Story: Josh Smith: So Good So Bad

JackB1

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-39-1...----So-Bad.html

The most commonly used characteristic to describe the Atlanta Hawks is athletic. It used to be young, but the gritty seven-game series last April against Boston put that to rest. When people portray athleticism as the Hawks' great attribute, they're really talking about Josh Smith, the team's power forward.

For Hawks fans, harnessing the freakishness of Josh Smith has become something of a holy grail. When Smith's vast potential is finally sculpted into a refined player, that's the moment the Hawks will become a legitimate NBA contender. On certain nights, Smith flashes glimpses of that finished product, and it looks fantastic. When he's patient and engaged, Smith leverages his explosiveness as a tool against slower defenders -- a group that basically includes the other 29 guys who play the power forward position. ...

more:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-39-1...----So-Bad.html

• Premium Member

Most frustrating player in the NBA.

I completely agree that he could be a top10 player, but I also feel that if things don't click SOON, he could be a major deterrent in the Hawks' growth.

I don't want to be Rick Sund this summer, that's for sure.

I agree. It's an excellent article, because it uses facts to show a fair opinion of the good and bad about Josh Smith. I like the shot breakdown too, because it's reminiscent to what I did with Marvin about a year and a half ago, when people were complaining about him. So I did about 2 or 3 extensive breakdowns of games following ONLY what Marvin did.

I've always compared Smoove to Michael Vick. Athletically, there's no one close to him. But mentally, there always seemed to be something missing. But both were/are exciting to watch, so their particular fan bases would either give them a pass for how they played . . . or tend to be highly critical of them, because their sports IQ would always get in the way from them reaching the next level as a player.

A lot of basketball people believed that Rasheed Wallace and Derrick Coleman could've been much better basketball players, if not for their unwillingness to play to the strength of their game.

That's why I keep saying that Smoove wants to be the next Rasheed Wallace.

But he shows flashes of how great he could be, especially with that blow-by dunk he had when he went strong to the hole.

I'm a Bengals fan, so Smoove to me, is also comparable to Chad Johnson. All the talent in the world, but immature as hell, which takes away from how great he could be. It's frustrating as hell . . but you still gotta love him. Just wish the light would come on.

I don't think the light is going to come on with Smith. I think that the only way he will reach his potential is if the Hawks get a coach who doesn't allow Smith to play like an idiot.

Agree. the only punishment that will work with Smoove is to sit him down when he "misbehaves".

Woodson is too afraid to do that most of the time.

Even with all that though, recognize the fact that he already brings a lot to the table, the Heat's beat writer Ira Winderman puts it best:

All credit to Atlanta: It played the kind of game again that beats the Heat. It played through an injury to Al Horford. And it's Smith, not Wade, who has become the dominant force in the playoffs, for his if only by his inside defensive presence alone.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketb...,1438247.column

Can Josh be a lot better than he is now? Definitely. Should he be? Yep. Is he already a game-changer for this tea? Of course.

Most frustrating player in the NBA.

I completely agree that he could be a top10 player, but I also feel that if things don't click SOON, he could be a major deterrent in the Hawks' growth.

I don't want to be Rick Sund this summer, that's for sure.

Josh's game was good last night. The only thing holding it back from being in the realm of great were all the perimeter shot attempts......and the between the legs dunk attempt.

There has to be a united front when confronting Josh Smith this summer about his maturity and decision making. He will get it if every one tells him the same thing.

1. Stop all the perimeter shots

2. Stop complaining to the refs so much

We know Woody preaches these things. Their run-ins with each other are well documented. Woody needs to put his foot down even more. We have seen Bibby tell Josh, repeatedly, to leave the refs alone and just play. We have heard JJ's comments, after certain games, where he calls Josh's game out without naming him by name.

The vets, JJ, Bibby, and Flip need to talk to him.

Rick Sund needs to have a talk with him.

Dominque needs to have a talk with him and not support his perimeter shooting

Have Steve Smith have a talk with him

Try to get Josh's dad on the same page.........hopefully he is not part of the problem.

His meetings with Mark Price should be cancelled if it makes him feel like he is a perimeter shooter.

All the assistants need to tell him the same thing. We don't need one assistant stroking his ego. If one of our assistants shields Josh and strokes his ego he needs to get out of here.

Point being it can't just be the coach alone giving this message. He is too thick headed.

