• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith's on-court pouting, inconsistency may give Jay Bilas last laugh

HAWKS1986

Josh Smith's season of on-court frustration, internal feuding and pouting has stunted his growth as a player, and I really don't know if it's reversible after four years in the NBA. He's young, but he is an old 23 and may be set in his ways. His feuds with Woodson are well-documented, but after teasing fans with his high flying skills and showing off his ability to change a game defensively has waned. I admit he was injured several months ago, but Smoove's overall game has taken a downward turn and his on-court attitude has taken a nose dive as well.

With Tim Duncan out vs. the Spurs, this was a prime opportunity to show off his athleticism against the likes of an aging Kurt Thomas, slow-footed Matt Bonner and 36 year old Michael Finley. However, the professional, focused Spurs was able to contain Smith and Smith also contained himself by missing five FTs and missing nine shots in only twelve attempts.

I miss the old Josh who change a game. Maybe it's the contract. Maybe outside forces(personal). Whatever it is, it seems Josh's game has met the law of diminishing returns.

If the Hawks can get BLAKE GRIFFIN from Oklahoma, I would endorse that move. Griffin brings a more complete skillset offensively and defensively and you don't have to worry about him flying off the handle and fighting with the coaches.

I am not a fan of Jay Bilas and he said Josh would be a bust and Bilas said that in front of him in New York on the day he was drafted. Josh had used that as motivation, but his lack of basketball maturity on the court has taken a considerable hit and its affecting every aspect of his game ranging from taken bad shots from 22 feet to missing half his free throws (among the worst in the league).

Maybe its time for the Hawks to re-evaluate Smoove's role on this team, because his on-court pouting and inconsistent play is draining the life out of his potential and making Jay Bilas' 2004 draft night prediction have more credibility.

We need a strong coach. We need a strong GM to sit Smoove down tell him what is role is and if he doesnt want to play his role and put up numbers that we will move him. Smoove is almost like a T.O without the numbers to back his talk up.

It is too late for Jay Bilas to have the last laugh. Josh Smith has already proven him wrong by becoming a productive NBA player on a playoff basketball team. Josh Smith is a frustrating player to watch who still has a ways to go in understanding his limitations, but even at an "old 23" there is still plenty of room to grow.

• Premium Member
It is too late for Jay Bilas to have the last laugh. Josh Smith has already proven him wrong by becoming a productive NBA player on a playoff basketball team. Josh Smith is a frustrating player to watch who still has a ways to go in understanding his limitations, but even at an "old 23" there is still plenty of room to grow.

Thankyou Troubleman. We lose a game to one of the best teams of the decade and the whole board goes insane.

Thankyou Troubleman. We lose a game to one of the best teams of the decade and the whole board goes insane.

It's not about just one game, or a few games. It's been a disturbing pattern with Josh. It's one thing to show emotional, but to lose your focus completely during the game to the point you make yourself useless for your team is another. Last night it was the Spurs, but there have been other games Josh has been a total non-factor defensively and at the free-throw line. Then add in the on-court antics with the refs while the opposing team sprints down the court in a 4 on 5 situation and scores-- which happened recently at Cleveland.

• Moderators

I agree 100%. Even if Josh never had a productive game in the rest of his career, Bilas would already be wrong.

That said, these are real issues capping Josh's impact and we need someone who can reach him and continue his development next year.

I agree 100%. Even if Josh never had a productive game in the rest of his career, Bilas would already be wrong.

That said, these are real issues capping Josh's impact and we need someone who can reach him and continue his development next year.

He needs a coach to get him to understand his strengths and coach them up. But more importantly, a coach needs to get him to understand that he's not a do everything type player... atleast not yet. Then that coach needs to work on his fundamentals like he was training him to be a shao-lin monk.

• Premium Member
He needs a coach to get him to understand his strengths and coach them up. But more importantly, a coach needs to get him to understand that he's not a do everything type player... atleast not yet. Then that coach needs to work on his fundamentals like he was training him to be a shao-lin monk.

I think Josh gets in his own way. If I'm coaching him, first thing I'm telling him is that he's prohibited from touching the ball other than for rebounds, dunks or put-backs.

Josh has an attitude problem. We have all witnessed this. And, that is what

is causing the problem, I believe.

We have to wonder about his IQ. We know he has exceptional athletic skills.

We can listen to him in interviews. We know he's not stupid. Yet, some of the

stuff he does we have to wonder. Is it all attitude or is it his IQ?

This season, and before this season, to some extent, he has been a prime example

of "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." He seems

to rely too heavily on his great skills and not enough on his brain.

He ain't stupid. He ain't a genius either.

I only have two faults in Josh's game. 1. Free throw shooting. You simply can't be a 50% shooter. Otherwise, you're even more limited in your offensive effectiveness. Bend your knees a little, put the ball in front of your head so you can actually watch the ball as it leaves your hands instead of shooting it from behind your ear. 2. Quit whining every time you don't get a call. On rare occassions, yeah make your point. But don't leave your teammates out to dry because you won't get back on the other end of the court.

Josh Smith would have to play the Spurs every game for Bilas to be right.

That's the one team that makes Josh Smith play like the NBA bust that Bilas thought he would be.

And even still with the help Josh Smith gives defensively he still exceeds what Bilas said of him. Ridiculous post but I expect nothing different from OP

• Moderators

Smith was not this bad of FT shooter last year. I don't know why they keep touting Mark Price when we've become a terrible FT shooting team. I really think Josh has too much arc on the ball but hey leave it to the experts.

I also don't understand an offense where our PF and C are both at the top of the arc. Josh needs to be near the basket. Its just one game against a great team with a PG that we have no answer for. Josh will be back. Trust me come playoff time you'll be singing his praises.

Josh Smith would have to play the Spurs every game for Bilas to be right.

That's the one team that makes Josh Smith play like the NBA bust that Bilas thought he would be.

And even still with the help Josh Smith gives defensively he still exceeds what Bilas said of him. Ridiculous post but I expect nothing different from OP

Exactly. He had a bad game vs. a good team. Smoove has areas to improve, everyone does. Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, and Al Horford are the Hawks. As fans we have to understand it's reality. The francise must not be too concerned with him, or we wouldn't have paid him the hefty contract. It's easy to critique him on bad nights...and it's easy not to praise him when he plays well, apparently.

Kobe, Duncan, Gasol, Garnett, Pierce, Carmelo, Iverson, LeBron, Amare, Gilbert, Deron, Paul are all constantly complaining to officials as well. That's not exactly something that's holding him back.

I agree that he could play better, but that's not a reason for it IMO. He needs a coach that will tell him what to do and what not to do. After Woodson's "I'm not going to tell Smith to stop shooting threes" comment, it's pretty obvious what the problem is. He has no discipline. We just need a new coach, as we have for the last three years.

Good post. I wonder how many times Bilass has mentioned JS these several past years. The iso plays that every player "utilizes" doesn't compliment everyone except for joe and flip to an extent. Smith played arguably the best PF in his generation neck to neck in the playoffs last year. If his inconsistent play and effort is still showing in the playoffs, than there is really time for concern.

Well said. Dude needs to grow up. But I also think that Woody's demeanor in a subtle way does not help but contributes to his behavior.