• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Comparing our Bigs to other team's Bigs in weight and height

JTB

I decided to take upon myself and compare EVERY teams big man in size with ours. Reason I am doing this cause many want to give up one of our Bigs, Smith or Horford in a trade or whatever because the fact that YOU think he's too small! So lets find out if you are right about Smith and Horord's size compared to other teams Bigs. To do this I am going to use NBA.com. The reason I am using NBA.com is because I would think that they would have the right size, stats, etc. for every player in the NBA and then it's their own website so I know they stress for it to be very accurate. With that said take a look below:

Again info comes straight from NBA.com (Heights and Weights) & remember we are only comparing Bigs who actually matter and play! oh injured are included!

According to NBA.com Josh Smith is listed at height 6'9, weight 240lbs/ Al Horford is listed at height 6'10,weight 245lbs

TEAMS/PLAYER: (PF,C) power forwards are listed then center

Boston Celtics

Garnett 6'11/253lbs

Perkins 6'10/280lbs

New Jersey Nets

YI 7'0/250lbs

Lopez 7'0/265lbs

New York Knicks

Harrington 6'9/250lbs

Lee 6'9/250lbs

Philadelphia 76ers

Brand 6'9/254lbs

Dalembert 6'11/250lbs

Toronto Raptors

Bosh 6'10/230

Bargani 7'0/250lbs

Chicago Bulls

Gibson 6'9/225lbs

Miller 7'0/261lbs

Noah 6'11/232lbs

Cleveland Cavaliers

Jamison 6'9/235lbs

Hickson 6'9/242lbs

Varejo 6'11 260lbs

Shaq 7'1 325lbs

Detroit Pistons

Villenau 6'11/232lbs

Wallace 6'9/240lbs

Indiana Pacers

Murphy 6'11/245lbs

Hibbert 7'2/278lbs

Milwaukee Bucks

Mbah a Moute 6'8/230lbs

Thomas 6'9/230lbs

Bogut 7'0/260lbs

Charlotte Bobcats

Diaw 6'8/235lbs

Ratliff 6'10/325lbs

Mohammed 6'10/250lbs

Chandler 7'1/235lbs

Miami Heat

Beasley 6'10/235lbs

Haslem 6'8/235lbs

Oneal 6'11/255lbs

Orlando Magic

Lewis 6'10/230lbs

Bass 6'8/250lbs

Gortat 6'11/240lbs

Howard 6'11/265lbs

Washington Wizards

Blatche 6'11/248lbs

McGee 7'0/252lbs

Dallas Mavericks

Nowitzki 7'0/245lbs

Dampier 6'11/265lbs

Haywood 7'0/263lbs

Houston Rockets

Scola 6'9/245lbs

Hayes 6'6/238lbs

Yao 7'6/310lbs

Memphis Grizzlies

Randolph 6'9/260lbs

M.Gasol 7'1/265lbs

New Orleans Hornets

West 6'9/240lbs

Okafor 6'10/265lbs

San Antonio Spurs

Blair 6'7/265lbs

Duncan 6'11/260lbs

McDyess 6'9/245lbs

Golden State Warriors

Toliver 6'10/250lbs

Turiaf 6'9/243lbs

Biedrins 6'11/240lbs

Los Angeles Clippers

Gooden 6'10/250lbs

Jodan 6'11/250lbs

Kaman 7'0/265lbs

Los Angeles Lakers

Odom 6'10/230lbs

Gasol 7'0/250lbs

Bynum 7'0/285lbs

Phoenix Suns

Stoudamire 6'10/249lbs

Lopez 7'0/255lbs

Frye 6'11/245lbs

Sacramento Kings

Landry 6'9/248lbs

Thompson 6'11/250lbs

Denver Nuggets

Martin 6'9/240lbs

Anderson 6'10/228lbs

Nene 6'11/250lbs

Minnesota Timberwolves

Jefferson 6'10/265lbs

Love 6'10/260lbs

Oklahoma City Thunder

Ibaka 6'10/235lbs

Green 6'9/235lbs

Collison 6'10/255lbs

Kristic 7'0/240lbs

Thomas 6'10/260lbs

Portland Trail Blazers

Aldridge 6'11/240lbs

Camby 6'11/235lbs

Oden 7'0/285lbs

Utah Jazz

Millsap 6'8/250lbs

Boozer 6'9/266lbs

Okur 6'11/263lbs

Looking at this list I went back and seperated the postions by heights and weights compared and them to smith and horford to see if they were larger or Taller than smith and horford at their positions of course. Check it out:

Josh Smith:

__15_____ Power forwards were Taller than Smith that were starters. ___17_______Power forwards weighed more than Smith that were starters. ____12_____ of these players were both Taller and Bigger than Smith that were starters at Power forward. At Power Forward the avg. Height looks to be___6'9______ , that's Smith height and the average Weight looks to be ___245lbs______, thats ONLY 5 pounds heavier than Smith. Remember Josh Smith Height is 6'9 and his Weight is 240lbs.

