• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Probables... In the NBA. (Hawks)

Diesel

• Premium Member

We probably won't get Hughes, Redd, Allen, or JJ because we have Chillz.

I suspect all of these guys will resign with their own team.. even though Cleveland will make some noise at Allen and Redd. I think Redd was just offered 22 million from Milwaukee? Is that first year??

We probably won't get Swift. I just Read where Swift is entertaining thoughts of NY. I think NY signs him for the MLE.

We probably won't get Big Z. With Ferry back at the controls look for Big Z to reup with Cleveland.

We probably won't get Green or Korver... One of those guys will sign with Cleveland. Probably Korver.

We probably won't get Dally. Too much to pay him the Max. He's not a max player.

We probably could get Curry... But that would be a mistake.

We probably won't get Chandler... I believe that Chicago will match any offer for him.

We probably won't get Shareef or Walker... I think Shareef goes to NJ.. I think Walker goes to Chicago.

So who do we get?

1. I think we might get somebody like Mark Madsen. I think we might get somebody like Curry. I think we might get somebody like Antonio Daniels. I think we might get somebody like Watson (but don't look for Watson at a high price). I think we might go with Googs...

We aren't going to be spending all of our cap this year. We are going to be under a significant amount. This team isn't selling enough tickets to carry a huge payroll and they have to save money for when it's time to re-up the kids.

Having said that, there are enough 5s out there that we can get one of them and we should spend to do it even if it's overpaying some.

Between Dally, Chandler, Curry and BigZ we can and should get one of them. Curry is probably the cheapest, but he would help us the least (we need defense). BigZ would be the most help now, but would not be a part of our long-term youth nucleus. There's pluses and minuses for all, but I'd take either CHandler or Dally. I'll be very dissappointed if the Hawks don't land one of those four players.

I think the issue as far as Curry goes is whether he is insurable. If not, he's going to go very cheap.

• Premium Member

I think it's principle that we make some of the teams pay for their own Free agents... HOWEVER... There are 2 things.

1. IF it's a restricted player that we really want... Then we probably will let the Q.O. slide and try again next year.

i.e. IF we're really hot for Dalembert, we might let Philly's Q.O. stand and then next season when he is uFA we go for him then with guns blazing.

2. If it's a restricted FA that we don't want so hotly... Then we have to be concerned if we put out a major offer and then this player doesn't get matched...

i.e. If we're interested in Joe Johnson in a half hearted way (because Joe is not a PG and we have Chillz learning the SG)... We ought to be carefully about pushing a 5 yr deal worth 80 million. Because if Phoenix decides not to match, we've just gotten a 1 dimensional Sg for 16 million per... and we can just watch our own FAs go down the drain, especially Chillz.

I think guys like:

Madsen, Gadzuric, Haslem, Swift, Kwame, BKnight, D. Stodamire, Watson, Daniels, Santiago, are all guys that we should put our target on.

More - Chicago is vulnerable because a big offer for one of their big guys will pry away the other.

If we make a big offer for Chandler, they'll feel they have to match, but once they match, they'll most likely be out of the running for Curry.

I think the center FAs will fall one at a time and the biggest contract will be BigZ, the agents for the other guys will let BigZ set the price for centers. Either Cleve or Atlanta will sign Z, and then the team who doesn't get him will decide whether to pursue Chandler or Dally. The chips will fall one at a time.

• Moderators

I'd like to have Hughes but you're right we probably won't get him.

We could get Kwame though and maybe at a good price considering his troubles in the playoffs. He may have been a disappointment but in our situation its worth the risk. He's young, talented, and big and that's worth a lot.

Disesel talking realistic scenarios??? Wow...now this is the stuff I like you to put up on this forum. Lets continue to talk about realistic scenarios.

I agree with most of these none pickups with the Hawks.

I truly only think we have a realistic shot at Kwame Brown, Curry and Watson in FA. I think that is all we can possibly get. Basically rejects based on medical or behavior issues from other teams, with the exception of Watson.

