• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Get a grip !

coachx

Many think the sky is falling. We all knew the Hawks had a brutal schedule the first few games. We were all praying for a 3-3 start. So we went 2-4. Is that reason to panic?

The next 2 weeks presents some very winnable games.

This is a marathon of a season, not a 6 game sprint. We got 2 rookies who just got their feet wet and our veteran center geting healthy. We could easily go on a 3 game winning streak startng Wendesday night.

We all preach about how the Hawks need to show some maturity. Maybe the board does as well. There is no reason to hit the PANICK BUTTOM.

• Premium Member

I think the problem is that the losses to the league's elite exposed a lot of the problems that our team has that keep us from being an elite team and maybe even an above average team.

The fear is that we've gone through this rebuild and we're no better.

Quote:

The fear is that we've gone through this rebuild and we're no better.

Horford is something to be encouraged about.

Marvin's dramatic all around impovment is something to be encouraged about.

What happens when JJ catched his groove ? That is something to be encouraged about

Our bench play is somthing to be encouraged about.

Quote:

that until this team shares the ball and plays unselfishly that it will lose. I don't think the change will happen under Woodson.

Does not matter how good we are individually, we will be a 30 win team if we continue to play one on one basketball....it is simple.

They only play one on one whenever Lue or Salim is in the game. They move the ball when Law is in the game... which is the first half of the first quarter and 3 minutes in the second quarter, 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter and 3 minutes in the last half of the 4th quarter.

before the season started all day! If we can come out with a good showing and beat a CHA team that KILLED us last year, I will be happy with where we are. We definitely still have some things to get worked out but I am FAR from being ready to panic and give up on this season.

Actually, that is not true, JJ shoots a bunch of forced jump shots early in the clock. Smoove forces things early in the clock...Marvin & Chillz usally get there points in the flow of the offense.

They always talk about sharing the ball, but they usually play a different way.

JJ does this a lot, not sure why, maybe he doesn't trust the play call, but if you pay attention to the nummber of times JJ brings the ball up dribbles 7 or 8 times and shoots a fadeaway jump shot, you may be suprised.

It starts with him, if your star is selfish is bogs down how well the team shares the ball.

It is almost like we have too many guys with something to prove and they are going about it the wrong way.

we are 2-6 and we arent playing our best basketball... so im ok w/ our record. lets make our adjustments and when our struggling players get out of their slump, we should be a better team.

we have to make adjustments.

less minutes to LUE = 1 major adjustment we should make.

Quote:

Many think the sky is falling. We all knew the Hawks had a brutal schedule the first few games. We were all praying for a 3-3 start. So we went 2-4. Is that reason to panic?

The next 2 weeks presents some very winnable games.

This is a marathon of a season, not a 6 game sprint. We got 2 rookies who just got their feet wet and our veteran center geting healthy. We could easily go on a 3 game winning streak startng Wendesday night.

We all preach about how the Hawks need to show some maturity. Maybe the board does as well. There is no reason to hit the PANICK BUTTOM.

The Hawks are playing pretty much the same way this season as they did last season. That's the thing that stands out more than a win/loss record.

Quote:

Actually, that is not true, JJ shoots a bunch of forced jump shots early in the clock. Smoove forces things early in the clock...Marvin & Chillz usally get there points in the flow of the offense.

JJ does this a lot, not sure why, maybe he doesn't trust the play call, but if you pay attention to the nummber of times JJ brings the ball up dribbles 7 or 8 times and shoots a fadeaway jump shot, you may be suprised.

It starts with him, if your star is selfish is bogs down how well the team shares the ball.

It is almost like we have too many guys with something to prove and they are going about it the wrong way.

How is the guy that leads this team in assists, "selfish?"

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

How is the guy that leads this team in assists, "selfish?"

I am not calling JJ selfish but for the answer to this see:

Marbury, Stephon

or

Iverson, Allen

or

etc.

Guys who dominate the ball selfishly often end up with good assist numbers.

