Sekou: Bozeman vs. Ivey

Weez

Backup guard shines in loss to Wizards

By KAREN ROSEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/24/06

With an abundance of guards on the Hawks roster, Cedric Bozeman had nearly 11 minutes Monday night to prove he deserves to stay.

Undrafted after helping lead UCLA to the NCAA championship game his senior year, the 6-foot-6 rookie scored all five of his points in the first period of the Hawks' 110-105 exhibition loss to the Washington Wizards.

Backup guard shines in loss to Wizards

'The missing piece', Claxton, returns

Johnson's shot beats Cavs in OT

If healthy, rookies have shown promise

SI adds insult to Hawks' injury

"Whatever time I get," Bozeman said, "I've got to go out and bust my butt."

He's also a guy coach Mike Woodson didn't mind having on the floor in the final two minutes of a tight game. The Hawks (4-3) rallied from a 20-point deficit in the third period to take a two-point lead in the fourth, but they couldn't hold on because of seven missed free throws and four Wizards layups when the Hawks had fouls to give.

"The fact [bozeman] can defend three positions makes him a little unique and intriguing," Woodson said. "And he can run your offense. He's heady, and he's not scared to make mistakes.

"We'll have four or five days to look at him a little closer and see if he's worthy of keeping on our ballclub."

Woodson knows what starter Joe Johnson (28 points) and backups Tyronn Lue (16 points) and Josh Childress (12 points) can do at the guard position, and he has Speedy Claxton resuming practice today after fracturing his hand Sept. 18. But in determining the rest of his bench in the past two preseason games, Woodson has gone with Bozeman instead of Royal Ivey. Salim Stoudamire has a right quad contusion and also didn't play. Neither played against Cleveland on Saturday either.

"It's no knock against Royal," Woodson said. "He started for us last year a great deal of the season, but we've had an opportunity to bring better players in and an opportunity to look at them as well. We've got some decisions to make this week."

Bozeman played for the Hawks in the Rocky Mountain Revue in July. Going into Monday night's game, he had played in every exhibition game, averaging 13 minutes and 2.7 points.

On Monday, he entered with 6:37 left in the first period at point guard. Bozeman scored on a 10-foot jump shot, was fouled and made his free throw. Less than a minute later, he had a steal and dunk.

"I'm not really coming in here to score," he said. "Everybody in the NBA can score. I've got to kind of find my niche, and if defense is what it is, that's what I'm going to do."

Ivey, who has a guaranteed contract reportedly worth $744,551, said he still feels good about his role.

"The season's starting," he said. "I just want to win; it doesn't matter if I play. If the guy ahead of me is playing good, then so be it, that's how the game works. And you cheer for your teammates. My main concern is just to be ready when the coach calls my name and then go from there."

thinking about this, Woody made a pretty big jab at Ivey (in saying that we're, "bringing in better talent")...and then I got to thinking. Oh crap. We're gonna take the lesser player simply because he's already under contract...then I thought it out further...

Ivey makes 700k this year. Bozeman would cost an additional 350k or so (anyone know the league minimum?). For that extra 300k (or even a mill), if it bought the team a few more wins, a chance at even ONE nationally televised game later in the TNT schedule ~ it'd pay off immediately right? Wouldn't those extra wins (even if it was two) help draw more fans? It's not like Royal with Cheese is an arena-favorite?

Simply put, I'm not taking sides, just employing the owners and powers that be (who-ever they are) to make the decision for the 'better player' (if they're even allowed to ~ see court battle). For a franchise trying to build an identity, within its own locker room, arena, and city, let alone league-wide, it's truly the only 'smart' decision....and possibly for the low low price of 300k and a bit of humble pie in admitting that the extension/resigning of Royal was a jesterly move.

i'd like to keep bozeman and the greek guy this year

we do get 15 roster spots, tho only 12 active at a time...

speedy/lue/jj/chill/slim/marvin/smoove/shelden/zaza/lo will always be active if uninjured...that leaves 5 spots on the team for ivey/bozeman/batman/solomon/greek guy...but only 2 can be active at any point in time...

