• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Golden State sent an offer for Smoove

Sothron

You're preaching to the choir, here. This move reeks of Nique for Manning to me. After seeing what Diaw could do in Phoenix, I shudder to think of what numbers Smith would put up in Nellie's system (with a legit PG no less). While I'm not the biggest fan in terms of Smith's shot selection, he has all the makings of a guy who can average double-doubles of the 20/13 kind for the next decade, especially if a 'real' head coach was here (cough cough).

You don't move a guy like that for a functional center, even if its Biedrins; you just don't. If he was a problem in the locker room or wanted out of here, that's a different story. But right now, I'd need a little more...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh Smith is being very underrated in this thread. Yes AB is a better rebounder and inside scorer, but if Smoove left tell me, who's gonna replace his weak-side shot blocking, who's gonna replace his energy, can AB guard the perimeter, can he beat player off the dribble and take it to the whole. Can he finish like Josh in the open court, who will replace the passion that Josh brings to the table. This is a bad trade, that shouldn't even be considered.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Josh Smith is being very underrated in this thread. Yes AB is a better rebounder and inside scorer, but if Smoove left tell me, who's gonna replace his weak-side shot blocking,

Biedrins.

Quote:

who's gonna replace his energy

Biedrins. (Are you sure you've seen him?)

Quote:

can AB guard the perimeter

Umm, the Hawks' perimeter players?

Quote:

can he beat player off the dribble and take it to the whole.

If Smith did that with consistency, no one would ever consider trading him.

Quote:

Can he finish like Josh in the open court,

Yes. He's a good dunker.

Quote:

who will replace the passion that Josh brings to the table.

I couldn't care less, because passion doesn't win games. Defense does.

No disrespect at all but, what you posted...proves--that you haven't seen AB that many times. He's a bigger body yes....but he plays much worse interior Defense. We are better off with the lineup we have.

Just look at the stats of players...who've faced him this year.

But as usual...this fanbase overhypes another teams player and undervalue ours.

I like his game and think he works hard. He also fits with what Golden State likes to do.

But why would they want to trade their top center for Josh Smith? Because they can't handle Utah and need someone who can muscle up with Boozer and Milsap. Now I'm not saying Smith is a rebounding monster but he can use his strength to bother Utah more so than Biedrens.

Perhaps the soft euro comment was a bit harsh but at the end of the day I'd take Smith over Biedrens every time.

MrH., I think you're just way off on this one. Biendrins is 6-11 . . 235. That's pretty much the same size as Marcus Camby.

The knock on Camby is, that while he's a very good shot blocker, he's not that great of a man defender. Good post players can muscle and push Camby around. And that's exactly what they do to Biendrins.

Boris Diaw damn near looked like an all-star two years ago in the playoffs, when he played "point" center for Phoenix. 19 ppg in the playoffs for that kid? And why? Because he was able to take advantage of bigger centers, and use his quickness to score. It's all about the Phoenix system, when it comes to Diaw.

The same goes for Biendrins. His numbers are greatly enhanced by that Golden St. system. And until I see this guy really hunker down on defense, and actually stop a good post player from having his way on him, I can't even consider trading a talent like Smith, for a role player like Biendrins. He couldn't do anything with Utah's big guys last year in the playoffs. 6.4 ppg and 6.3 rebs in the entire playoffs last year, while not being able to stop anybody.

You know who Biendrins is? He's a less skilled offensive, better skilled defensive version of Troy Murphy. A nice player to have on your team, but NOT a player to trade a starter for.

It'll be totally different if you were talking about adding him, without trading Smith. Then you would be getting somewhere, because we could either start him in place of ZaZa, or bring him off the bench as a decent defensive big. But to subtract Smith to add Biendrins? No way.

The bad thing about this thread, is that Smoove is almost certain to struggle against San Antonio. Smith will look great against bad defensive PFs, but look bad against PFs that can play good defense. Tim Duncan will probably be on him, and he always struggles with the Spurs.

It was actually ZaZa that played well against the Spurs last February. I think Smoove's career high vs the Spurs is 9 points, in that same game last February. He shot 3 - 14 in that game. So it will be interesting to see how he plays against them in a couple of days.

• Premium Member

Have any of these people who are slobbering all over Biedrins actually seen him play?

He is not a defensive presence, not even close. He is the anchor for one of the worst defenses in NBA history. The thing that would be appealing about Biedrins are his height and his age.

We would be a worse defensive team with Biedrins instead of Smoove... why the hell do you think the NBA's WORST defensive team is trying to get Smoove for Biedrins?... to improve their offense? no. They need to get better at defense and J-Smoove looks like a future Defensive player of the year, while Biedrins looks like another undersized center.

