• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin hurt in win

DrReality

Marvin Williams hurt in Hawks preseason win

Woodson shifts to bigger lineup, sparks 2nd-half rally

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Monday, October 13, 2008

Hawks coach Mike Woodson mentioned in passing this summer that he might tinker with his lineup and “play big” if it fit his team’s needs.

The need arose Monday night at Philips Arena when starting small forward Marvin Williams sprained his left thumb in the first quarter of the Hawks’ preseason home opener against Charlotte.

Acie Law fends off Charlotte’s Gerald Wallace on the way to the basket.BY THE NUMBERS

• Box score • Standings

RELATED STORIES

Law's dunk with 4.5 seconds left lifts Hawks

Williams finished the half but didn’t play after halftime, forcing Woodson to come up with something that could shake his team up after a lackluster first-half effort.

So he went with Zaza Pachulia at center — with Al Horford shifting over from center to power forward and Josh Smith from power forward to small forward — and watched his team wake up from that first-half slumber within the first few seconds of the third quarter.

The Hawks instantly became a better rebounding frontline and a more aggressive and active team inside on the offensive end. They went from trailing by seven at halftime to leading by as many five points late in the third quarter, eventually winning the game 88-87, courtesy of Acie Law IV’s driving layup with 4.6 seconds to play.

“The big key is that a big body like Zaza frees both Josh and myself up a lot more and when we do that Josh is able to get out on the break and run the break,” Horford said after making a game-saving block of a Gerald Wallace layup at the buzzer to seal the win. “It’s just a big advantage for us because either me or Zaza can get the rebound and push it up the floor and have our best finisher out there on the wing running. Josh is a big mismatch for a lot of teams and we need to take advantage of that as much as we can.”

Depending on how long Williams is sidelined, it’s a lineup the Hawks may have to lean on with the start of the regular season, Oct. 29 in Orlando, just around the corner.

In fact, they may be forced to use it for that game against the Magic, a game Williams is suspended for as penalty for the flagrant foul he put on Rajon Rondo in Game 7 of the Hawks’ playoff series in May against Boston.

“I experimented with it because we might have to play big,” Woodson said. “I’m just tinkering with it now just to see. But we played a few games with it down the stretch last season. And I thought it was pretty good to start the third quarter. We kind of plugged it up defensively and rebounded the ball and it get it out and get a few fast break points that kind of got us going.”

The change certainly energized members of the Hawks’ bench, namely Pachulia and reserve guard Flip Murray, who put on a clinic during one second-half stretch with Bobcats rookie guard D.J. Augustin on the receiving end of the instruction.

Pachulia finished with 11 points and seven rebounds, Murray with nine points, four assists and two steals and Mo Evans 12 points, two assists and a steal.

“I don’t know what it was but it worked out for us,” said Law, who joined Joe Johnson (team-high 17 points) and Smith (16 points, four rebounds and two blocks) as starters to score in double figures. “Coach wanted a different look and [smith] is so versatile. You can use him in so many different ways, and that matchup

I hope Marvin is back and 100% in a few days.

Anyways does this open up the opportunity to make Zaza a starter. It may be a reach but Morris or Solo? I would like to see how Zaza or one of the other two guys perform starting the C position with the next few pre-season games. Maybe Marvin would be more comfortable in a 6-man role like he was in UNC.

Eh...we've got over 2 weeks until the start of the regular season. Marvin may miss a few preseason games, but if it's just a sprain, he should be good to go. (And his tackle of Rondo even got him a couple of extra days rest...)

With Marvin out for the season opener @ Orlando, sticking Zaza in the starting lineup just to piss off Howard makes sense.

I hope Marvin is back and 100% in a few days.

Anyways does this open up the opportunity to make Zaza a starter. It may be a reach but Morris or Solo? I would like to see how Zaza or one of the other two guys perform starting the C position with the next few pre-season games. Maybe Marvin would be more comfortable in a 6-man role like he was in UNC.

Not to hate on Marvin....but it will be interesting to watch the bigger lineup.

I went to the game tonight. It was a lot of fun. I know it's just preseason, but AC is looking very confident. He's no longer anxious to pass the ball, and is now looking to score. The desire to score the game-winning shot (even though it's only preseason) is a very comforting thing to see from him. Flip started out very cold, but he kicked in down the stretch. Joe started out hot, and I don't think he'll be in a slump this season. Josh looked like Josh. He tried to force a pass or two he shouldn't have. His post moves have increased slightly, and he had a nice spin move on one of Charlotte's big men with a nice layup. He also had the most outrageous reverse dunk off an alley-oop from Murray. Josh missed a lot of FTs, and that's something he has to improve on more than anything. Al was having a tough time as the only big body in the game. I really agree bringing in ZaZa improves our defense (:lol6:) and rebounding. If that line-up can have some success (meaning ZaZa averaging like 8/8), then we will have a very monstrous bench.

