• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Take Marvin regardless.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Unless Bogut is available, the Hawks should take Marvin Williams.

Why? Because they can always trade him for Paul or Deron or Felton. In the process, they can pickup another chip in the development process (e.g., a young role player).

If they can't trade him, they can trade Harrington and try to play like the Suns (i.e., move guys up one position).

Its easy for us to say we can always trade so and so, but there is no way to know for sure if we can do that. Honestly I would like to see us come away with Deron and an extra pick, future pick, or young player. Maybe we can trade with the Bobcats for Gerald Wallace and their pick which we take Deron with.

I think the Bobcats are dying to get their hands on Marvin, so if the Bucks take Bogut, it's very likely that Billy would have the opportunity to trade down for Charlotte's picks. Question is, should he do that? I've loved Marvin all along and would be ecstatic if the Hawks got him, but we need all the help we can get.

• Moderators

If the Hawks like Deron they should draft Marvin and hope that Deron falls to Charlotte and, if so, consumate a trade at that point. They could also make a trade with NO for their pick and Magloire or some other good player if the Hornets are still trying to shed salary (see giving away Baron Davis for next to nothing).

Marvin is basically a 6'9 230 lb tweener..He is a perimeter oriented player..He has no low post game to speak of and is a subpar defender which is why he didn't start for NC. He may develope a low post game and become a better defensive player but that is not a given. I also think it is not as easy as people think to draft the "best player available " then trade to fill holes on your team..Nobody ever trades a servicable 5 for a wing player..Wing players are plentiful.

• Moderators

Quote:

Nobody ever trades a servivable 5 for a wing player..Wing players are plentiful.

Is there a servicable 5 available at the 2nd pick in the draft? No.

However, I do think that Al Harrington could be moved for a competent point guard or draft pick usable to land a PG.

We also could easily end up with someone like Memphis's first round pick and taking Jarett Jack if we send them a future second rounder and some cash.

On 790 this morning they had an interview with Billy and Dominique. Billy said he was going to the the BPA. He said it that how it is done and refereed back to the Bowie/Jordan draft. The BPA will probably be Marvin Williams. I don't know how the ownershiop feels about that but I think most of them won't veto his pick.

As far as trading down for another pick, I'm not fimiliar enough with Billy Knight to know whether he has done that before with other teams. If anyone does know if he's done that before please post the example. He just doesn't seem like a change my stripes type of guy. If he has a history if keeping his top picks and not trading down I don't think that will change.

• Moderators

I agree that Marvin does not fill a need for us. However, if you were looking back at a draft like the 1998 nba draft and were picking 3rd (and for the sake of argument assume Dirk is not available) who would you have this Atlanta team draft?

I would go for one of the SG/SFs in Carter or Pierce over players that fill needs like LaFrentz, Williams, etc.

3 Raef LaFrentz (PF) USA Denver Nuggets University of Kansas

4 Antawn Jamison (F) USA Toronto Raptors (traded to Golden State Warriors) University of North Carolina

5 Vince Carter (GF) USA Golden State Warriors (traded to Toronto Raptors) University of North Carolina

6 Robert Traylor (PF) USA Dallas Mavericks (traded to Milwaukee Bucks) University of Michigan

7 Jason Williams (PG) USA Sacramento Kings University of Florida

8 Larry Hughes (SG) USA Philadelphia 76ers Saint Louis University

10 Paul Pierce (SG) USA Boston Celtics University of Kansas

11 Bonzi Wells (SG) USA Detroit Pistons Ball State University

12 Michael Doleac © USA Orlando Magic University of Utah

13 Keon Clark (PF) USA Orlando Magic (from Golden State Warriors via Washington Wizards) UNLV

14 Michael Dickerson (SG) USA Houston Rockets University of Arizona

15 Matt Harpring (SF) USA Orlando Magic (from New Jersey Nets) Georgia Tech

16 Bryce Drew (PG) USA Houston Rockets Valparaiso University

17 Radoslav Nesterovic © Slovenia Minnesota Timberwolves Virtus Bologna (Italy)

18 Mirsad Turkcan (PF) Turkey Houston Rockets (from Toronto Raptors via Portland Trail Blazers) Efes Pilsen (Turkey)

I think Billy Knight will get togther with the owners, and the coaching staff to decide on which way to go. IMO Marivn would have to showcase better skills than what we already knew of him for us to consider drafting him and retaining his rights. I think Knight will listen to all offers for the #2pick, while keeping a hear out as to how well Andrew Bogut is doing in workouts to get a better feel of whether he could possibly fall to #2 position. If Bogut is gone I think we take into consideration what team is able to give us the most for Marvin Williams. If NewOrleans wants him bad enough they will give up a future 1strounder for him. BTW Bogut has stated he has put on some muscle and is up to 250lbs. Workouts for the Hawks begin next week according to BK. Guess we will have to wait and see how things unfold.

No one knows for sure until draft day, but the sense I got from listening to Bk and Nique was that they were gonna select at #2 and keep the selection.

