• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou: 3 trade options

DrReality

Three alternative Harrington deals

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/18/06

In the pantheon of recent Hawks minidramas, and there have been many, none contains the mystery, intrigue and exhausting qualities of the still-yet-to-be-completed Al Harrington sign-and-trade soap opera.

A deal with the Indiana Pacers has been "imminent" for weeks, though it's undergone more face-lifts than Joan Rivers.

Agents have been fired and hired, and most of the central figures in this sideshow have chosen to remain silent on the details. Probably a wise choice considering the rampant speculation that goes on without their words being twisted and tangled in regard to whatever the latest status of the deal might be.

Not even last summer's organization-splitting Joe Johnson sign-and-trade deal captivated its audience the way the Harrington drama has. But even that deal beat this one to the finish line; Johnson officially became a member of the Hawks on Aug. 19.

And to think, all of this could have been avoided had Harrington been moved at the February trade deadline, as he desired, for far more than the Hawks will get in return if the deal with the Pacers is ever finalized. Under the terms, Harrington will be signed to a six-year, $57 million deal and then sent, along with John Edwards, to Indiana for a future first-round draft pick.

But what if that deal falls through? What if Harrington and his new agent, Arn Tellem, open the process back up entirely?

The Hawks must decide if they're going to rethink their position of not taking on contracts and come up with a scenario that makes sense for the long-term benefit of the franchise. Letting Harrington walk without getting anything in return is the only bad option for Atlanta.

Since the Hawks don't want lengthy contracts in return, why not consider these three new options?

1. Do a sign-and-trade with the Lakers for Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie, Brian Cook and a future draft pick.

Mihm is making $4.2 million this season, McKie $2.5 million and Cook just $1.5 million. All three players are in contract years, meaning the Hawks would have the option of resigning them if they fit in well with their young talent or let them move on at season's end. The draft pick is the cherry on top.

2. Do a sign-and-trade with the Nuggets for Joe Smith, a future first-round pick and $3 million cash.

Smith is another solid veteran power forward in a contract year. He'll make $6.8 million this season. The $3 million essentially cuts his salary in half, and the Hawks still get the draft pick they covet.

3. Do a sign-and-trade with the Celtics for Vin Baker, Brian Grant and either Al Jefferson or Kendrick Perkins.

Whichever of the young guys the Celtics would be willing to include is the player that makes this deal for the Hawks. Both Jefferson ($1.6 million) and Perkins ($1.6 million) are the ideal young big men to add to the Hawks' frontcourt rotation, as both can play center. The contracts of Baker ($5.3 million) and Grant ($1.8 million) look like burdens until you realize that both of their deals are up at the end of the season.

• Premium Member

I have some problems with his ideas:

Quote:

1. Do a sign-and-trade with the Lakers for Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie, Brian Cook and a future draft pick.

I don't like this one because it was MY idea! I proposed it first! smile.gif

Quote:

2. Do a sign-and-trade with the Nuggets for Joe Smith, a future first-round pick and $3 million cash.

The Nuggets will not do this because of the luxury tax implications.

Quote:

3. Do a sign-and-trade with the Celtics for Vin Baker, Brian Grant and either Al Jefferson or Kendrick Perkins.

This deal isn't possible because Baker is no longer a Celtic.

Three reasonaable trades and I would be ok with any of them. In rank order:

Lakers

Celtics/Denver

What I like about the LA deal is one of these players might be dealt at the deadline for a team in contention. I like Boston's young guys but Baker is bad news to our young gusy. Joe S. would also be cool. His maturity would be an asset. He too could be traded at the deadline if needed.

I'm sure he likely knows what we could've got, he just can't say without burning bridges. I was hoping we would move Al at the deadline. The problem I see now is that Al's value is dropping because teams know we want to move him and there seems to be very few that want him. That means the few that do will likely lowball us for him.

Quote:

It is interesting that Sekou said Al could have been traded for more at the trade deadline.