In a lot of games, he should get some minutes at SF. He still doesn't have his ball handling down pat, but he's good enough to play SF. If it doesn't work, put Marvin back in. We will need to go big in a lot of games this upcoming season, so we should be prepared.

The thought of Zaza starting gets me nervous. He doesn't have the skills for anything other than spot duty.

Is Zaza still our #1 sub at the Center position this year? Aren't we going to give some other guys a shot at it?

Zaza doesn't seem to have a lot of upside.

Edited by JackB1

In 23 minutes Zaza had 6 turnovers, i don't think i can watch that all season long. He can foul out in 23 minutes, but 6 TO in that many minutes is remarkable.I know it's just preseason, but why does big Z force it so much? He would be much better player if he would rebound and play defense instead of 5 TO nights and 2-10 from the field. He just hurts the team when he does this.

I went to the game tonight. It was a lot of fun. I know it's just preseason, but AC is looking very confident. He's no longer anxious to pass the ball, and is now looking to score. The desire to score the game-winning shot (even though it's only preseason) is a very comforting thing to see from him. Flip started out very cold, but he kicked in down the stretch. Joe started out hot, and I don't think he'll be in a slump this season. Josh looked like Josh. He tried to force a pass or two he shouldn't have. His post moves have increased slightly, and he had a nice spin move on one of Charlotte's big men with a nice layup. He also had the most outrageous reverse dunk off an alley-oop from Murray. Josh missed a lot of FTs, and that's something he has to improve on more than anything. Al was having a tough time as the only big body in the game. I really agree bringing in ZaZa improves our defense (:lol6:) and rebounding. If that line-up can have some success (meaning ZaZa averaging like 8/8), then we will have a very monstrous bench.

Good to hear. I like seeing him play with the lineups, especially preseason. Having the two new guys come off the

bench as scores gives us more options.

How did Solo look?

• Moderators

questions about the game

-solo had some rebounds and a steal. did he look ok.

-zaza had a lot of turnovers but other than that was he productive?

-i guess we aren't going to see any of Gardner or morris?

-Flip seems like a great guy to spell JJ without losing our offensive entirely

-Adam Morrison hurt? or is he just bad?

Looks like we'll have a 9 man rotation which will fall to 8 or less if someone gets hurt. I'm guessing Mario and Solo won't see more than seconds of action once the season starts so we'll be looking at:

Bibby/jj/marv/smoove/horf + Acie/flip/evans/zaza.

Which is good unless we have injuries. To me the key is Acie. With him we back up every position with quality guys.

I heard Speedy returns to practice this week.

In 23 minutes Zaza had 6 turnovers, i don't think i can watch that all season long. He can foul out in 23 minutes, but 6 TO in that many minutes is remarkable.I know it's just preseason, but why does big Z force it so much? He would be much better player if he would rebound and play defense instead of 5 TO nights and 2-10 from the field. He just hurts the team when he does this.

Because he can't... the only thing he's good at is being a veteran (that's good enough for Woody), get some offensive rebounds and flop to get to the line.

Do you think Zaza should start after yesterday's performance? It gives them more of a size advantage. I don't understand why they start Marvin. Is it just to appease him? Who cares he was drafted 2nd overall? Are they still trying to reconcile the mistake? As for draft position and the bench, Childress was drafted what 6th and he came off the bench and was often on the floor to finish games.

Zaza starting puts everyone back into their natural positions including Marvin.

2nd unit could be even stronger

Law

Murray

Evans

Williams

Jones

Woodson has to start Zaza opening night because of Marvins suspension. Woody makes lineups sound like rocket science when you here him talk. There has got to be something weird going on in the Hawks camp.

Do you think Zaza should start after yesterday's performance? It gives them more of a size advantage. I don't understand why they start Marvin. Is it just to appease him? Who cares he was drafted 2nd overall? Are they still trying to reconcile the mistake? As for draft position and the bench, Childress was drafted what 6th and he came off the bench and was often on the floor to finish games.

Zaza starting puts everyone back into their natural positions including Marvin.

2nd unit could be even stronger

Law

Murray

Evans

Williams

Jones

Woodson has to start Zaza opening night because of Marvins suspension. Woody makes lineups sound like rocket science when you here him talk. There has got to be something weird going on in the Hawks camp.

I agree. I like Zaza starting if Solo or Randy can effectively come in and give 10-12 minutes. Zaza starting makes us better. Zaza and Al will need to be better with fouls. The team suffers if both have foul problems or either in "first halves".

• Premium Member
yes, but there is one major flaw with your logic...

ZAZA IS OUR STARTING CENTER!

It doesn't have to be Zaza.

I think what Woody has to gauge is:

1. The strength of Horf and Smoove at PF and SF instead of being out of position. I think Horf made a strong case for why Smoove is better as a SF.

2. The ability of our other bigs at C. How effective will Solo and Morris be. What if Solo breaks out with more time?

So the C doesn't have to be Zaza. Hell, we may move Bibby for a C. We have to consider best lineups now so that when we move Bibs, we know what we're getting.