If Height and Weight size was your reason for wanting to get rid of Smith thats not a very good reason cause by the looks of it Smith's Height is on avg. for power forwards today and his Weight size is only 5 pounds lighter than the average PF weight. Anyways the point is Smith is NOT undersized at PF to those who think Smith is, he actually fits right in and remember every player that is either taller, bigger, or both than Smith doesn't mean they are better than him!

Al Horford:

__23_____ Centers were Taller than Horford that were starters but only by a inch most of them. ____24______Centers weighed more than Horford that were starters. ___21______ of these players were both Taller and Bigger than Horford that were starters at Centers. At Centers the avg. Height looks to be___6'11______ ,which is ONLY a inch on Horford against most centers and the average Weight looks to be ___253______. Remember Al Horford Height is 6'10 and his Weight is 245lbs.

For those who want to trade Horford cause of Height, you are kidding yourself! Horford is 6'10 and most of the rest of the NBA league avg. center height is 6'11. For those who wanted to trade Horford cause of Weight, you have a great debate here! I mean clearly he is undersized! I mean 24 other starting Centers weigh more than him!, that's damn near the whole NBA Lead! and then 21 starting NBA centers are Bigger and Taller than him! I mean damn man! but hey with all that said to those who want to trade Horford away cause of Size I cant debate with you on that but Im going to leave you with this to think about. Isn't it amazing that Horford damn near the smallest Center in the NBA got to the all-star game and had such a productive season. It makes you wonder......are those guys who are bigger or taller than Horford really that good? I mean we know Howard, Duncan, and Shaq are good but compared to the other average players that played center, their size didn't seem to bother horford cause it's fair to say Horford was going to be undersized against most of his opponents so in reality it's just the elite Big men that Horford hasn't played his best against and all most all of those elite big men are taller and bigger than horford but so is the average center in the lead.

I wouldn't give up neither Smith or Horford at this stage unless we get a really good trade. I say we just need a very very decent center sixth man like Haywood and we will be straight!.oh and keep zaza!

Edited by JTB

I decided to take upon myself and compare EVERY teams big man in size with ours. Reason I am doing this cause many want to give up one of our Bigs, Smith or Horford in a trade or whatever because the fact that YOU think he's too small! So lets find out if you are right about Smith and Horord's size compared to other teams Bigs. To do this I am going to use NBA.com. The reason I am using NBA.com is because I would think that they would have the right size, stats, etc. for every player in the NBA and then it's their own website so I know they stress for it to be very accurate. With that said take a look below:

Again info comes straight from NBA.com (Heights and Weights) & remember we are only comparing Bigs who actually matter and play! oh injured are included!

According to NBA.com Josh Smith is listed at height 6'9, weight 240lbs/ Al Horford is listed at height 6'10,weight 245lbs

