• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford Is 1st in the NBA In 16-23 Foot Jump Shots

BusBoyIsBack

Wow how crazy is this?

For players who play 35+ minutes a game

The stats on the 16-23 foot jumper

http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=%25&type=pg&posi=%25&yr=2010&gp=0&mins=35

Al Horford- 1st in the NBA with 48% from the field

Josh Smith- Last in the NBA with 28% from the field.

LOL I used to tease and say that Josh Smith could be an elite player if he could shoot like Al Horford, man it might be some truth to that.

How crazy is that we have the 1st place and Last place guy?

Edited by BusBoyIsBack
  • Like 1

What's crazier is that Josh Smith could be one of the best; if he could get his perimeter game down. I promise you that. If he could just take shots any where on the floor. He would be scary. He's already a beast. Just imagine if he had perimeter game. :D

He says he works on different things every year. He was hinting earlier this season, that this summer, he will be working on his perimeter game.

What's crazier is that Josh Smith could be one of the best; if he could get his perimeter game down. I promise you that. If he could just take shots any where on the floor. He would be scary. He's already a beast. Just imagine if he had perimeter game. :D

He says he works on different things every year. He was hinting earlier this season, that this summer, he will be working on his perimeter game.

that would be great if he came back with a mid range jumper for next season!

Wow how crazy is this?

For players who play 35+ minutes a game

The stats on the 16-23 foot jumper

http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=%25&type=pg&posi=%25&yr=2010&gp=0&mins=35

Al Horford- 1st in the NBA with 48% from the field

Josh Smith- Last in the NBA with 28% from the field.

LOL I used to tease and say that Josh Smith could be an elite player if he could shoot like Al Horford, man it might be some truth to that.

How crazy is that we have the 1st place and Last place guy?

an whats better is that big al isn't even in his prime yet........by that i mean he hasn't even reached his full potential and he's already this good!

This reminds me of a thread i made about Horford early in his rookie year.

to make a long story short he needs to start taking those 15-18 footers when he is left open. Can he make them consistently? I don't know. Some guys become very good at this shot through practice (amare,Boozer) some don't (Howard, Bogut). I dont know how Horford will do but i know he needs to start taking those shots consistently. Whether he makes them or not at this point is irrelevant. He can't be much worse than Smith.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/267228-horfords-offense/page__hl__Horford__fromsearch__1

Now late in his 3rd year we know he can make them which opens the door for him to be a 15+ ppg scorer. He still needs to take them more often and commit to being a face up player instead of trying to play with his back to the basket.

But the big key is to take and make those midrange shots. He is doing that now and it is starting to show in his numbers. This month he is averaging 16 ppg shooting 59%.

Yeah but after all these years, I think it's time to admit that's just not his forte. He needs to take more shots under the basket. Yeah those numbers definitely say that Horford should be taking more of those shots per game.

Honestly the only time Josh Smith should take a long jumper is if he somehow gets the ball with a couple of seconds left on the shot clock. The odds that he misses a shot from there are near 3 out of 4 vs when he attacks the rim the odds he makes the shot jump up to near 3 out of 4.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/267228-horfords-offense/page__hl__Horford__fromsearch__1

Now late in his 3rd year we know he can make them which opens the door for him to be a 15+ ppg scorer. He still needs to take them more often and commit to being a face up player instead of trying to play with his back to the basket.

But the big key is to take and make those midrange shots. He is doing that now and it is starting to show in his numbers. This month he is averaging 16 ppg shooting 59%.

Yeah he's improved his jumper every year

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Al%20Horford

Obviously not a coincidence. He's put some hard work into that

16-23 feet

2008- 35.0%

2009- 39.0%

2010- 48.0%

What's weird is the 10-15 footer has fallen this year

10-15 feet

2008- 41.0%

2009- 45.0%

2010- 38.0%

He gets both of those percentages up, and look out, we have a darn near offensive juggernaut on our hands

Yeah he's improved his jumper every year

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Al%20Horford

Obviously not a coincidence. He's put some hard work into that

16-23 feet

2008- 35.0%

2009- 39.0%

2010- 48.0%

What's weird is the 10-15 footer has fallen this year

10-15 feet

2008- 41.0%

2009- 45.0%

2010- 38.0%

He gets both of those percentages up, and look out, we have a darn near offensive juggernaut on our hands

I think the problem with the 10-15 foot range is that many of his turnaround jumpers probably are counted in that range. He rarely makes that turnaround fadeaway jumper.

