• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Super Tuesday

pimp

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/07/07/supe...fid=blogs_hawks

Hawks Blog

Super Tuesday

7:00 am July 7, 2009, by Sekou Smith

The Hawks are the midst of trying to negotiate deals for both Marvin Williams (left) and Zaza Pachulia (center), two key free agents needed to help the Hawks keep pace in the constantly improving (and I mean by the day) Eastern Conference.

HAWKSVILLE - NBA free agents can put pen to paper Wednesday, consummating deals that have been in the works for days (and perhaps even longer for some).

The heavy lifting for the Hawks, however, comes a day early.

Hawks general manager Rick Sund is on his way to Washington D.C., where he will sit down with the representatives for three of the Hawks’ key free agents (Marvin Williams, Zaza Pachulia and Josh Childress) to hammer out the details of at least a couple of potential deals.

With Mike Bibby’s new deal needing only signatures, the Hawks can devote all the attention and resources necessary to the aforementioned players, and yes, that includes Childress (whose saga might not play out until after the July 15 deadline he has to either opt out of his contract with Olympiakos to return home and to the NBA. David Andersen, another player on the Hawks’ shopping list, has the same clause in his Spanish contract).

Folks keep asking what’s the latest on (All THE HAWKS’ SUMMER TARGETS)? So here’s a rundown, early on a day I’m dubbing Super Tuesday, of where things stand with the key players (and for a sobering look at just how crazy free agency is working this summer, check out this dagger from ESPN Insider and Alpharetta’s own John Hollinger):

MARVIN WILLIAMS: Using Charlie Villanueva’s deal in Detroit (5 years, $40 million-range) as your guide, things should get much easier to decipher in the curious case of Marvin Williams. With a qualifying offer of $7.5 million, we’re not talking about anything out of the ordinary her for a guy that’s proved to be a valuable starter the past three years. Finding another 6-9 starting small forward that fits the way he does on this team will not be easy, despite all of the suggestions around here to the contrary. Respected and prolific colleague Mark Bradley has suggested many times that if any of the Hawks’ remaining building blocks was expendable it was Marvin. But as I look across the free agent landscape, I cannot co-sign that theory. Not with the free agent moves/trades that have gone on in the Eastern Conference since draft night. Not with Hedo Turkoglu in Toronto now and Vince Carter in his old spot in Orlando. And not with Villanueva in Detroit and the addition of Rasheed Wallace in Boston. The length the Hawks used to their advantage across the frontline with Williams, Josh Smith and Al Horford is more critical than ever. Even in one of the many proposed sign-and-trade deals offered up around these parts, I don’t see the Hawks adding the piece that could take Marvin’s place on this roster (in fit, size and temperament … three crucial factors that Marvin brings that go largely unnoticed by the public). The Hawks have made clear their preference for Marvin to remain a part of the core of this team and I see no reason why that shouldn’t happen. I can’t see any scenario where he is not a part of this team in the future.

ZAZA PACHULIA: Much has been made in the past 72 hours about Zaza’s impending departure and his being replaced by Andersen, or a combination of players that includes the Australian big man. Slow down with that one. Sources tell me that while initially things didn’t look too good with the offer that was presented to him by the Hawks, the sides are working their way toward more agreeable terms (we’re talking slightly north of the $16 million over four years he signed for the last time he was a free agent but decidedly south of the $33 million over five years Marcin Gortat is expected to receive from Dallas). And in an Eastern Conference littered with bigs like Dwight Howard in Orlando, Shaquille O’Neal in Cleveland and now Wallace, Kevin Garnett and Kendrick Perkins in Boston (and that’s just on the teams that finished ahead of the Hawks in the standings last season), that’s a good thing. Because the Hawks can ill-afford to lose a player like Zaza. He’s the only real bruiser on the roster. He’ll set a hard pick and has shown he’s not afraid to mix it up with the likes of Garnett and Howard. And while I’m not heavy into the stats that seem to guide so many people’s opinions about players, I do believe that some numbers tell a far different story than what the heart and mind can. There were six regular season games and three playoff games during the 2008-2009 season where Zaza played 30-plus minutes. He averaged 9.8 points, 10.1 rebounds (and 4.1 offensive rebounds) in those games. That means when he was needed to play above and beyond his pay grade, Pachulia delivered.

JOSH CHILDRESS: Like Andersen, Childress would do better financially (at least in the next year or two) by returning to Greece for another season with Olympiakos. But if he’s intent on returning to the NBA this summer, and there are indications that he would indeed love to return, things could get tricky. Childress has already visited Milwaukee. And the Bucks could present him with an offer sheet and gamble that the Hawks might not match it (fat chance). The obvious solution for both sides would be a sign-and-trade deal (the starting salary for Childress wouldn’t even be the full mid-level of $5.6 million, though the total contract would be nearly $31 million over five years). The Bucks have all the necessary tools to make something like that happen. Whatever happens, the Hawks need to close the door on the Childress saga that began last summer during his first round of restricted free agency. His jersey number was given away last summer (to Mo Evans) in a way that should have signaled the end of his time with the Hawks to all of us. I know I’ve spent much of the last year plotting hypothetical scenarios in which he could return to the Hawks. I realize now, finally, it’s just not going to happen. So if there is any way to salvage a player (Bruce Bowen has been mentioned) and a possible second-round draft pick out of the deal, the Hawks could finally walk away from the entire mess with some measure of satisfaction.

