• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Phillips Arena

Brotha2ThaNite

I went to last night's Hawks vs Blazers game and I must say that has been the best non-playoff atmosphere game at Phillips I have been to.

That was on a Monday Night too. It is true, "You build it and they will come."

I remember seeing a john hollinger chat last week. I person asked him where is the best place to watch a Hawks game because he was tied of going to this one bar(Can't remember the name of the bar) and Hollinger told him the best place was Atlanta Hartsville airport. That way you can get on a fly and vist I real NBA city.

That pissed me off because when you check the NBA Rating when it comes to cities that watch the NBA Champsion Games. Atlanta is always in the top five every year I hear this.

If they keep winning the NBA world is going to be very surpise at the ppl that will come to see them play.

I was there and the place was empty. the sparse crowd that was there was loud near the end though, I will say that......but attendance at home games is always disappointing.

They wont pack that place until the playoffs and maybe a few games like Boston or LA.

Its better than it was, but its still nowhere near where it should be.

I believe in what you say. I think we should all encourage everyone we know in ATL to get out there and go to the games. All you have to do is show them the standings and let them see a small clip of a game. It's easy to convert people.

I went to last night's Hawks vs Blazers game and I must say that has been the best non-playoff atmosphere game at Phillips I have been to.

I remember seeing a john hollinger chat last week. I person asked him where is the best place to watch a Hawks game because he was tied of going to this one bar(Can't remember the name of the bar) and Hollinger told him the best place was Atlanta Hartsville airport. That way you can get on a fly and vist I real NBA city.

That pissed me off because when you check the NBA Rating when it comes to cities that watch the NBA Champsion Games. Atlanta is always in the top five every year I hear this.

If they keep winning the NBA world is going to be very surpise at the ppl that will come to see them play.

i agree

what surprised me is the cheaper/upper level seats were mostly empty, while the expensive seats behind the announcers were pretty much full all the way back

in any case, it was cool being on the lower level the first time, we were right by where the players came out

that crowd sure did roar towards teh end...prolly coz the Hawks played most of the first 3 quarters pretty bad...everyone likes a comeback :)

Go Hawks!

• Moderators

I know i'm in the minority but I hate the arena itself. There are about 50 reasons i hate it but the worst is that 100 level seats on the side are usually not available and are very expensive (that's fine), 200 level exist only on one side of the court and after the first 6 rows you can't see the scoreboard because of the overhang (for $70 i like to see the scoreboard i'm picky). 300 level seats are decent but you have to take 3 escalators and walk down 400 steps to get to your seats then if you want a beer you have to walk up 400 steps, hope they opened the 2nd class citizen concessions or go all the way back down to the lower sections-back up- and then down again whilst your pizza gets cold and you spill your beer on the damn steps.

Sorry had to vent.

I was there too.

You must not go to many games.

The place was empty and the few that were there were silent until the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter and over time.

You need to go when they play the Lakers, Cavs, Celtics, Suns, Magic............ the atmosphere is electric with a legit sale out crowd.

Hollinger was at the game Monday night and goes to at least 20 a year. He lives in Atlanta and is simply speaking from first hand expierence. No need to get mad at the guy for speaking the truth.

TV ratings are different then having high attendance. Atlanta is not a wealthy city. The cost to live in Atlanta is much cheaper then most of the other succesfull NBA cities. People in Orlando, Miami, NY, L.A., Phoneix, Dallas, etc. simply have more money to spend.

Edited by coachx

Hollinger was at the game Monday night and goes to at least 20 a year. He lives in Atlanta and is simply speaking from first hand expierence. No need to get mad at the guy for speaking the truth.

TV ratings are different then having high attendance. Atlanta is not a wealthy city. The cost to live in Atlanta is much cheaper then most of the other succesfull NBA cities. People in Orlando, Miami, NY, L.A., Phoneix, Dallas, etc. simply have more money to spend.

Another reason it's hard for ATL teams to get attendance in general is transportation. The city has a huge metro population, but it's spread out over many more miles than the cities that get great attendance. You can take MARTA to Philips easily, but it only works for those who live near MARTA. There are about 4.5 million people in the burbs who'd rather be lazy and stay at home and watch the game. Give ATL better transportation, a more vibrant city center, and attendance will go up. Also, attendance should start going up this season, because people are still just starting to realize that we actually have a damn good team now.

Another reason it's hard for ATL teams to get attendance in general is transportation. The city has a huge metro population, but it's spread out over many more miles than the cities that get great attendance. You can take MARTA to Philips easily, but it only works for those who live near MARTA. There are about 4.5 million people in the burbs who'd rather be lazy and stay at home and watch the game. Give ATL better transportation, a more vibrant city center, and attendance will go up. Also, attendance should start going up this season, because people are still just starting to realize that we actually have a damn good team now.

I could say "that's no excuse", as I made it to last nights game from Australia. The MARTA doesnt go there. :rolleyes:

I hope we get a big crowd for the Miami game tomorrow, I'd love to experience a near-full arena whilst I am still here.

I know i'm in the minority but I hate the arena itself. There are about 50 reasons i hate it but the worst is that 100 level seats on the side are usually not available and are very expensive (that's fine), 200 level exist only on one side of the court and after the first 6 rows you can't see the scoreboard because of the overhang (for $70 i like to see the scoreboard i'm picky). 300 level seats are decent but you have to take 3 escalators and walk down 400 steps to get to your seats then if you want a beer you have to walk up 400 steps, hope they opened the 2nd class citizen concessions or go all the way back down to the lower sections-back up- and then down again whilst your pizza gets cold and you spill your beer on the damn steps.