I think I'd rather see Al take that shot than Joe. It seems like Al never misses.

• Premium Member

What's crazier is that Josh Smith could be one of the best; if he could get his perimeter game down. I promise you that. If he could just take shots any where on the floor. He would be scary.

If wishes were horses....

Edited by niremetal

I think the problem with the 10-15 foot range is that many of his turnaround jumpers probably are counted in that range. He rarely makes that turnaround fadeaway jumper.

Wow that's a great point. You're right I actually feel more comfortable when Horford takes that long jumper than that turnaround.

Also here's another interesting stat

http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=%25&type=pg&posi=C&yr=2010&gp=40&mins=30

At Rim

70.7 FG% at rim (2nd to Dwight Howard at 74.2%)

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

One thing Horford really needs to do is throw up a fake once in awhile. He hardly ever does it. This will make it easier for him to score inside and also get to the line more.

Sometimes i can't help but wonder what allthe Hawks coaches actually do.

Al knows his range and limitations........Josh doesn't.

Somebody should mail that Stat to Smoove's house so maybe he will get the message.

I know it's tough to face facts, but Josh doesn't need the jump shot to be effective. Just play from

the elbow in and play around the basket. D. Howard doesn't care about jump shots. I would

rather see Josh work more on his post game than his jump shots.

• Moderators

One thing Horford really needs to do is throw up a fake once in awhile. He hardly ever does it. This will make it easier for him to score inside and also get to the line more.

Sometimes i can't help but wonder what allthe Hawks coaches actually do.

Pump fakes should be in every player's arsenal. I don't know why you would expect the Hawks' coaches to work on that with him, though. It isn't like he is highly coachable or anything.

• Admin

Somebody should mail that Stat to Smoove's house so maybe he will get the message.

I know it's tough to face facts, but Josh doesn't need the jump shot to be effective. Just play from

the elbow in and play around the basket. D. Howard doesn't care about jump shots. I would

He is going to continue to take jump shots (especially at inopportune times). He has no mid range or 3 point range at all but he still continues to throw them up. He needs to

spend his time down in the post area and his game would be so much more effective.

There is a reason he is left open on the perimeter. I just wish he would either drive or pass instead of throwing up the brick.

If Josh has a Twitter page we should flood his page with these stats

Out of NBA players who play 30+ MPG and have played 40+ games (103 players)

30+ MPG 40+ games

http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=%25&type=pg&posi=%25&yr=2010&gp=40&mins=30

Josh Smith

At Rim- 66.1 FG% (23rd in NBA) (out of 103)(4th among PFs)

<10 feet- 38.7 FG% (76th in NBA) (out of 103)

10-15 feet- 27.3 FG% (98th in NBA) (out of 103)

16-23 feet- 28.0 FG% (100th NBA) (out of 103)

Among those who play 35+ MPG

At Rim- 66.1 FG% (10th in the NBA) (2nd among PFs)

<10 feet- 38.7 FG% (7th from last)

10-15 feet- 27.3 FG% (3rd from last)

16-23 feet- 28.0 FG% (LAST PLACE)

In other words, the further Josh Smith goes away from the basket, the worse he gets. Near the basket he is an above average scorer to the 10 to 15 foot and 16 out of 23 range where he is literally in the handful of worst players in the entire league

In other words, there is no justification whatsoever for him taking a jump shot unless it's at the end of the shot clock. When you are literally arguably the worst shooter in the entire league from that range, compared to where you can drive the ball where your numbers are above average for the league overall and elite at your position.

Edited by BusBoyIsBack
  • Like 1

Pump fakes should be in every player's arsenal. I don't know why you would expect the Hawks' coaches to work on that with him, though. It isn't like he is highly coachable or anything.

What do these guys actually do? They have all these coaches yet Josh Smith doesn't even know how badly he is shooting from the perimeter and is still trying to lead the break. Horford never throws up a fake.

smh

What do these guys actually do? They have all these coaches yet Josh Smith doesn't even know how badly he is shooting from the perimeter and is still trying to lead the break. Horford never throws up a fake.

smh

Well Woody has at least tried all these years to get Josh to stop taking jumpers and he has in his defense taken a great deal less jumpers this year which is why for the first time in his career he has a FG% on the good side of 50 for a post player.

But it could be even higher if Josh pretended that he had the shooting range of Dwight Howard.

And Horford has improved his jumper every year which is indicative of his work ethic, but who knows maybe the coaches have something to do with that as well

Edited by BusBoyIsBack