Resolve two of the three issues above by July 15 and the Hawks will have made some serious headway into a summer that’s long from over. The roster still needs filling out. And that might not come until much later in the summer and possibly even training camp, where a hungry free agent pickup like Mario West won roster spots in each of the past two camps.

The Hawks will still have the resources to chase down another big man (or possibly two) to fill out the rotation, which is still in need of fortification. But the heavy lifting starts today in D.C.

Edited by pimp

• Premium Member

Everything starting to fall in place guys. Looks like Z will walk away with 4/16 and Bibby should get more than that and less than J-Kidd's money. . Anyway I'm happy to see Sund working on the loose ends at this point. Now all he needs to do is bring The Big Aussie to the Atl and I'm labeling this offseason a success.

And if he could somehow bring Afro Man back home then I would have to consider this one of the best offseasons in a while.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

And where would Bowen get his minutes behind MW, Mo, JJ and Craw? Plus he's 38, and makes $4M. Unless he comes with a lottery pick, no way.

chillz/mo for bowen/draft pick? i don't like bowen on a personal level, but he would definately be someone the team could use (particularly with the growing defensive liability in the backcourt). if he's gonna be on the court, better to have him on your side than the other. i never cared much for mo's game, either. he seems like a placeholder to me-doesn't do anything to hurt you too much, but doesn't do anything that makes you better, either.

good signing on bibby. 3 years is perfect, 6 a year isn't bad. if teague impresses enough in the next two seasons, bibby would be easy enough to move as an expiring contract.

zaza prolly getting around 4/20 i would guess. if andersen was also signed at around 3/year, and marvin gets 8/year, i wonder how much $$ would be left for the bench? or if there is even enough space under the luxury threshold to get those deals signed?

• Premium Member
Am i the only one surprised that Zaza is only getting a SLIGHT raise?

I was sure that he was going to get 5.5-6 a year.

I think you have to factor in how long a guy has been playing at a high level. Other than a couple games in the playoff Z was rather mediocre in '07-08. Now he did step up in '08-09 but how much should you reward a guy for 1 year?

chillz/mo for bowen/draft pick? i don't like bowen on a personal level, but he would definately be someone the team could use (particularly with the growing defensive liability in the backcourt). if he's gonna be on the court, better to have him on your side than the other. i never cared much for mo's game, either. he seems like a placeholder to me-doesn't do anything to hurt you too much, but doesn't do anything that makes you better, either.

good signing on bibby. 3 years is perfect, 6 a year isn't bad. if teague impresses enough in the next two seasons, bibby would be easy enough to move as an expiring contract.

zaza prolly getting around 4/20 i would guess. if andersen was also signed at around 3/year, and marvin gets 8/year, i wonder how much $$ would be left for the bench? or if there is even enough space under the luxury threshold to get those deals signed?

Bowen was once one of the best defenders in the league. He can no longer help a team. Oh, and he doesn't have Tim Duncan to play along side anymore.

I think you have to factor in how long a guy has been playing at a high level. Other than a couple games in the playoff Z was rather mediocre in '07-08. Now he did step up in '08-09 but how much should you reward a guy for 1 year?

Look at it like this then. When Zaza was starting, age 21 and 22, he averaged more points than Horford did. True those teams were bad, and his shooting percentage was bad, but he took less, or the same amount of shots as Horford as well. Zaza was crap in 07-08, and even in the playoffs, he sucked besides a few moments.

But last year, he showed he was the best backup center in basketball for the most part. He was our most consistent player for most of the playoffs, and showed he is one of the best O-rebounders in the league. We signed him for 4/16 after he did nothing in Milwaukee, and now we are about to get him for the same contract?

Amazing.

Awesome article ! Sekou is kicking butt this week.

I have to say that I agree with him on all fronts.

I am so impressed with Sund:

1. Trades 2 assets that did not even play for Jamal Crawford (while keeping our pick)

2. Drafts Teague at #19 (most agree he was the best player available)

3. Brings Bibby back

4. Intends to bring ZaZa back

5. Intends to bring Marvin back

6. Trying to get something for Chillz (Bowen would add some veteran great depth)

7. Talking with David Andersen

I know the FA period is just beginning but could our off season be going any better ? (Considering are cap holds but us over the cap we could not go after other teams FA's any way except for our MLE but now it appears some of that MLE may go to Andersen)

• Premium Member

Bowen is a dirty player dude. He's ruffled more than a few feathers out West. The little 'tricks' he has in his defensive game have earned him his reputation.

