• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it just me ?

coachx

I come back fom from a short weekend vacation expecting to see some good new threads on the squawk after we blow out an undeadeated Nuggets team. Yet all I read are people complaining.

Is that all we know how to do around here.....complain ?

People are actually complaining that we have depth with Collins and Smith.

People are complaining that Crawford should start even though the chemistry looks real good right now.

Plenty of championship teams have one of their best scorers come off the bench as a 6th man to play "starters minutes." Yet there are many people crying that what the Hawks are doing makes no sense.

What the Hawks are doing is actually very conventional.

Remember the common sense post quoting Charles Oakley ? You can't have 5 scorers on the floor at one time ? You need people who defend and rebound. Marvin is the superior defender and rebounder to Crawford. Not to mention we are already an undersized team.... so Marvins extra 4'' and 40 pounds comes in handy.

Lets quit looking like crazy fan base and support our team after such a big win. How 'bout it ?

Or we can continue to whine and complain.

1.The Nuggets were not undefeated.

2.They were missing K-mart and still JR Smith

3.Where are the defenders?

In fairness, the Nuggets did win the first 5 without Smith so that can pass.... But it appears K-mart is a big loss for them.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

They still had their top 2 players in the game. It's not like Kmart and JR Smith are HOFers or even all stars, or even honorable mention allstars.

Horford and Crawford aren't All-Stars either. Do you think our record would be the same if those two had missed the last 7 games?

Graham and Balkman combined for 8 fouls and 6 points.

Horford and Crawford aren't All-Stars either. Do you think our record would be the same if those two had missed the last 7 games?

Graham and Balkman combined for 8 fouls and 6 points.

In fairness, The Nuggs managed to win the first 5 games without JR Smith just fine. But I think on the defensive end K-mart is a loss for them. K-Mart is only scoring about 10PPPG this year, so scoring wise Balkman and Graham were not that far off.... But the loss hurts the Nuggs on the defensive end.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

A win is a win. 5-2 after a scary WC trip to start the season. We've already beat the Wiz, who too many (fools) picked to finish in front of us. portland in their house and now a WC power house in Denver. The Charlottes happen. Bet they happen less and less though.

Yet again a Hawks fan ignores the opponents injuries. Jamison was out and Butler got hurt in the first half and didn't return.

Lol. We're now making excuses for the other team when the Hawks win. Love it. :blink:

So just mentioning opponents injuries is making excuses but if Hawks players are out hurt and people openly blames losses on those injuries that isn't making excuses. OK

Maybe i should pull posts from last season when Smith was out. Then you will really see some people using his injury as an excuse.

Yet again a Hawks fan ignores the opponents injuries. Jamison was out and Butler got hurt in the first half and didn't return.

so we shouldve postponed the game until everyone is healthy ? I think the nba should look into that and only allow the games to be played in which both teams are fully healthy .

• Premium Member

I don't think K mart makes much of the difference. It's not like the guy is an all star, he has been putting well below average numbers since joining the nuggets. That game wasn't even a contest... I think the fact it was the end of a long road trip is more to blame for the Nuggets play than injureis.

so we shouldve postponed the game until everyone is healthy ? I think the nba should look into that and only allow the games to be played in which both teams are fully healthy .

Dumb and irrelevant post.

The pattern here for years is that if a Hawk is injured people will openly blame a loss on the Hawks injuries . But if the opposing team is missing players people just ignore it and pretend like they were healthy. Just the mere mention of an opposing team injury is raging heresy. That is just blind homerism.

Nowhere did i say that the Hawks would have lost if KMart and Smith were playing but that doesn't stop the homers from saying that i am making excuses for a win. All i was doing was stating a fact, that Martin and Smith were out. Some people just aren't interested in facts.

I don't think K mart makes much of the difference. It's not like the guy is an all star, he has been putting well below average numbers since joining the nuggets. That game wasn't even a contest... I think the fact it was the end of a long road trip is more to blame for the Nuggets play than injureis.

I can't believe you are making an excuse for a Hawks win. You must not be a real fan.