Sorry had to vent.

Lol at the 300 seats. My first season tix were 310 A row seat 5. Perfect seats right at half court. You could see everything. I could never bring a date however because no chick wants to climb down those steep seats and going to the bathroom or for beer was a nightmare. I think I might snag a 25 game pkg in the 119 section. The bad part about the 100's is that if you aren't 101-107 you feel like a baller but not quite because you aren't in the club section where all the action is.

it costs more to live in atlanta than orlando and dallas; you can get a mansion in dallas for 250k

One issue that I think affects Hawks attendance is the lack of coverage in the local media. Even on sports talk radio, its rare to hear about the hawks, and it might be just 10 minutes of a 3 hour show. The news channels don't talk much about them and its just not on the mind of people generally.

Unfortunately, I also think that a lot of upper/middle class whites (good ol boys) do not like the NBA because it brings across too much of a hip hop image. I am not really sure why they act that way, but I guess in baseball and football, the teams are larger and they wear hats and helmets, so there is less identity amongst the players. This is not reflected in the majority, but I think a lot that fork out good money to go to see other sports do not watch basketball.

One other big thing is the number of games. People want to compare the falcons and UGA football, but there are only 8 home falcons games and maybe 6 UGA football games. I believe the Braves are a little cheaper, and they play in the summer when attending is more accessible. The hawks need to start doing business men specials during the week.

Also, why not drop prices and fill up the seats. Arthur Blank did it. Why not lower prices, fill up all seats. I am sure that you would have a huge increase in concessions and souvenirs. The way the economy is now, its tough to get out to a game. Especially with a family.

Price is also an issue. The hawks need to do a better job of running promotions through corporations to get their employees out to the games. Not that it matters, entertainment during time outs never changes, so it might be nice to spice that up a little. I am getting a little tired of seeing sky hawk. The girls are nice though.

Those are just my thoughts. If I were running things, I think there are a lot of little things that could be done to increase attendance.

The bad part about the 100's is that if you aren't 101-107 you feel like a baller but not quite because you aren't in the club section where all the action is.

I bought a ticket from a scalper last year for the Houston game ( the game in which Bibby won with a 3 at the buzzer. ) He didn't want to split up his 200 level tickets by selling me just one, so he ended up selling me a 100 level club seat for $65.

WOW!!

Sitting on the 100 club level side is like night and day. The crowd isn't as into the game on that side, but everything else is LOVELY. The food is MUCH BETTER. No consession stand food on that side. And if it is, it's damn near gourmet.

I see why that side looks half-empty until the end of the game, because everybody is mingling/fraternizing in the club level lounge. Food, drinks, and some of the most beautiful women in ATL are all on that side.

I'm sure I won't luck out and get a hold to a $65 club ticket ever again . . . but I'm making it a point to sit on that side of the arena for at least one game this year. I thought club level at the GA Dome was nice ( and it is ). But WOW @ Philips Arena.

And as far as the reasons/excuses why people in ATL don't go to Hawk games . . . just stop. It's always something that is blamed for the reason why ATL fans don't show up to games like they should.

The difference between legit fan bases and other fan bases, is that the #1 reason why legit fan bases come out to see a game, is to see THEIR team. Other types of fan bases only come out for big or important games . . or to see some popular player from another team. We're still in the "other" type of fan base category.

It's still early in the season, so I guess the Hawks still have time to win people over. It's a shame though . . it should've already happened, in a city that's "so-called" a basketball town.

Edited by northcyde

My experienced has been ruined by my access to club level seats at the Jazz Home game last year. It was one of the most memorable and incredible experiences of my life. Seriously though, I'm going to start going to games again, but I'll probably wait for the new year.

One issue that I think affects Hawks attendance is the lack of coverage in the local media. Even on sports talk radio, its rare to hear about the hawks, and it might be just 10 minutes of a 3 hour show. The news channels don't talk much about them and its just not on the mind of people generally.

Unfortunately, I also think that a lot of upper/middle class whites (good ol boys) do not like the NBA because it brings across too much of a hip hop image. I am not really sure why they act that way, but I guess in baseball and football, the teams are larger and they wear hats and helmets, so there is less identity amongst the players. This is not reflected in the majority, but I think a lot that fork out good money to go to see other sports do not watch basketball.

One other big thing is the number of games. People want to compare the falcons and UGA football, but there are only 8 home falcons games and maybe 6 UGA football games. I believe the Braves are a little cheaper, and they play in the summer when attending is more accessible. The hawks need to start doing business men specials during the week.

Also, why not drop prices and fill up the seats. Arthur Blank did it. Why not lower prices, fill up all seats. I am sure that you would have a huge increase in concessions and souvenirs. The way the economy is now, its tough to get out to a game. Especially with a family.

Price is also an issue. The hawks need to do a better job of running promotions through corporations to get their employees out to the games. Not that it matters, entertainment during time outs never changes, so it might be nice to spice that up a little. I am getting a little tired of seeing sky hawk. The girls are nice though.

Those are just my thoughts. If I were running things, I think there are a lot of little things that could be done to increase attendance.

I don't like to make excuses for fans not showing up, but these are some pretty good reasons. You my friend should take over as head of marketing. Seriously though, i know a couple people that work in the Philips marketing department and I think they could do a LOT better.