i'd think solomon will see nbdl time and one of ivey/bozeman and one of batman/greek will be active at a time...

if speedy/lue/slim/jj/chill are all uninjured, then i can see us having both batman and greek active and ivey/bozeman inactive

if 1+ of the guards are injured, then either or both ivey/bozeman would be activated

i like having backup depth at guard and post in case of injuries

we've got good depth at immediate backup (lue/slim/chill/shelden/lo) and then we've still got 5 others that can play a role at times

I agree, it sounds like Woody wants Bozeman and not Ivey.

The Ivey extension was strange and I really don't understand it (but who does understand BK). I do hope the Hawks keep Bozeman as he sounds like the perfect complement to the team and has experience running a game during big games.

Quote:

I agree, it sounds like Woody wants Bozeman and not Ivey.

The Ivey extension was strange and I really don't understand it (but who does understand BK). I do hope the Hawks keep Bozeman as he sounds like the perfect complement to the team and has experience running a game during big games.

The extension was neccessary because we had not secured a PG (Speedy) and Shelden was the draft. Had to sign Ivey to know we have at least two vet PG's.

Couldn't we send Bozeman to the NBDL and hold onto his rights (?..question - I can't remember how that works). I guess we would have to sign him to a contract first, otherwise he'll probably end up in the NBDL anyway and will be a free agent.

It would seem logical to get him the NBDL playing time, then if he's lighting it up we bring him back. But if there is a strong chance of losing him maybe it wouldn't.

Realistically our ownership will probably make the decision based on $$.

I have to disagree with you saying the extention was necessary cause we were short on Pointguards. There were alot of pointguards that Billy Knight could have taken a look at before resigning Ivey. Ivey's size is the only reason he is still on the team and maybe willingness to be coached.

Quote:

The extension was neccessary because we had not secured a PG (Speedy) and Shelden was the draft. Had to sign Ivey to know we have at least two vet PG's.

Come on man. It was the first week or so of FAcy, Ivey's not a vet', and he's not good enough anyhow to pull a quick trigger on. It was simply a poor GMing decision. Not a horrible one if management is willing to swallow a contract, but a poor one none-the-less. Hard to defend an early, knee-jerk guaranteed signing of a marginal Pg when you simply didn't have to.

W

we also don't know if we were then (or even now are) under the premise that we cannot really 'sign' FA's (went into effect just after the Speedy acquisition) and only limited to resigning current players due to the legal battle...

that's assuming that we resigned him during the July FA period ~ anyone remember when we extended/resigned him?

• Premium Member

Quote:

that's assuming that we resigned him during the July FA period ~ anyone remember when we extended/resigned him?

He had a team option for this season. IIRC, those are picked up before July 1st.

Regardless, he's only making the minimum, Woodson seems to like him, and he's not an irreplaceable part of the rotation. So who cares?

The Hawks have much bigger problems to focus their attention on (e.g., the 2nd option, the PF spot, Speedy's health, Wright's acclimation).

He can always be cut or traded elsewhere.

Royal Ivey doesn't bring much to the table, but he does bring a lot of defensive intensity to the court and is a very hard worker.

I like Cedric Bozeman because of the fact that he has overcome a lot of adversity to get to the point he is at. It's not hard to root for this guy.

I'd hate to have to choose between the two.

Quote:

Quote:

He had a team option for this season. IIRC, those are picked up before July 1st.

Regardless, he's only making the minimum, Woodson seems to like him, and he's not an irreplaceable part of the rotation. So who cares?

The Hawks have much bigger problems to focus their attention on (e.g., the 2nd option, the PF spot, Speedy's health, Wright's acclimation).

I kind of wondered if Ivey isn't a player in the same mold at Woodson during his day. Not the most talented guy but gives it a 100%.

Bozeman no doubt brings more versatility. Doesn't sound like he reaced his potential in college. Perhaps he will in another system.

He can always be cut or traded elsewhere.