So just mentioning opponents injuries is making excuses but if Hawks players are out hurt and people openly blames losses on those injuries that isn't making excuses. OK

Maybe i should pull posts from last season when Smith was out. Then you will really see some people using his injury as an excuse.

Not true. I didn't say that. It is an excuse either way and valid in both cases. I'm just saying that we should take the wins and run with it. Celebrate more and compain less. Do you think the Cav fans gave the Hawks any quarter when half of our team was injured during the last playoff series? Hell no.

At least the Hawks have shown that they beat... no wait.... THUMP a team with 2 allstars, 1 starter, and 2 bench players.

Be cool with it.

:cool:

Geez, would you shut up? This same injury talk every year. I can't remember, but did you cut the Hawks some slack last year when we're injured in the playoffs?

As for the OP I think what I feel and few others is that this team is no longer a first half judgment team. We want to see how they finish and what they do in the playoffs. We started 6-0 last year and had some really inconsistent patches. Let's see that Bobcat performance not be repeated for at least 2 months. Let's get a win against LA, Boston, or Orlando and have it stick. I like how this team looks and being the 4th highest scoring team in the league is the stuff of fanaticism. But, let's see what happens. Let's see if we stay in the top 6 teams league wide if the management is willing to up the ante and make us a legit title contender by going into the Luxury Tax if there is a move available. I guess I'm saying a lot of people are waiting.

Edited by sultanofatl

• Moderators

Geez, would you shut up? This same injury talk every year. I can't remember, but did you cut the Hawks some slack last year when we're injured in the playoffs?

exodus grinds this axe because people repeatedly talk about our injuries being excuses for losses and then don't apply the same criteria to when we benefit from opponent injuries.

I personally tend to see injuries as part of the game and figure that having healthy players is a good thing and is a reason to fault a team that wants to build around someone like Gilbert Arenas, Kevin Martin or some other injury prone player. Every team has to deal with health issues and you just take them as they come unless you are dealing with a catastrophic issue like losing David Robinson for the year back in the 90s for the Spurs. Then you can write the losses off and hope for the future. Losing someone for a few weeks is just part of a normal season.

exodus grinds this axe because people repeatedly talk about our injuries being excuses for losses and then don't apply the same criteria to when we benefit from opponent injuries.

I personally tend to see injuries as part of the game and figure that having healthy players is a good thing and is a reason to fault a team that wants to build around someone like Gilbert Arenas, Kevin Martin or some other injury prone player. Every team has to deal with health issues and you just take them as they come unless you are dealing with a catastrophic issue like losing David Robinson for the year back in the 90s for the Spurs. Then you can write the losses off and hope for the future. Losing someone for a few weeks is just part of a normal season.

I agree, but also that's where depth steps in. We have depth this year. I honestly think we could withstand a loss of a starter and not miss much of a beat. Save for Josh Smith the way he is currently playing. Nobody else on the team can fill his current level of play.

Not true. I didn't say that. It is an excuse either way and valid in both cases. :cool:

If it is valid in both cases then why did you post this?

Lol. We're now making excuses for the other team when the Hawks win. Love it.

That doesn't look like a post from some someone who thinks it is a valid excuse in both cases.

you guard against injury by:

a) not sign injury prone players (Speedy Claxton)

b) Keep the average age of the team low.

c) have enough back-ups so that players can rest during the games. (unlike last year)

d) have enough back-ups so that players don't have to play through injuries and aggravate the injuries further. (unlike last year)

e) have enough back-ups so that teams keep on winning with the backups, and starters can rest maximum garbage minutes. (unlike last year).

f) have enough back-ups so that when injuries happen, the team is deep enough to keep winning. (unlike last year).

g) have a few utility type back-ups who can play multiple positions.

h) have a coach who understands players could break down with too many minutes.

Agreed.

In 82 games, does it really matter? That's why the season is so long. The NBA weeds out the "contenders" with the "pretenders". All teams go through injuries, and unless it's a season ending one to your francise player, there's no excuse. When we look back after the all-star break, are we really going to say that the win vs. Denver the seventh game of the season was a fluke because K-Mart was hurt?? I doubt it. Part of the game.