• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody Bashing?

benhillboy

I just don't get it. We have a very suspect bench, a complete bust at the starting 3, and a once well-respected starting point who has seemingly died while operating under the worst possible ownership situation without a bonafide superstar. He increases his win total EVERY YEAR!!!! Fewest turnovers committed, suffocating defense in the fourth, raising two monsters in the frontcourt, realistic goals to advance further in the playoffs, sweeping recent champions in the regular season. What more do yall want from the man?

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

I just don't get it. We have a very suspect bench, a complete bust at the starting 3, and a once well-respected starting point who has seemingly died. He increases his win total EVERY YEAR!!!! Fewest turnovers committed, suffocating defense in the fourth, raising two monsters in the frontcourt, realistic goals to advance further in the playoffs, sweeping recent champions in the regular season. What more do yall want from the man?

I want him to start caring about the other 50% of the game.

I just don't get it. We have a very suspect bench, a complete bust at the starting 3, and a once well-respected starting point who has seemingly died. He increases his win total EVERY YEAR!!!! Fewest turnovers committed, suffocating defense in the fourth, raising two monsters in the frontcourt, realistic goals to advance further in the playoffs, sweeping recent champions in the regular season. What more do yall want from the man?

I want him to learn how to substitute some of the starters, not all the starters at one time.

Woody put to much pressure on the starters to come back.

• Premium Member

i want his eyebrows to grow back

and I want him to stop being so loyal to nonproductive players

Edited by NineOhTheRino

You know the hawks have a top 5 offense in the league right?

Well, the Hawks do not currently have a top 5 offense, but I do understand what you mean. However, I feel that the offensive style of the Hawks will be easily shut down in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Much like last year. I'm hoping for the best, but I just don't like the flow of the offense. It just seems like too much isolation and too much freelancing.

The Hawks do have a top 5 offense right now once you account for pace.

And of course the Hawks offense is going to look worse in the second round of the playoffs- they are going to be facing one of the top defensive teams in the league in the second round. Any offense the Hawks run would struggle in the second round of the playoffs.

I'm far more worried about the hawks defense getting exposed in the playoffs. The only saving grace is that the PG's in the east aren't spectacular.

Edited by spotatl

:conversation:

I want him to become a man of his word. When he says he is going to do something, I want him to

do what he said he was going to do.

His words and his actions do not fit together perfectly. We all have this problem, to some extent.

We have difficulty doing exactly what we say we are going to do. New Year's Resolutions - - Easily broken.

The most glaring example of this is Woody' declaration, "I'm going to use the bench more. Rest the

starters more so that they will be fresh in the 4th quarter, crunch time."

We know that this works. It worked last night. Sunday night, it would have made a difference, we believe.

I want Woody to believe that what HE says is important - - Important enough that he will do what HE says.

It was Woody who said this - - Not some sports writer or some poster - -Woody, be a man of your word!

Is that too much to ask? Iff you're not going to do something, quit saying that you are going to do it.

:stirthepot:

I just don't get it. We have a very suspect bench, a complete bust at the starting 3, and a once well-respected starting point who has seemingly died while operating under the worst possible ownership situation without a bonafide superstar. He increases his win total EVERY YEAR!!!! Fewest turnovers committed, suffocating defense in the fourth, raising two monsters in the frontcourt, realistic goals to advance further in the playoffs, sweeping recent champions in the regular season. What more do yall want from the man?

Every NBA writer still feels we are underachieving and are too inconsistent. We are increasing our win total every year because our core has improved together just from playing together and experience. Woody is the same coach he was 5 years ago.

He has no offensive gameplan. His players don't seem to listen. He never adjusts to what the other team is doing. That is why we often look horrible in the 2nd half's of games.....the other team adjusts and we don't.

I have watched the Hawks enough on TV and in person to know that Woody is not a good coach. The players are improving.....he is not.

Edited by JackB1

I think that bashing comes from the fact that his coaching style is not sustainable come playoff time. Too predictable and easy to stop. When the game slows down his lack of coaching is exposed greatly!!

Exactly. That stagnant offense is easy to stop in the playoffs. Throw in the fact that his defensive scheme is not really that difficult and doesn't change AT ALL, and I'd say that Woody isn't that good of a coach. All he does is let the players on offense do whatever they want and all we do on the defensive end is switch everything. I see no adjustments whatsoever. I don't think there is anything special in that. However, Woody will prove what he is or what he isn't in the playoffs this year.

The bashing comes from the fact that people don't respect anything that man does. Never have. Everything bad is blamed on him and everything good is attributed to the players doing it themselves or "self-managing" themselves ( I saw that on the AJC blogs ).

