3 simple things that would make Marvin a BEAST!

JTB

Let me start by saying I KNOW Marvin does NOT show any production on a lot of nights though his averages still look pretty good. But I ask................is this Marvin's fault ONLY? I mean yeah he should be blamed mostly for the things that can make him a GOOD player in this league! Of course.............and that's his CONFIDENCE,AGGRESSIVENESS,PHYSICALNESS. Most of you know if he was AGGRESSIVE every game or most games he would be a very good player. I mean it's obvious. Here's the question or mystery that's on my mind though: Marvin plays more AGGRESSIVE when facing stars like LBJ and etc. cause you can see his effort against those type guys but other times against guys like Loul Deng he's NOT AGGRESSIVE at all. (NOTE:when I say aggressive, im talking about being physical) Is that ALL marvin's fault I mean is Woody and the team asking for him to be more physical/aggressive? Why does he feel he only has to try against hue stars like LBJ? or does he feel that his role on the team doesn't matter? What in the world is bringing his confidence down! cause that's all it is ATL. The MAN's confidence is down that's why we see No physicalness or aggressiveness on most games. Why is it that just us Fans seem like we see this and never the analyst or even our own coaching staff! I never heard a analyst or Woody say well Marvin needs to be more physical or aggressive. Who's trying to help this man get over this hump cause he dont Suck! I repeat Marvin dont Suck! He's not confident this season and thats why he isn't playing with any urgency.

Marvin has the skills but his confidence, aggressiveness, and physicalness seems to be holding him back from being productive for us this year! but like I said is anyone even trying to help him get over this slump? I mean damn there is obviously something wrong with Marvin he wasn't like this last season. Not saying he was all out physical but he did show alot more of all 3 that I mentioned last season!

• Moderators

Marvin is not in an offense that will ever develop and feature him here in Atlanta but he has no one to blame other than himself for his lack of aggression. If Smoove was a wallflower on the floor like Marvin, he would be in the same position. Instead, Josh has been assertive and prospered while Marvin usually is just going with the flow and not looking to break out of his limited role.

• Premium Member

After reading your post, I shook my head.

You don't get it.. after 5 years.

First let us define Beast. A Beast is what... a player who is a scorer? A goto guy? Hard to stop. Allstar.

Now, let's look at some beast in the league:

Kevin Durant. Lebron James. Kobe. Melo.

Shaq was a beast.

KG was a beast.

Duncan Was a Beast.

AI was a Beast.

Some nights Joe is a Beast.

Some Night Craw is a Beast.

Does Marvin fit anywhere on this list?

No.

You know why?

A prerequisite for being a beast is that you don't lose your confidence.

Because of that, Marvin will never be a beast.

Those 3 things are nearly impossible to teach if they aren't already somewhat part of your makeup.

Only Marvin can make himself play more physical and aggressive. Confidence is something you either have or don't.

He doesn't seem to have it right now.

Marvin has been a HUGE disappointment for me this year.

• Premium Member

Confidence is not the issue. Marvin just doesn't give a flip.

Marvin is what he is ...........a good role player.

The only way to change what he is would be to have the first succesful brain transplant or if they could re-wire the part of his brain that controls aggression instincts.

Edited by coachx

WizardTinManClose.jpg

Marvin got paid in the off season last year. He's never shown, in 5 years, he can lead a team, or be a "beast" consistently. It's time to accept him for what he is...a good role player on a good team.

• Premium Member

Marvin is what he is ...........a good role player.

The only way to change what he is would be to have the first succesful brain transplant or if they could re-wire the part of his brain that controls aggression instincts.

I don't even know if you can classify him as a "good" role player. How are you assigning Good? A good role player in my mind would bring something the team needs. Right now, Marvin brings nothing. Horf is a good role player. Marvin is just out there.

• Premium Member

I don't even know if you can classify him as a "good" role player. How are you assigning Good? A good role player in my mind would bring something the team needs. Right now, Marvin brings nothing. Horf is a good role player. Marvin is just out there.

Well, there's this thing called "defense," Diesel. I know you're in denial that Marvin does it well, but people who, you know, don't hate on him at every opportunity realize that. Not saying it makes up for his disappearing act on offense, but he's still a very good defender.

Edited by niremetal

3 things Marvin needs to be a beast:

1. Avoid being the clumsiest driver on the planet

2. Grow some cajones and take charge more offensively...be a leader

3. Stay involved in the game even if your offense isn't there

*Please note: these 3 things need to happen on a contract year for Marvin. Sadly, none of these 3 things are within reach.

Either way, the overall skillset is there. He just doesn't have the mental drive with the game of basketball to put it all together. And if he hasn't at this point, he never will. I think he's satisfied just coasting through his NBA career, not doing anything significant. It fits his laid back personality.

• Premium Member

Well, there's this thing called "defense," Diesel. I know you're in denial that Marvin does it well, but people who, you know, don't hate on him at every opportunity realize that. Not saying it makes up for his disappearing act on offense, but he's still a very good defender.

Dude, did you watch Marvin tonight?? I saw him getting punked by Amir Johnson. ON a few plays by Rookie DeMarr Derozen. What did he do against Rookie Austin Daye? Marvin's defense is vastly overrated. He rarely stops anybody. Just because he's better than Mo Evans doesn't make him a good defender. He's an adequate defender. Nothing special. How many votes did he get for Defensive player of the year?

