• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hunter's Place

Dragitoff

There's a ton of discussion about Trae vs. DJ, Capela vs. OO, etc. There's also the clear understanding that you have to surround Trae with defenders and guys that can hit 3's.  In theory, Dre fits that bill perfectly, but in reality, he can't stay on the floor consistently.  He disappears a lot as well, but honestly, I've got less complaints with that than his overall health.  In a reasonable sample size, he performed exceptionally off the bench last season, but it's rare you see a team paying a player like what he's making for 20-24 MPG, especially one with tight purse strings like the Hawks have generally operating in. 

I saw it stated a few days ago on this forum, if there was a deal to be made for Hunter, it would've already been made.  While that may very well be true, I also wonder how this front office really values Hunter and his place on this team if Trae or anyone else is leading the charge.  Is he viewed as a negative asset and only kind of deals would be swapping for someone like Andrew Wiggins, who is also considered a negative asset currently, but has the potential to be an improvement in the right situation?  If Detroit misses out on Tobias Harris (how sad is your franchise that he's your primary, and realistic target?) or other FA's, would they entertain a deal to absorb Hunter's contract while sending back someone like Quentin Grimes?  If so, is that a deal the Hawks should entertain? 

I really can't pin down Hunter's value so I'm hopeful some candid discussions here can enlighten us all.  🤣

• Moderators

It's a great question.   Honestly the best thing to happen last season was there seemed to be some chemistry developing on the team.  I also don't think that Hunter is a guy who fits in well personality wise with a lot of stronger personalities unless they go out of their way to like him.  Which it seems like DJ, very wisely, did.  

Hunter is just a damn good player with a weird personality for an nba player.  I think it would be good for both parties to move on but it would definitely create a big hole at the 3.   

So all that is to say i have no idea what to do with Hunter.   I'm happy to keep him but not at the expense of losing Trae to stay under the tax.

If we trade for Ingram, i think you're right that Hunter is going to be too expensive for this franchise off the bench.    

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's a great question.   Honestly the best thing to happen last season was there seemed to be some chemistry developing on the team.  I also don't think that Hunter is a guy who fits in well personality wise with a lot of stronger personalities unless they go out of their way to like him.  Which it seems like DJ, very wisely, did.  

Hunter is just a damn good player with a weird personality for an nba player.  I think it would be good for both parties to move on but it would definitely create a big hole at the 3.   

So all that is to say i have no idea what to do with Hunter.   I'm happy to keep him but not at the expense of losing Trae to stay under the tax.

If we trade for Ingram, i think you're right that Hunter is going to be too expensive for this franchise off the bench.    

In my original post, I threw out 2 hypothetical trade scenarios featuring players who are or were regarded at one time as solid wing defenders.  Herb Jones is the golden goose of what we'd like as a wing defender, but he's not currently available.  Can a wing rotation of Ingram/Wiggins (starters) and Bogi/Daniels (bench) defend enough and score enough or is that setting our sights too low?

Besides his injury issues (and questionable defensive intensity and ability). Deandre cant be the guy we need him to be because doesn’t impact the game if his shot isn’t falling and ironically, for a poor ball handler, needs the ball in his hands to get to his spots. On the second team he was able to seek his shot more versus in the starting 5 where he was playing a secondary role. 

The result is that he largely defers to other more talented/aggressive players when he is playing with DJ, Trae, and now Jalen. It’s not that he isn’t a player with a skill set. He’s a player that can’t play the role we are asking for him. And because of that we need to either move him to the second unit permanently or upgrade him. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

In my original post, I threw out 2 hypothetical trade scenarios featuring players who are or were regarded at one time as solid wing defenders.  Herb Jones is the golden goose of what we'd like as a wing defender, but he's not currently available.  Can a wing rotation of Ingram/Wiggins (starters) and Bogi/Daniels (bench) defend enough and score enough or is that setting our sights too low?

I'm not a big Wiggins fan.  Not sure who we start at the 2 next year.   If we trade for Ingram i think he starts at the 3 for sure.   I could see Bogi starting at the 2 for now.  I know that's a defensive problem but it's effective.  And we have Kobe coming along.  

Anyway out defense will take a hit if we trade Hunter but overall team defense can still improve.

