A challenge 4 you squawkers. I'll take on da Bulls

thecampster

We all agree it's the dead season. So for all of us this constant trade JT, Screw DD, let's ride Ira's jock talk is redundant.

So here's my challenge. Let's logically and without bias compare the Hawks individually to each team in the league. Each squawker take a team you're rather familiar with and break them down against our Hawks. I grew up in Chi-town so I'll take the bulls (plus it's easy to homer there). In your subsequent messages, just list the team in the subject and try to follow my format.

PG - Williams .vs Terry ADV Terry. Williams is raw and developing. Still has something to prove in the NBA. Minor advantage Terry.

SG - Rose .vs Johson or Glover. ADV Rose. Johnson is probably my favorite player on the hawks, but I'm not blind.

SF - Eddie or Marshall .vs Glenn. ADV GRob. could be a different SF here instead of Eddie Robinson like Donyell but it doesn't matter. There's only 5 or 6 small forwards even in GDawg's League.

PF - Chandler .vs Sar. ADV SAR. One day, Chandler might be one of the best big men in the league...not this year.

C - Curry .vs Ratliff. ADV Hawks. Very similar production wise. Bigger upside and bigger body with Curry but Ratliff is a better defender now. Minor Advantage Hawks.

Bench - I'd typically list them, but Chicago's bench is suspect...ATL - DD, Glover, IRA/CC, Hendu and Nazr. No group coming from their bench matches that.

Coaching - I like Lon. He gets alot out of his players and isn't afraid to make a change. He's not intimidated by the high priced athelete, but I prefer Cartwright. He's been in the trenches as a warrior. Stars sells tickets, warriors win games. He's got a fantastic basketball mind.

I do like our assistants better.

Hawks win 5-2. Given this number, I say we have a 5 in 7 chance of beating them on any given night.

NOW, Who's next. What other team do you know and could compare the Hawks to?

• Premium Member

Baron Davis vs. JT.... Davis. Davis is a must stronger player than JT. If JT plays uptempo and better defense than he has shown in the past he can compete but Davis is more of a point.

DJ vs. Wesley.... Even. I think that DJ will shut him down but DJ won't score either. Wesley is not a weak player with a weak game.

Mash vs. Big Dog.... Hmm? Even. Hard to choose. Mash is such a better all around player. Big Dog is such a good scorer. Neither plays defense all that well.

Shareef vs. Brown.... Reef!!! Brown is a great defender and you can usher out Tractor too. Neither can stop SAR.

Theo vs. Elden. Welp, Elden is getting old. THEO! This will be an interesting matchup.

Bench.... N.O. I love our bench, but Magloire, Traylor, Lynch, Nailon, Augmon, and Alexander is slightly better than Nazr, Hendu, CC, Glover, DD, and Email.

Coach... Silas is more experienced and Better than Kruger.

So we have:

3-2-2 for N.O.

2-3-2 for Atl.

New Orleans is probably the most balanced team in the NBA. For us to be this close to them is good.

man and use him to backup both guard spots

since NO doesn't have a backup PG.NO and

Indiana are both alot more talented than we

are.

Davis/Alexander can be one of the most explosive

scoring backcourts in the NBA without a doubt.

Well this seems fun and a Good idea....so since I live in Miami and always hearing what all the Heat fans talk about and commentators and everything else I'll take the Heat.

A. Carter or Eddie House VS JT .... ADV JT. - JT can definitely run the point better than House and even though Carter runs the point quite well, JT will have a much better year at the point this year and will run circles around these guys.

E. Jones VS DJ ..... ADV. Jones - Jones is one of the leagues underrated players, he is an 18-19 ppg player and can do it all in offense, he is a great defender. DJ can really shoot those 3's, but that is all he has shown so far, he did show some flurry late in the season of driving in, in his defense he is a great defender.

Caron Butler VS Big Dog..... ADV. Big Dog - Big dog can score and score at will, he is an average defender and can also pick up around 6 rpg, one of the leagues top SF's. On the other hand Butler has great potential but he is still raw and is only a rookie. Alot of people say he was the best player in the draft and that still needs to be seen.