WILL EVERYBODY PLEASE FORGIVE ME OF USING THE WORD BEAST!!! DAMN!!!......THATS MY FAULT I SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT HOW PEOPLE WOULD RESPOND TO THAT................REPLACE THE WORD BEAST WITH GOOD!............TOPIC: 3 SIMPLE THINGS THAT WOULD MAKE MARVIN A GOOD PLAYER!!!

MY BAD!!! WRONG CHOICE OF WORDS OR WORD WHEN I WAS TYPING THIS THREAD UP. I KNOW MARVIN CAN'T BE A BEAST BUT HE CAN BE A GOOD PLAYER!!!

• Premium Member

Dude, did you watch Marvin tonight?? I saw him getting punked by Amir Johnson. ON a few plays by Rookie DeMarr Derozen. What did he do against Rookie Austin Daye? Marvin's defense is vastly overrated. He rarely stops anybody. Just because he's better than Mo Evans doesn't make him a good defender. He's an adequate defender. Nothing special. How many votes did he get for Defensive player of the year?

Not for nothing - but Josh and Al each got "punked" by Amir last night too. The rest of your comments are similarly off-the-mark, since even the best defenders typically get beaten by the man they're guarding a few times a game, even if the man they're guarding is mediocre. Marvin contests pretty much every shot taken by the man he's guarding/switched onto, and rarely gets into foul trouble in the process. That's the mark of a very good defender. I had to laugh at the DPOY comment since many of the league's best defenders don't get votes for that, and the winner of the award usually isn't really the league's best defender.

*shrugs* Everyone knows your opinion, dude. I shouldn't have even fed the fire. :rolleyes:

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

Not for nothing - but Josh and Al each got "punked" by Amir last night too. The rest of your comments are similarly off-the-mark, since even the best defenders typically get beaten by the man they're guarding a few times a game, even if the man they're guarding is mediocre. Marvin contests pretty much every shot taken by the man he's guarding/switched onto, and rarely gets into foul trouble in the process. That's the mark of a very good defender. I had to laugh at the DPOY comment since many of the league's best defenders don't get votes for that, and the winner of the award usually isn't really the league's best defender.

*shrugs* Everyone knows your opinion, dude. I shouldn't have even fed the fire. :rolleyes:

Again. Just because Marvin is better than Smoove man on man, doesn't make him good. You're comparing him to crappy man to man defenders and saying he's good. Relatively speaking, there's more to defense than Josh and Mo Evans. Marvin doesn't bring much more defensively than a whole load of guys who we can bring in. BTW, Josh Smith has gotten votes for DPOY.

Again. Just because Marvin is better than Smoove man on man, doesn't make him good. You're comparing him to crappy man to man defenders and saying he's good. Relatively speaking, there's more to defense than Josh and Mo Evans. Marvin doesn't bring much more defensively than a whole load of guys who we can bring in. BTW, Josh Smith has gotten votes for DPOY.

Honestly man I would have to disagree with you saying marvin isn't a good defender! He's actually pretty decent at the defense part! To add to it everytime we played the cavs I loved the defense Marvin played on LBJ! of course he didn't shut him down but nobody does in the NBA. Anyways bottom line is that Marvin played some good *ss D on a top player LBJ this year but it seems he only brings this passion of play when facing huge stars! To me Marvin's main problems are rebounding and scoring he has no passion, no confidence, no hustle, no nothing when it comes to this, instead Marvin has a every once in a while good game when he gets a ton of rebounds and points or at least it look that way!

Smoove is 10 X the defensive player marvin is, that's not up for debate, with that being said .... When I look at Smoove and Al. I see players who want to be great, who want to continue to get better. When I look at Marvin, I see someone who is confused. He has not shown me anything, that would lead me to believe he can become a BEAST..

• Premium Member

Smoove is 10 X the defensive player marvin is, that's not up for debate, with that being said .... When I look at Smoove and Al. I see players who want to be great, who want to continue to get better. When I look at Marvin, I see someone who is confused. He has not shown me anything, that would lead me to believe he can become a BEAST..

I wouldn't say Smoove is better than Marvin. For whatever reason, Smoove is not a great one on one defender. Marvin is not great either. Woody knows that we don't have good defense. That's why we play the switching defense. It hides our flaws because we're not chasing people or playing man on man. I hate it because it gives the offense the matchup that they want. I'd prefer a junk zone defense like a triangle and two. Because Bibby is not going to keep up with his man. Let Joe and Marvin be the floaters and Josh be a designated helper/double team. Keep Bibby where he's at near the top. I think this would work much better. A stationary 1 with a fast trap on the ball at the 1, 4, and 5 positions.

I wouldn't say Smoove is better than Marvin. For whatever reason, Smoove is not a great one on one defender. Marvin is not great either. Woody knows that we don't have good defense. That's why we play the switching defense. It hides our flaws because we're not chasing people or playing man on man. I hate it because it gives the offense the matchup that they want. I'd prefer a junk zone defense like a triangle and two. Because Bibby is not going to keep up with his man. Let Joe and Marvin be the floaters and Josh be a designated helper/double team. Keep Bibby where he's at near the top. I think this would work much better. A stationary 1 with a fast trap on the ball at the 1, 4, and 5 positions.

:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

You just got half the board going. "What the hell did he just say" and start looking up youtube videos of a triangle+2.

In 2 days you'll have Woody sitting next to Larry Drew going "LD, can you go over this fast trap on the ball thing again? I'm having trouble understanding how we do that when we're supposed to be switching man anywhere above the 3 point line". Then Woody would rub his forehead real hard and kill any replacement eyebrow growth he might have going on.

Edited by thecampster