However, I think if we get these three we will have majorly improved our team.

This would give us a very nice nucleus!!

Some defense is really needed. I know the objective

isn't to win as many games as possible next year

because one more year of the lottery is probably

needed unless Billy considers Smith/Chill/Williams/

Stoudamire/Boris enough of a core to go and get

FA's and start building a team. I suspect that one

more year of the lottery is needed.

But to upgrade the team a PG and defense is needed.

Hawks gave up 101PPG last year. THat's why they lost

by 10 points or more 43 times. Curry doesn't fit the

problem at all. Guys like Gad and Mark Madsen would

help in that department. MM isn't a starter, but he

can give you 15MPG off the bench and should come

cheap... Gad is possibly not a long term answer

unless Smooth/Williams both turn out to be stars

and CHill is a 15/7 player and the Hawks get a

good PG... Only then can you really figure Gad

to be good enough longterm as a starting center.

Jim Paxon was talking trash a few days ago saying that teams aremore than welcomed to "wine and dine" their free agents but the bulls intend to match all offers and that they would just be wasting their time.

Diesel quit being so realistic!!! Quick trade somebody...

I will be dissappointed if we don't at least force these other terams to use the max on these Centers. BK's goal should be to sign a free agent center this year. He can do a sign and trade or whatever it takes, but he needs Daly, Curry, Chandler, or Z.

Quote:

Jim Paxon was talking trash a few days ago saying that teams aremore than welcomed to "wine and dine" their free agents but the bulls intend to match all offers and that they would just be wasting their time.

Make him do it. Really, one of these guys are only

needed if the Hawks want to increase the win total

next year. If they are content with contending for

the first pick again then you can offer these guys

contracts (Forcing other GM's hands)without many

worries if all the GM's match the contracts.

I don't know the FA rules well enough. For example, if we make a big offer to Curry is the money tied up until we get an answer? How long can they drag it out?

I remember us getting toyed with last year. If they can drag it out to the end of the FA period, then we really get only one shot and if we are turned down it will be too late to go after someone else. So how does it really work?

yeti

• Premium Member

I don't know about that. Jaric played many minutes last year. I think LAC is willing to match any reasonable offer that comes across for Jaric. Remember, they have Simmons who they want to bring back, but Jaric can still remain a starter at the PG and a BU at the SG... They are very thin in their backcourt and they have lots of money. I suspect that they will pickup Kittles for very cheap, resign Simmons, and resign Jaric.

• Premium Member

I would offer a lot of money to Chandler. Not a max contract but a lot of money. I would wine and dine him and make him like Atlanta. Then offer him much more than he's worth.

The reason.. Chicago has to be forced to pay him. Chicago has a bunch of guys who will be coming into their contract years down the road and I would want Chandler's contract to burden them. At the same time, I would put out a good offer to Duhon. Nothing extravagant because I believe that Curry and Duhon are guys that Chicago would be willing to part with if the contract is out of their value. But again, I would make Chicago Pay Duhon...

I think that there are other teams that will make offers to Othella Harrington and Curry. I heard Paxson talk about getting Harrington back.. I don't believe him. I know Paxson is planning to lower Curry's offers and I think he has done it, but teams like us, Cleveland, and even Seattle should make Chicago pay him too.

I would not make an offer to Daly. I would wine and dine him and let him know that our intent is to take him next year... But I would not give Philly the opportunity to lock him up because I think they will.

I would not make a big offer to Z. In the end, he really don't fit. He's not so athletic. He's not a great rebounder.

• Moderators

Quote:

I thought there is 7 days to match? I'd guess that if

you made an offer and the other team doesn't match you

must take the player on. Just a guess.

Once you make an offer and the player signs you are bound to take the player on if their team doesn't match because they have already signed with your team. The only way they don't join your team is if the other team matches.

There is a 7 day period (much shorter than the last CBA) for the current team to match. During that time your money is tied up in that player.