Hawks to throw all their $ at Dalembert & Watson??

Admin

# Hawks summer blueprint: Just when you thought the Hawks were without hope, rookie Josh Smith is starting to prove the team's brass got something right last summer.

Josh Smith

Forward

Atlanta Hawks

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

21 6.9 4.0 1.3 .491 .649

Smith has played well enough – and the rest of the team has played awful enough – that the Hawks are seriously beginning to figure out how to free up more minutes for him. The latest word has them actively shopping Antoine Walker so Al Harrington can move to his natural position, power forward, and Smith can move into the starting lineup at small forward.

Whatever the Hawks do, they'll still do it with an eye toward the future. They want to maintain their cap flexibility for next summer.

Two sources told Insider this weekend the Hawks already have decided to throw all of their money this summer at two young free agents – the Sixers' Samuel Dalembert and the Grizzlies' Earl Watson. Dalembert has big fans among the Hawks coaching staff. Mike Woodson and Herb Brown both coached him in Philly. GM Billy Knight is a big Watson fan and thinks he'll come at an affordable price.

Put those two on the floor with Harrington, Smith and a top lottery pick, and the future would suddenly look much, much brighter in Atlanta.

# Slammin' Sammy still on the block? The Hawks and Nets aren't the only teams who are high on Dalembert. A number of teams, from the Mavericks to the Suns, have made inquiries the past few weeks.

Samuel Dalembert

Center

Philadelphia 76ers

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

18 5.2 6.9 0.6 .466 .545

You'd think any negative thoughts coach Jim O'Brien had toward Dalembert would have been erased over the past two weeks with Sammy in the starting lineup.

However, several teams claim the Sixers aren't hanging up the phone when callers ask about Dalembert. Instead Sixers' GM Billy King is telling them he's in a "wait-and-see" mode with his young center.

King and several of the members of his staff want to hang on to Dalembert. But it appears O'Brien still isn't sold. With Dalembert hitting restricted free agency this summer, the Sixers know he's going to get a huge offer from someone. If O'Brien isn't willing to match it, they might be better off cutting their losses now.

I would welcome Watson and Sammy with open arms. They are both playing 22-24 mpg and still contributing.

I would like see Walker dealt, the team doesn't function well with the ball in his hands, everyone just seems to become stagnant on offense.

I would also like to throw some money towards Swift's way, only if we can. You imagine with a lineup on the floor with Sammy, Stro and J-Smoove, you can say block party?

Looks pretty nice a team looking like this

Watson/Ivey/Donta Smith

Chill/Diaw/Donta Smith

Smoove

Al/Collier

Sammy/Peja/Collier

Then we have 5 opening roster spots. Two which will be occupied with our first round pick and second round pick and 3 others via free agency(role players)

But that's not the only Walker trade rumor floating around.

According to Ford, there was an unfounded – and bizarre – rumor recently that the Celtics were talking with the Hawks about shipping Ricky Davis, Gary Payton and Michael Stewart to the Hawks for Walker. However a Celtics source told Insider the team isn't interested in reacquiring Walker.

Atlanta trades: PF Antoine Walker (20.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 3.3 apg in 40.6 minutes)

Atlanta receives: Michael Stewart (No games yet played in 2004/05)

PG Gary Payton (13.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 6.7 apg in 33.9 minutes)

SG Ricky Davis (15.0 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.7 apg in 33.6 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +7.5 ppg, -3.2 rpg, and +6.1 apg.

Boston trades: Michael Stewart (No games yet played in 2004/05)

Boston receives: PF Antoine Walker (20.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 3.3 apg in 40.6 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -7.5 ppg, +3.2 rpg, and -6.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Boston being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Boston had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been assigned Trade ID number 2098593

Payton is a one year rental, but could possibly have some success here this year. We lose some financial freedom next year due to Davis' contract, although his contract is pretty good considering the production he brings. However, this would stunt the development of Childress and I dont know how comfortable I would be with Davis and being stuck with him for 3 more years. This could be a fun team to watch though:

GP

Davis

Smooth

Harrington

Drobs

Personally I think that ALL talks have to start with Al Jefferson and whatever else it takes to make the salaries work. Something like this:

Atlanta trades: PF Antoine Walker (20.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 3.3 apg in 40.6 minutes)

PG Tony Delk (11.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.0 apg in 27.5 minutes)

Atlanta receives: PF Al Jefferson (6.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.1 apg in 14.8 minutes)

Michael Stewart (No games yet played in 2004/05)

Change in team outlook: +2.5 ppg, -2.2 rpg, and +4.2 apg.