Oh, and Biedrins' 2.1 blocks in 37 minutes a game is not even close to impressive for someone his size. Biedrins ranks 28th in Blocks per 48 minutes... behind other Defensive monsters like: Andrew Bogut, Chris Kaman, Yi Jianlian, David Harrison, Amare Stoudemire, Kendrick Perkins, Dwayne Jones, Stromile Swift, Darko Milicic etc...

I love that the only proof that mrHonline gives for Biedrins being a good defender is an 8 game log... that just reeks of an agenda, not to mention he brings up the "fact" that Smoove is hard to get along with, when the only people in the entire organization he has ever had any kind of beef with are Woody and AJ... (the worst coach in the NBA and the player who WALKED out on the team... obviously Smoove is a punk pillepalle.gif) J-Smoove is well liked by all his teamates (except perhaps by Anthony, "I'm so good I can show up to games whenever I like, Johsnon). Erratic offensive play is the only real point that he brings up. That's a valid point, but, after seeing him in his last three games, I don't see why it is hard to assume that he will get better at it.

After the Seattle and the Milwaukee game it amazes me how people can continue to underestimate Smooves' value to our team. He is the only reason we are not ahead of Golden State in Points per game allowed.

If Golden State's package included a first rounder, I would consider it... but there is no way, in a million years, that I would take Biedrins for Smoove straight up.

Quote:

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Biedrins is a true center, Horford is a true PF, and Marvin is a true SF who is also a borderline PF. All of them can rebound and play defense, and all of them are team-oriented, and stay inside their role in the offense. If Law comes through at PG, we wouldn't have a weakness, except for head coach.

ALL TRUE so just get us a new coach first before we make any trade.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Bedrinas will be an allstar center this year.

Mark it down !

What centers are better then him in the West ?

Let see... First and foremost... Yao will be starting Center in the West.

Second... Duncan will be starting PF.

Also at PF you have: Carlos Boozer, Dirk Nitwitski, David West, and Al Jefferson

At C you have: Kaman, Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, Camby, and even AL Harrington!

Somebody will get snubbed but Biedrins won't be an allstar.

Quote:

Quote:

Bedrinas will be an allstar center this year.

Mark it down !

What centers are better then him in the West ?

Let see... First and foremost... Yao will be starting Center in the West.

Second... Duncan will be starting PF.

Also at PF you have: Carlos Boozer, Dirk Nitwitski, David West, and Al Jefferson

At C you have: Kaman, Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, Camby, and even AL Harrington!

Somebody will get snubbed but Biedrins won't be an allstar.

he is not even the best center on his team since Harrington is apparently a center on that squad as well.

Personally, I wouldn't trade Smoove because I like him but from a "fairness" perspective, this is certainly a fair offer. When you throw in the fact that Biedrins plays C and that good C's are hard to come by, it is MORE than fair.

All that said, if BK could wrangle that 1st out of GS, I'd have to strongly consider pulling the trigger. This is no knock against Smoove - I'd trade any player on our roster other than JJ for Biedrins/1st.

Caveat - I would have to get some kind of indication as to what it would take to resign Beidrins before I would pull the trigger on a deal. If I have to overpay, I'm going to overpay Smoove all day.

it. I would keep Smoove rather than trade him for Biedrins straight up because I have an emotional investment with Smoove and I think his upside is higher than Biedrins'. I also really enjoy watching Smoove play even if he does frustrate me at times.

Still, if Smoove for Biedrins is not a fair offer, what is? Both are 21 (Smoove is 4 months older), both have tons of upside and both have flaws in their games. Both also have All Star potential. I think Smoove's upside is higher but I think Biedrin's upside is sufficiently high when you consider that he plays a premium position that the offer is "fair."

• Premium Member

I think more than me having an "emotional investment" with Smoove, the thing that makes me not want to pull the trigger is the fact that I know what Smoove is, because I've seen him with my own eyes on a consistent basis, and I feel I have a good idea about how good he can become. I haven't seen Biedrins play as much as Smoove (not even close to be honest), but when I have seen him he has been a total non factor on defense... that, plus the fact that he is getting 37 minutes a game at Center for a team that is allowing over 110 points a game leads me to believe he is an overrated defender. The main thing people have to think about, when they consider Biedrins, is how his numbers would translate to our team... Biedrins right now is scoring 13 a game and shooting 60% from the field... this with Baron Davis at the point and Don Nelson at the helm... does anybody really believe that his offensive production won't suffer with Lue at the point and with Woody calling the plays???

I'm sure if you ask the experts some would tell you Smoove is the player with better potential, and others would tell you that Biedrins is... personally I go with Smoove just due to the fact that he has put up better numbers (last year) in a less structured (understatement of the century alert) system.