B. Grant VS Reef ..... ADV. Reef - This is a great matchup, Reef is a consistent 20-10 guy and he always dominates Grant when they meet. Reef is one of the leagues best PF's around. Grant is a very physical player and good defender, he can do his scoring but nowhere in the league of Reef.

Zo VS Theo slight ADV Zo - Zo is nowhere where he use to be, maybe he can be again. Zo is a much better scorer with alot more moves, these 2 guys are the leagues top defensive centers. They make their living blocking shots, well at least Theo does. Theo is a 12 ppg player, not as good as a rebounder as Zo, but he gets his share

Bench:ADV definitely goes to the Hawks here......Hendu, Dion, E-mail, CC, Nazr, DD, Ira (if signs) compare to Miami which only really have Laphonso, Stepania, A. Carter or House.

Coach: well this is pretty simple is automically goes to Riley, he is one of the masters in the game today and will continue to be. ADV Heat

So here is the breakdown:

Hawks win the matchup 3-2

Bench: Hawks

Coach: Heat

Hawks win 4-3

So this might say it all, if we play the heat in a 7 game series we will win 4-3, just a theory it probably wont happen that way , but hey you never know. Is good to see that the Hawks match well with yet another East team that is pick to make a run for the playoffs this year.

• Admin

Being a bit of a Jazz fan i'll take them and run with it. This is somewhat difficult considering the number of free agents they have. BUt i'll give it my best shot with the roster they have listed.

Stockton vs. JT - Adv Jazz - JT has him hands down in the quickness and offensive ability. But Stockton is just rock solid. He's a great passer, defender and shooter. He is also one of the toughest guys to ever play the game, period.

Starks/Cheaney/whoever Vs. DJ (not sure who will be starting this spot). Adv Hawks- The jazz will probably have more experience at this spot. But last year they got pathetic production from the 2 spot. I don't know how they are going to fix that this year either.

Harpring Vs BigDog - Adv Hawks - Harpring is a solid, gritty player. But he's simply not in on the same level has BigDog.

Malone Vs. Reef - EVEN - Stats wise these two are very evenly matched at this point in Malones career. Reef got the best of him in head to head matchups last year. But malone is just too tough to count out.

Ostertag vs. Theo - ADV Hawks - Ostertag is a big body. But that's about all he is. He doesn't do anything very well. The only thing he has over Theo is his size.

Bench - Adv Hawks - Who knows what the Jazz bench will look like. Chances are it will be full of young players or guys nobody else really wanted.

Coaching - Adv Jazz - Sloan is a great coach, simple as that. Even in down years he's managed to get that team playing well enough to make the playoffs, especially last year.

not sure how you guys were rating them. But that's my take on this matchup.

I'm gonna do something with this, I swear.

Still need from the East

Indiana, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Toronto

Boston, New Jersey, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia and Washington.

If you wanna do the west o.k. but do an east too so we can compare the results in conference.

I will look into the Sixers team, since they were one of my favorites.

PG--Snow vs Terry Easy advantage to JT. Eventhough Snow is a good defender, JT should run circles around him.

SG--AI vs DJ ADV AI. DJ is a good defender but no one can stop AI.

SF--VH vs BigDawg ADV BigDawg, better scorer and about even defensively (from what I can tell).

PF--Coleman vs Reef ADV Reef, Coleman is washed up while Reef is young and avg 20 PPG.

C--MacCullough vs Theo ADV Theo, his defense is better and offensively MacCullough isn't too much of a force, at all.

Bench This is close but I give it to the Hawks because we have Dion, Nazr and DD while I see Aaron McKie as there only real impact player on the bench.

Coach ADV Sixers. Eventhough I don't like Larry Browns' coaching style, he is better than Lon Kruger.

So in my opinion the Hawks have a 5-2 ADV over Philly.

I like ORL, they're in similar shape to us. If they stay healthy, they're very dangerous, if not they're still good, but not much above average.

Vaughn/JT- Word outta ORL is that they want to move DA to a Jordanian 6th man type role and use JV. Hope it works out for JV that way, its a great opportunity for him, but as in his Hawks days, JT still has the advantage.

