• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague? PG of the Future?

DJlaysitup

Jeff Teague - PG of our future - sorry guys - I just don't see it at all.

I mean let's be realistic....the guy runs around fairly fast before he hands the ball to JJ or Craw. He plays some defense but then turns the ball over. He gets a wide open 10 footer and leaves it short.

I thought a bit that he could be like my hero (DJ) who couldn't shoot much early in his career...but this kid can't only not shoot MUCH..... he can't shoot at ALL.

Honestly - he can't hit the side of a barn from 10 feet.

There is NO WAY...NO WAY...we can have a PG of the future who can't hit the side of a barn from ten feet.

NO WAY...................................................................................................:beathorse:

• Premium Member

To be fair, a thin, inexperienced PG taken later in the first round is a bit of a stab in the dark. I understood the decision at the time, but I think we were all a little surprised at how poor his shooting form is.

I do think he can be a fine backup PG, but I said the same about Law...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

To be fair, a thin, inexperienced PG taken later in the first round is a bit of a stab in the dark. I understood the decision at the time, but I think we were all a little surprised at how poor his shooting form is.

I do think he can be a fine backup PG, but I said the same about Law...

Add to that limited minutes in Woody's ISO Joe doghouse and LD's ball movement offense. At the moment, I do not think Teague is the PG of the future. I also do not think he is a bust (can you even use that term on a non-lottery pick???).

Y'know...I never understood why people are so eager to put "bust" on a player. They did the same thing to JT before he found his role in Dallas. They did the same thing to Diaw, before he found his role as a PF/C of all things in Phoenix. People's expectations and understanding of development timelines is unrealistic sometimes.

In any case, Jeff Teague is a project that needs some attention and nothing more. He has the speed, athleticism, and defensive instincts on the perimeter to make him a decent backup in the future. With confidence and experience, I'm pretty sure he'll be just that. If he can learn to finish consistently and hit from the outside consistently, he will be more than that. Folks can speculate on his chances of actually doing that all day long. I won't. I'll just say don't use him as a throw in on any deal that does not include an above average PG or otherwise decent playmaking prospect in return.

• Like 1

Its clear that he is NOT the point guard of the future, now that Jordan Crawford is getting minutes over him.

The reality is that Teague can't shoot, lacks confidence, makes bad turnovers, and can't finish at the rim which essentially negates his speed to the hole. This all wouldnt have been a problem for the Hawks if we hadnt passed on Paul and Deron, so I blame Billy Knight.

We need to do the same thing with Teague that we did with Acie Law and the Slumlord...sell now while their value is artifically high from their draft status.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Its clear that he is NOT the point guard of the future, now that Jordan Crawford is getting minutes over him.

The reality is that Teague can't shoot, lacks confidence, makes bad turnovers, and can't finish at the rim which essentially negates his speed to the hole. This all wouldnt have been a problem for the Hawks if we hadnt passed on Paul and Deron, so I blame Billy Knight.

We need to do the same thing with Teague that we did with Acie Law and the Slumlord...sell now while their value is artifically high from their draft status.

He gets to the rim with ease but unfortunately more often than not the ball rims out. And don't get me started on the dumb fouls and turnovers. He's not a starting PG. He's had 1.5 years and 2 coaches to prove otherwise.

• Moderators

I think there's a huge difference between Acie and Teague. I'm baffled that Teague isn't getting minutes and i'm guessing it has something to do with attitude. Acie came in the game and offered little more than dribbling the ball up the court. Teague comes in and penetrates, dishes, plays good D for a guy with so little experience, and freaking block shots. Sure he can't shoot but he can do other things. I think his time will come. Guys with his skills are very useful. How many jump shooters do we need on the court at one time? Our team needs to learn to work inside out on offense. You would think a lineup of Teague/Jamal/Joe/Smoove/Horf would be a killer. Two of the best wings in the league, Extremely athletic frontline and a PG who can penetrate. We should be working this lineup out.