Boston trades: PF Al Jefferson (6.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.1 apg in 14.8 minutes)

Michael Stewart (No games yet played in 2004/05)

Boston receives: PF Antoine Walker (20.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 3.3 apg in 40.6 minutes)

PG Tony Delk (11.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.0 apg in 27.5 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -2.5 ppg, +2.2 rpg, and -4.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Boston being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Boston had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been assigned Trade ID number 2098617

• Premium Member

I don't know if it's all that Bad. My bet is that GP retires immediately and that Yogi is given his picnic basket and told to go his way...

So it becomes Davis for Walker.

Considering Walker is leaving anyway, you get a very productive 2 out of the deal.

I might agree with you... Not for the sake of stunting Childress' growth... I think that it leaves us open at Pf. Period... I don't think Harrington can play PF.

Davis is an ok player but I would just as soon try and develop Childress, Diaw or Donta. Ricky is a guy who gets good stats on bad teams. He is making somewhat of a turn around this season helping the Celtics have a little success but I think it helps that Boston has established vets like Pierce and Payton. Atlanta would not have that and I DEFINTELY do not want Davis to be a role model for Josh or the other rooks.

Again, there is a reason Cleveland got Davis away from LeBron.

We got all that cap space to sign Watson and Dalembert?

What a waste. Watson and Dalembert have been okay players, but nothing great.

I would prefer us spending money on known commodities. Players that have established themselves in this league.

If we blow all our money on these two, we better start winning in the next few years or we should just get rid of Knight now.

Is he going to stake his job as Atlanta GM on the signings of Dalembert and Watson? These signings I'm sure will get the city of Atlanta excited about next year. I can see the promotions now, "Don't miss your exciting Hawks in 2005 with Earl Watson and Samual Dalembert. Get your tickets today."

I know they want to win with the team concept, but come on even the Pistons got decent players. Billups and Ben Wallace were good players in this league and showed flashes of what they can do. Rasheed Wallace is a star in this league.

My point is I can not beleive we are staking our future on these two free agents that have proven very little in this league. We are going on potential, well you better be right with that potential. Right now, it seems like it will be a waste of money.

Maybe I can overlook this if we sign both of these guys and still have money to go after a premiere player.

P

Billups and Wallace were journeymen until they got to the Pistons. I think the point of signing players like Watson and Dalembert, a point you seem to miss, is that the Hawks are trying to develop star players through the draft (think Josh Swith, maybe Childress and whomever they draft next year) and acquire complementary players such as Dalembert and Watson through free agency. That is a pretty proven formula.

Dalembert is a good shot blocker who rotates well on the defensive end, and Watson has been a very good defender for Memphis. That is why Watson has been getting more minutes under Fratello than Jason Williams. Watson is a very good defender that actually runs the offense better than Williams.

The Hawks brass realizes what I've been saying all along. This team must get better defensively before they will get better overall.

They have been journey men, but they showed more than both Watson and Dalembert. Let's not even bring up Childress, the only thing he has proven is that he shouldn't have been picked with the 6th overall pick.

Listen I don't mind signing those guys, however if use all of our cap space for just those two guys and our draft picks. Then I really don't see that as being a wise investment. Swift has just as much promise as Dalembert and in my opinion has more of an upside. Ray Allen is better than any of these guys. There other free agents this upcoming this year that could do the same as these guys that we should be throwing all of our money at before Watson and Dalembert. Just my opinion.

P

Quote:

They have been journey men, but they showed more than both Watson and Dalembert. Let's not even bring up Childress, the only thing he has proven is that he shouldn't have been picked with the 6th overall pick.

