• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We need interior Defense in the worst way.

bumpyphish1

Shelden does just not play as big as I think we hoped he would. He will be a good guy to bring off the bench in the future if he can adjust to the NBA and improve a little bit but I never expect him to play up to his high draft position. I just don't think he has enough potential to warrant the #5 pick.

Zaza doesn't play a lick of Defense. I tries hard on offense (grabbing boards, etc.) but he doesn't play strong on Defense at all. We really have no one.

We need to acquire some big guys...Not someone who is 6'8. We just need some enforcers.

Oh yeah, and a point guard.

Seems that every game we play, the opponents BIGS look

a lot bigger, more muscular than ours. I agree. We

need some BIG players, and not just someone who has

all muscle and no NBA brain.

frown.gif

Quote:

Shelden does just not play as big as I think we hoped he would.

People hoped he would play big when he isn't and can't.

Right now Roy is steadily putting up 14-15 a game with an all-around game to match. His 3.2 APG (I think) is good enough to play some Pg for us next to JJ. It's just a shame our management "hopes" as much as many fans and doesn't do its homework. ...Ish1, I'm not picking on you. SW was just a terrible pick and "hope" over talent don't cut it when you're trying to build a contender.

W

Quote:

Yeah Walt...Roy would so help our interior defense which is what is killing us as much as anything this year

Which means SW wasn't the answer.

1) The best place to find interior defense isn't in a Pf, much less a 6'71/2" Pf with a short reach. There were many other options at role-playing to starting quality Pfs if that is what we needed to fill and none of them cost a 5th overall pick. Gooden and Wilcox to name just two in FAcy. Milsap and Williamson in the 2ND ROUND of the draft.

2) I think FAR more than just interior defense is "killing us". Roy does them all better than SW.

Quote:

...again. I will admit that Sheldon hasn't impressed as much as I'd like but he hasn't sucked either.

I think for a 5th overall pick and the reported most NBA-ready player he most definately sucks. The guy can't even block a shot in the NBA. What 5th pick good is he if he can't even do that well?

Quote:

Where's Sene by the way?

He's entering his junior year in HS experience-wise. Don't worry. I won't forget him. I'll be bringing him back up in conversation within 3 years. How would you like your crow?

W

• Premium Member

It's interesting that you guys call out Milsap, Milsap, Milsap. Whereas, before and during the draft, many of you didn't know who the hell he was or at least, you never mentioned him.

Hindsight is a very good thing. I guess all 34 teams who passed over Boozer has the dumbest GMs in the world. That would make Babcock extra dumb because he gave our 1st round pick to LAC that year.

Milsap was picked #47. He is a 6'7" PF... Those of you who were concerned with standing reach and the such would have cried bloody murder if we had choosen Milsap... so you can leave your hindsight at home.

About Shelden....

Well, if he can log in more than 24 mpg, maybe we'd appreciate him more. I mean 6, 6, and 1 isn't that bad for a rookie.

Quote:

It's interesting that you guys call out Milsap, Milsap, Milsap. Whereas, before and during the draft, many of you didn't know who the hell he was or at least, you never mentioned him.

"Nobody mentioned him" (actually I mentioned both he and Craig Smith in a response post) because we were discussing not only 1st rd picks but the 5th overall pick. I only wish we hadn't mentioned SW.

Quote:

Hindsight is a very good thing. I guess all 34 teams who passed over Boozer has the dumbest GMs in the world. That would make Babcock extra dumb because he gave our 1st round pick to LAC that year.

It wasn't hindsight to want Roy over SW. THAT'S the issue! The fact is you were wrong and instead of admitting it you're playing the role of A-hole. Come on Diesel. The question wasn't SW or Milsap. The question was SW or Roy (or Foye for some). There is an obvious 2nd question: How do we shore up the interior if we intend to trade Al (for nothing)? I think it's 100% obvious now that SW and Lo didn't do "shore up the interior" and obvious to many of us that a 6'7" Pf should never be counted on for any part of that role much less shot blocking (.59 BPG SUCKS!!!). It was much easier, cheaper, and more likely to succeed to look elsewhere than the 5th overall pick for interior defense, even if you wanted it ASAP. Wilcox and Gooden are both better players than SW. We had a high 2nd rd pick. We could also trade a player.

Quote:

Milsap was picked #47. He is a 6'7" PF... Those of you who were concerned with standing reach and the such would have cried bloody murder if we had choosen Milsap... so you can leave your hindsight at home.

BULLSHIT and NONSENSE! If SW's was drafted 47th I wouldn't have a problem with him. THAT'S THE POINT! I-F you are going to draft a short, short reach Pf who is a role playing Pf UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU DRAFT SAID PLAYER 5TH OVERALL! Should you draft him in the 2nd rd, so be it, but don't d@mn your franchise over some severely under-height, under-reach Duke hype!

