TskOoOo

From what I've read:

-JJ doesn't talk (we all know this)

-Bibby, while he may be the lockerroom clown, is quiet too

-Marvin is quiet

-Acie, according to Sekou, is quiet

-Horford is quiet

-Mo is probably average

So that leaves me thinking Smoove (not a leader) and Flip are the two only consistently vocal players. Do you guys think we have a vocal leader (is it Bibby?)

Also, what do you guys think the social groups are on the team?

Joe / Bibby / Mo / Flip

Smoove / Duck / Solo

Horf / Law / Mario / [ZaZa]

Othello / Gardner / Randy

^^my guess

From what I've read:

-JJ doesn't talk (we all know this)

-Bibby, while he may be the lockerroom clown, is quiet too

-Marvin is quiet

-Acie, according to Sekou, is quiet

-Horford is quiet

-Mo is probably average

So that leaves me thinking Smoove (not a leader) and Flip are the two only consistently vocal players. Do you guys think we have a vocal leader (is it Bibby?)

Also, what do you guys think the social groups are on the team?

Joe / Bibby / Mo / Flip

Smoove / Duck / Solo

Horf / Law / Mario / [ZaZa]

Othello / Gardner / Randy

^^my guess

How do we know Joe is quiet?

I think Joe just has a laid back demeanor, which makes his seem quiet, but his teammates say that he's actually not quiet. I really dont think Horford is quiet either.

Yeah, I was thinking this too. Seems like Horf would be very vocal if the on-court is indicative of the off-court.

Don't know if there necessarilly is one. I think its a big reason for Josh to stay consistently up and fiery because he is loud as hell when he's playing well and the team feeds off of the dunks/blocks/chest bumps he provides. So I guess he would be a good "energy" leader, but we could still use a type of leader that holds dudes accountable. The problem with that is, unless its just something you are born with (and have an insane bball IQ, like Billups), you generally have to be an elite player to be a great leader. Tim Duncan is always considered one of the best leaders in the game, he isn't quiet per se, but he doesn't always get in dudes' grills like KG... He's just the type of player that no one lets down.

Actually vocal leadership can be a big plus - and can intimidate the other team if the right guy is doing it.

Marvin talks but not often or loudly unless pushed; and then he glares as well. Smoove talks all the time. JJ talks contsantly on the bench as does Bibby. Horford is always talking but usually in a low mumbling way unless something really good happens.

Our starters all talk a lot; they just do not talk in a crazy lunatic fashion like Garnett or a cheeleader way like the "I am way to emotional and sissy like " Paul Peirce lol. If Peirce cries one more time because of a flopped injury I think I will puke; and the next time Garnett tries and bullies a pg, it would be awesome if the guy just decked his fronting *ss!

Edited by Buzzard

Horford doesn't talk much? Remember the playoffs last year?

Smith is very vocal but he doesn't seem like the leader type. His is more just emotional outbursts than anything.

I think Bibby is the main leader, I see him talking in players' ears all the time. Horford is up there as well and will definitely be a great leader as he gets older.

I think Acie would be a great one if he played more often and performed. The guy defined intensity in college and was the clear leader of that team.

But you're right, having a vocal leader who gets on players when they mess up and applauds when they succeed really brings teams together and keeps them on the same page. The teams are usually more consistent as well. But, it's hard to find players who are great at playing as well as motivating. Vocal leaders have to be able to back up their talk or players won't buy it.

• Premium Member

Do you really need all that talk? The hell with talk just do your job and everything will work itself out.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Actually vocal leadership can be a big plus - and can intimidate the other team if the right guy is doing it.

Very true. But everyone is missing the boat. The most important aspect of talking on the court is talking to your teammates. Most of our guys wear mouthpieces. You can't talk while you wear one. So, I don't know what you guys are seeing, but we don't really jaw as a team. I would like to see millionaires a little more concerned with communicating and winning, than keeping their grill straight.

Very true. But everyone is missing the boat. The most important aspect of talking on the court is talking to your teammates. Most of our guys wear mouthpieces. You can't talk while you wear one. So, I don't know what you guys are seeing, but we don't really jaw as a team. I would like to see millionaires a little more concerned with communicating and winning, than keeping their grill straight.

The mouthpiece isn't a big deal, LeBron wears one and is still one of the best leaders in the league. Walking up and down the court and during dead ball situations or timeouts, they can pull it out and talk if needed.

The real talking really needs to happen in the locker room, the practice court, and during time outs. That is when accountability occurs with your teammates.

While on the court, you need ONE guy to get everyone in place. Ala the QB with skill players, or the center with the line. Along with that, everyone on the court needs to recognize who that leader is and do what he says w/out question or hesitation.

Lastly, guys have to communicate when something breaks down or they see something, but that isn't leadership, its communication.

Our starters all talk a lot; they just do not talk in a crazy lunatic fashion like Garnett or a cheeleader way like the "I am way to emotional and sissy like " Paul Peirce lol. If Peirce cries one more time because of a flopped injury I think I will puke; and the next time Garnett tries and bullies a pg, it would be awesome if the guy just decked his fronting *ss!

Ya Pierce is the guy I least like in the NBA. He's such a crybaby and now Garnett is becoming the same way and I liked him back in the day now he's just as bad as Pierce.

Very true. But everyone is missing the boat. The most important aspect of talking on the court is talking to your teammates. Most of our guys wear mouthpieces. You can't talk while you wear one. So, I don't know what you guys are seeing,...

Actually you can easily. As a guy who has bought many a mouthpiece - the ones I buy for my son (who is Capt. of the Walton Rugby team) is vented and you can talk through it (plus at any break in the action you take it out)....communication on the field is vital in rugby....maybe not so much in basketball....maybe moreso in practice and timeouts and such.

• Premium Member

I heard Speedy was the biggest talker...

Here are some quotes:

"“I can't play, but it's ok, it's my fault, we're just not producing. I can't get on the court for them, they have to get it done, there's nothing that I can do for them. Coaching is done in practice. Plays just don't matter when it comes to game time if your players cannot complete them and I can not draw them up. Why should a team trust in me when I cannot play?”

“Basketball teams, after the perfunctory lay-up drill, fall into the crowded isolation and personal style of 10 city kids shooting at the same basket or playing one-on-one.”

His quote from last night's game.

"It was like they’ve been playing all season. They have a tough defense, they dig inside. They are just a tough defensive team. They’ve got some big guys inside and they do a good job, especially at home.”

“I knew I was dog meat. Luckily, I'm the high-priced dog meat that everybody wants. I'm the good-quality dog meat. I'm the Alpo of the NBA.”

“These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it.”

“I came to the realization a couple months ago that I am fat. If you get tired from walking - and that's all that golf is - then you are officially fat.”