Hoopsstats.com data according to efficiency . . . the Hawks have:

#2 ranked backcourt ( despite Bibby's struggles . . . Boston is #1 )

#3 ranked starting lineup ( despite Bibby's and Marvin's struggles . . . Lakers are #1 )

#7 ranked team in the paint ( Mainly due to JJ's floater and our post guys finishing at the rim . . Orlando #1 )

#9 ranked team in the NBA ( Cleveland is #1 )

#13 ranked team out of the paint ( Only because Bibby and Marvin are inconsistent with their jumper . . . Oklahoma City #1 )

# 15 ranked frontcourt ( a little surprising . . then again . . we're only getting consistent quality production from 2 frontcourt players . . .Cleveland ranked #1, because of you know who )

#24 ranked bench ( the 2nd lowest ranking of any current playoff team . . Charlotte is #25 . . San Antonio #1 )

With this fan base though, the positive rankings have nothing to do with him, but the negative rankings have everything to do with him. The truth is, Woody has a hand in both the positive and negative of this team. But there are far more positives than negatives, when looking at the Hawks.

It's funny though.

If a player doesn't develop, it's Woody's fault. If he does develop, he did it on his own.

Edited by northcyde

It's funny though.

If a player doesn't develop, it's Woody's fault. If he does develop, he did it on his own.

EXACTLY! :)

The fact that most of the people on this board watch and analyze every Hawks game and most of the people

on this board don't think Woody is a good coach, Doesn't that mean something?

• Moderators

Not everyone is black or white on Woody. I am happy with the team's overall performance this season but still am going to speak my mind where I see room for improvement or items that I think are going unaddressed. While in past years I was anxious to see him fired, I am now much more comfortable with him in charge of this group.

• Premium Member

Is this a joke post?

Woodson has zero offensive aptitude and is on record as saying he "doesn't give a f*** about offense". He has no offensive strategy AT ALL. Just think about that. We are dependent on our backcourt to call all the plays and run an offense. He makes zero adjustments in a game and we have a bench that has some talent and never gets used. He is the worst head coach I have ever seen and the fact he still has a job is insane.

Woodson is a classic example of an assistant coach promoted due to Peter's Principle and needs to go back to being an assistant coach. I pray we "lose" him this offseason to another team that only sees a record and not the actual coach.

• Premium Member

EXACTLY! :)

The fact that most of the people on this board watch and analyze every Hawks game and most of the people

on this board don't think Woody is a good coach, Doesn't that mean something?

You make a good point. Look you can group me in with everyone else because I too think Woody is a mediocre coach. But I also think that 9 out of 10 coaches in this league are mediocre. D'Antoni for example. Why do people think he's a good coach? What has he done? Ask me he's the offensive version of Woody. And please don't get me started on Don Nelson. This is why I continue to say that the Hawks should keep Woody regardless. What sense would it make to fire 1 so-so coach for another?

Another thing....

I will admit that the Hawks offense is light years better (at times) this year. Never before have I seen Hawks players setting effective picks and players doing so much off-the-ball movement. So for that I will give Woodrow a solid pound.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Woodson is an above average coach in the league. He isn't a creative coach or a HOF coach, but he is above average. I think if the Hawks fired him its very likely they would get someone far worse because they aren't going to spend what it takes to get an outstanding coach.

• Premium Member

You make a good point. Look you can group me in with everyone else because I too think Woody is a mediocre coach. But I also think that 9 out of 10 coaches in this league are mediocre. D'Antoni for example. Why do people think he's a good coach? What has he done? Ask me he's the offensive version of Woody. And please don't get me started on Don Nelson. This is why I continue to say that the Hawks should keep Woody regardless. What sense would it make to fire 1 so-so coach for another?

Another thing....

I will admit that the Hawks offense is light years better (at times) this year. Never before have I seen Hawks players setting effective picks and players doing so much off-the-ball movement. So for that I will give Woodrow a solid pound.

Agree with you on Nelson. Not so much on D'Antoni. Donnie Walsh didn't hire him for nothing. He is a great coach when it comes to getting the most out of the players at his disposal and at making in-game adjustments, and his teams' defense has never been as atrocious as some people seem to think if you adjust for pace, especially considering the mostly terrible defensive players at his disposal. His offense is NOT like Nellie's or Doug Moe's or any of the other coaches whose systems just focus on outrunning the other team. There is much more nuance to his system than to most uptempo coaches' and he is a master at making adjustments, which is why his teams consistently do better than projected and can adjust quickly after injuries and trades.

• Moderators

Agree with you on Nelson. Not so much on D'Antoni. Donnie Walsh didn't hire him for nothing. He is a great coach when it comes to getting the most out of the players at his disposal and at making in-game adjustments, and his teams' defense has never been as atrocious as some people seem to think if you adjust for pace, especially considering the mostly terrible defensive players at his disposal. His offense is NOT like Nellie's or Doug Moe's or any of the other coaches whose systems just focus on outrunning the other team. There is much more nuance to his system than to most uptempo coaches' and he is a master at making adjustments, which is why his teams consistently do better than projected and can adjust quickly after injuries and trades.

This year's Knicks team is on pace to win as many games as the 2006-07 Hawks team with Joe Johnson, #2 Marvin Williams, #17 Josh Smith, #6 Josh Childress, #5 Shelden Williams, and a Zaza who was giving 16/9 per 36 and a 17 PER.