• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Now..is the right time to trade for a star player.

pimp

The East will be there for the taking next season.It all depends on who makes the right moves this summer.If we can trade for a star player, we should do it.

We could make it to the 2nd seed in the east.

After you look at the other teams situation, you will see that the east is wide open enough for anyone to make it to the finals.

1. Boston :: They are old

2.Detroit:: They may be breaking up that team

3. Cavs:: Still no sidekick for Lebron.

4.Orlando:: No go-to-guy

5.Toronto:: No 2nd Scorer to go with Bosh

6.Washington:: Arenas has knee problems, and is a fa,

7.Sixer :::No legit scorer

8.Hawks:: Ready to leap frog the other teams, if we can bring in a star player, like

the Lakers did with Gasol, and the Celtics with KG/Allen.

But I think all the star players (at least those you would want) have already been dealt...

The only two "stars" that will be readily available this summer appear to be Vince Carter and Jermaine O'Neal.

I don't want a damn thing to do with either of them.

Quote:

Carter and JO are not stars anymore. They fill stat sheets. They do not help teams win ball games.

lol what did KG and Ray Allen and Paul Pirece do before this year?they damn sure weren't helping win anything.The kind of guys you're looking for aren't available

Quote:

Quote:

Carter and JO are not stars anymore. They fill stat sheets. They do not help teams win ball games.

lol what did KG and Ray Allen and Paul Pirece do before this year?they damn sure weren't helping win anything.The kind of guys you're looking for aren't available

Only way we're going to get a star is if we do a Sign and Trade. I wouldn't mind taking Carter, even though we really don't need him.

• Premium Member

I agree with the exception of the prognostication on Orlando, Sixers, Charlotte, Miami, and Chicago...

You see, just because they didn't make the playoffs doesn't mean that they are not a threat.

Chicago, Charlotte, and Miami are sleeping Giants. They all have difference makers on their team and they are all going to be in the lottery. We should include them on any discussion on contenders because from now until we play the deadline, these teams have the capital to either win or make big moves and win.

Just imagine is Chicago parlays their first pick into Elton Brand or somebody?

There's also Orlando. You say that they have no goto player. I say the more Howard plays, the more he looks like an unstoppable force. He has two side kicks who can hit the open shot. Orlando won their division and they don't need much. Otis Smith earned his keep.

But your premise is right. We should consider every opportunity to get a star or superstar in here.

Miami is who I am concerned with. Wade, Beasley, Marion, Williams, and FA C- that team makes the playoffs if healthy. Not real concerned with the 'Cats because they truly have no go-to guy. Orlando, however, does. Howard is a top-tier player in the NBA, not to mention Lewis, Turkoglu and Nelson. Orlando ascends to the 2 seed, at least, next year. Write it down.

I agree, though, we should go for a big player if we can ship any combo of Bibby/Marv/Zaza/Speedy. I'm gaining a rep as a Smoove-kisser so I won't say anything about not trading him wink.gif. However, I can't really think of anybody worth going after in our price/package range. Any thoughts?

Suprised no one has mentioned Baron Davis (29) or Elton Brand (29).

They seem to be the 2 star players who could be had who still have 2 - 3 years of prime basketball left similar to Ray Allen (31), Garnett (30), and Paul Gasol (27). Of those 3 none are a true #1 options, though I still consider them legit #2 options and stars. Garnett's defense is what makes him a top 5 player.

I also like the idea of Richard Jefferson if Marvin does not improve the first half of the season.

Remember we already got Bibby as a win now trade on a 1.5 year rental.

What bothers me is that I'm not sure we are at the point that the Lakers and Celtics were at. Pierce was 30 and Kobe was 29 when they made their win now trade. JJ is 27 and all of our other players with star potential are still just babies at 22 and 21.

I agree though. If we can trade off spare parts for a star player or close to star player (as we did with Bibby) then we have to go for it as long as enough salary space is left over to fill out the roster.

I think our best bet is for either Smith or Horford to the next step and become a legit top 20 player.

Be patient and stay the course until we are closer to the trade deadline when Law growth can be examined and Bibby /ZaZa's expiring contracts will be at max value. That is what I would stick to.

Amongst the movers, Denver, the Clips and Golden State may most be in the "break them up" mode.