Edited by coachx

I don't think the light is going to come on with Smith. I think that the only way he will reach his potential is if the Hawks get a coach who doesn't allow Smith to play like an idiot.

I agree that I don't think the light is going to come on. As a fifth year player, that should have happened by now. Between Horford, Marvin, and Smoove we have 3 talented forwards, all about the same age, and Josh is the only one who doesn't seem to be improving (although he undoubtedly has the most raw athletic ability).

• Premium Member

I would be fine with Smith with a "few" exceptions:

1. Box out. He should be a MUCH better rebounder than he is.

2. No shots outside of 5 feet unless it's a three pointer AND there's less than 5 seconds on the clock. (5 or 5, easy to remember).

3. Stop complaining about fouls.

4. Slow down with the ball in your hands.

5. Use your shotblocking only when necessary. Do NOT rely on it as your first mode of defense. (The threat of a shotblocker is just as good as the actual work).

It's certainly NOT a question of skill. He's the most talented player on the team.

I would be fine with Smith with a "few" exceptions:

1. Box out. He should be a MUCH better rebounder than he is.

2. No shots outside of 5 feet unless it's a three pointer AND there's less than 5 seconds on the clock. (5 or 5, easy to remember).

3. Stop complaining about fouls.

4. Slow down with the ball in your hands.

5. Use your shotblocking only when necessary. Do NOT rely on it as your first mode of defense. (The threat of a shotblocker is just as good as the actual work).

It's certainly NOT a question of skill. He's the most talented player on the team.

Agreed, although he seems to be better about 5 than in the past.

This was a pretty damn accurate article. Great reading. He definitely hit the nail on the head when he said that Josh Smith should do what Dikembe said and "Do what you do best." Driving to the ball, playing in the paint, and basically scaring the hell out of the opposing post players is what Josh does best. Shooting 3s, trying to be a perimeter player, trying to play a guard's game at times, and of course, doing stupid stuff like that botched dunk is not his best. That's why we all get frustrated with this guy, because it seems that the only person that is keeping Smoove from being potentially great is Smoove himself.

Also, I just thought this was funny:

that team is full of immature dou.che.bags but al horford is the worst...cocky pr1ck thinks he earned respect cuz of his time at florida

Coming from a fan who roots for a team(s) that is the EPITOME of douchebag, that is HILARIOUS.

• Premium Member
Something that nobody here has given Smith credit for after last night's game...

Those fast break bounce passes!

Oh my lord those were pretty. It is the happiest i've been with Smith running the court with the ball.

Your post doesn't belong in this thread Colin. You're actually giving Smoove credit for something rather than making him seem like a liability. BTW, are we talking about Josh Smith? The guy who had 20/8/4/2 last night with NO turnovers? The same guy who's leading our team in scoring for the Playoffs? The guy we should consider trading in the offseason if he doesn't "shape up" or play to your standards? What the heck is happening to this message board guys?

• Premium Member

Josh Smith has been hands down our best player this postseason (I would vote for Zaza for second best).

I don't mind his dunk attempt. He is a Slam Dunk champion who got caught up in the moment, trying to give the fans something to go insane about... After watching 10 years of 30 win basketball, I personally savor every little moment and highlight that this team can give us. If that dunk goes in the only people trashing him would be Dwyane Wade and his boyfriend Erik Spoelstra

Your post doesn't belong in this thread Colin. You're actually giving Smoove credit for something rather than making him seem like a liability. BTW, are we talking about Josh Smith? The guy who had 20/8/4/2 last night with NO turnovers? The same guy who's leading our team in scoring for the Playoffs? The guy we should consider trading in the offseason if he doesn't "shape up" or play to your standards? What the heck is happening to this message board guys?

Again, Josh was good last night. Why settle for good when you have the ability to be great ?

Joe Johnson does not have the same ability that Smith has. No one on the Hawks roster has as much potenital as Josh Smith. We just want him to live up to it.

Again, Josh was good last night. Why settle for good when you have the ability to be great ?

Joe Johnson does not have the same ability that Smith has. No one on the Hawks roster has as much potenital as Josh Smith. We just want him to live up to it.

Tell that to Woody and incorporate more plays for JS. More pick and rolls and lobs would be a good start.

Some of the board members here will never like JS no matter what. Some of it has to do with the "Marvin William Effect".