• Premium Member
Look at it like this then. When Zaza was starting, age 21 and 22, he averaged more points than Horford did. True those teams were bad, and his shooting percentage was bad, but he took less, or the same amount of shots as Horford as well. Zaza was crap in 07-08, and even in the playoffs, he sucked besides a few moments.

But last year, he showed he was the best backup center in basketball for the most part. He was our most consistent player for most of the playoffs, and showed he is one of the best O-rebounders in the league. We signed him for 4/16 after he did nothing in Milwaukee, and now we are about to get him for the same contract?

Amazing.

Yeah I think Z's confidence was shot when Woody named Horford the starter. And I have to give dude props for fighting back. Actually I had him getting 5/25. If Bibby's getting $6 mill per then Z should get at least 4.5 ~ 5.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

There was some good info there, but reading into it, the Hawks could substantially have the best depth they've ever had. Let's say we simply re-sign all our FA's (except Flip and Gardner), S&T Chillz for Bruce Bowen and bring over David Andersen. Look at our 15 man roster

Bibby/Teague

Johnson/Crawford/Rio

Marvin/Mo/Bowen

Smoove/Andersen/Hunter/Solo

Horford/ZaZa/Morris

That's pretty good depth IMO. You'd have 11 guys who SHOULD get PT in Bibby, Teague, JJ, Crawford, Marvin, Mo, Bowen, Smoove, DA, Horf, and ZaZa. Other than PG, we'd have good depth at every position. I know technically Crawford can play PG so that helps a little. You've essentially done this.....

Replaced Flip with Crawford

Replaced Acie with Teague

Replaced Solo with David Andersen (even though Solo is still on the team in this scenario)

Replaced Chillz who was playing in Greece with Bowen

I think that's gotta' be considered a better team than last season's team. We play to the strengths of the team as well. JJ, Bibby, Crawford, Marvin, Mo, and even Bowen can all dial it up from deep. DA's range is supposed to be there for that as well. We don't really know how Teague's perimeter game will translate, but he was a great college scorer.

You've got good defenders which plays into Woody's style.

You've got penetrating guards who can get to the line. You've got vet guys, young guys, etc... I think it's good balance.

Bowen is a dirty player dude. He's ruffled more than a few feathers out West. The little 'tricks' he has in his defensive game have earned him his reputation.

He is the kind of guy you love when he is on your side but hate to play against.....like a Norcioni or our own West.

His presence and maturity in the locker room will be huge. He has seen how Coach Pop and Duncan carry themselves as well as many other NBA veterans. He should help the youngsters a ton with their mental approach to the game.

If he likes it in Atlanta he will let plenty of players know.

Atlanta is no longer a place will veterans go to die (K. Anderson, L. Wright, ) it has become a place where veterans go to thrive (Flip, Mo, Bibby, and hopefully many more down the road).

There was some good info there, but reading into it, the Hawks could substantially have the best depth they've ever had. Let's say we simply re-sign all our FA's (except Flip and Gardner), S&T Chillz for Bruce Bowen and bring over David Andersen. Look at our 15 man roster

Bibby/Teague

Johnson/Crawford/Rio

Marvin/Mo/Bowen

Smoove/Andersen/Hunter/Solo

Horford/ZaZa/Morris

That's pretty good depth IMO. You'd have 11 guys who SHOULD get PT in Bibby, Teague, JJ, Crawford, Marvin, Mo, Bowen, Smoove, DA, Horf, and ZaZa. Other than PG, we'd have good depth at every position. I know technically Crawford can play PG so that helps a little. You've essentially done this.....

Replaced Flip with Crawford

Replaced Acie with Teague

Replaced Solo with David Andersen (even though Solo is still on the team in this scenario)

Replaced Chillz who was playing in Greece with Bowen

I think that's gotta' be considered a better team than last season's team. We play to the strengths of the team as well. JJ, Bibby, Crawford, Marvin, Mo, and even Bowen can all dial it up from deep. DA's range is supposed to be there for that as well. We don't really know how Teague's perimeter game will translate, but he was a great college scorer.

You've got good defenders which plays into Woody's style.

You've got penetrating guards who can get to the line. You've got vet guys, young guys, etc... I think it's good balance.

I love it !

It will really test Woody to get the most out of this depth. There will some nights where matchups favor certain players over others............and it will be his job to push the right buttons. I hope he is up for it. This will be first time he has so many proven veterans to use off the bench so I will not hold the past against him since those bences of the past where no where near as good as what could come to fruition in Atlanta this year.

You've got penetrating guards who can get to the line.

I disagree with this part of your analysis. By losing Flip, we have only JJ who can penetrate and get into the lane. Alot of posters here take for granted Flip's ability to get into the lane and score, draw fouls, and kick out passes to others. Woody frequently put the ball in Flip's hands at the end of quarters at the top of the key to do just this. Bibby is either physically unable or afraid to penetrate into the lane and Crawford prefers jump shots. If Bibby and Crawford are Teague's mentors then he will also likely develop into a point guard unwilling to get into the paint. This may seem like a minor point but I think it could have a negative impact come game time.