I would tender Bibby and Marvin to AI and Anthony Carter. Denver will save 3-4 mil. and have a 13 mil. expiring. The Hawks can move JJ to the 3, have AI at the 2 and Carter for needful minutes at the Point.

If Sterling scraps the Clips, we can look at Maggette, Kamen or possible Brand. Maggette and Brand can walk if they want which makes it easier to menuever a deal. Again Marvin and Bibby are the bait.

The entire Warriors lineup (save Ellis) will be available. I like Baron and Azubuike. And Barnes and Biedrins.

My choice of these will be AI and Carter. I would move the 2010 first round pick to Memphis for Javaris and have that Big point matched with AI's 2G backcourt.

Quote:

Amongst the movers, Denver, the Clips and Golden State may most be in the "break them up" mode.

I would tender Bibby and Marvin to AI and Anthony Carter. Denver will save 3-4 mil. and have a 13 mil. expiring. The Hawks can move JJ to the 3, have AI at the 2 and Carter for needful minutes at the Point.

If Sterling scraps the Clips, we can look at Maggette, Kamen or possible Brand. Maggette and Brand can walk if they want which makes it easier to menuever a deal. Again Marvin and Bibby are the bait.

The entire Warriors lineup (save Ellis) will be available. I like Baron and Azubuike. And Barnes and Biedrins.

My choice of these will be AI and Carter. I would move the 2010 first round pick to Memphis for Javaris and have that Big point matched with AI's 2G backcourt.

I can't see the Clips being in rebuild mode, considering they have one of the better frontcourts in the league if Brand stays. Kaman, Brand, and Thornton is very potent. They are a few moves away from contending in the west, if you ask me.

I would love to have AI here, but like you said we would need a big PG. We could also put him at PG. I don't know how it would work, but I'm thinking because Joe is also a playmaker then it will work better than it did when they tried it in Denver.

[quoto]

There's also Orlando. You say that they have no goto player. I say the more Howard plays, the more he looks like an unstoppable force. He has two side kicks who can hit the open shot. Orlando won their division and they don't need much. Otis Smith earned his keep.

Teams will just hack-a-shaq Howard. You go to have someone else who will make the big shots down the stretch. Shaq had kobe and Wade.Hakeem had Cassell, Duncan has Mano.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think he wasn't a win now deal like KG, Ray Allen, etc.

(1) We gave up nothing of lasting value (compared to lottery picks, Jefferson, etc.);

(2) We do improve in the short run with Bibby;

(3) He is an expiring contract this year (trade value);

and

(4) He clears up a lot of salary space if we want to use it to resign the Joshes, Marvin, etc.

I could easily see a scenario where the ASG tries to win more while Bibby is on the roster and then elevates Law and uses that $$ to resign our own players.

I guess the reason I don't see it as a "win now" deal is because I don't think we give up any piece of future prosperity for the rights to Bibby, unlike what the Celtics did.

I agree, I think what this season has proved is that a "win now" approach is more valuable than a slow burn to prosperity. I would much rather be a Celtics fan than a Bulls fan. Or a Lakers fan rather than a Sixers fan. In an era of free agency and freak injuries, you can't afford to get a group of young players and hope they grow together in order to have a 10 year dynasty with a few rings and playoffs appearances. There really hasn't been a team in history that has done it. The Spurs had a nucleus (who had a HOFer at its center) but surrounded it with tons of free agents with championship experience. The Pistons made saavy trades, which culminated in trading a draft pick for Sheed. And the old Heat team traded basically one bad year for a championship and a finals appearance.

That being said, we need to move as many pieces we have in order to get either a star, or a semi star in order to jump into the big time. We got to go for a ring now and not hope to be the 5th seed next year, and then maybe a 3rd seed the year after. The Bulls and the Bucks showed that tomorrow isn't promised to you. We need to move Marvin and Bibby for Jermaine O'neal while the getting is good. Even if you don't believe that JON is the guy he once was, he would clearly be an upgrade in our front line. I think that playing alongside Horford and Smoove would allow O'neal to exploit his talents without having to kill himself every night. Even coming off the injury list, he killed us at a time when we had to have a win on order to clinch. I think he still can be a 18-20ppg/8 rpg/2blks type of player. If he does that we basically have a younger, more athletic version of the Celtics.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

4) He clears up a lot of salary space if we want to use it to resign the Joshes, Marvin, etc.