Quote:

Well, if he can log in more than 24 mpg, maybe we'd appreciate him more. I mean 6, 6, and 1 isn't that bad for a rookie.

Shelden Williams is technically a "rookie" but he was supposed to be the most NBA ready player in the draft. You're continuing to blow smoke up your own ass with nonsense like "he isn't that bad for a rookie". Roy smokes him every game he plays. It's embarassing actually how little impact SW has. ZaZa (0.5) and SW (0.59) essentially have the same number of BPG! Embarrassing.

W

• Premium Member

In our situation Walter, I still take Shelden. Shelden is stil the rebounder defender that we need at the PF. He still leads rookies in rebounds. Roy has been injured and he would have had a problem finding playing time behind JJ and JC... or he would have caused us to trade either JJ or JC... Either way, it's the Marvin argument all over again. Do you take the Best Potential player who plays a position that you don't need or do you take the time to feel a need??

It's interesting to see your flip flop in this argument.

You argue day and night against Marvin because we needed a PG and we had several SFS..

Yet, when you consider Shelden vs. Roy, you say take the player who duplicates the position we already have. Roy is JJ all over. Neither of them are PGs... But of them are shooting guards who can handle the ball. So what do you do.. .DUPLICATE or actually fill a need??

college shotblocker stock EVER! He couldn't block an NBA shot with his forehead (and that's saying ALOT!)

Now, while I think Roy can play Pg next to the likes of a guard like JJ and both THRIVE (especially with a waterbug BU Pg making for a 3 guard rotation), regardless, when it comes down to a limited Pf I can acquire the equal of in the 2nd rd or the FAR more talented Sg with Pg ball-handling and court vision skills in Roy, I and every other GM in the league besides BK would take Roy. GM's were laughing at us after that move to draft SW 5th it was so stupid.

W

Hell no. We should have brought him in with Milsap or Craig Smith to at least compare them. But hell no we had to promise a guy 5 that was a reach at 10 without even seeing any of them or most of the top 10 players up close?!? WTF?

Blind monkeys or an AI computer program could run this team's draft better year in and year out.

W

Quote:

Oh crap, I'm going to have to bump one of my Millsap posts.

And let the record show, my picks were Roy/Millsap for our draft.

And let the record show, if I had been doing the drafting (not a guy who is a *professional*), we would've had 2 of the top 6 rookies in the NBA....and I would've been up for executive of the year....and I know NOTHING!

I don't too much care about Millsap right now. I do care that for a lot of reasons some of us didn't want Shelden. He simply wasn't a number 5 pick and BK made a reach pick at that number. (Aside from BK telling the world he'd draft him) I'm not saying he won't ever be serviceable, but for all the crap that Marvin is taking for being a number 2 pick, Shelden can surely be blasted for being a less than stellar pick at 5.

Watching the game with Shelden in it is painful on most nights. I have not seen any signs of the "landlord" controling anything. He was supposed to be the most ready player in the draft and he's not nearly a finished product. And if he is......we'd better worry about that more than Marvin.

Quote:

I'm not saying he won't ever be serviceable, but for all the crap that Marvin is taking for being a number 2 pick, Shelden can surely be blasted for being a less than stellar pick at 5.

He was supposed to be the most ready player in the draft and he's not nearly a finished product. And if he is......we'd better worry about that more than Marvin.

I'm suprised people like Diesel, KB after his BK inspired conversion, GSUteke and others thought SW would be a shot blocker in the NBA, after his measurements especially. His strength isn't that much greater than the average NBA player so he's lost that advantage, he's very short AND has a very short vertical reach for his position in the NBA - advantage lost, suddenly even the Sfs are 1" taller than Shelden so he can't even effectively weak-side assist in most cases, and he just doesn't bring much else to the table but a tall forehead (meaning further height lost).

If a supposed interior defender, otherwise role player can't block shots at a high rate or alter them frequently he is almost useless much less not worth a 5th overall pick.

Quote:

Quote:

Oh crap, I'm going to have to bump one of my Millsap posts.

And let the record show, my picks were Roy/Millsap for our draft.

And let the record show, if I had been doing the drafting (not a guy who is a *professional*), we would've had 2 of the top 6 rookies in the NBA....and I would've been up for executive of the year....and I know NOTHING!

Let the record reflect that you would be a better GM then BK.

• Moderators

Please remember that players play a lot better for better teams with better systems. Put Shelden in Utah and everyone would be saying what a great defender he is and he'd probably get a lot more chances to knock down short jumpers.

We've got players with talent I'm increasingly convinced that the coaching staff doesn't know how to use them or motivate them to play team defense consistently.