TMac/DJ - Advantage TMac in a major way. DJ may be a very good defender but McGrady takes the young fella's lunch money every time down the court.

Hill/Dogg - This is a tough call with Hills injuries tha past couple of seasons, he's hard to gauge. One on one, advantage Hill, but over the course of a season, advantage GR.

Garrity/Reef - Huge advantage for Reef and our entire frontcourt here. ORL is notoriously weak in this area.

Theo/Grant - advantage Grant...if Theo is down. Other than his injuries, Theo wipes the floor with HoGrant.

Bench- advantage ORL - With the possibility of Armstrong and Miller lurking on the bench, ORL has some serious threats waiting on the pine, still weak on the frontline. Dickau is the X factor that could give us the edge in a DA/Miller vs Dion/Nazr duel.

Overall - advantage ORL. TMac is a very clutch guy and singularly wills the Magic to many of their wins. If Hill is out, everything's up for grabs, but as of now we have to give Grant the same benefit of the doubt that we do Theo, which makes the Magic top ten in the league.

I guess I'll do the Celtics, then. Starting with -

PG - Erick Strickland v Jason Terry - Adv. Jason Terry - Erick Strickland averaged 2.3 assists last year and scored 8 points per game. JT averaged 19 points and 5.7 APG (as a 2-guard most of the year).

SG - Paul Pierce v DerMarr Johnson - Adv. Paul Pierce - I think Boston will start him at SG for reason of mismatch. Advantage definitely to Pierce for being one of the best players in the L. If you don't believe me, look at his stats and watch him in the WBC.

SF - Eric Williams v Glenn Robinson - Adv. Glenn Robinson - An obvious choice. For those of you who don't know who Eric Williams is, your probably still won't know at the end of this season. He has no outside shot, as opposed to the deadly perimeter threat of Glenn Robinson.

PF - Antoine Walker v Shareef Abdur-Rahim - Adv. Shareef Abdur-Rahim - This wasn't as hard a decision as it may have looked. I think Antoine Walker is pretty overrated, and his game is nothing like what a PF's should be. He take way too many shots. Shareef has a well-established low-post game, putting him, in my opinion, in the top 5 PF's in the league.

C - Tony Battie v Theo Ratliff - Adv. Theo Ratliff - Tony Battie doesn't make many shots, and when he shoots them, Theo will probably block them. But then again, it's not like Theo makes a lot of shots, either.

Bench - Adv. Atlanta - Boston has a terrible bench with the exception of Tony Delk. Their back-up PG is J.R. Bremer, and their back-up C is Bruno Sundov, which is not saying much. We outmatch them at every back-up position.

Coach - Jim O'Brien v Lon Kruger - Adv. Jim O'Brien - I like what he did with the Celtics last year. Also, Lon still hasn't proven to me that he can win consistently.

The Knicks are an absolute mess. I think we have loads more talent than they do.

PG -- Ward/Eisley vs. JT...No contest. JT is one of the most explosive scorers at the PG spot and neither of these two guys could handle him.

SG -- Houston vs. DJ...Houston, but not by as much as most would think. I think Houston is nothing more than a creation of the NY media. He's a good shooter but that is absolutely all he does. No D, no leadership, no intensity or hustle. This guy seems to give about 85% every night.

SF -- Sprewell vs. BigDog...In a close one, BigDog. If this was three years ago I give this matchup to Spree. Now it goes to Robinson.

PF -- Thomas vs. SAR...Thomas is a poor man's Ben Wallace and SAR is one of the best PFs in the game. You make the call.

C -- McDyess vs. Theo...McDyess is a better scorer and rebounder, but I think Theo's impact comes from the intangibles (team defense, intimidation). Slight advantage McDyess.

Coach -- Chaney vs. Lon...Chaney is easily one of the worst coaches in the game. Lon still has a lot to learn, but he has the respect and confidence of his players and he's a great teacher and motivator. Advantage Lon.

Bench -- Hawks in a landslide. DD/Dion/CC/Hendu/Nazr would smoke Eisley/Williams/Anderson/Harrington/Doleac. Advantage Hawks.

Hawks win 5-2.