The Milwaukee board at Real GM indicated that their GM basically stated they were taking Bogut.

After listening to Billy this morning, there is no question in my mind, Billy is going to pick Marvin Williams. I don't think he is going to trade down from this pick either and again I agree with him. I also don't see him trading Al, because Williams is a potential project and not proven yet. I do see him trading maybe Diaw and a future 1st round pick maybe, but I think Al stays on this team.

We need everthing on this team. I see us using FA to get a PG and a Center, which I prefer more anyway because you are getting veterans in those two key positions.

I think getting the number 2 pick was a blessing in disguise.

If we got the number 1, it was almost a no brainer that Bogut would be our pick. At number 2 it gives us more options. Depending on how desperate the Bobcats are in nabbing their hometown hero (Paul) they may be willing to do a deal of both their lottery picks for the number 2 pick. Without us having to give up Harrington. That would be great.

We could also trade down one spot wiht Portland.

I dont like Paul's game. He's too small,not very physical, and not as good a defender that we need at the PG spot. He sometimes loses agression as a scorer, but I still rate him ahead of Felton.

I really dont like Feltons game. He seemed to always underachieve, he lacks a mid-range game, and his 3pt shot was not consistent and dependable. He also gets out of control and dribbles too high sometimes which results in alot of turnovers. Right now, I rate Felton as the bust of this draft.

Deron Williams is my choice as our lottery PG. He is an EXCELLENT,PHYSICAL defender who can shoot with consistency and distribute. He has great court vision and dependable ball handling. I think a very fair comparison would be Chauncey Billups in his Minnesota and Detroit days.

So now we've got plenty of choices. Instead of just taking Bogut at number 1.

~Peace

• Premium Member

Quote:

Depending on how desperate the Bobcats are in nabbing their hometown hero (Paul) they may be willing to do a deal of both their lottery picks for the number 2 pick.

Actually, from what Bobcats' fans are saying, Bickerstaff is dying to get Marvin Williams, who will go to Portland at #3 if we don't select him.

So, they either have to take a PG at #5 or trade both of their picks to us.

Milwaukee --> Bogut

Atlanta --> Marvin

Portland --> Green (Telfair/Green is going to be some combo)

New Orleans --> Paul (reluctantly)

Charlotte --> Deron

Atlanta trades Marvin -for- Deron + #13.

Utah --> Felton

Toronto --> Splitter

Knicks --> Taft

Golden State --> some SF

Lakers --> some PG

Orlando --> some SG/SF

Clippers --> some SG/SF

So, at #13, the Hawks should have their choice of Petro, Villanueva, May, or Morris.

I personally like Petro. So would Boris Diaw and BK. He's French, tall, athletic, and defensively-minded.

• Premium Member

I agree..

Take Marvin...

Then if the Bobcats 5th pick can get D. Williams.. We take Williams/#13 which could be May in trade......

Or .... IS Charlotte Playing us!

Making us believe that they want Williams when they really want Paul...

PTL would pass on Paul...

N.O. might pass on him too?

• Moderators

I would take Marvin and keep him if I were running the draft, personally. I would only consider these deals if I strongly believed in Deron, etc. becoming an elite NBA player. I would not be concerned with filling out the depth on our roster - just with nabbing a superstar who the team can build around.

If that guy is Deron Williams and you can get him and more by trading down then by all means do it. But don't get too fancy and bypass a true star for several good players.

Quote:

Deron Williams is my choice as our lottery PG. He is an EXCELLENT,PHYSICAL defender who can shoot with consistency and distribute. He has great court vision and dependable ball handling. I think a very fair comparison would be Chauncey Billups in his Minnesota and Detroit days.

Deron Williams wished he had Chauncy Billups speed but he doesn't.

• Premium Member

I hear you, and I agree; but there are about 3 Hawks fans in the entire universe that understand. I guess, I feel the same way because I have watched the draft VERY closely over the past two decades and have watched how draft scenarios have played out - and it's always the same pattern.

Is Lafrenze worth the #3? Was Olowakandi worth more than a late lottery/mid 1st? Should Dirk and Pierce have fallen to #9 and #10 respectively?

But GMs every year go into the draft making the same damn mistakes over and over. Why? Because they draft for size (uhh, 'cause you can't teach it!!!) or because they draft for need. Hell, the biggest drafting goof in the history of the NBA should have tought the league something back in 1984.

The problem isn't that we need or don't need [this] or [that]. The problem is that by going in with the mindset of filling holes or getting bigger, you effectively eliminate a LARGE percentage of a very small percentage of gifted players to begin with. Factor in the number of players that don't pan out and the one or two that MIGHT become stars...

It's just madness man. Fortuneately for us, we have a GM who understands this...or at least has said as much in the past. They (and some in here too) knocked him last year for taking all those swingmen, now he doesn't look so foolish. He's going to make the right choice this year too.

I'm glad we got Knight, because I shudder to think what anyone else (not affiliated with LA or Phoenix) would do with our pick.