• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Based on Popular vote....

Diesel

• Premium Member

How well would this team do this year... IF all players were in their primes.

Mookie Blaylock.

Joe Johnson

Dominique

Josh Smith

Deke

If we had this team and a bunch of Cunzo Martins, Enis Whatleys, and Doug Edwards coming off the bench, would we win the championship this year?

• Premium Member

Mookie Blaylock.

Joe Johnson

Dominique

Josh Smith

Deke

If we had this team and a bunch of Cunzo Martins, Enis Whatleys, and Doug Edwards coming off the bench, would we win the championship this year?

OR

Give me your best hawk team made up of 5 starters from the poll and 7 reserves who did not make the poll but played at least 2 years in Atlanta.

Mookie Blaylock.

Joe Johnson

Dominique

Josh Smith

Deke

My answer would be H3LL yeah!! I know, I know....the bench?!? The Bulls had a weak bench in their championship runs. They made nobodies, somebodies by getting them playing time with all the blowouts they had. We have our 2-TWO defenders of the fortress...Smoove and Deke...the paint would be on lock...NOBODY intimidated or defended the paint as well as Deke...either a block, contested shot, changed shot or an elbow....we'd have our two scorers/All-Stars at that at the 2 and the 3 (Jordan/Pippen .25/2.0 respectively) along with our penetrating guard who also played defense and passed the ball well....I say,

HELL YEAHHHHH!!

• Premium Member

OR

Give me your best hawk team made up of 5 starters from the poll and 7 reserves who did not make the poll but played at least 2 years in Atlanta.

My team would be:

Mookie Blaylock.

Joe Johnson

Dominique

Josh Smith

Deke

Nazr, Grant Long, Ty Corbin, Ty Lue, Duane Ferrell, Kevin Willis, and Craig Ehlo

With that team, we would be World Champions..

I don't think so. First of all it is unfair to put them all in their primes. When does that ever happen? Second even in their primes you give me a healthy LA, Denver, Cleveland and Boston I could beat that team in a seven game series pretty easy.

• Premium Member

My team would be:

Mookie Blaylock.

Joe Johnson

Dominique

Josh Smith

Deke

Nazr, Grant Long, Ty Corbin, Ty Lue, Duane Ferrell, Kevin Willis, and Craig Ehlo

What's amazing is the truly sick balance that team would have. Offensively, the starting 5 has a distributing PG, a sweet-shooting SG, an off-the-charts scorer SF, a high-flying PF with a couple nice post moves, and a center who could grab O-Rebs all day. Defensively, Mookie and JJ would have to be one of the best defensive backcourts in recent NBA history, and Josh and Deke are two of the best help defenders of the past 20 years. The only weakness would be on-ball defense in the post, but bring in Willis, Long, and/or Nazr, and that's covered (how did Willis get left out of the polls??). My bench would drop Ferrell in favor of Chris Crawford, assuming we're allowed to ignore injuries. If not, then give me LaPhonso Ellis.

Mookie Blaylock.

Joe Johnson

Dominique

Josh Smith

Deke

They would win about 58 games and make a finals push. They still would lack an offensive post threat down low. Deke would probably only play 31MPG or so because he would slow the team down on the offensive end.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Mookie Blaylock.

Joe Johnson

Dominique

Josh Smith

Deke

This team would have great chemistry. Its not like your just throwing together 5 scoreres who need the ball.

You have 3 guys who love playing defense. Mutumbo and Smoove are both elite shot blockers who can rebound and start the break Mookie and JJ can shoot good enough from the perimeter and can both create their own shot.

Mookie has ellite perimeter defense.

Nique is an elite scorer.

JJ is perfect for the Scottie Pippen role.

My team would be:

Mookie Blaylock.

Joe Johnson

Dominique

Josh Smith

Deke

Not bad but I'd take Laettner over Grant Long or Ty Corbin

• Moderators

Not bad but I'd take Laettner over Grant Long or Ty Corbin

Laettner was a starter, not a reserve, though. I am pretty sure there a lot of starters Diesel would take over the reserves he selected like Grant Long (like Kevin Willis).

After looking into his career a little after a discussion with another poster, I'd think Petit would be a better fit.

Blaylock

Johnson

Wilkins

Petit

Mutombo

He did say recent history though and Josh and Mutombo in the middle with Mookie playing poing could lead to us holding lesser teams under 70 points fairly regularly.

• Moderators

He did say recent history though and Josh and Mutombo in the middle with Mookie playing poing could lead to us holding lesser teams under 70 points fairly regularly.

Pettit clearly isn't the recent history Diesel is talking about. Same goes for Pete Maravich, Cliff Hagan, and others. If Pettit was eligible, he would be the first player put on the team. His pedigree is better than Nique's (NBA Champion, Finals MVP, 2-Time MVP, 10 consecutive years first-team All-NBA, etc.)

Ok..so I missed that part about recent history.

Blaylock

Johnson

Wilkins

Malone

Mutombo

With Moses Malone and Dikembe Mutombo, you have a big man duo that rivals the twin towers of the championship Rockets.

• Premium Member

That team would beat the breaks off of A LOT of championship teams that I can think of in recent history. But aren't we forgetting something? Who's coaching?

Lenny or the Czar?

.................lol, or Mike Woodson! HAH!

Mookie Blaylock.

Joe Johnson

Dominique

Josh Smith

Deke

I dont know what kind of shape Mookie is in but I dont think we would get much from Deke and Nique unless we eneter a team Dunkin Donut eating contest.

• Moderators

I dont know what kind of shape Mookie is in but I dont think we would get much from Deke and Nique unless we eneter a team Dunkin Donut eating contest.

We are assuming the players were in their primes.

I do have a question for what "primes" means here, though. I am assuming it means their peak years for the Hawks not their overall prime. That is why I wouldn't want Moses Malone. He would be an automatic pick if we are talking about his true prime years but when he came to the Hawks he was putting up good stats but not having nearly the impact he used to (a bit of a black hole...)

Mookie-Smoove-Deke would be awesome on defense. Their games really would complement each other. The potential problem would be Dominique and JJ co-existing on offense. You would need a strong willed coach to keep everyone in check.