2.7 apg

1.9 rpg

1.7 turnovers

Flip

15 ppg

2.5 apg

4.4 rpg

2 turnovers

If Craw hadn't taken any 3 attempts to this point he would be shooting 55% from the field, yikes. He has been shooting 40% from the field his past 7 seasons, double yikes.

• Admin

This kind of points to fg%'s uselessness as a basketball statistic. 33% from 3 = 50% from 2.

A major difference is the respect Crawford will get from the other team that Flip will not. The teams defense will focus on Crawford which always leave guys open. Flip not so much.

A major difference is the respect Crawford will get from the other team that Flip will not. The teams defense will focus on Crawford which always leave guys open. Flip not so much.

it isn't showing up much in Crawfords assists though. I think people are forgetting just how big Flip was last year. He had a big year and also shot 36% from 3.

Crawford a better player without question, but neither should start when Bibby hurt. These guys are 6th men.

• Premium Member

it isn't showing up much in Crawfords assists though. I think people are forgetting just how big Flip was last year. He had a big year and also shot 36% from 3.

I think you have to look beyond his assists. I would say offensive efficiency for the team improves when he's on the floor with Joe and Bibby. Flip and Craw operate on 2 different mechanisms. Flip was a driver. Craw is a shooter. Craw can drive and can pass, but we use him as a third shooter. IN that sense, he opens the floor for other players. Flip didn't really open the floor. Flip took advantage of the lack of attention he received on defense. There's nothing wrong with Flip, he made good use of his minutes. I just think Craw is better and has more to offer.

• Like 2

Flip was huge for us last year and I felt he never got the respect he deserved. Crawford can carry a team better than Flip can and he also has better handles. The difference between the 2 in STATS is pretty minimal, but I still would rather have Crawford. The important difference will be how they both perform in the playoffs.

Crawford is definitely taking too many 3s, especially given how poorly he is shooting them. As a team the Hawks are shooting 33% from 3 which is pretty bad considering Smith isn't taking any.

Yep I was getting so frustrated watching him sit in the corner and take those 3's. We didn't bring him here to be a spot up 3pt shooter, we brought him in to run ISO-Jamal and when he's doing that our offense seems fine. There were times against the Hornets where he was making nearly every shot he took off the dribble but he is really struggling when he's playing the Marvin role and camping out at the 3pt line waiting to take that shot.

• Premium Member

Yep I was getting so frustrated watching him sit in the corner and take those 3's. We didn't bring him here to be a spot up 3pt shooter, we brought him in to run ISO-Jamal and when he's doing that our offense seems fine. There were times against the Hornets where he was making nearly every shot he took off the dribble but he is really struggling when he's playing the Marvin role and camping out at the 3pt line waiting to take that shot.

I'm not sure our offense has been fine when we run ISO-Jamal. Like with ISO-Joe, it's fine if we run it every once in awhile. But the ISO-Jamal followed by ISO-Joe that we saw ad nauseum last night was not working. ISO plays are too easy to predict and cover if you run them as frequently as we do.

I'd like to see Jamal off more screen-rolls rather than ISOs.

I'm not sure our offense has been fine when we run ISO-Jamal. Like with ISO-Joe, it's fine if we run it every once in awhile. But the ISO-Jamal followed by ISO-Joe that we saw ad nauseum last night was not working. ISO plays are too easy to predict and cover if you run them as frequently as we do.

I'd like to see Jamal off more screen-rolls rather than ISOs.

I should clarify that statement, for the offense that we unfortunately run I'd much rather see ISO-Jamal than stand in the corner 3pt shooter Jamal.

I'd like to see our entire offense based more on screens/PnR's/etc. but since that's not going to happen with Woody as the coach we need to make sure that we run the plays that are most successful in his system.

Crawford attempted 6 3's a game last season. You expected him to completely change the kind of player he was after he arrived here?

I'm fine with Crawford attempting 4-6 3pt shots a game but it seems to me that he's far more accurate on them off the dribble than he is spotting up for them. That's my beef is that he's not a stand still wait on the ball shooter, he's a scorer who is deadly off the dribble.

Crawford is definitely taking too many 3s, especially given how poorly he is shooting them. As a team the Hawks are shooting 33% from 3 which is pretty bad considering Smith isn't taking any.

This is Craw and he is the same as Flip but more derversified. He shot .360 from the 3pt line last season which was his best % since 04/05. His career is .345. He is streaky as hell; and will keep shooting as all shooters do till they start falling.

I like Craws game; have for years and we just need to accept this part of it. One week soon he will make 8 of 12 or 10 of 14 from the 3pt line over a couple of games, while putting up 30 or more and the world will be right, as will his 3pt shooting%.

Edited by Buzzard

I'm fine with Crawford attempting 4-6 3pt shots a game but it seems to me that he's far more accurate on them off the dribble than he is spotting up for them. That's my beef is that he's not a stand still wait on the ball shooter, he's a scorer who is deadly off the dribble.

yeah hes a good spotup shooter for the corner but hes a much better scorer than he is shooter but if you put him at the top of the key with the ball then that puts JJ in the corner and JJ doesnt like playing without the ball too much . So thats something that Woody has to fix as far as tossing in a few more offensive sets and I noticed he has Crawford handling the ball more in the 3 guard set which something he hadnt really done for about 3-4 games.

We also get a great shot just about everytime Crawford runs screen and roll I would rather us do more of that then ISO-jamal . Al really could open his game even further by improving his footwork on those rolls as well.

As for the Flip/Craw comparisons I just dong it . There really is no comparison as they are two very different level of players here .

Flip had 10 games all of last season out of 80 where he scored 20+ points .

Crawford has 6 games of 14 so far with 20+ points

Crawford is on a different level from Flip .

• Premium Member

I should clarify that statement, for the offense that we unfortunately run I'd much rather see ISO-Jamal than stand in the corner 3pt shooter Jamal.

I'd like to see our entire offense based more on screens/PnR's/etc. but since that's not going to happen with Woody as the coach we need to make sure that we run the plays that are most successful in his system.

Fair enough, and good point.