• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A repeat from last year?

Wurider05

Joe Johnson is shooting just 35 percent from the field over the last five games. This is the same thing that happened last year. We can't aford to let him shoot his way out of his slump. He needs to defer to the other guys on the team more until his stroke comes back. I think that Horf, Marv, and smooth are ready. Woody has to put it in the game plan.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Have you learned nothing! It's all okay! We now have........

...... Crawford isos! :beer11:

Woohoo! Man, it's so refreshing to have a coach who manages to turn a guy who came in talking like a pass-first point guard into JJ-lite.

LOL . . the only way a shooter is going to get out of a slump, is to keep shooting.

He's our scorer. That means he has to shoot the ball. If anything, he needs to start taking better shots. But he doesn't need to stop shooting.

Exodus has been talking all year about JJ's slow starts. From the beginning of the season, he's been starting out 2 - 7 . . 3 - 9. But he was ending up 9 - 19 . . 11 - 22 FG. Lately, the stroke has been off. Guys get hot . . guys cool off. It happens like that in basketball sometimes.

But the shooter can't stop shooting. The shooter needs to take better shots.

Forget the 35% FG . . . JJ has only been to the line 13 times in the last 5 games. And 8 of those came in the Houston game. So he's been to the line 5 times in the last 4 games. That stat right there is more troubling to me.

• Premium Member

Joe Johnson is shooting just 35 percent from the field over the last five games. This is the same thing that happened last year. We can't aford to let him shoot his way out of his slump. He needs to defer to the other guys on the team more until his stroke comes back. I think that Horf, Marv, and smooth are ready. Woody has to put it in the game plan.

My response is why not?

Why can't Joe shoot his way out? I understand the ideal case that when Joe's not shooting well, he defers and becomes some type of assist machine. However, that's not who Joe is. Joe is a scorer (just as much as Crawford). We got to let Joe work his way out of this. His slumping is not caused by some mental block. His slumping is being caused by being the focus of the defense. We need Joe to learn how to beat this. Also, we need others to step up and do what they can. Does that mean, I want Joe shooting 100% of the time? Heavens no. However, if it were Kobe, would you have the same post? Prolly not. You'd prolly curse the coach for not finding the best spots for Kobe to score. Well, Joe is our Kobe. Somebody set a pick. Let the offense run through him. He's in his contract year. A lot is on the line. He will fix it.

• Moderators

But the shooter can't stop shooting. The shooter needs to take better shots.

Forget the 35% FG . . . JJ has only been to the line 13 times in the last 5 games. And 8 of those came in the Houston game. So he's been to the line 5 times in the last 4 games. That stat right there is more troubling to me.

Exactly. nicely put. Take better shots and get to the line when your shot is off.

My response is why not?

Why can't Joe shoot his way out? I understand the ideal case that when Joe's not shooting well, he defers and becomes some type of assist machine. However, that's not who Joe is. Joe is a scorer (just as much as Crawford). We got to let Joe work his way out of this. His slumping is not caused by some mental block. His slumping is being caused by being the focus of the defense. We need Joe to learn how to beat this. Also, we need others to step up and do what they can. Does that mean, I want Joe shooting 100% of the time? Heavens no. However, if it were Kobe, would you have the same post? Prolly not. You'd prolly curse the coach for not finding the best spots for Kobe to score. Well, Joe is our Kobe. Somebody set a pick. Let the offense run through him. He's in his contract year. A lot is on the line. He will fix it.

Joe is in a shooting slump about 80% of the time. His hot shooting comes in a short spurt in a game.

• Premium Member

Joe is in a shooting slump about 80% of the time. His hot shooting comes in a short spurt in a game.

Now that's some 5-star hyperbole, there.

Have you learned nothing! It's all okay! We now have........

...... Crawford isos! :beer11:

That should keep teams off balance. Joe isos involves Joe driving the lane against 4 or 5 guys and shooting off balance from 8 feet. Crawford isos involves him seeing a bunch of guys in the lane and pulling up and flinging it over them from 20 feet out. Imagine the nightmare of teams having to defend against two radically different isos!! <grin>

• Like 1

• Premium Member

My response is why not?

That is the key right there - Joe needs to learn how to beat the defense. Thing is, he's not going to do it trying to cross over that one defender. He's going to get collapsed on. Joe's a great player, but he's a workhorse and he's methodical. He can get to the basket, but he doesn't do it with uber athleticism or acrobatic moves. He's a patient shooter with a solid frame and good control. He's not going to beat 3 guys all night. More importantly though, and we had this going in another thread, Joe has got to go quicker. I think that would help more than anything. Less time for the defense to react, we cut down on the forced J's, cut down on the long rebounds, we get more time for the team to recover, and we have a chance for everyone to be involved.

What JJ really needs, and always has needed, is a reliable 2nd option. If there is someone else the D has to worry about, then it means they can't just crowd him. This is never going to happen though as long as he's pounding the ball trying to take that guy 1 on 1 (really like 1 on 3).

It's on the team though...not just JJ. Woodson has to design this offense to spread the floor and get more guys involved. More guys need to be moving WITHOUT THE BALL and expect to get it when they get freed up. And above all, he's got to stop the ball pounding. Not just by JJ either...

Yea, I think he does shoot a little too often sometimes. He needs to distribute the ball more often if he's having a rough night.

We do have 2nd options on the team... Smoove, Bibby, Crawford. They never get the ball if Joe isn't passing though. Or maybe Joe isn't passing because they aren’t making an effort to get open. Probably a little of both.

When the Hawks have played well this season they've moved the ball (and themselves) around. This includes Joe making some great passes.