TEAMS/PLAYER: (PF,C) power forwards are listed then center

Boston Celtics

Garnett 6'11/253lbs

Perkins 6'10/280lbs

New Jersey Nets

YI 7'0/250lbs

Lopez 7'0/265lbs

New York Knicks

Harrington 6'9/250lbs

Lee 6'9/250lbs

Philadelphia 76ers

Brand 6'9/254lbs

Dalembert 6'11/250lbs

Toronto Raptors

Bosh 6'10/230

Bargani 7'0/250lbs

Chicago Bulls

Gibson 6'9/225lbs

Miller 7'0/261lbs

Noah 6'11/232lbs

Cleveland Cavaliers

Jamison 6'9/235lbs

Hickson 6'9/242lbs

Varejo 6'11 260lbs

Shaq 7'1 325lbs

Detroit Pistons

Villenau 6'11/232lbs

Wallace 6'9/240lbs

Indiana Pacers

Murphy 6'11/245lbs

Hibbert 7'2/278lbs

Milwaukee Bucks

Mbah a Moute 6'8/230lbs

Thomas 6'9/230lbs

Bogut 7'0/260lbs

Charlotte Bobcats

Diaw 6'8/235lbs

Ratliff 6'10/325lbs

Mohammed 6'10/250lbs

Chandler 7'1/235lbs

Miami Heat

Beasley 6'10/235lbs

Haslem 6'8/235lbs

Oneal 6'11/255lbs

Orlando Magic

Lewis 6'10/230lbs

Bass 6'8/250lbs

Gortat 6'11/240lbs

Howard 6'11/265lbs

Washington Wizards

Blatche 6'11/248lbs

McGee 7'0/252lbs

Dallas Mavericks

Nowitzki 7'0/245lbs

Dampier 6'11/265lbs

Haywood 7'0/263lbs

Houston Rockets

Scola 6'9/245lbs

Hayes 6'6/238lbs

Yao 7'6/310lbs

Memphis Grizzlies

Randolph 6'9/260lbs

M.Gasol 7'1/265lbs

New Orleans Hornets

West 6'9/240lbs

Okafor 6'10/265lbs

San Antonio Spurs

Blair 6'7/265lbs

Duncan 6'11/260lbs

McDyess 6'9/245lbs

Golden State Warriors

Toliver 6'10/250lbs

Turiaf 6'9/243lbs

Biedrins 6'11/240lbs

Los Angeles Clippers

Gooden 6'10/250lbs

Jodan 6'11/250lbs

Kaman 7'0/265lbs

Los Angeles Lakers

Odom 6'10/230lbs

Gasol 7'0/250lbs

Bynum 7'0/285lbs

Phoenix Suns

Stoudamire 6'10/249lbs

Lopez 7'0/255lbs

Frye 6'11/245lbs

Sacramento Kings

Landry 6'9/248lbs

Thompson 6'11/250lbs

Denver Nuggets

Martin 6'9/240lbs

Anderson 6'10/228lbs

Nene 6'11/250lbs

Minnesota Timberwolves

Jefferson 6'10/265lbs

Love 6'10/260lbs

Oklahoma City Thunder

Ibaka 6'10/235lbs

Green 6'9/235lbs

Collison 6'10/255lbs

Kristic 7'0/240lbs

Thomas 6'10/260lbs

Portland Trail Blazers

Aldridge 6'11/240lbs

Camby 6'11/235lbs

Oden 7'0/285lbs

Utah Jazz

Millsap 6'8/250lbs

Boozer 6'9/266lbs

Okur 6'11/263lbs

Looking at this list I went back and seperated the postions by heights and weights compared and them to smith and horford to see if they were larger or Taller than smith and horford at their positions of course. Check it out:

Josh Smith:

__15_____ Power forwards were Taller than Smith that were starters. ___17_______Power forwards weighed more than Smith that were starters. ____12_____ of these players were both Taller and Bigger than Smith that were starters at Power forward. At Power Forward the avg. Height looks to be___6'9______ , that's Smith height and the average Weight looks to be ___245lbs______, thats ONLY 5 pounds heavier than Smith. Remember Josh Smith Height is 6'9 and his Weight is 240lbs.

If Height and Weight size was your reason for wanting to get rid of Smith thats not a very good reason cause by the looks of it Smith's Height is on avg. for power forwards today and his Weight size is only 5 pounds lighter than the average PF weight. Anyways the point is Smith is NOT undersized at PF to those who think Smith is, he actually fits right in and remember every player that is either taller, bigger, or both than Smith doesn't mean they are better than him!

Al Horford:

__23_____ Centers were Taller than Horford that were starters but only by a inch most of them. ____24______Centers weighed more than Horford that were starters. ___21______ of these players were both Taller and Bigger than Horford that were starters at Centers. At Centers the avg. Height looks to be___6'11______ ,which is ONLY a inch on Horford against most centers and the average Weight looks to be ___253______. Remember Al Horford Height is 6'10 and his Weight is 245lbs.

For those who want to trade Horford cause of Height, you are kidding yourself! Horford is 6'10 and most of the rest of the NBA league avg. center height is 6'11. For those who wanted to trade Horford cause of Weight, you have a great debate here! I mean clearly he is undersized! I mean 24 other starting Centers weigh more than him!, that's damn near the whole NBA Lead! and then 21 starting NBA centers are Bigger and Taller than him! I mean damn man! but hey with all that said to those who want to trade Horford away cause of Size I cant debate with you on that but Im going to leave you with this to think about. Isn't it amazing that Horford damn near the smallest Center in the NBA got to the all-star game and had such a productive season. It makes you wonder......are those guys who are bigger or taller than Horford really that good? I mean we know Howard, Duncan, and Shaq are good but compared to the other average players that played center, their size didn't seem to bother horford cause it's fair to say Horford was going to be undersized against most of his opponents so in reality it's just the elite Big men that Horford hasn't played his best against and all most all of those elite big men are taller and bigger than horford but so is the average center in the lead.