I think we have looked like a much stronger team most of this year. Even in the Boston massacre, we looked to me like me might wear them down but they just never cooled off. If JJ shot normally so far this year, we'd be 3-3, maybe 4-2 with losses to Boston and just that weak showing overall against Washington.

I think JJ will come out and have a great game against Charlotte, we'll sorta overlook Seattle them take over late in the game, again led by JJ. Three outta the next four are very winnable road games so hopefully we can win two of those. San Antonio even here will probably be a loss.

Then December is our easiest month. We'll be fine.

There is plenty to be worried about without looking at the record. Prior to the season I would have expected to be about 2-4 at this point and been fine with it. But what we've seen on the floor gives me reason for concern.

It's just like the talent Woody has had excuses his record over the past 3 years, but if you've been paying attention you've seen that he's not good, ignoring the record.

Joe looks disinterested / pouty and has been in a cold streak since the first game of preseason. Except for a couple quick hot streaks he has not looked good. Josh Smith looks like a guy who may mean well but is trying too hard and putting himself before the team (maybe unintentionally) and still doesn't "get it". We don't know how to push it and don't look committed to run, yet we have absolutely no offensive system at all in the halfcourt. We still don't have a guy to set up all of our weapons. Horford does not look like a guy who can be your back to the basket scorer where you can dump it to him in the post and let him go to work. Horford has also basically confirmed that he is going to be a very good PF who can get away with playing some C, but isn't a natural center and will struggle guarding the C, so we still are weak defensively on the inside. Lue still gets the green light to pound it until there are 5 seconds left on the clock.

That being said, there are tons of positives. Acie is a great pickup, ready to make big plays. Horford is a great finisher and a great rebounder. Marvin has finally put it together. Joe, despite being in a slump, is still Joe. Chillz is doing his usual thing. We have the depth to overcome injuries.

There's definitely good and bad so far. But to me, more than anything, there seems to be a general feeling that this is a team ready to implode moreso than a team ready to explode. I think the next 2 weeks or so are crucial for keeping the team motivated. We better win 2 of the next 3, because I think a fragile team like ours isn't the kind that can afford to start the season 3-8.

Quote:

There is plenty to be worried about without looking at the record. Prior to the season I would have expected to be about 2-4 at this point and been fine with it. But what we've seen on the floor gives me reason for concern.

It's just like the talent Woody has had excuses his record over the past 3 years, but if you've been paying attention you've seen that he's not good, ignoring the record.

Joe looks disinterested / pouty and has been in a cold streak since the first game of preseason. Except for a couple quick hot streaks he has not looked good. Josh Smith looks like a guy who may mean well but is trying too hard and putting himself before the team (maybe unintentionally) and still doesn't "get it". We don't know how to push it and don't look committed to run, yet we have absolutely no offensive system at all in the halfcourt. We still don't have a guy to set up all of our weapons. Horford does not look like a guy who can be your back to the basket scorer where you can dump it to him in the post and let him go to work. Horford has also basically confirmed that he is going to be a very good PF who can get away with playing some C, but isn't a natural center and will struggle guarding the C, so we still are weak defensively on the inside. Lue still gets the green light to pound it until there are 5 seconds left on the clock.

That being said, there are tons of positives. Acie is a great pickup, ready to make big plays. Horford is a great finisher and a great rebounder. Marvin has finally put it together. Joe, despite being in a slump, is still Joe. Chillz is doing his usual thing. We have the depth to overcome injuries.

There's definitely good and bad so far. But to me, more than anything, there seems to be a general feeling that this is a team ready to implode moreso than a team ready to explode. I think the next 2 weeks or so are crucial for keeping the team motivated. We better win 2 of the next 3, because I think a fragile team like ours isn't the kind that can afford to start the season 3-8.

Possibly the best post I've seen on here in atleast a month.

Quote:

Quote:

Possibly the best post I've seen on here in atleast a month.

I agree nice post Lascar.