• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks fans.... Daly or Bogut??

Diesel

• Premium Member

Let's postulate for a moment.

Suppose we get the #1 pick in the draft.

It's looking real good that we can get Dalembert. He's a player Woodson and his staff really likes. I think Philly has sealed it's faith by taking CWebb. Moneywise, Cwebb will make more than the guys he was traded for. Also, Philly wants Korver/Green too. So let's suppose we can get to both Korver and Daly. We tell Korver that if he doesn't sign an extension with Philly we will make him a worthy offer that Philly would have to beat.

We use that leverage to go after Daly who is a rFA. We know that Philly likes Korver more. If we go after Daly, we'd have to offer him enough money to make Philly Blink and Gulp Big.

Would you use the #1 on Paul or Williams in hopes of building a team or would you take Bogut and forget about Daly?

The Hawks are definitely in a position to force teams to sign their players to inflated contracts, and I think they will do that. If we sign Dalembert, and Bogut is #1 on our board we should still take Bogut. Watching the Bulls the other night I saw the advantage of having 4 capable post players, and playing 11 players deep. Since we have no one at center, and both Smoove and Harrington might not work out as PFs, we should draft Bogut regardless of who we sign.

I got this from Draftcity.com the writer gives his reasons why Bogut should stay in school.

Marty Blake, NBA scouting director, said Danny Granger and Andrew Bogut will both make fine professional basketball players, but he isn't dubbing them draft stars.

Blake was one of about two dozen pro scouts who watched Granger, New Mexico's all-everything senior forward, and Bogut, Utah's larger-than-life sophomore center, duke it out in The Pit on Monday night. He called it an exciting game with a dynamic Pit crowd, but added it paled in comparison to the talent players face on an average night in the NBA.

Without the elite competition, Blake said, fans are getting an inflated view of the Mountain West Conference's biggest studs.

"Granger's a great athlete, but don't let anybody tell you he's a first-round pick," Blake said. "I'm not saying he's not going to be a first-round pick, but there's going to be 26 Europeans with a lot of experience entering the draft this year, and you'll have five or six solid high school kids.

"I think he's an NBA player, but most of these college players have a long way to go."

Bogut, who posted a breakout performance in the summer Olympics for his native Australia, earned an equally harsh assessment.

"Bogut has got a great future, but he needs to stay in school," Blake said. "He'll get stronger and develop a better hook shot if he stays in school. He is not playing against people his size. There are no centers. This is a kid with tremendous international experience. He's no secret, which means he's expected to be a good player."

Blake has plenty of experience to back up his assessment. He is considered a pro scouting guru after 45 years working in the NBA, including 17 years as general manager of the Atlanta Hawks.

He said Granger is getting good publicity but would benefit from appearing in all-star games once his Lobo career is over.

Granger has been invited to play in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, an all-star event, Blake said, that has showcased past NBA stars Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman and Willis Reed.

Blake also expects Granger to earn invitations to the NBA's biggest draft camp in Chicago and another all-star game in St. Louis.

"He's going to have the opportunity to play the best players in the world," Blake said. "I hope he'll take the advice of most people and go play in these postseason events.

If this is true maybe we need to stay away from Bogut but only time will tell. I don't want to draft Williams or Paul with our #1pick. Williams just causes to much confusing on whom will be a Starting Smallforward of the future and Paul isn't worth the top pick. If it came to this I would rather trade down and get Utah's picks. We could possibly end up with 3first rounders.

• Premium Member

Bogut is not playing against good competition. I think the best competition he's had thus far was Channing Frye and Frye is definitely not a world beater. In fact, most of the game Bogut stayed at the 3 pt line which sickens me to see a 7 footer hoisting up 3s...

Still, I think it's worth it to get him in a couple of tourney games and into some personal workouts... 2 if we think we want him...

The point about Daly is at least we have some idea of what he can do. I would hate to see Bogut become the next Chris Mihm or Loren Woods... Guys who had really good college careers but couldn't turn the corner in the pros.

• Admin

really, everything about what he said made me think "this guy doesn't like the idea of players leaving college for the NBA, period".

But if you read what he said, physically he doesn't think Grainger is ready. His only knock on Bogut was that "he has no competition". Well, to me, it sounds like HE IS ready for the NBA. Because that's where you get the competition. If the kid has no competition now, he's not going to have it for the next two years at the college level either.

Now, I try to avoid getting caught up in draft hype. I want to see how he does in the tourney AND in the draft invitationals. If he comes out and shows that he's got the goods, then I say we take him.

• Moderators

Bogut has done alright against some good players:

Quote:

Positioned against two-time NBA MVP Tim Duncan, the 7-foot Bogut acquitted himself well, outscoring Duncan 9-8 and matching him with a floor-high five rebounds in the opening half.

"He's strong, but not the strongest player I've ever played against. New Zealand has some very strong guys," Bogut said of Duncan, specifically mentioning 286-pound Kiwi center Pero Cameron. "But it's obvious why he's MVP. At least I can see I can play at that level. If I keep playing against this kind of competition and keep learning, it's got to help."

Duncan ended the game with 18 points and 11 rebounds, both game highs.

Bogut finished with 11 points and eight boards. The 19-year-old Aussie center, the second-youngest player on the floor (NBA Rookie of the Year LeBron James, who had eight points, is one month younger), picked up his third foul, against Duncan, early in the third quarter when Australia had stretched its lead to nine, 58-49. Bogut was taken out and Duncan made both free throws, starting an 8-0 U.S. run that paved the way for the fourth quarter blitz that broke open the game.

Quote:

Bogut has done alright against some good players:

Quote:

Positioned against two-time NBA MVP Tim Duncan, the 7-foot Bogut acquitted himself well, outscoring Duncan 9-8 and matching him with a floor-high five rebounds in the opening half.

