2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, cam1218 said:

I mean yeah, it isn’t the best draft ever but I’ll gladly take the first pick. At the very least we can now look forward to everyone debating every single player now lol. 

anthony bennet

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Man!   Give Sarr one month in the lab with Kyle Korver, and that guy is going to be a legit three point shooting big.  

Lmao. This is why I say this is the most bias site on the web. If I like the guy, his ability to improve is massive. If I don't, he will never get any better. 

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

We all know that this is all fake!  Sarr has no shooting ability (Offense) and we've all been told this already.  Therefore, this just can't be true.  Someone selling Atlanta a dud!  He can't shoot!!

:ahf:

When my dude shows up...there is chaos afoot😂😂😂

IMB_20201207111456_PMkk.gif

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Seriously, this is a kid, he cannot drink alcohol for two more years.  Comparing him to a guy like Zach Edey who has been in college for 4 years posting up 6'4 accountants is so disingenuous.  He's been shooting in actual games with mild success.  His open gym jumper is nice but he's actually got game experience too -- he's not Ben Simmons in an open gym.  His starting point is much better than even Okongwu, who has a relatively serviceable shot now.  19, that's probably the most important data point on this guy.  By the time he's 22, he could be one of the elite bigs in the league.  We cannot tunnel vision on next seasons' results at the expense of our future.

This is so disrespectful and false. The amount of NBA bigs Edey has played is massively higher than Sarr. 

If i like the guy, the sky is the limit, if I don't, he sucks and can't get better. This is the BS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

It's positive but KB told me this ain't real when I tried to use it for Edey. 

I hope we don't. You can still tank and have a pulse. 

KB is full of it. I at least respect AHF for sticking to his guns

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

This is so disrespectful and false. The amount of NBA bigs Edey has played is massively higher than Sarr. 

If i like the guy, the sky is the limit, if I don't, he sucks and can't get better. This is the BS. 

If you were the Hawks GM, would you trade back and get more assets/players to take Edey later in the draft?  Or would you draft Sarr?

Just now, JeffS17 said:

If you were the Hawks GM, would you trade back and get more assets/players to take Edey later in the draft?  Or would you draft Sarr?

I am not the Hawks GM. There is not much of anything they are about to do which I would do. Just letting you know that in advanced.

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

I am not the Hawks GM. There is not much of anything they are about to do which I would do. Just letting you know that in advanced.

If you were the Hawks GM, would you trade back and get more assets/players to take Edey later in the draft?  Or would you draft Sarr?

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, akay said:

Just caught up on this thread and SO MUCH MORE BLEAK THAN YOU'D EXPECT FROM A TEAM THAT JUST WON THE LOTTERY.

It's like we've been conditioned for decades to be divided and split and have no hope in this team, but we finally won the lottery.

Our team currently has

- 1 All NBA PG

- 1 All-star-ish PG

- 1 #1 pick DEFENSIVE MINDED BIG MAN

- 1 JALEN JOHNSON

- Solid other players

Yall really wanna start tanking again? Yall really like being in the lottery this much? 

We just won the lottery and 90% of what I've read is complaining about the pick, complaining about Trae.

Fickle af fans here lol

Bottom line here is we are in a much MUCH better position now than we were 2 days ago, us getting this #1 pick is an inflection point for this franchises trajectory and can help us win our first chip finally.

We have some key ingredients in the championship recipe WITH Trae being here already, us getting an opportunity to draft EXACTLY the type of player that can cover Trae's weaknesses while Trae can cover his.

If Trae is able to make Damian Jones a serviceable big, IDC about the 19 year old freak athletes offensive prowess - we are the Hawks w/ Trae as our PG, getting big men easy looks is the first thing that happens on our floor.

Exciting times here having the potential to draft a guy that fits perfectly into our team in areas we desperately needed someone.

Finally for the first time in Trae's tenure since ECF do we have an opportunity to field a proper team with length and girth around our guy and I hope we do it and not just trade Trae for picks cause of mistakes we made in our past.