Artest or Nene/Watson were available well before the deadline.

I was just looking at Watson's numbers. He shot 40% from 3 this season, making 110 treys (JJ made 128). His weakness was always his shot.

Of course he is well known as a defender and made an immediate impact in Seatle. They gave up 10 fewer ppg when he was playing.

In retrospect that is an interesting deal. I know I panned it when it was discussed before the trading deadline (go ahead and dig up the posts). At the time I was not ready to let Al go. Smoove's improvement down the stretch definitely makes me more comfortable going into the season without a "proven" number 2 scorer.

It will be interesting to see if Nene ever amounts to anything.

By Eric Pincus

for HOOPSWORLD.com

Aug 18, 2006, 16:17

It appears the proposed deal between the Indiana Pacers and Atlanta Hawks, sending forward Al Harrington back to Indiana, has hit a snag. It's not clear what the specific issue is, but other teams are aggressively trying to get into the action.

The most likely alternative to Indiana would appear to be the Golden State Warriors. A multi-team trade has been discussed, though no specific timeline is apparent as of yet.

The Los Angeles Lakers were said to have reentered the race, though they would seem to be a fallback option if a bigger deal cannot be reached.

The proposed deal includes as many as three Western Conference teams, along with Atlanta.

More as it develops.

I've always thought the Indy deal was nearsighted, meaning that they could trade for players that have decent value and then trade them at the deadline. Especially someone like Mihm or another center. Teams are always looking for big guys.

The fact that the Indy deal fell through is the best Hawk's news I've heard in a long time.

Quote:

Watson's biggest weakness is a ginormous contract that far outweighs his just-above average talent.

Watson has 4 years left totaling $24 million, same as Speedy. He is bigger, stronger, a much better shooter, better defender and he isn't injury prone.

• Premium Member

If Al is under contract, he can.

What I mean is that Last year, Al was consider a rental. This year, Al would be a player with at least a 4 year deal. Most teams who are in the market for Al would pay much more for that than for Al as a rental.

Harrington's deal to Pacers off

Hawks open to offers for forward

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/19/06

The Hawks' proposed sign-and-trade deal sending Al Harrington back to the Indiana Pacers is dead, the free agent forward said Friday.

The deal was dealt its fatal blow when the Pacers owners declined to agree to take Harrington — whom the Hawks were to sign to a six-year, $57 million deal — and third-year center John Edwards from the Hawks in exchange for a future first-round draft pick.

The Pacers became unwilling to take on the six-year, $57 million contract in the proposed sign-and-trade deal for Hawks free agent Al Harrington.

Now that Al Harrington won't be going to the Pacers, what should the Hawks do next?

Get somebody who can help them now.

Keep building for the future -- get a good draft pick.

Help the guy get a deal he likes and the Hawks will get something good in return.

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

After negotiating the deal one way, the Pacers owners decided they wanted to do a shorter deal, four years, and for far less money, $36 million.

The Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves, all teams that have been in the Harrington mix from the start, are now poised to land the highest-profile player left on the free agent market.

Friday's development, though, ends a month-long saga that would have returned Harrington to the Pacers franchise that drafted him, the team he spent his first six NBA seasons playing for in the city his mother and father now call home.

"I'm just ready to know where I'm going to be playing next year," Harrington said by phone. "The Indiana deal was something that I really wanted to do. I was looking forward to it since it's a place I'm so familiar with. But it didn't happen. I want to be somewhere I'm wanted, and these other teams are really interested.

"I feel like I can make an impact with any of those teams, whichever uniform I end up wearing. But ultimately, you have to go where you are wanted."

There is a poll on AJC.com

• Admin

Well it looks like we will bringing in some new players after all. Of the deals I would take the Boston one. I would jump at getting Perkins. He will be a really good center. He finished the season really strong. Jefferson has a lot of potential too to be a really good PF in the league. Either player would be a great pickup for us.