Alvin Williams vs. JT-Alvin isn't as good as I

thought he was.Remember alot of people not

too long ago was wanting us to get him.Too

bad he really isn't that good.Alvin isn't a terrible

defender but JT is just too explosive for him.Alvin

really isn't much of a PG either.Advanage JT

Dermarr vs. Murice Peterson-Mini Spree has the

advange over Dermarr right now.Peterson can

take it to the basket and plays good enough

defense.Dermarr is going to have to show alittle

more than a inconsisant jumpshooter this year.

Advanage Mo Pete

Vince Carter vs. Big Dog-While Big Dog is a nice

offensive player and well score againest Carter I

feel Carter is a more effective all round player

and can easily get around Big Dog and of course

Carter has the jumper and is alot better passer

than Big Dog is.Advanage Vince Carter

Antonio Davis vs. Shareef-This is closer than one

might think.Shareef is a better post game and better

passer,but Davis is a better rebounder and better

defender.Still I believe Shareef can do a decent job

on Davis and still get his own come away with the

advanage.Advanage Shareef

Theo Ratliff vs. Eric Montross-No need to explain

this one.

Bench-Hunter/JYD/Chris Jefferies vs. Dickau/Glover/

Mohammad/Hendu

Advanage us.Toronto now doesn't even have a

6th man really.Honestly Hunter isn't much of a

player anymore than JYD really isn't anything

to brag about.

Coaching advanage-Toronto because Lenny is alot

better coach than Lon is.

With what was left I couldnt decide and then I remembered the Nets, I like this one...

PG..JT is a much better scorer than Kidd but no way he's proven he can be comparable overall...adv Nets

SG..if Kittles was on the Hawks I might put him third on our strength chart but he really breaks down the court and opens things up for Kidd, assuming DJ improves I'll call it...even

SF..I dont see Jefferson instead of Van Horn being much of a drop off for the Nets but neither compares to BigDawg..adv Hawks

PF..Kenyon is improving and has an explosive game but his basic skills pale in comparision with Reef...adv Hawks

C..Mutombo is aging but Theo is much smaller and has health issues. I wonder how Mutombo will fit the Nets whereas I'm pretty sure that Theo is near perfect for us, at least as long as we're not playing an overpowering frontline team..sl adv Nets

Coach..I'm not that sure about Byron Scott but I'm less sure about Lon...sl adv Nets

Bench..I think we have a strong bench..adv Hawks

I guess that leaves it pretty much even in my biased opinion with maybe a slight nod going to the Hawks!!

the only problem is the team can change at any moment!

PG--- JT -vs- Mcinnis or A. Daniels... Daniels and Mcinnis are both better defenders JT is a much better scorer... also rumors are that daniels was disgruntled and becoming a distraction in SA last year.... Advantage JT (but the blazers also needed a taller PG that can play D and distribute as opposed to a short scorer cuz we've been down that road)

SG--- Dermarr/Dion -vs- Derek Anderson When he's healthy Anderson wipes the floor with either one... anderson can also play point.... no contest Advantage Anderson

SF--- Robinson -vs- Pippen and Bonzi... Robinson you know what you are getting... mail it in for 25 points and 6 boards and a below average defensive game (although I don't think that he is as bad as people say)... 3 years ago pippen was better due to his defense and ball-handling... wells is at SF since pippen is on his last legs... wells is an explosive scorer but has lost interest in playing defense... Even

PF--- Reef -vs- Rasheed Wow these two are so even in my mind. I will give the slightest of advantages to Reef only becuaes Rasheed gets thrown out of so many games.

C--- Ratliff/Mohammed -vs- D Davis/Sabonis... if ratliff had played in 1.5 years I'd give an edge to the hawks... since he has not advantage blazers cuz at least these guys play every game...

Bench--- Email, DD, Crawford Henderson -vs- Patterson, Z Randolph, Charles Smith, Qyntel Woods.... slight edge to the blazers because of woods potential and the nanny-stopper...

I just been reading through everyone's thoughts on other teams. I have to say for the most part, I agree with almost everything. Good idea, for a post, but one thing it does do is boggle the mind a bit. To try and take everything in at once. It will be fun to look back after the season starts and see how close and how far some of these views are.