Really tired of us being in the lottery and watching a combo of Trae/Jalen/Sarr in the playoffs would bring a huge smile on my face.

Trading our top 15 player for picks is not winning mentality IMO, and Hawks will continue to churn in this dumb mid purgatory as we have been, which I would love to avoid.

Sarr is showing off all his goods at the combine right now, awesome time to be a Hawks fan fr!!

Can imagine how much it has sucked being one for the past 30-40 years if that's been the case with some of you, but we on the come up here - Let's enjoy 😛

I want to go on record as saying I am absolutely not team "trade Trae."  I am excited AF because we're going to draft the only player that I have evaluated in this draft and thought that we had zero chance of getting him.  While at the same time, we're at least having conversations about THE one player who has been at the top of my wish list for years now.

I'm just a little, more than a little, confused that we've made some Hawks history and our franchise player - who make no mistake has something to say about a lot of things - has said nothing about our lottery luck.  This is the same guy who literally just offered unsolicited opinions about a previous #1 pick who will likely never suit up for ATL.  I don't know what it means, but it is very curious to say the least.

He also just tweeted late yesterday, well after the lottery results came in...so it's not like he's AFK.  Just saying...it's kinda weird for me.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Seriously, this is a kid, he cannot drink alcohol for two more years.  Comparing him to a guy like Zach Edey who has been in college for 4 years posting up 6'4 accountants is so disingenuous.  He's been shooting in actual games with mild success.  His open gym jumper is nice but he's actually got game experience too -- he's not Ben Simmons in an open gym.  His starting point is much better than even Okongwu, who has a relatively serviceable shot now.  19, that's probably the most important data point on this guy.  By the time he's 22, he could be one of the elite bigs in the league.  We cannot tunnel vision on next seasons' results at the expense of our future.

I agree.  He needs a few minor tweaks to his shooting release, but there is clear ability there.  He's not bringing the ball behind his head on his jumper.  It's a very smooth release.  I think he's losing some consistency right at the top of his jumper, and that's something Kyle Korver can iron out very quickly at Hawks University.  Look at OO.  I knew OO would eventually be able to shoot from the perimeter, and he gets one offseason with Quin and this staff and makes a big jump as a perimeter shooter.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I want to go on record as saying I am absolutely not team "trade Trae."  I am excited AF because we're going to draft the only player that I have evaluated in this draft and thought that we had zero chance of getting him.  While at the same time, we're at least having conversations about THE one player who has been at the top of my wish list for years now.

I'm just a little, more than a little, confused that we've made some Hawks history and our franchise player - who make no mistake has something to say about a lot of things - has said nothing about our lottery luck.  This is the same guy who literally just offered unsolicited opinions about a previous #1 pick who will likely never suit up for ATL.  I don't know what it means, but it is very curious to say the least.

He also just tweeted late yesterday, well after the lottery results came in...so it's not like he's AFK.  Just saying...it's kinda weird for me.

I'm in no way a trade Trae fan.  However, if he is not onboard, end the damn drama and go.  I think this franchise needs and all-in guy.  I used to think that was Trae.  Too damn iffy now.  Whatever happens, Landry better get it right.  I hate hearing him talk.  Yuck.  Sounds like he's guessing.  A dumb GM could understand why Sarr is a fit and Trae should be committed.  If not, plan B immejiately.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, deester11 said:

I'm in no way a trade Trae fan.  However, if he is not onboard, end the damn drama and go.  I think this franchise needs and all-in guy.  I used to think that was Trae.  Too damn iffy now.  Whatever happens, Landry better get it right.  I hate hearing him talk.  Yuck.  Sounds like he's guessing.  A dumb GM could understand why Sarr is a fit and Trae should be committed.  If not, plan B immejiately.

Trae's commitment to the Hawks should never be questioned.  He hasn't asked out, and he wants to win in Atlanta.  However, he wants to win, and if Atlanta's direction isn't to win, then and only then will he ask to be moved to a winning team.  

• Like 2