• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woodson said it's "unfair" we play Horford at C

BHayley

He sure abused Pau tonight that's for sure and it's been one of the major arguments against acquiring Pau and his enormous salary because for all of the good things he does he is at best an average defender who picks up the occasional block.

While it may be unfair to Al to play him at C unless we move Smoove or Marvin I don't see anywhere for that 7' to play and like you said there aren't exactly an overwhelming number of quality 7'ers in this league.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Unfair for who? Pau?

I'd love to have a 7-footer on this team. But they're a rare breed these days. Even if we could sign one this summer, like Diop, they're not good for any more than 20 minutes per game.

Height is not the biggest issue... Pau is 7 foot but he isn't a Center, he's a PF. Horford usually has good nights against teams with weak Centers, and usually struggles against teams with true centers.. It would be really nice to get somebody who can be an effective center for those nights where Horf is having a hard time.

Quote:

He sure abused Pau tonight that's for sure

Huh? Every time he tried to score on Pau he couldn't. He got his points on dunks set up by other players or putbacks. He missed every jumper and jump hook that he shot over Pau. He didn't even TRY to take Pau off the dribble which doesn't make sense because, as you said, Pau isn't much of a defender.

Horford did a good job defensively and obviously on the boards but hardly abused him offensively.

Quote:

Quote:

He sure abused Pau tonight that's for sure

Huh? Every time he tried to score on Pau he couldn't. He got his points on dunks set up by other players or putbacks. He missed every jumper and jump hook that he shot over Pau. He didn't even TRY to take Pau off the dribble which doesn't make sense because, as you said, Pau isn't much of a defender.

Horford did a good job defensively and obviously on the boards but hardly abused him offensively.

Hmmm, I only watched part of the game and I remember him back Pau down for a lay up.

Abusing someone isn't all about scoring. He kept Pau off the glass and did score against him. No he wasn't abusing him offensively in the Hakeem the dream kind of way but he was getting himself space and keeping himself from getting boxed out by Pau which was leading to put backs and dunks.

• Premium Member

Quote:

they're not good for any more than 20 minutes per game.

Ding, ding, ding.

And that's why we should trade either Zaza or Shelden for said reserve big man. I still like Jeff Foster in that role more than anyone else realistically available.

Horf's quickness is a huge asset for him and he has a quick jump. His moter also never quits. When this kid bulds up and has a year under his belt he's going to be a Stud.

Foster sounds like a reasonable acquisition for us. To be realistic it will be someone like him and not a huge name.

Quote:

Foster sounds like a reasonable acquisition for us. To be realistic it will be someone like him and not a huge name.

Jeff Foster would be a great addition. Then ZaZa would never see the floor again and Foster would average his 9 rpg in his 25 mpg.

I saw on realgm where Foster has a trade kicker but the may be in favor of a change. He has one more year left on his deal.

It will take Chills to get a big who does the dirty work like Foster......thats a steap price but it makes us a more complete team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Jeff Foster would be a great addition. Then ZaZa would never see the floor again and Foster would average his 9 rpg in his 25 mpg.

I saw on realgm where Foster has a trade kicker but the may be in favor of a change. He has one more year left on his deal.

It will take Chills to get a big who does the dirty work like Foster......thats a steap price but it makes us a more complete team.

I don't think it would take JChillz. Foster is a basic rebounding and defending 6-11 player that would help us BUT his talent level is not on a level with JChiilz.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

No thanks...

Do you realize how much we have with Chillz?

Last night, I was watching Chillz and the guy never stops working and causes problems for other teams because of all of our guys, he's the one who is truly uptempo. He breaks out on missed shots. He rebounds missed shots. He can finish.

Foster is OK, but a little older.

Why not play Solo some more?

When this team runs their one of the best in the league but the problem is our main guys log alot of minutes b/c the likes of ZaZa/Shelden can't produce when their in the game.

Without Smoove and Horford we have no interior defense. Al isn't a big time shot blocker but Josh is (which is incredible considering he's a forward) but Al cleans up the glass like no othe rookie I've seen of late.

Jeff Foster would be a great addition but just not for Chillz. Maybe ZaZa/2nd?

Quote:

No thanks...

Do you realize how much we have with Chillz?

Last night, I was watching Chillz and the guy never stops working and causes problems for other teams because of all of our guys, he's the one who is truly uptempo. He breaks out on missed shots. He rebounds missed shots. He can finish.

Foster is OK, but a little older.

Why not play Solo some more?

Good points s D.....I'm going to play devil's advocvate for converation purposes.

Chill is definantly our best player at leaking back for fast break oppurtunities. He seems to alwayse be the guy who leaks out for a fast break rather then crash the boards. I'm not sure if that is his role by design or if he is left to read the situation and cheat back vs.crashing the boards using his own judgement. At the same time he is limited in many ways too.

I do know that if Bynum was heathy Horford would have needed alot of help uderneath. Thank goodness we have no games left with Phoneix b/c Shaq and Stoudemire could destroy us underneath.

I think we would all like to see Solo get his shot to play. With his wing span you would think he would be a much better defender and rebounder then ZaZa.

History shows that if you want a center in a trade you normally have to over pay to get one.

Phoneix just traded the 29 year old Marion (Chillz Light)for the 36 year old Shaq. Sure there are exceptions like the salary cap dump trade that Memphis made but those are hard to come buy and take an ownership group willing to spend extra $$$ which we probably don't have right now. Don't hold your breath for one of those....Lets face it, that Memphis trade was Jerry West helping out the Lakers just like what McHale did for Boston with Garnett. No one is trying to help out the Hawks like that.

If we want to be a running team then definately keep Chills. If we want more muscle underneath he and Marvin may be our only bargaining chips with real value (other then Smith, Horford, and JJ). If a center is brought in that will make us more half court oriented cauing Chillz to be less effective. Marvin is needed in the half court more so then Chillz. That was my rational for trading Chillz over the guy who's been in your dog house (Marvin). ((No one wants our trash for a decent big man, (Lo, Salim, ZaZa)

These are the issues that come up in the playoffs where not even Phoneix can run at will. The games slow down and big bruisers show their worth. Since we are about to be a playoff team and are makin a move on the #6 seed.....Why wait ?

Kerr put his job on the line b/c the Suns needed CHANGE. If even Phoneix is deviating from the run at all cost plan then maybe we should re-evaluate too.

Remember that was a tired Lakers team on the 2nd night of back to backs we beat and out ran last night. They have been on the road traveling 9 consecutive days without their starting center and Kobe was not the normal Kobe last night with the hut finger on his shooting hand. Kobe did not attack like normal b/c it would hurt like hell if he fell or dunked using that hurt finger.

I'm not being the pessimist....just playing devil's advocate to try to engage in some good debate about the Hawks future direction.

After all, the team with the best record in basketball....the Phonex Suns just had the very same debate. So why shouldn't we ?

Quote:

Abusing someone isn't all about scoring. He kept Pau off the glass and did score against him. No he wasn't abusing him offensively in the Hakeem the dream kind of way but he was getting himself space and keeping himself from getting boxed out by Pau which was leading to put backs and dunks.

All of horfords points were right at the rim. He didn't back down Gasol for a score or drive past him for a score. he got 7 offensive rebounds and a lot of his points came from that. It is nice that he got so many boards but remember Pau played last night and this is just his second game with a new team.

Horford needs to show something on offense other than standstill jumpers (which he has been clanging with regularity) and weak jump hooks against taller players.

If Pau had been guarding Smith you can bet that Smith would have beat him off the dribble repeatedly, and it isn't like Smith is great off the dribble.