I don't know if i'm answering the questions. 

12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not a big Wiggins fan.  Not sure who we start at the 2 next year.   If we trade for Ingram i think he starts at the 3 for sure.   I could see Bogi starting at the 2 for now.  I know that's a defensive problem but it's effective.  And we have Kobe coming along.  

Anyway out defense will take a hit if we trade Hunter but overall team defense can still improve.

I don't know if i'm answering the questions. 

I think it's valid.  I like Bogi off the bench, even if he's playing starter-type minutes.  His secondary playmaking is a sorely needed thing for this team, especially when Trae goes to the bench.  His pull on defenses who have to closely defend his shooting will help open lanes for guys like Dyson Daniels should he be part of a trade with NO.  DD can't shoot so he needs other shooters around him to open the lane.  His POA defense would help mask some of Bogi's limitations.  It's funny, I worry more about the starters than what the bench would be should some of these deals come to pass.  FWIW, I'm not a Wiggins fan.  I chose him because he's generally considered as a negative value contract and some would argue Hunter is as well.  During GSW's last title run, he was their best wing defender.  He's also been a really good scorer on bad teams.  Could he take over as our perimeter stopper and be someone who occasionally lights it up?  I think his deal is a year shorter than Hunters as well. 

• Moderators

Hunter is much more valuable than Wiggins.  I think Hunter would return some value if trades even if it would be disappointing.  I think GS would have to attach a valuable pick to Wiggins to get anyone to bite.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AHF said:

Hunter is much more valuable than Wiggins.  I think Hunter would return some value if trades even if it would be disappointing.  I think GS would have to attach a valuable pick to Wiggins to get anyone to bite.

I don't think they can trade a FRP until 2026.  At the rate of their decline, I don't know that I wouldn't mind a pick from them that's not too far into the future. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

I don't think they can trade a FRP until 2026.  At the rate of their decline, I don't know that I wouldn't mind a pick from them that's not too far into the future. 

An unprotected pick in that timeframe would have a lot of value.  A protected pick, not as much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What's the word on Hunter not showing up for his exit interview?

@Sothron @thecampster @NBASupes @Mikey @Vol4ever

I think it was excused for some kind of personal reason. Hunter was not a fan of Quin at first but he really bought in last season and had by far IMO his best season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m pretty sure Hunter is seen as a negative value contract.  You can probably only trade him as salary filler or for other negative value players.  But you might be able to find another negative value player or players that’s a better fit for us.  

He’s not gonna fetch an unprotected 1st round pick in the 2025 or 2026 draft.  Get real.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

I’m pretty sure Hunter is seen as a negative value contract.  You can probably only trade him as salary filler or for other negative value players.  But you might be able to find another negative value player or players that’s a better fit for us.  

He’s not gonna fetch an unprotected 1st round pick in the 2025 or 2026 draft.  Get real.

Yep, maybe if he was on a $10-15M/year contract, definitely not at $23M+

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, JustSomeGuy said:

Legit question. Is Vit a better fit in our starting group than Hunter? 

To be clear I’m not saying he is a better individual player, but chemistry wise. 

I like Vit as a depth guy after the top 10 or so spots on our roster are filled but don't have confidence in him in a starting role.  I feel like we need better options than him in our core rotation.  Hopefully he will blow by my expectations next year and make me look stupid for doubting him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I like Vit as a depth guy after the top 10 or so spots on our roster are filled but don't have confidence in him in a starting role.  I feel like we need better options than him in our core rotation.  Hopefully he will blow by my expectations next year and make me look stupid for doubting him.

I don’t disagree. I guess the better question is more a player LIKE Vit.

Looking around the playoffs I see every team with a scrappy glue guy in their core rotation and we don’t have that. Those guys are critical to building a winning environment. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JustSomeGuy said:

I don’t disagree. I guess the better question is more a player LIKE Vit.

Looking around the playoffs I see every team with a scrappy glue guy in their core rotation and we don’t have that. Those guys are critical to building a winning environment. 

I would love it if the guy we draft turns out to fit this early in his career.  Would be an amazing base to build on if he was adding to the team and mentally approaching the game like that.

• Like 1