Just for the record, Ben Wallace's best year prior to joining the pistons was: 26.8 minutes per game, 6 pts, 8.4 rebounds and 2 blocks. Last year, Dalembert averaged 26.8 minutes, 8 pts, 7.7 rebounds and 2.3 blocks. So they are pretty close in terms of "what they showed." Plus, Dalembert put up even bigger numbers - I think a double double - for a 10 plus game stretch at the end of the year, that is why people talk about him so much.

Watson's best year is this year, which is comperable to Billups best pre-pistons year except Watson is average 8 pts and Billups averaged 12.4 in about 4 minutes more per game.

The main point is the Hawks are not targeting these guys to throw all their free agent money, just some.

I would love to have Ray Allen, but being realistic it is not a likely probability. Dalembert and Watson are within the realm of possibility, and I think they would be good signings. I would take Dalembert over Swift (though for less money) only because he is more of a true center and I think the Hawks will be set at forward with Harrington and J. Smith.

Quote:

] Let's not even bring up Childress, the only thing he has proven is that he shouldn't have been picked with the 6th overall pick.

????

look at his stats when he gets 20 or more minutes in a game...in those games, his stats are as good as/better than both walker AND harrington...he's also better defensively than those 2 combined...

he's also doing better than prince in his rookie year...chill is doing as well as expected and would be doing more if not for smoove...

once we move walker, look to see chill/smoove/harrington on the floor a lot and u'll see how good chill is...

chill is 16/8/5/4/2 (points/rebs/ass/steals/blocks) in Harrington/Walker minutes when he plays 25+ minutes per game!

i'm sorry, but 16/8 as a rookie, especially with 5/4/2, is DAMN good...only garnett gets 20/10/5...chill would get 16/8/5...so in a year or two, he could easily be close to 20/10/5...

There is a big difference between Swift and Dalembert. Swift is a power forward playing out of position as a center out of need. Dalembert is a legitimate 6'11" center.

I don't buy that Billy will use all of his cap money on those guys. Billy doesn't work that way. He works and works so he doesn't have to overpay.

I still believe that Billy wants to bring Swift in as well.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't buy that Billy will use all of his cap money on those guys. Billy doesn't work that way. He works and works so he doesn't have to overpay.

Unless you don't consider the $ he offered to Martin or Dampier "overpaying," this isn't true.

What Knight has shown is a willingness to spend on frontcourt players...Dalembert would be no different.

And I don't imagine him spending a ton on Watson, just more than Memphis... smile.gif

We need to spend whatever it takes to go after Joe Johson from Phoenix. He is having a great season and he is a restricted FA at the end of the year. They have dished out big money already for Q. Richardson & S. Nash so they will not throw big money to Joe. With our number 1, we should draft either C. Paul for PG or T. Splitter for PF.

If you have a starting 5 of Watson/Childress/Harrington/Smith/Dalembert, who is going to score? They'll get a few dunks, but no one can hit a jump shot! That is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Why is everyone so high on Dalembert anyway? What has he done? I'd much rather have Swift. And for those people who say he's not a true center, let me say this: there are only 2 true centers in the NBA. One will retire in a couple of years, and the other is in the western conference. If the plan is these two guys, it will prove that this organization will always be pathetic.

"Why is everyone so high on Dalembert anyway?"

- if it makes u feel any better, im not high on DALEMBERT either. i dont think he sucks, but i also dont think hes worth this much talk on hawksquawk.

"there are only 2 true centers in the NBA."

- i agree, if ur 6'10" and taller... can box out, rebound with the big boys and play bigger than u are (similar to Ben Wallace), then ur gonna play CENTER in this league! same goes w/ PGs. theres only a few legit playmaking PGs in this league. but if ur 6'3" and smaller, then ur gonna play PG in the league whether or not u like it- unless ur a gifted scorer like ALLEN IVERSON (who can pass as a SG).

-----------------------------------------------------

i personally think we should do EVERYTHING it takes to get RAY ALLEN. that should be our #1 goal in the offseason.