JJ played 46 minutes this game

the_sheff

Are you serious? I thought Woody said he was gonna limit his minutes this year. Are we just gonna run him into the ground? Let Crawford get some of those minutes.

Its funny how Joe plays more minutes when he's off (first half) compared to the lakers game when he was on fire.

After what happened Sunday night, when Woody rested JJ in the Laker game, I don't think many people are going to be upset after JJ played 46 minutes tonight, and we get a win in one of the most hostile buildings in the league.

Or maybe they will.

No sense in enjoying a rare road win against a good team. Might as well bytch about JJ's minutes in the 4th game of the season, and blame Woody. I'm sure the "why didn't Teague play" thread is next.

The cycle continues.

After what happened Sunday night, when Woody rested JJ in the Laker game, I don't think many people are going to be upset after JJ played 46 minutes tonight, and we get a win in one of the most hostile buildings in the league.

Or maybe they will.

No sense in enjoying a rare road win against a good team. Might as well bytch about JJ's minutes in the 4th game of the season, and blame Woody. I'm sure the "why didn't Teague play" thread is next.

The cycle continues.

Not really mad about Joe's minutes bc it was a tight game and we needed him out there especially in the 2nd half when he heated up but...........I would have liked to see Teague get some minutes. Craw played great tonight so he should have gotten the minutes that he did but there has to be some point in the game where the kid can at least take his warm ups off.....I mean come on.

I would have liked to see Teague get some minutes as well...perhaps in place of Bibby. JJ did get a lot of rest against the Lakers (too much), but I still would have liked to see Teague get some minutes to spell one of either Bibby (who didnt have a good game overall) and JJ.

The answer is very simple, Brandon Roy played 41 minutes. Woody wanted no part again of what happened Sunday when he put Crawesome on Kobe and Kobe heated up not just shooting but also getting the rest of the team involved. Woody pretty much kept Joe on Roy and would play Crawesome on Blake or Outlaw. When Andre Miller was in with Rudy, Woody put Marvin on Miller and Crawesome on Rudy/Outlaw. You could tell Jamal was far more comfortable on both ends because he didn't have to take on the more physical assignment on defense. Blake is small and nonathletic, Rudy is the same size as Jamal and a finesse player and Outlaw prefers the jumper to working in the paint. This freed him up to do his thing on offense.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure we will see Teague play against sacramento and Crawford will probably play more minutes. We need someone to chase around Kevin Martin and Beno Udrich(sp). JJ shouldn't play more than 35minutes tonight.

Damn I had no idea it would only take ONE GAME for people to complain about JJ getting TOO MANY minutes after I said it would happen following the Lakers game when people complained that Woody didn't play him enough.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/340776-and-dont-any-of-you-dare-blame-woody/page__view__findpost__p__414726

Dolfan23 > Woody is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with JJ. If he keeps JJ in and rides the hot hand then JJ will no doubt end up playing a ton of minutes and even in a win we've shown in game 1 of this season as fans that we'll complain about it. Instead it appears that he took JJ out when it was time for him to get some rest and we complain about that too. This is what is the most frustrating part of this site is that it seems we'll never be satisfied with any decision that Woodson makes.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/340776-and-dont-any-of-you-dare-blame-woody/page__view__findpost__p__414790

High5 > You know damn well nobody would complain about Joe playing 40+ minutes if he willed us to a victory against a team like the Lakers. Woodson gets criticized more than he gets praised because his bad decisions over a season always outweigh his great decision, but he still gets plenty of credit on here when he does something smart. Unfortunately those moments are few and far between.

Maybe you can make the argument that the Blazers aren't a "team like the Lakers" but considering how they always seem to have our number and they're as good or better than us and we were playing on the road and on the west coast I'd say that was a pretty big game so IMO that qualifies as a "team like the Lakers".

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/340776-and-dont-any-of-you-dare-blame-woody/page__view__findpost__p__414793

Dolfan23 > Actually no, I know damn well that people would complain here about playing 40 minutes whether we won or not. That's what I've come to accept about this place, it's more comforting to the masses to bash a player coach than it is to praise the team.

