• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2 BETS Walter... $20 dollars each...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Walter says tanking is the way to the future.

I say..

Bet on whoever has the worse record getting the #1 pick.

MY BET IS that it doesn't happen.

If Walter is all about tanking, why doesn't he take that bet??

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Quote:

I say..

Walter has not been all about the first pick in his posts, though. He has been about the benefit of the Hawks getting any pick 1-3. What you should be betting on is the whether the third worst team (which looks to be about the bets outcome for tanking at this point) will get a top 3 pick.

Quote:

Walter is being punked on his #1 issue.

Diesel is doing the punking!

We all know the exact odds of the #1 pick picking 1st. It's not like I even give a damn who picks 1st. I just want to keep our pick. That's top 3 not #1 overall and believe me we could do an awful lot with a top 3 pick.

What I don't understand, tough guy, is why you would not only change the bet I set in the 1st place, but fail to establish a bet FOR your plan at all if it is more likely to succeed?

Can you think of ANY bet FOR you plan that you are willing to make? Will we even sign an MLE player? Are ou even willing ot bet that? Or is your "plan" so hard for even you to support that you can't even get behind our likely signing another player of Speedy's caliber?

W

If the Knicks don't make the playoffs, expect the 1st round pick that they gave the Bulls, to somehow jump into that #1 or #2 position in the lottery.

What is better for the league?

Greg Oden or Durant in Chicago? Or Greg Oden or Durant in a place like Atlanta, Charlotte, or in Philly without AI?

I've always been suspicious about the draft lottery and the process they use anyway, because you don't see the drawing of the ping pong balls live. They always preface the draft lottery selection show by saying that some reputable accounting firm oversaw the precedings, and that everything was secure.

It's a reason why the Knicks got Pat Ewing.

Speaking of that . . here's a question:

Our pick is top 3 protected. Now is that top 3 protected AFTER the lottery positions are picked, or top 3 protected according to how we finish in the standings?

For example . . would Phoenix still get our pick, if we had the 2nd worst record in the league, but somehow ended up having 2 teams jump ahead of us in the lottery, thus, making us pick 4th?

Conversely . . what if the Hawks finish in the 11th position . . but get extremely lucky in the lottery and obtain a #1 or #2 pick once the selection order is announced. Do we keep the pick, because it's in the top 3, or does Phoenix get it?

• Premium Member

You state that our future rest on us getting a DOMINANT 2 WAY BIG The only player he's talking about is ODEN (HENCE, He has to bet that Oden comes out)... Secondly..... IF he's looking for ODEN, ODEN won't be #2 or #3.

Still, I know that Walter has been talking up Durant and whatever other player are on the mock boards... However, he only does that because he wants a reason for us to tank. If we got Durant or another of the other Forwards on the big board, we would only be duplicating another position once again.

Moreover, the third pick...

45% chance of falling...

YOU think Walter would take those odds grin.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

That's top 3 not #1 overall and believe me we could do an awful lot with a top 3 pick.

Yeah, we can keep our streak of drafting forwards going with anybody other than Oden...

So you're saying you want to tank, ruin the momentum, confidence, and pschye of this team... just so you can draft another forward...

DAMN BK...

Quote:

Quote:

I say..

Walter has not been all about the first pick in his posts, though. He has been about the benefit of the Hawks getting any pick 1-3. What you should be betting on is the whether the third worst team (which looks to be about the bets outcome for tanking at this point) will get a top 3 pick.

But any pick doesn't help us in our need areas. We can't play Durant at center, unless the decision is to go small, and play Smoove at center and Durant at PF.

Walter's argument has mainly revolved around getting Oden here. Oden is the immeadiate impact player in the middle. Durant may be good right out the gate, but he won't impact this team from an offensive and defensive standpoint, like Oden will.

And when you talk about a guy like Noah, he' strictly a defensive pickup, who may or may not be able to hold his own at center.

So his argument isn't just about gettting a top 3 pick. It's about getting Oden. It's always been about getting that dominant center . . not a dominant PF or a great scoring SF. So to get Oden, you have to be in the catbird seat at #1. It's always been mainly about Oden in his eyes.

The only team that might even think about passing on Oden, is Charlotte. They could go with Durant at #1, giving them a Okafor, Durant, Wallace frontcourt, with Morrison being the hired gun off the bench. But even they would be crazy to pass up on a "mini twin tower" look with Oden and Okafor.