I wouldn't give up neither Smith or Horford at this stage unless we get a really good trade. I say we just need a very very decent center sixth man like Haywood and we will be straight!.oh and keep zaza!

Height and Weight aren't everything. It's also about standing reach, body proportion, etc. Where we have an advantage is our athletic ability is the highest for a front court in the league. The disadvantage is B. Lopez, Howard, Shaq, and Bynum. We can't contain them.

I too believe we should keep them unless we find something we can't pass on. Talent wise, Horford is better than all centers other than Howard(Not the position but in terms of overall ability). At PF, he's better than everyone except for Dirk and Gasol. Yes, I am saying he's better than Bosh and Amare.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

Horford isn't 6'10. I do agree that he would be one of the best power forwards easily in this league. Also, when he played against Bosh this year, Bosh wasn't strong enough to keep Al from getting right to the front of the rim. I don't think many 4s in the league can keep him from doing that. That's what I like about Al at the 4, not only can he face up, but he can back guys down for high percentage shots consistently (bully ball if you want to call it that).

Edited by Jody23

Horford isn't 6'10. I do agree that he would be one of the best power forwards easily in this league. Also, when he played against Bosh this year, Bosh wasn't strong enough to keep Al from getting right to the front of the rim. I don't think many 4s in the league can keep him from doing that. That's what I like about Al at the 4, not only can he face up, but he can back guys down for high percentage shots consistently (bully ball if you want to call it that).

The problem with Smoove at the 4 is he isn't "physical" enough to play defense at that position. I kind of question his upperbody strength to some extent as well.

Think the size difference can better be to our advantage on offense where their quickness can be used but on defense they tend to over power us.

I think are skill is our biggest strength. Smith is a skilled offensive player, and Horford is a very skilled offensive player. No team has better talent combination in the front court than us.

I appreciate you taking the time to put together these stats but I believe you need to make the distinction between "average" and "elite.". The elite teams in the league have a clear size advantage over the hawks.

I agree but if you look at it every team's center is bigger than horford yet horford dominates alot of these guys so really i dont want to blame it on size but the talent of the centers on the elite teams are the problem. cause im confused that horford would make a comment about us needing another center if he's talking size cause like i said horford is smaller than most centers in weight and shorter or at the same height of many centers but he doesn't get destroyed by all these centers! Look at it this way zaza is 6'11/275lbs according to nba.com so he's bigger than howard as far as weight goes but yet we all know howard would destroy him, so besides size we also just need a flat out talented center, size wont get it! we need a skilled player with atleast the average size at center who's willing to come off our bench!

I think 99% of the board is in agreement with that. Only pronlem is 12 team will be offering Heywood the MLE and at least 1 of the 6 teams under the salary cap will offer him more then the MLE. Point being.........the Hawks have an very slim chance at Heywood. No need holding your breat hfor him.

Heywood is 10 / 10 / 2 center. Those ghuys don't grow on trees. Saying "we just need" a guy like him makes it sound like that is an easy fix but its not.

The only reasons people consider trading Smith has nothing to do with his physical attributes. Its his mental attributes, or lack there of, that drive us all nuts !

I personaly can't stand to watch him act like a 12 year old spoiled brat crying to referees and refusing to run the court to play defense.

Think the size difference can better be to our advantage on offense where their quickness can be used but on defense they tend to over power us.

I agree with this as well but it shouldnt be alot of pf's over powering smith cause he's damn near the same size of most of them and then some of the better pf's arent even bigger than smith! like jamison,d.west,rashard lewis they are about the same size of smith! now horford on the other hand yeah many will over power him at center but with the stats horford puts up it seems like it not even obvious until he plays a elite center like howard.

I think 99% of the board is in agreement with that. Only pronlem is 12 team will be offering Heywood the MLE and at least 1 of the 6 teams under the salary cap will offer him more then the MLE. Point being.........the Hawks have an very slim chance at Heywood. No need holding your breat hfor him.

Heywood is 10 / 10 / 2 center. Those ghuys don't grow on trees. Saying "we just need" a guy like him makes it sound like that is an easy fix but its not.

The only reasons people consider trading Smith has nothing to do with his physical attributes. Its his mental attributes, or lack there of, that drive us all nuts !

I personaly can't stand to watch him act like a 12 year old spoiled brat crying to referees and refusing to run the court to play defense.

that will change with a good coach hopefully. i think avery can change this team alot. an i pretty much figured heywood would be hard for us to get.

