• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Childress -mindboggling stats

jerrywest

Childress is so much better then his statistics, or his ugly shot or thin unathletic body. He just knows how to play the game. As many have said, he is a glue guy that every team needs.

The Hawks are going to have some interesting decisions to make regarding which forwards to build around.

Sounds good in theiry but I imagine all those guys will be looking for at least 35 minutes per game.

Can the team afford to sign Smoove and Childress after next year and then Marvin the following year (and Sheldon the year after that)? I am guessing that either Smoove or Marvin will be a $10 million+ per year signing, and the rest at least in the $6 million+ range. Also Zaza will be do for a large raise somewhere in there.

The good thing about having all of our guys, despite what the BK haters say, if he keeps drafting the way he is, we should be able to stay solid for a long time to come. Notice I said drafting and not trades, even though I don't think he's doing so bad in that area either considering all of the issues involved with each one. Anyhow we should be in a better position to demand a good return on whoever is traded in the future while already having a solid replacement on the team.

To be fair, when you have three picks inside the top 6 it is hard to screw up too badly, but it is a credit to BK that all of the first rounders have shown at least a glimmer of potential. I am just not sure how you keep 4 young forwards happy splitting the available minutes. I guess it is a good problem to have.

• Premium Member

Quote:

To be fair, when you have three picks inside the top 6 it is hard to screw up too badly, but it is a credit to BK that all of the first rounders have shown at least a glimmer of potential. I am just not sure how you keep 4 young forwards happy splitting the available minutes. I guess it is a good problem to have.

I think that as soon as marvin comes back, childress will play a lot more 2 than he is currently playing.

Quote:

i dunno man.

Bargnani hasn't done anything.

Aldridge has been injured. he'll probably stay that way off and on indefinately.

Thomas is a project at best.

Morrison hasn't done much.

Gay is playing because Memphis is a terrible squad w/o Gasol.

Roy is injured. apparently it's chronic.

you can make the same arguments for Chillz and Marvin. In 3 drafts Chris Paul was the one miss. that's one miss in over 30 players that were probably considered. It could also be said that Marvin is a nice consolation prize.

I think his role is perfect for him. He comes in after the initial adrenaline has bled off and he injects energy into the game. I love the fact that he's gotten more aggressive and not afraid to take the ball to the hole. With his stupid shot, I don't think anyone knows what to do with hima and he just keeps blowing people away. Perfect guy for the role he plays.

I agree with that, but even though I'm not good at looking up stats/past drafts, I'm pretty sure that we could find examples of players picked in that range that haven't lived up to potential. All I'm trying to say is that with solid players to trade and the right people making decisions we should be good for along time. Our talent pool shouldn't dry up. Look at how he found Smooth as a 17th pick and remember all the bad choices made in that range during the Babcock era. Look at the FA pickups he made without overspending and killing our cap. This is the first year I can remember that we actually kept players that weren't drafted to improve our team. I think its important to acknowledge that BK is doing a good job of improving our team for the long haul as compared with the past. We can actually afford to trade away a very solid player/ borderline superstar without totally wilting as we did in the past when we traded away our only true superstar. I am also more confident that when the time comes that we do, we won't get shafted as bad as we did when we got Manning.

The Hawks are on the verge of a run that only the Bravos have held in the ATL. Provided, our front office stays intact. I'm still not sold on Woody, but he's doing better and is growing with the team.

....And he will likely never get the respect he deserves because he isn't a big points per minute. He will never have a high PER in John Hollingers' ratings, but his ratings don't take into account what he does defensively.

He's like Shane Battier though, who is another player that I believe is woefully underrated in the NBA. He just gets out there, does the dirty work, plays hard nosed defense, and keeps his team together.

12.3 pts.

5.8 rebs.

4.2 assts.

.581 FG

.455 3FG

.826 FT

Comparatively speaking, Iggy's numbers aren't exactly garbage and could be even better if AI and Webber weren't chucking up about half of the shots; neither are Deng's (17/5.7, shooting .526 from the field). Most here prefer Childress; I'm just not the biggest fan, at least until I see him be able to get that shot off in someone's face consistently. I've seen the other two do it; just not him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

12.3 pts.

5.8 rebs.

4.2 assts.

.581 FG

.455 3FG

.826 FT

Comparatively speaking, Iggy's numbers aren't exactly garbage and could be even better if AI and Webber weren't chucking up about half of the shots; neither are Deng's (17/5.7, shooting .526 from the field). Most here prefer Childress; I'm just not the biggest fan, at least until I see him be able to get that shot off in someone's face consistently. I've seen the other two do it; just not him.

Childress hater huh?

Quote:

Most here prefer Childress; I'm just not the biggest fan, at least until I see him be able to get that shot off in someone's face consistently. I've seen the other two do it; just not him.

Ah the classic grass is greener on the other side. Just as I had to move on with the Sheldon pick. Others need to move on with the MWill and Chillz picks.

Even Jerry West can 2nd guess himself on a daily basis. Problem is, what are you going to do about it now? Nothing. Just accept it and move on. It's really not that hard. We should all try it sometime....

• Premium Member

Not really. You can't say "Haha people wanted "X" or "Y" player instead of our guy!" and then when someone points out that "X" or "Y" are playing better than our guy you don't get to say "Sorry, we're not talking about the past" when its already been brought up.

Chill's improved play this year just further convinces me that we are going to lose either Chill or Smoove when their rookie deals expire.

I'm glad we have two full seasons to work out what we will do with the Joshes. Also, the fact that they are RFAs gives us the leverage after two years. Not sure why people are so worried about losing one of these guys.

It hardly ever happens that a team out right loses a RFA without compensation. If we can't afford both, then we will be the ones to cut a deal to our liking.

I think we should just enjoy watching them play these next two years.

I'm glad that Childress is doing well but I'm sticking to my guns; I'd have taken Iguodala or Deng, period. I've said that for close to three years now. I would've been proven wrong (not the first time) if the other two were struggling while Childress was playing lights out basketball but the fact remains that the other two are putting up similar, if not better numbers while having fewer opportunities to shine (wanna compare getting the ball from JJ to trying to pry it from Iverson or Webber's hands? The defense rests) so 'Iggy, Deng, who' one-liners holds no water.