• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it time to explore Trading Josh Smith

wolvetigers

I know Josh Smith has all the talent in the world. Great Defense, trained with Hakeem Olaujawon in the summer, but he still takes ill advised shots and seems impossible to coach. I know the rule of thumb shared by most fans would be to Keep smith an explore trading Marvin but I dont know how many games we can win when uncoachable Josh Smith takes ill advised shots time after time and then argues with the coach repeatedly. His Value is very high, should we explore trading him b/c eventually if not already will be a cancer in the locker room? And JJ will not wait around much longer for the Hawks to get serious. Just a thought.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok genius what do you propose? I have been to countless Hawks games the last two years especially sitting a few seats behind the bench and I'm telling you Josh Smith needs to grow up and increase his basketball IQ. Not only that but you would think in his contract year he would atleast be improving his game. Mike Woodson will most likely be the fall guy this season b/c in my city we get caught up in highlight reels. The same football highlight reels that VIck use to dominate. I know the season is young but we cant blame the coach for everything. Josh Smith is playing DUMB A$$ hell on offense, and now when JJ is struggling Joshs play is just magnified.

But lets live and die with Josh Smith...you idiot pillepalle.gif

I have definitely been one to be against trading Josh Smith as such an early time in his career with the talent he shows.

But I must admit that while watching the game tonight, that thought crept into my brain.

It's a two-fold issue:

1- he is someone who pouts. he is not a rasheed wallace complaining type player. but he does pout, he sulks and when we're down it drives me nuts. i am frustrated too josh, but stop sulking. want to be less frustrated? stop shooting

2- some call him a tweener. too small for power forward, not good enough shot for small forward......actually, i say it's something a little different. I think he's a guard type player, but without a guard's offensive skills or handles and who happens to be in a smallforward-powerforward body. he has obviously played most of his life facing the basket in a sg type role in high school........what is strange is that he hit some 3's in high school, at least maybe he was average...but it's like he became manute bol with is shot or something...too rigid....anyway, he's a too big shooting guard without a shot or handles.

but with that said, i'm not ready yet to pull a trigger unless we're getting back a really good true center. but i can't think of one that fits the bill. i think his attitude issues maybe subside a little once (if) we start winning.

honestly, we need a talented vet on this team.

As bad as he is offensively (and it was pathetic today)...he's only 21. He's leading the league in blocks and has shown flashes to have big time offensive talent.

That said, we gotta do something about JJ and him being on the same side. JJ will get doubled leaving Smoove with the open BRICK. That needs to be Marvin shooting that shot (as time winds down).

Also, why don't we set screens on offense? It seems like Chicago ran a ton more screens for their jump shooters than we do. I'd like to see Joe and Marvin get more (and better) screens.

If this was street ball Id say hell no keep Smoove. Problem is its the nba and you need guys who know how to play a fluid game on offense and give all out effort on defense. Smoove can make great blocks and great dunks but he is a flat out murderer of a team offense and plays very bad team defense which his great athletic ability makes up for sometimes but sometimes it doesnt. YES WE NEED TO TRADE SMOOVE nad I am certain BK has tried but it has to make sense for us. We cant just give him away. He has potential which in this league has higher value to gm's than most players who make all star teams. If we could get Gasol for Smoove we have to do it. I dont know enough about Biedrins to say yes or no, I just havnt seen him play alot. Who else is out there?

Quote:

It's so sad that none of you realize how bad our TEAM offense is. Put Josh on a different team, with even a DECENT PG and coach and he will absolutely explode. It will be the Nique trade all over again.

Josh Smith being compared to Nique. You are either way to young to have ever seen Nique play; or you were drunk and/or on drugs when you did.

Smoove has absolutely no game and I mean no game compared to Nique!

• Premium Member

What flashes of offensive talent has he shown? Be honest here. Does he have a low post game in any way? No. Does he have a reliable jump shot? No. Does he have a reliable three point range? No. What exactly DOES he have besides some fast break or put back dunk potential on a regular basis?

I am not being a hater. I am being serious. Go back and look at his game film and tell me what he does on offense on a reliable basis that makes you think he's worth the 10 million plus a year it will take to resign him.

Josh also seems to play too upright. He bends at his waist instead of with his knees on his shot and when he tries to drive to the basket. The lower he gets the more explosive he is. He's less explosive (it's been a while since I saw him dunk) and he NEVER shoots fade aways, so ends up getting blocked and shooting very awkward shots.

One good thing he's doing offensively is getting to the line. He's averaging 8 per and went 10 times tonight.

A know in a few games he'll give us a game where he gets 21 points (on like 13 shots), 11 boards, 4 assists, 6 blocks, and 3 steals...and I'll remember why I know that we need to stick with this guy.

Quote:

Who's comparing him to Nique?? I said if we trade him (unless we get an all-star in return), it will be as bad as the Nique trade.

It is not even close to that. Nique was an all star, future HOF; Josh is a young kid that has never made a all anything 1st team. And if he keeps shooting .400, he never will make a anything team...