JTB . . . exactly. Just adding a big man to the mix isn't enough to trade either Horford or Smith. It has to be a guy with talent, if he's going to be a starter. If not, then you keep both Horford and Smith, and see if you can find a guy who can play at least 20 minutes a night. And if it helps balance out the team, then start him, but let the Smith - Horford combo finish games. Teams like San Antonio ( Nesterovic ), Minnesota ( Ervin "not Magic" Johnson ), and even the current LA Lakers ( Bynum ) all used big centers that they initially started in games, only to bring a more talented PF off the bench to play alongisde their other talented power forward.

But the size issue IS an issue. A major issue. Like gsuteke said, the elite teams all have size and bulk on their frontlines. And most of those guys are better than your average "stiff" center. And the problem with our frontline is that they have to play tough every game. Horford plays tough, but is still overmatched at center vs the better centers in the league. Smoove plays tough when he wants, but he doesn't like to mix it up at times.

For the Horford - Smoove combo to reach maximum potential, they have to play bigger and tougher. If they don't, then they'll only be a good duo instead of a great one.

You say "on average looks to be" so in other words you are guessing at what the average is?

yeah that was my averages when i was looking through all the players, i could be wrong but im very sure that im close to accurate.

yeah that was my averages when i was looking through all the players, i could be wrong but im very sure that im close to accurate.

I did a similar analysis to this at the beginning of the season for the Hawks main competition going into the season, but I did it looking across all starters' heights/weights and then for all F-Cs. Data was taken from NBA.com (if I remember correctly):

Atlanta

1. Avg. Starters height = 78.6"

2. Avg. Starters weight= 224

3. F-C Avg. height = 82"

4. F-C Avg. weight = 250

Miami

1. = 77.6"

2. = 220.6

3. = 78.9"

4. = 241.1

Indy

1. = 77.7"

2. = 221.8

3. = 78.6"

4. = 244.8

DC

1.= 78.6"

2.= 217

3.= 81.3"

4.= 238.5

Philly

1.= 78.2"

2.= 220.4

3.= 80"

4.= 242.3

Boston

1.=78.4

2.=220.6

3.=81.8

4.=248.4

Looks like I didn't bother with Cleveland because they were so much bigger and better. I think this was in response to a post that said Atlanta had the smallest starters in the NBA, or in the East.

I did a similar analysis to this at the beginning of the season for the Hawks main competition going into the season, but I did it looking across all starters' heights/weights and then for all F-Cs. Data was taken from NBA.com (if I remember correctly):

Atlanta

1. Avg. Starters height = 78.6"

2. Avg. Starters weight= 224

3. F-C Avg. height = 82"

4. F-C Avg. weight = 250

Miami

1. = 77.6"

2. = 220.6

3. = 78.9"

4. = 241.1

Indy

1. = 77.7"

2. = 221.8

3. = 78.6"

4. = 244.8

DC

1.= 78.6"

2.= 217

3.= 81.3"

4.= 238.5

Philly

1.= 78.2"

2.= 220.4

3.= 80"

4.= 242.3

Boston

1.=78.4

2.=220.6

3.=81.8

4.=248.4

Looks like I didn't bother with Cleveland because they were so much bigger and better. I think this was in response to a post that said Atlanta had the smallest starters in the NBA, or in the East.

Marivn and JJ are big for their position. I think when ppl say we are small, they are talking about the front court. When ppl say the back court is small, they say that team has small guards like GS.

Marivn and JJ are big for their position. I think when ppl say we are small, they are talking about the front court. When ppl say the back court is small, they say that team has small guards like GS.

Agree. JJ and Marvin make up the difference in average sizes for the team. The reality is that the Hawks a somewhat height challenged but do OK in weight. I think the analysis in the original post does show that Horford is probably too light to survive at center.

In all the Hawks just need a guy to be the guy on this team. This doesn't just mean being the main scorer, but also the guy that everyone on the team respects and plays hard for. Coaches can make you play hard for a while, but it is going to be your teammates that ultimately make the difference. Jordan, Bird, Magic, and now Kobe and Wade seem to be those types of guys. JJ isn't that sort of guy for the Hawks. I don't think Horford has the talent to be that sort of guy. Josh could be if he gets rid of sour beer face Josh and plays mature, fundamental basketball.

I appreciate you taking the time to put together these stats but I believe you need to make the distinction between "average" and "elite.". The elite teams in the league have a clear size advantage over the hawks.

Bingo! If all we want to be is average then mission accomplished! We have to excel at a minimum of three positions to even get close to elite. So far we only excel at SG. Horf appears to be on the verge of getting there.......but Josh just kills us with his all or nothing effort. Marvin kills us because he disappeared. PG kills us because we did not have one in play this season. Craw helps but he is truly a tweener and scorer only.