• Moderators

I don't mind JJ's minutes in this game at all - although the lack of PT for Teague is not something I like to see. JJ needs rest against Sacramento tonight so hopefully that will be taken care of for both JJ and Teague.

Complaining about JJ's minutes in a game like yesterday is micromanaging a bit too much for me. Joe is averaging 38 minutes per game this season and with a lower workload tonight that should be down in a reasonable range of 36 or so which is just fine.

Teague needs a consistent, even if limited, role, though. Especially on a night when Bibby isn't playing particularly well.

Marvin needs to step it up already. He is too good to only take 4 shots and to get as few rebounds as he did after the first quarter.

It is also early but worth noting that Crawford has been a substantial upgrade on Flip's career best season last year.

I don't mind JJ's minutes in this game at all - although the lack of PT for Teague is not something I like to see. JJ needs rest against Sacramento tonight so hopefully that will be taken care of for both JJ and Teague.

Complaining about JJ's minutes in a game like yesterday is micromanaging a bit too much for me. Joe is averaging 38 minutes per game this season and with a lower workload tonight that should be down in a reasonable range of 36 or so which is just fine.

Teague needs a consistent, even if limited, role, though. Especially on a night when Bibby isn't playing particularly well.

Marvin needs to step it up already. He is too good to only take 4 shots and to get as few rebounds as he did after the first quarter.

It is also early but worth noting that Crawford has been a substantial upgrade on Flip's career best season last year.

Just curious as I didn't get to see the game last night but why didn't Teague play? I know he wasn't listed on the injury list so was it just a Woody decision?

No doubt Crawford has been a huge upgrade! He's got a legit shot at 6th man of the year this year.

Just curious as I didn't get to see the game last night but why didn't Teague play? I know he wasn't listed on the injury list so was it just a Woody decision?

No doubt Crawford has been a huge upgrade! He's got a legit shot at 6th man of the year this year.

This is what I would assume.

1. After all the turnovers vs. the Lakers we needed Bibby in their to run a steady and tight ship.

2. Crawford was red hot.

3. JJ defense was needed to hold Roy in check.

4. Andre Miller is one of the most savy PGs in the league, off the bench, for Teague to match up against.

5. JJ is the only guy on the roster to defend Roy. Roy would have torched Crawford's defense at the 2-guard.

I hope Teague gets 15 - 20 minutes tonight in the 2nd game of back to backs.........maybe more if he is hot.

This was an extremely intense and competitive game and Crawford was red hot while at the same time racking up assist by creatig for others.........not just the cheap assist where a guy hits a perimeter shot. There will be nights when JJ does not play 46 mpg and Crawford will not play 34 mpg............but when they are both playing extremely well and get those heavy minutes it hust leaces little to no time for Teague.

Edited by coachx

The answer is very simple, Brandon Roy played 41 minutes. Woody wanted no part again of what happened Sunday when he put Crawesome on Kobe and Kobe heated up not just shooting but also getting the rest of the team involved. Woody pretty much kept Joe on Roy and would play Crawesome on Blake or Outlaw. When Andre Miller was in with Rudy, Woody put Marvin on Miller and Crawesome on Rudy/Outlaw. You could tell Jamal was far more comfortable on both ends because he didn't have to take on the more physical assignment on defense. Blake is small and nonathletic, Rudy is the same size as Jamal and a finesse player and Outlaw prefers the jumper to working in the paint. This freed him up to do his thing on offense.

Give this man a prize. He has the right answer.

Brandon Roy would've eaten Crawford alive, and may have gotten him in foul trouble, reducing his effectiveness. The move also prevented the Blazers from all out doubling Crawford, allowing him to go one on one and stay aggressive offensively.

Yeah, Woody could've played Teague, but he played it safe tonight. If anything, Woody could've given Mo Evans more minutes, and rested JJ whenever Roy went to the bench.

