• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

name a center over 7' 0'' to trade for

cordele

the fact we keep looking for some 7 foot center to be given to us for a trade is useless. the lakers did not trade bynum because good 7 foot centers only happens about 1/100 and they are never traded except shaq. all the big centers like that except the heat and the rockets zaza outplayed them including big z from cleveland. his problem was with the 6'10 and below centers that al and shell should handle this year.

Quote:

We could get a 7 foot centre like a Hibbert or a Thabeet, or perhaps a Devon Hardin with a mid-late first rounder in next years draft.

We just need to find a team that is enamoured with Lue and/or AJ, and I don't think it's happening.

If Hibbert wasn't bright enough to leave when he was assured to be picked #3, I don't want him.

I know BK may have faded me to the left prior to the draft with his talk of Yi and others (I do realize that he never mentioned Horford...clue as to the way he thinks, "it's what is not said that may be important").

Recently I added some new trainer to my gym and two of them work with NBA players (a couple of them are still here getting ready for camp), but an assiociate of Bynum was in a couple of weeks ago and mentioned that the Lakers were concerned about his toughness. I suggested he take up boxing or Muay Thai to boost his confidence. That being said we don't need another timid big. Every game I went to last year I noticed that Marvin, Shell and Solo have this timid/fearful look in their eyes. We need a bad azz!

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

If Hibbert wasn't bright enough to leave when he was assured to be picked #3, I don't want him.

...and it seems he doesn't want us (Hawks). Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

I am glad we didn't pick Hibbert at #3. The guy strikes me as someone who is soft and will be an underacheiver in the NBA. I'd rather have Horford.

Quote:

the fact we keep looking for some 7 foot center to be given to us for a trade is useless. the lakers did not trade bynum because good 7 foot centers only happens about 1/100 and they are never traded except shaq. all the big centers like that except the heat and the rockets zaza outplayed them including big z from cleveland. his problem was with the 6'10 and below centers that al and shell should handle this year.

Good post. I agree Horford is the perfect guy for us to match up vs. smaller centers. A guy like Horford may even be MORE of a mismatch to our advantage vs. the bigger centers then ZaZa. His speed and atheletic ability should give the Big Z's of the world some major problems.

I totally agree you don't have to be 7' to play center. As a matter of fact I'm trying to list the 7' centers in today's league who are starter quality and play most of their minutes at center. I have tried but cannot come up with 10 of them. I even through in Gasol who has played much more PF in his career but seems to be moving more towards a pure center based on his team's make up.

1. Shaq

2. Yao

3. Big Z

4. Gasol - but plays at least half his minutes at PF

5. Chandler

6. Duncan is 7' but starts at PF and playes maybe 45% at C. However, he definately has starting center ability.

7. Bogut

8. Kaman (I'd rather have a talented "PF", like Horford, playing center in his place.

9. Oden - may be here prematurely

OK that is 8 definte starter quality centers at least 7'. Kaman had a down year last year and playing without Brand will expose his weaknesses all the more. He may be kicked out of this group but I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

There is a host of 6'10'' to 6'11'' guys who play center 90% of the time or more.

1. Stoudamire

2. Okur / jump shooter who plays outside the paint / Boozer does their dirty work inside.

3. Curry

4. Diop - woold start for over 1/2 the team in the NBA

5. Dampier - would start for over 1/2 the team in the NBA

6. ZaZa

7. Perkins

8. NeNe

9. B. Wallace

10. Dalembert

Then there are the talented 6'10 tp 6'11'' players who's talent level allows them to play both PF and Center effectively depending on match ups and team chemistry.

1. Bosh PF / C

2. Howard PF / C - quickly turning into a pure center but Foye and Battier will eat up some center minutes.

3. Okefor PF / C

4. Horford PF / C

5. Garnett - more of a PF but logs minutes at center too

6. R. Wallace - may have to play center for current Piston team.

7. J. O'Neil

A few I did not know how to group:

1. Nesterovich - starts for Toronto but Bosh ends up playing alot of center. Not sure how many teams he would start for.

2. Oberto - it does not take much to start be Tim Duncan and be effevtive. Again, not sure how many teams he would start for

3. Bynum- the dangerous word potential- not starter quality yet.

Swift, Petro, Sene, O'Bryant - young bigs with unproven potential. Maybe one out of this group turn into a legit starting NBA center.

I'm sure I left out some names. Just did this off the cuff. My point is when you look at the rest of the league our depth at center defintely NOW stacks up to the competition.

• Premium Member

I'm not going to say that.

I think there's some misunderstanding about Hibbert. I think he's young in basketball and he just may surprise everyone next season. Somewhere in DC, he needs to lose a little more weight and gain some muscle. But watching this kid this past year, I wouldn't dare say that he's a soft sensitive player. Nor will I say that Horford will have a better career... That's Homer talking.

homersimpson.gif

Horford's mobility and quickness will run rings around Hibbert. I'd be interested in Johan Petro, although more often than not players from island countries have not excelled in the NBA. He's still a project.

I think our own Solomon could serve us well if he develops . . . . and that may be a BIG if.

Quote:

...I think our own Solomon could serve us well if he develops . . . . and that may be a BIG if.

I think it'sa really big "if"...maybe a HUGE "if". I wouldn't put any stock in Solo. Lotsa non-skilled jumpers out there. He should have been in the D league last year...another mistake by BK/Woody.

• Moderators

Quote:

I'm not going to say that.

I think there's some misunderstanding about Hibbert. I think he's young in basketball and he just may surprise everyone next season. Somewhere in DC, he needs to lose a little more weight and gain some muscle. But watching this kid this past year, I wouldn't dare say that he's a soft sensitive player. Nor will I say that Horford will have a better career... That's Homer talking.

homersimpson.gif

Given that I said I liked Horford a lot better than Hibbert before Hibbert even withdrew from the draft and given that I thorougly dislike Florida, I am not sure how saying that Horford will be better than Hibbert is Homer talk.

Hibbert has too much Eddy Curry bad-rebounding softness in him as of last season. I would hate to use our #3 pick on smoeone who has to turn it around to be a solid starter in the NBA.

I just think he was overrated with G'Town's success. Definitely an NBA player and attractive at 7'2'' but high bust potential, IMO, for a guy taken at #3 overall in last year's draft.