By the way, they're not thinking about tanking either. They also went 8 - 7 for the month of January.

Quote:

Walter's argument has mainly revolved around getting Oden here. Oden is the immeadiate impact player in the middle. Durant may be good right out the gate, but he won't impact this team from an offensive and defensive standpoint, like Oden will.

I've never EVER hinged my position on Oden. I believe that anything top 3 would significantly impact this franchise positively including trading the pick. Yes, I would trade the pick for the right deal. In this draft a 3rd overall pick is worth more than anything we've got other than JJ. A 2nd pick is at least worth JJ IMO. A 1st overall pick is worth far more than JJ.

Quote:

So his argument isn't just about gettting a top 3 pick. It's about getting Oden. It's always been about getting that dominant center

BULLSHIT! You are just making [censored] up about my position! I have always, consistently stated 2 things:

1) That only a superstar justifies playing a player out of position and/or allows for a non-traditional team. For the record, I do not think JJ is a superstar, much less in this sense certainly. That means a player like Durant, who I believe 100% will be a superstar in this league, justifies playing players out of position or playing with a non-traditional team. REGARDLESS, it's not like you can't then trade from your giant talent excess afforded you by Durant to get your post player and Whalla have a more traditional team! DUH?!?

2) for this Hawks team to succeed they either they need to trade the lesser of MW or JS to meet their needs at C/Pf (i.e JO) or Pg in that order or somehow get a two-way dominant center to play with their 2, Sf starting lineup. I don't think MW can get us a good enough post player to justify trading him now, nor do I think we have the flexibility, capitol, or ownership to get a 2-way dominant center now. IN otherwords, we're stuck in no-man's medicrity land.

W

• Premium Member

YOU SPEND ALL OFFSEASON, ALL SUMMER, and ALL Winter talking about a dominant 2 way Center.

You rush to support O'Bryant and Sene.

Now you say that you haven't been calling the name of ODEN in your 100 tank posts a day?

• Premium Member

Quote:

If the Knicks don't make the playoffs, expect the 1st round pick that they gave the Bulls, to somehow jump into that #1 or #2 position in the lottery.

What is better for the league?

Greg Oden or Durant in Chicago? Or Greg Oden or Durant in a place like Atlanta, Charlotte, or in Philly without AI?

I've always been suspicious about the draft lottery and the process they use anyway, because you don't see the drawing of the ping pong balls live. They always preface the draft lottery selection show by saying that some reputable accounting firm oversaw the precedings, and that everything was secure.

It's a reason why the Knicks got Pat Ewing.

Speaking of that . . here's a question:

Our pick is top 3 protected. Now is that top 3 protected AFTER the lottery positions are picked, or top 3 protected according to how we finish in the standings?

For example . . would Phoenix still get our pick, if we had the 2nd worst record in the league, but somehow ended up having 2 teams jump ahead of us in the lottery, thus, making us pick 4th?

Conversely . . what if the Hawks finish in the 11th position . . but get extremely lucky in the lottery and obtain a #1 or #2 pick once the selection order is announced. Do we keep the pick, because it's in the top 3, or does Phoenix get it?

I don't give a **** about who bets who what but I agree with you about the lottery. I have believed for years that it is rigged and every draft that happens, especially with a known star coming out, just confirms that belief. Until we actually see the live drawing of the ping pong balls I will always believe it is rigged.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If Oden comes out, you owe me $20. Doesn't, I owe you $20. If we sign an impact FA starting at just below the maximum ($8 million) or greater you get $20. If not, I get $20.

Quote:

Do you take the BETS... BOTH BETS..

Just curious, why are you changing the bet?

I was a little confused by that, too.

Since we're in the betting spirit, I'd like to propose the following to anyone who want to take it!

I'm willing to bet $50 that the Hawks finish with 35 wins or more, this year.

Even odds, any takers?

The only stipulation I'd ask is that the loser donate his money to the Squawk, of course.

I question how many on this site can pony up if they lose grin.gifblush.giftongue.gif

some of the Smoove jockriders I'd question.

Another stipulation of my bet would be that I can't afford to make the wager with more than one person smile.gif *looks in empty pockets*

I got $50 on the table if you haven't already bet.