• Premium Member

IMO and by no means am I a coach, but Teague should be playing. Super quick and remember Tony Parker was picked around the same place in the draft (and we could have had Parker BTW). Parker couldnt shoot a lick when he came into the league. When Teague gets minutes, he produces, you cant sit on the bench and play ever 6-7 games and come in and play with consistency. I like Bibby but he is a spot up shooter off the becnh and not starter material. Teague should be starting because he can get into the lane and has the quickness to play good defense. There is no other PG on the roster. Jordan is a undersized gunner and may be able to come off the bench and provide some scoring but he is not a PG.

I just dont understand it.

Edited by Vol4ever

• Premium Member

I thought he could be a Rondo type guard coming out of the draft. Quick but needed to work on his jump shooting. Today Rondo is the best playmaker in the league and Teague is showing no signs of becoming a playmaker. Anyone here familiar enough with Rondo at the 1.5 year mark to give an fair comparison?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Realgm article here:

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71303/20110124/teague_falling_out_of_atlantas_rotation/

Interesting note is this: Teague says he and LD haven't spoken "in awhile" which made me do a double take. Shouldn't Teague be getting individual coaching to help bring him along? Why in the world would a rookie head coach who used to be a NBA guard not even talk to a struggling second year point guard? It makes absolutely no sense.

• Like 1

Nineoh, I think Rondo and Teague have similar physical strengths and weaknesses, but Rondo was a pass-first PG long before he went pro, while Teague is an athlete who tries to be a point guard. You either have the pass-first mentality or you don't, I don't think it can emerge through effort. I agree with Vol4ever's comparison with Tony Parker as the best case scenario.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Rajon-Rondo-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-2798/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tony-Parker-3870/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeff-Teague-5293/

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We should have tried to get Earl Watson this past offseason. He is a good defensive pg and he went for cheap to Utah.

Damn, you read my mind. I was just thinking, we need to get Earl Watson... How could we trade for him? I wonder if Powell could get Utah to do it.

Comparing Tony Parker and Jeff Teague is fool's gold....Tony Parker had mid-range game and was running the Spurs offense as a 19 year old. He could also get to the paint and score when he got there (Teague can't score when he does get to the rim). The only knock on him was shooting from long range which he has improved on over the years.

Read this and tell me if any of this is reminiscant of Teague:

Tony Parker - Has a ridiculous first step. Very tough to keep him out of the lane. Changes directions on a dime with the ball in his hands. One of the fastest players in the League. His legs are what make the Spurs go. Has a pretty unusual style for a point guard. Gets a ton of points in the paint and can score in a number of ways from in close. Beats his man off the dribble frequently. Has a reliable midrange jumper, but is still try to find his range from deep. Good distributor. Great in transition. Capable defender. Cerebral player

I am really disappointed in Teague - he is not getting the playing time because he hasn't earned it.

• Premium Member

Nineoh, I think Rondo and Teague have similar physical strengths and weaknesses, but Rondo was a pass-first PG long before he went pro, while Teague is an athlete who tries to be a point guard. You either have the pass-first mentality or you don't, I don't think it can emerge through effort. I agree with Vol4ever's comparison with Tony Parker as the best case scenario.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Rajon-Rondo-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-2798/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tony-Parker-3870/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeff-Teague-5293/

good reply. This is where some Hawks fans got the signals crossed.

“I’m not knocking Acie Law in any way shape or form but this kid [Teague] is what I’d call a true point guard. I gave Acie some opportunities, and it just didn’t work. That’s no knock on him as a player or me as a coach. Injuries probably hurt Acie the two years he was here, and honestly we just didn’t have the luxury of waiting on him when he first got here. We had to win.

Jeff Teague has a different situation, and in some ways I think a better situation, in that we have a solid foundation of veterans here that he’ll be able to learn from and lean on. Make no mistake about it, he has the tools, and we need to provide him with the opportunity to become the player we think he can become.

Either Woodson had no clue or he just flat out lied. IDK...but calling him 'a true point guard' seems like crazy talk now.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Admin

Damn, you read my mind. I was just thinking, we need to get Earl Watson... How could we trade for him? I wonder if Powell could get Utah to do it.

If you consider Ronnie Price an adequate backup for Utah...maybe they would consider it (I don't). I don't see Utah making that trade.