"He's strong, but not the strongest player I've ever played against. New Zealand has some very strong guys," Bogut said of Duncan, specifically mentioning 286-pound Kiwi center Pero Cameron. "But it's obvious why he's MVP. At least I can see I can play at that level. If I keep playing against this kind of competition and keep learning, it's got to help."

Duncan ended the game with 18 points and 11 rebounds, both game highs.

Bogut finished with 11 points and eight boards. The 19-year-old Aussie center, the second-youngest player on the floor (NBA Rookie of the Year LeBron James, who had eight points, is one month younger), picked up his third foul, against Duncan, early in the third quarter when Australia had stretched its lead to nine, 58-49. Bogut was taken out and Duncan made both free throws, starting an 8-0 U.S. run that paved the way for the fourth quarter blitz that broke open the game.

The article suggests that when Bogut left the floor, the US had there way. If Bogut does well in the tourney and in personal workouts, I would draft him.

Diesel is once again spouting off with no clue. So you hate to see a 7' center shooting threes. Apperently you watched an amazing game, since looking at Bogut's stats to date he has only attempted 13 threes all year (4/11 all of last year). So did he take all 13 in the Arizona game? oh wait a minute Diesel look at the box score Bogut 2/4 from three. So he took 4 threes and made 2. Yep hate to see my big man step out there all game and chuck threes. I mean all 4 of them from a guy shooting a better % from there then anybody on the Hawks. Sat out there and did nothing? I guess below when it says he likes to stay at home to get on the glass is wrong too, uh?

For good measure, an unbiased opinion:

Scouting Report: Many believe him to be the top player in the nation ... Was on NBA scouts' radar screens before he ever even arrived at Utah ... Widely expected to enter the draft after his sophomore campaign, and a projected lottery selection ... Has incredible hands ... Snatches rebounds like he has Velcro attached to them ... Possesses a dynamic low post game ... Great drop step ... Shoots a high percentage because he can set himself up so well down low with his footwork ... Extremely fluid, he has as much finesse as he does brawn with his back to the bucket ... Possesses excellent touch to complete his execution ... Range extends out to beyond the 3-point arc ... Tremendously gifted passer at 7-0 ... Owns a great feel for the game ... Highly productive shot-blocker, but perhaps not as prolific as one might hope ... Not a run/jump athlete, and prefers to stay at home defensively to keep himself in rebounding position.

so Bogut's not ready for the NBA because his jump hook isn't refined? oh brother.

anyway, if we can get Philly to bid for Daly, we can at least get Corver who is a good young talent to have.

think about this..due to this situation, Philly has two players which would be attractive to us- Dalem, and Corver.

Washington also has two- Larry Hughes, and Kwame.

by making both of those teams have to big high for one of those players, we could basically outbid for the other without having to go too high.

so you could essentially get something like Kwame Brown and Corver..man I hope Billy does his thing this offseason..

I don't believe he watched the game. I think he looked at the box score and saw 4 shots taken from 3 pt range and concluded that Bogut hung out behind the arc.

Why do so many people on this board look at box scores and speak about them as if they watched the entire game and did the color commentary.

• Premium Member

Quote:

think about this..due to this situation, Philly has two players which would be attractive to us- Dalem, and Corver.

so you could essentially get something like Kwame Brown and Corver..man I hope Billy does his thing this offseason..

Why do so many posters here have this hard on for Korver. He a decent shooter but his field goal percentage is 41% and his game is one dimensional. Hardly a guy I would Throw a lot of money at in free agency!

Kwame won't be "cheap" this year no matter what. Washington will at the very least pick up his RFA option this year which is almost 7 million. If we want to sign him, we'd have to be higher than that amount. IMO, Kwame Brown isn't worth 8 million/year. Washington won't be too far over the cap to not be able to sign Hughes & Brown.

Philly on the other hand is a whole different story...

They will be way over the cap and I doubt very seriously they would want to match offers for both Korver & Daly. They'll also want to re-sign Willie Green as well. By my count, they have at least 61 million in guaranteed contracts next year, it's actually more than that though as they'll owe a percentage of Mashburn's salary. If they matched offers for Korver, Daly & re-signed Green, they could very easily end up with a cap figure that exceeds 80 or maybe even 90 million dollars. They may even pass Dallas for 2nd on the salary list. Nobody is going to catch up to Zeke in New York though.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Plus Korver is something the Hawks desperately need: a good long range jump shooter.

But he shoots a low percentage! You can find all around the league that shoot better like a Chuckie Atkins for example! Why him. You guy talk as though he is the best or something.

Chuckie Atkins???

Atkins fg% is only marginally higher @ .435 compared to Korver at .412 I would be willing to bet the reason Atkins' percentage is higher is because Chuck Atkins makes way more lay-ups being a point guard and driving to the basket. Korver is a spot-up type player. He doesn't get many lay-ups or opportunities to score that are shorter than about 20 feet away.

Atkins 3pt% (.390) is actually lower than Korver (.412)

Korver is leading the entire NBA in 3 point field goals made per game.

Did I mention he's only in his second year. The kid is only going to get better.

Is he worth big money? No. Should we offer him a contract as a free agent? Absolutely.

Now I'm not sportin a bonner for the guy, but these are the facts:

~We have no one that can knock down a three consistantly.

~Korver is on a team that likely will not be able to afford his services next year.

~He can probably be had for a reasonable amount.

~He's one of the more promising young players in the league.

• Premium Member

Actually... Wrong...

I watched the game.

It was before I was interested in Bogut. I was look to see Zona and S. Stoudamire. It just so happen that they were playing Utah...

I have some friends who watch every college basketball game that is played. I don't watch that many, but I watch enough to see what is coming and also to try to do well in the NCAA tourney...