Not really. AJ, Lue and Blo were expiring deals.

It doesn't clear much space (other than Shelden's contract) but does still clear a lot of cap space. The point is that we didn't sacrifice the future at all to acquire Bibby compared to a deal like acquiring Zach Randolph were you are assuming long-term salary obligations.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Suprised no one has mentioned Baron Davis (29) or Elton Brand (29).

They seem to be the 2 star players who could be had who still have 2 - 3 years of prime basketball left similar to Ray Allen (31), Garnett (30), and Paul Gasol (27). Of those 3 none are a true #1 options, though I still consider them legit #2 options and stars. Garnett's defense is what makes him a top 5 player.

I also like the idea of Richard Jefferson if Marvin does not improve the first half of the season.

What bothers me is that I'm not sure we are at the point that the Lakers and Celtics were at. Pierce was 30 and Kobe was 29 when they made their win now trade. JJ is 27 and all of our other players with star potential are still just babies at 22 and 21.

I agree though. If we can trade off spare parts for a star player or close to star player (as we did with Bibby) then we have to go for it as long as enough salary space is left over to fill out the roster.

I think our best bet is for either Smith or Horford to the next step and become a legit top 20 player.

Be patient and stay the course until we are closer to the trade deadline when Law growth can be examined and Bibby /ZaZa's expiring contracts will be at max value. That is what I would stick to.

Well I like Brand and Jefferson. Jefferson was on a Jersey team that did not run that much and Carter got the touches, but before Carter came Jefferson was really running the court and producing some good numbers. I do not want to trade marvin because he really improved this year and I think he will become a very good player because he is stillreal young! Brand is another player that is interesting and a money player. Age and injuries are catching up to him and I'm not sure you could get him without giving up Smith and I am not willing to do that.

Quote:

It doesn't clear much space (other than Shelden's contract) but does still clear a lot of cap space.

You definitely lost me there.

As it stands now we have $51 million committed for next season. Without the Bibby deal we would have $39 million committed for next season.

I don't see how the Bibby deal helps in resigning the Joshs.

I think the man to get is Micheal Redd from the Bucks. I've seen rumors that he is available and is not too happy in his current situation and wouldn't mind to relocate. I think his shooting would improve JJ's game immensly. Especially JJ's post-up game, which im sure more of us would like him to exploit more often. I think he would do alot for Smoove and Horford as well, who's post-up games should be improved over the summer and featured in the offense next year.

Marv/Bibby(exp)/2009 1st rnd pick top 5 protec

for

Micheal Redd

Then I've seen alot about Calderon being the man that the Raptors want to keep up in Canada, and Calderon mentioning that he wants to be a starter. Meaning Ford is expendable. I think he can be had for a cheaper price than he is worth.

Sign &Trade Chillz

for

TJ Ford

Our Lineup:

Ford/Law

JJ/Stoudemire

Redd/Richardson

Smoove/Zaza

Horford/Solo

Coach: Mike Fratello

This team in my opionion is ready to finals contenders in the weak East. I think this team can still be tweaked in terms of strengthening the bench but this deffinetly is a good start towards improvement. All Fratello needs to do is instill a winning attitude, toughness, and defense into these guys and I see no reason why they can't take over the east next year. Thoughts?

First Michael Redd and JJ couldnt' co exist. They both need shots and the same kind of shots, that being mostly from the perimeter. Second, it does nothing to improve our post game or interior defense, it is basically a fantasy basketball trade. Third, Acie Law would be a wasted pick if we bring a pg like TJ ford in. Besides, the way Ford plays, he is prone to injury.

I will say it again, our most prudent move is Jermaine O'neal. He is the only likely available player who could improve both our interior offense and defense. He would also provide us with a little star power which would energize the fan base....which as we saw in the Celtics series, our team plays better when the crowd is crunk. And we basically could do it by moving players who are not essential to our future....Bibby and Marvin. Marvin is basically a luxury right now and Bibby is too old and inconsistent to be in the long term plan. We move them, get a healthy speedy or bring in a Duhon, Bring over D.A. and we will be contenders

Law/Duhon? Speedy

JJ/Salim

Smoove/Chills

Horford/David Andersen

J. O'neal/Solo

I think we move Zaza to Chicago for Duhon and a 2nd