• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No Interviews for Izzo?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

I'm not a big fan of college coaches coming into the NBA, especially taking over perennial playoff teams. But if there was one I'd at least interview for consideration it'd be Tom Izzo.

He along with several other prime NCAA coaches are reported to be candidates in Chicago and Cleveland (generally in pursuit of LeBron). And of course, he came close but turned down an offer from the Hawks back around 2000 (good call, Tom).

Now Izzo, fo shizzo, would command much more dough these days. The fact that he's not even on the Hawks' shortlist tells me not simply that the ASG is cheap, but moreso that the candidates being interviewed, specifically Avery, must not be asking for much money at all.

Anyone else believe it would be worth the trouble to interview Izzo (and, pay him his worth if he proves to be the best candidate)?

~lw3

• Admin

I'm not a big fan of college coaches coming into the NBA, especially taking over perennial playoff teams. But if there was one I'd at least interview for consideration it'd be Tom Izzo.

He along with several other prime NCAA coaches are reported to be candidates in Chicago and Cleveland (generally in pursuit of LeBron). And of course, he came close but turned down an offer from the Hawks back around 2000 (good call, Tom).

Now Izzo, fo shizzo, would command much more dough these days. The fact that he's not even on the Hawks' shortlist tells me not simply that the ASG is cheap, but moreso that the candidates being interviewed, specifically Avery, must not be asking for much money at all.

Anyone else believe it would be worth the trouble to interview Izzo (and, pay him his worth if he proves to be the best candidate)?

~lw3

There is not a lot of good transistion of college coach to NBA coach. The only who ever comes to mind is Larry Brown. It is just a different game

• Moderators

I concur with y'all in general, but why are the top-tier names (Coach K, Izzo, Pitino, Calipari) being bandied about by teams that believe they're just a LeBron away from NBA title contention? I find it hard to imagine that these teams courting LeBron know something about these college coaches that Sund and the ASG don't. Why would Izzo be good enough to interview for Cleveland, or Chicago, but not Atlanta?

Does LeBron, a player with no organized college ball experience, even believe a coach with mostly college credentials can make a difference in where he should go? To be fair, most of these college candidates have Team USA experience, but even that is a different animal than the NBA.

~lw3

Its prolly just a bad superstition I have but after Lon Kruger I dont want to pay high dollar to any college coach. Suppose asg payed big money for him long term, you know he is going to fufill that contract ( unless he wants to leave) because they arent going to pay him while he is not here. If he cant translate to the nba we would be stuck with that for 4 or 5 years.

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member
why are the top-tier names (Coach K, Izzo, Pitino, Calipari) being bandied about by teams that believe they're just a LeBron away from NBA title contention?

I think it says more about the national sports media's obsession with college sports than anything else.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Izzo is a master at getting his guys to play above their collective talent level.

• Premium Member

I remember we talked to him back in the day when we were looking at a coach and he wasn't interested. I doubt things have changed.

c'mon...You honestly think he wouldn't jump at the opportunity to coach the great Josh Smith?

• Moderators

I want nothing to do with any college coach other than Izzo. I would bring him in for an interview for sure. The other elite college coaches win as much due to superior talent as getting the most out of that talent. Izzo is a master tactician and motivator at the college level and does not have the ego-driven personality that goes with most elite college coaches.