Joe's selfish play in a great second half is a problem.

Plainview1981

This game was over but Joe just had to try and match Crawford shot for shot. Why does he lack confidence in himself and his position with the team? He should know he will get the big contract and that he is better than Jamal. There is no need for him to try so hard to show Jamal up. He was doing just fine through 3 periods before he started forcing it... Which caused him to miss everything. He needs a good talking to. But this was a good win. I admit, I thought they'd fold to a hot Charlotte team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This game was over but Joe just had to try and match Crawford shot for shot. Why does he lack confidence in himself and his position with the team? He should know he will get the big contract and that he is better than Jamal. There is no need for him to try so hard to show Jamal up. He was doing just fine through 3 periods before he started forcing it... Which caused him to miss everything. He needs a good talking to. But this was a good win. I admit, I thought they'd fold to a hot Charlotte team.

As a JJ fan...

i have to agree with you 100%.

That was an awful display of sportsmanship by JJ.

As a JJ fan...

i have to agree with you 100%.

That was an awful display of sportsmanship by JJ.

When joe pulled up on that 3 on the fast break josh smith was wide open going in for the easy alley opp. Everyone on the team thought iw was going to be an alley opp so no one was following up for the rebound. JJ started forcing shots with 20 seconds left on shot clock. I didn't even realize he was trying to match crawford but makes sense.

Couldn't agree more with you Hots and I just posted something similar in the game thread. I honestly believe that his selfish play is part of the reason why our defense is so defenseless sometimes because I think that the other players might feel like saying "screw this why should I play defense and hustle if I don't even get to touch the ball on offense".

I dont have a problem with Joe shooting its just seems that the shot he takes are just incredibly more difficult than he has to take at the time in the game . My nephew wondered why he didnt go for his double-double(7 assists) instead of trying to be the leading scorer .

Interesting thread. I watched the game casually. I didn't watch the 2nd quarter closely when they were coming back on us or the beginning of the 3rd when we took it to them.

Joe always takes some crazy shots. However to your point there were 2 shots I saw him take that clanged off the side of the backboard, didn't even draw rim.

And everyone wonders why Marvin sucks - LOL they don't involve him in the offense

please for the love of God Sund trade Marvin so we can all be at peace

Looked like to me that he was trying to get one more basket to get 20 points on the night. With the lead like it was, it was almost like he was teling himself . . . "I got to get 20 . . I got to get 20"

Two of those shots in the 4th, he should always take, because those were "his" shots. The shots he normally makes. I don't necessarily have a problem with his shot selection. He's the shooter and the tough shot maker on the team, so he has the green light at all times.

But after starting 5 - 6 FG, he was already 2 for his last 6 going into the quarter. with each miss, he just got colder. He ended up missng 9 of his last 11 shots.

People want to pit JJ vs Jamal for some reason. This is JJ's team. Everybody knows this. But with him taking 5 shots in a 4 minute span, it looked more like he was trying to get 20 points, than trying to compete with Crawford

I agree though, that he should've gone for 10 assists, before going for 20 points. He played a damn good game tonight though, minus that 4 minute stretch.

NOTE: He's made 2 of his last 14 threes. If you add the Phoenix game, he's 3 for his last 21 from three. He just needs to lay off the 3-ball for a while, if he misses his first 2 attempts from three.

Joe sees what I see: Craw could probably avg 25 on this team easily and give you 5-6 assists a night.

Don't get ridiculous now. If Crawford didn't have JJ, he'd be forcing up a ton of shots and everybody would be complaining about his shot selection . . . just like in Jamal's previous 8 seasons in the NBA. This team would definitely fall off if you remove JJ from the equation here.

If he ( JJ ) makes one of those tough close shots and one of those wide open 3's, he's 9 - 17 FG for 24 points. No one would be complaining if he made the shots. But he does have to calm it down when he's ice cold from the outside.

Crawford hasn't been lighting it up lately when he's the focal point of the offense with the 2nd unit. But when he plays alongside JJ, he gets more open looks.

Come playoff time, we're going to need both of them to come up big. And if one happens to be struggling, the other is there to pick up the scoring slack. Most good playoff teams have at least 2 guys who are capable of carring the load. As long as JJ and Jamal ( and the rest of the fans ) understand that, this isn't a long term problem.

Edited by northcyde

I was gonna make a thread like this , but you beat me to it.

I wish Woody had the balls to bench JJ when he starts playing selfish.

• Premium Member

JJ's play in the fourth was really terrible. Single handedly kept the Bobcats in it... Joe needs to be more of a team leader if we expect to challenge in the playoffs... Sometimes leading means being man enough to defer to teamates when they are having a better night than you are.

This is the first time since coming to this forum that I've agreed with you. Your take is spot on!

Maybe Joe was trying to score more tonight to donate more money to Haiti

he was one of the players who was donating $1000 per point he scored tonight.....

just a thought

You know what that might be complete BS but I'll take it! I didn't realize he was one of the ones donating but I'm happy to hear it so thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe Joe was trying to score more tonight to donate more money to Haiti

he was one of the players who was donating $1000 per point he scored tonight.....

just a thought

NEW YORK (AP)—Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) was one of 10 NBA players donating $1,000 for every point he scored Friday night to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund.

The players taking part, all clients of the Wasserman Media Group, included Rookie of the Year Derrick Rose(notes), Atlanta All-Star Joe Johnson(notes), rookie Tyreke Evans(notes) of Sacramento and Washington veteran Antawn Jamison(notes).

A total of 47 players from the agency planned to donate a minimum of $500,000 to the fund. Former President Bill Clinton was at the Lakers’ game against the Knicks, where he planned to announce the program at halftime during an ESPN interview.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjHtYogaN.2RavDA76N7o328vLYF?slug=ap-nbaplayers-haiti&prov=ap&type=lgns

What this team lacks is a starter than consistently hit a jump shot. It's sad to say but Horford has the best 15' shot of any player in the starting lineup. Joe can't shoot, Bibby can't shoot, Marvin can't shoot and Josh can't shoot. I don't like seeing anyone on this team shooting except Crawford and Horford from 15. Outside of Crawford we don't have a 3 pt shooter. Thankfully this team has some very good athletes or we'd be in trouble. I get tired of watching teams with 3 players starting that can hit a jumper and we don't have 1, unless you wanna count Horford.

Yep. Like I said a couple of weeks ago, Joe's selfishness is becoming a real problem. I think he is more concerned about proving that he is deserving of a max contract than he is with the success of the team. He is absolutely obsessed with proving that he's "Da Man!" He is putting his own selfish goals above the team goals. As a result, Joe Johnson has become a worse teammate (maybe even a bad teammate now), and he has become a worse player too. I believe his selfish play is actually hurting him and the team and actually proving that he is NOT worthy of a max contract. Also, I find it very contradictory that Joe was quoted earlier in the season as saying: "Since when did we become a selfish team? People don't know their roles. It's all about me, me, me. Everybody wants to go one on one. Everybody who touches it wants to score." Yet, Joe Johnson has proven to be, far and away, the most selfish player on this team. Joe needs to wake up and realize that his comments are actually an indictment on his own selfish play. While he's pointing the finger at others, he needs to take a long look in the mirror.

Edited by Antmillennium
  • Like 1