With the starters playing heavy minutes @ Portland, we'll see if the bench will be more of a factor tonight vs the Kings.

• Moderators

Bibby played 35 minutes and scored 7 points on 10 shots and racked up 5 assists against 2 turnovers. There were minutes available for Teague.

A DNP-CD happening once or twice over the season is fine, but it better not be a pattern.

Even 5 minutes is valuable time and it isn't like Teague's 20 PER is so much lower than Bibby's 13 PER.

Teague also has the better assist to turnover ratio so far this year and his defense isn't any worse than Bibby's.

The man needs consistent exposure, even if limited.

I wanted to see what Channel Zero could do against Andre Miller. I figured if nothing else, the speed advantage would have been immense. Just let him tire out Dre for a bit by running all over the court.

But, there's a reason why I'm not a coach.

I wanted to see what Channel Zero could do against Andre Miller. I figured if nothing else, the speed advantage would have been immense. Just let him tire out Dre for a bit by running all over the court.

But, there's a reason why I'm not a coach.

The way the game was unfolding, I didn't want to see Teague on Miller at all. Whatever Teague did on the offensive end would have likely paled in comparison to what Miller would have done to him on the other end. Asking ANY rookie PG (not just Teague but guys like Jonny Flynn, Stephen Curry, Brandon Jennings, Jrue Holiday and Ty Lawson as well) to guard Miller in a late game situation is asking a lot in my opinion. Certain guys like Miller (Sam Cassell is another name that immediately comes to mind) DESTROY rookie PGs with their combo of strength and savvy. I watched Cassell do that to the original JT, Steve Francis, Baron Davis and Miller himself when they were all rookies and I've seen Miller do that to other young PGs over the years.

In a situation where the game is even early in the game, give the rookie some run against Miller. But in a situation like last night, I agree with Woody's decision to let Teague sit it out.

The way the game was unfolding, I didn't want to see Teague on Miller at all. Whatever Teague did on the offensive end would have likely paled in comparison to what Miller would have done to him on the other end. Asking ANY rookie PG (not just Teague but guys like Jonny Flynn, Stephen Curry, Brandon Jennings, Jrue Holiday and Ty Lawson as well) to guard Miller in a late game situation is asking a lot in my opinion. Certain guys like Miller (Sam Cassell is another name that immediately comes to mind) DESTROY rookie PGs with their combo of strength and savvy. I watched Cassell do that to the original JT, Steve Francis, Baron Davis and Miller himself when they were all rookies and I've seen Miller do that to other young PGs over the years.

In a situation where the game is even early in the game, give the rookie some run against Miller. But in a situation like last night, I agree with Woody's decision to let Teague sit it out.

Agree 100%

Bibby played 35 minutes and scored 7 points on 10 shots and racked up 5 assists against 2 turnovers. There were minutes available for Teague.

A DNP-CD happening once or twice over the season is fine, but it better not be a pattern.

Even 5 minutes is valuable time and it isn't like Teague's 20 PER is so much lower than Bibby's 13 PER.

Teague also has the better assist to turnover ratio so far this year and his defense isn't any worse than Bibby's.

The man needs consistent exposure, even if limited.

We all know Woodys aversion to rookies. I think he wanted this win badly and kept the veteran guards in for that reason. My thinking is in our scheme (Woodys scheme) Craw can play PG or SG just as effectively on the offensive end.

If Crawford and Teague continue to play steady as a one two punch over the next few months, I honestly think Bibby could be used off the bench. But that would require Woodson to grow some; so I would not expect it to happen anytime soon. Crawfords defense is no worse than Bibbys, it just comes down to if he continues to play under control and keeps his bad shot selection down. Teague needs minutes and a DNP for such a promising rookie is just another sign of Woody being inept when it comes to our rotation.

We only have four decent guards and it was not like Bibby had his A game. There is just no excuse for Teague not getting around five minutes in the 1st half and five in the second...Who really gives a crap if Bibby only gets 25 minutes if he is not on his best game?

Edited by Buzzard