• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

HAWKS SIGN MAURICE EVANS--3 YR 7.5 MILLION

GTfan44

Uhm?? Yes!

If you consider that paying Chillz 7 million, plus the MLE at 5.8 (I think that's the number), plus the LLE of 1.5 (?) that's 14.3 million. Without Chillz we will only be spending 7.3 million so that's a 7 million dollar savings to help keep us under the luxury tax.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Two things about him: He's got a conventional shot that he can actually get off . . . . big improvement over Chill's funky shot and

He's stronger and can finish inside better. Love it.

Well, I never thought that Chillz shot was a hinderance. There have been many players with unconventional "ugly" shots that learned to play strongly with it:

Shawn Marion, Reggie Miller, Milt Palacio and Kevin Martin comes to mind.

Well for one we no longer have to hear about how Childress cherry picks and forces Smoove to play on the perimeter! Now we'll see if that was actually true or if Smoove just wants to go out there on his own ... but theoretically speaking if he does keep his butt in the paint while Evans is in the game playing the Childress role then that should help to balance out our offense a heck of a lot better. At worst our defense should remain the same but I believe he will make us a little tougher and a little more frustrating. I don't expect him to make a huge impact on the game alone but I really think he can help make the others a little better.

Quote:

Quote:

Two things about him: He's got a conventional shot that he can actually get off . . . . big improvement over Chill's funky shot and

He's stronger and can finish inside better. Love it.

Well, I never thought that Chillz shot was a hinderance. There have been many players with unconventional "ugly" shots that learned to play strongly with it:

Shawn Marion, Reggie Miller, Milt Palacio and Kevin Martin comes to mind.

Chilldress could never get his shot off with a guy in his face which is why he only shot wide open 3's and layups.

Quote:

Well for one we no longer have to hear about how Childress cherry picks and forces Smoove to play on the perimeter! Now we'll see if that was actually true or if Smoove just wants to go out there on his own ... but theoretically speaking if he does keep his butt in the paint while Evans is in the game playing the Childress role then that should help to balance out our offense a heck of a lot better. At worst our defense should remain the same but I believe he will make us a little tougher and a little more frustrating. I don't expect him to make a huge impact on the game alone but I really think he can help make the others a little better.

true that..

• Premium Member

Hawks was = 51.747 Million.

Salary Cap = 58.6 Million.

LCT = 71.15 Million.

MLE = $5.585 million

So now.. we have the correct numbers in front of us.

We were exactly 19.403 Million away from the LCT.

We were exactly 6.853 Million from the cap (but that doesn't matter with cap holds)

So if we subtract 10.5 Million (Smoove) and 5 Million (Chillz) from the 19.403 = 3.903.

That's how much we would have had to spend with Smoove & Chillz signed to good deals.

Moreover, Chillz = Value.

So we traded Smoove to save: 1.682 Million dollars?

Good One Dol!

• Premium Member

1.682 Million.

We could have spent 1.682 Million, gone over the cap and the owners would have had to match...

So not signing chill saved about 3.3 Million dollars total. That's if they end up using the whole MLE.

Something tells me that they won't.

Quote:

So if we subtract 10.5 Million (Smoove) and 5 Million (Chillz) from the 19.403 = 3.903.

Where are you getting those numbers from?? Smoove will likely cost at least 11, maybe 12 million and the comparison in this thread was about paying Chillz 7 million like he wanted.

So you are probably about 3 million off, depending on what we end up paying Smoove.

Quote:

We could have spent 1.682 Million, gone over the cap and the owners would have had to match...

So not signing chill saved about 3.3 Million dollars total. That's if they end up using the whole MLE.

Something tells me that they won't.

So you are agreeing that if we had signed Chillz, used our MLE and LLE exceptions that we would have been over the luxury tax, right?

Then you would also certainly have to agree that by not giving Chillz 6-7 million that we will be UNDER the luxury tax, and thereby saving the owners a good bit of money, right?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Where are you getting those numbers from?? Smoove will likely cost at least 11, maybe 12 million and the comparison in this thread was about paying Chillz 7 million like he wanted.

So you are probably about 3 million off, depending on what we end up paying Smoove.

I'm talking about starting salaries. With raises, a 12 Million dollar average starts at 10.5 Million this yr.

Could we still afford a vet, like Michael Finley, and a cheap big, ala Randolph Morris ?

Either way, I like the pick-up. I also like the idea of starting him a SG, and moving Joe to SF. I'm no Marvin hater or anything, but Marvin might be more valuable to our team (right now) coming off the bench and providing some much needed scoring.

Quote:

StAtl, don't forget the guy apparently started ALL the playoffs games this year, so he knows how to start, plus Marvin is suspended for game 1.

I am INCREDIBLY excited we got a quality role player for so cheap!!!!

BYE BYE CHILLZ. ENJOY YOUR INFLATED CONTRACT

I am sure he will.

• Premium Member

First, let's see if we use the whole MLE. We know that the Evans signing was a Knee Jerk.

Second let's see what we give Smoove (if we can sign him at all). My take was that he's worth 12 per year. They've only offer 9.5 Million per year (slap in the face).

Third, You don't throw away value like that.

Childress was willing to sign a 5 Million 33 Million dollar deal. That starts at about 5.5 Million. That means that we could have signed him to that deal and other teams would have been willing to give their right arm to get a 5 year signed Chillz signed that Cheaply. Instead, the "good Businessmen" saved about 3 Million and in the process lost out on the opportunity to get something substantial to help the team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

But you are still assuming that we can get him for a starting salary of 10.5, which I'm skeptical, although hopeful, about.

No...

With raises this is the breakdown of a 5 year 60.5 Million dollar deal:

Yr 1 = 10

Yr 2 = 11.05

Yr 3 = 12.1

Yr 4 = 13.15

Yr 5 = 14.2

It actually starts at 10 Million in the first year. That makes it that much worse.