Joe Johnson is the league's biggest ball hog

Atlantaholic

4-17. The team would have shot close to 60% if Joe had just decided to stop shooting at some point throughout that abysmal performance. Kudos to Woodson for sticking with him and playing him 40 minutes.

What a joke.

He is up there. No doubt a lot of it is Woody, but JJ backs Woody so he has to take the responsibility also.

Joe's play is really on the decline. If this team extends him at max salary and keeps him they will regret it in the long run. His quality of play has dropped for 2 years straight and he is headed down that same road again. I know that he plays a lot of minutes, but he is not the first guy to play 39MPG. He hasn't come close to regaining his solid shooting from a few years ago.

• Premium Member

I will say this...

Taking bad shots is one thing, hogging the ball is another, but when you dribble out 10-15 seconds off the clock to do so...then it is REALLY hurting the team. I didn't see the game today. But in the Orlando game, I saw a lot of that from JJ. I know he can hit big shots and we need him to score. But can we get some BALL MOVEMENT PLEASE!?!?

I don't know if that's more on JJ or Woody, but we got too many guys on this team that can shoot and pass to have so much selfish one on one.

• Premium Member

I watched the first second half possession in Which JJ hogged the ball and eventually made a layup. I knew that added fuel to his fire and that the game might be in trouble. When JJ first got here he used to pass the ball. What happened? It's pretty much unwatchable right now.

Emmitt

What happened is Woody. When JJ arrived, he still had D'Antoni's motion and ball movement-oriented system ingrained in his brain. But once Harrington left, Woody told JJ he had to put the team on his back. Is JJ being a ballhog? Yes. But he was never a ballog in Phoenix, and it would NOT be difficult to design a system here in which JJ still got the most touches but wasn't called on to run so many ISOs.

And let us not forget that JJ is merely the most obvious of an ever-expanding line of scoring guards (Lue, Flip, Crawford) who people accuse of dominating the ball and taking ill-advised and contested shots. It's amazing how people either forget or choose to ignore that when they act like JJ is the only (or even the #1) thing keeping us from becoming a ball-sharing team.

• Moderators

What happened is Woody. When JJ arrived, he still had D'Antoni's motion and ball movement-oriented system ingrained in his brain. But once Harrington left, Woody told JJ he had to put the team on his back. Is JJ being a ballhog? Yes. But he was never a ballog in Phoenix, and it would NOT be difficult to design a system here in which JJ still got the most touches but wasn't called on to run so many ISOs.

And let us not forget that JJ is merely the most obvious of an ever-expanding line of scoring guards (Lue, Flip, Crawford) who people accuse of dominating the ball and taking ill-advised and contested shots. It's amazing how people either forget or choose to ignore that when they act like JJ is the only (or even the #1) thing keeping us from becoming a ball-sharing team.

QFT

• Premium Member

Early into 2009-10, Joe Johnson is 15th in USG%.

Guys ahead of him are:

Wade

Carmelo

Kobe

LeBron

Durant

B. Jennings

Carter

Arenas

Dirk

Bosh

Granger

T. Parker

Al Harrington

M. Ellis

Among those players:

Only Wade & Arenas are less efficient shooters (eFG%).

Only Arenas has a lower TS%.

Excluding PG's, Joe is the worst rebounder (TRB%). (Wade is equal in this regard).

Only Carter & Bosh have a lower STL%.

He blocks the least shots of this group.

His TO% is in the middle of the pack.

Surprisingly, his AST% is in the middle of the pack.

Joe Johnson is not a 1st option!

which means we are probably encouraging his lunacy and trying to showcase him to get better in a sign and trade.

I could be wrong but I dont see a sign and trade because I believe he is a unristricted free agent. If the Hawks want to move him and get something in return they will have to do it soon. Also, trading him now would most likely kill the Hawks chances in the playoffs.

Joe Johnson is not a 1st option!

JJ is our 1st option because for years he was our only option. This is simply not the case anymore. Crawford, Bibby, Smoothe, Marvin, and Horf can contribute now; and Bibby and JJ are more than capable of getting them involved.

I am not talking about 20 ppg from these five players; but thay all are quite capable of close to 15 ppg each. Woodson talks a good game about getting Horford, Marvin, and Smoove more involved by saying things like establishing them in the post more or Marvin being more aggressive. But this offense is the same as it has been since Woody got JJ. Just as our switching defense is still the same since Woody got here.

The only things that change about Woody is whether he shaves and the cut of his suits...

Edited by Buzzard