• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

790 says Avery getting a 3rd interview!

HawkItus

Interesting.

Cooksey said Johnson has scheduled a third meeting with the Hawks, who fired Mike Woodson after being ousted from the playoffs two weeks ago. But Atlanta's budget probably can't compete with that of the Nets, whose new billionaire owner, Mikhail Prokhorov, reportedly was prepared to offer Mike Krzyzewski between $12 million and $15 million before Krzyzewski said he isn't interested in leaving Duke. Johnson made more than $4 million a year with Dallas.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/05/28/2010-05-28_avery_hopes_to_be_caught_up_in_nets.html#ixzz0pF0fRtH5

Edited by sultanofatl

The Nets aren't signing a coach till July.

• Premium Member

If they've done their home work, it shouldn't take this long or this many interviews on one candidate to make an informed decision. That leads me to question what the Hawks are really up to. Are they stalling or what?

If they've done their home work, it shouldn't take this long or this many interviews on one candidate to make an informed decision. That leads me to question what the Hawks are really up to. Are they stalling or what?

Having an interview with the GM and then a separate meeting with the owner(s) isn't terribly uncommon but a 3rd interview definitely seems out of the norm.

I'm wondering if maybe they asked AJ (and possibly Casey) to put together a detailed plan of what they'd do as the coach with regard to offensive and defensive systems, who they'd like as assistants as well as their thoughts on personnel moves that they would make this offseason.

It would definitely be odd to me if either coach had a 3rd interview and wasn't hired very soon after though.

Having an interview with the GM and then a separate meeting with the owner(s) isn't terribly uncommon but a 3rd interview definitely seems out of the norm.

I'm wondering if maybe they asked AJ (and possibly Casey) to put together a detailed plan of what they'd do as the coach with regard to offensive and defensive systems, who they'd like as assistants as well as their thoughts on personnel moves that they would make this offseason.

It would definitely be odd to me if either coach had a 3rd interview and wasn't hired very soon after though.

This coaching search really shows the difference in Blank and the ASG. Blank hired his GM after doing a web-cam interview. Sund takes 3 interviews with a guy that he should be pretty familiar with. It may be as you suggest Dol, that the owners are also meeting with Avery. My thought was that they are still working out the power structure between Sund and Avery.

The Nets aren't signing a coach till July.

I do not see that happening; unless there is some collusion with Riley or some other signed HOF coach. To wait that long is going to leave them with everyones 2nd choice. Just do not see it without a conspiracy in place; and I do not like conspiracy theories unless its in a movie LOL

I do not see that happening; unless there is some collusion with Riley or some other signed HOF coach. To wait that long is going to leave them with everyones 2nd choice. Just do not see it without a conspiracy in place; and I do not like conspiracy theories unless its in a movie LOL

There vying for Lebron, I don't know if they will make a move before then.

• Premium Member

Doesn't Sund's disinterest in moving as quickly as possible suggest to you that he suspects he may have another candidate eventually... I'm putting that together with the rumors that I've read suggesting that Doc is leaving Boston regardless after their season's done. (Perhaps this has been discussed in another thread that I've overlooked... sorry if that's the case.)

There vying for Lebron, I don't know if they will make a move before then.

I think Lebron is in for a wakeup call. Cleveland bent over backwards to give him everything he asked for and all he did was act like a child. Most owners do not take orders from players; especially players who behave like him. He reminds me of a calmer version of Artest to be honest. Now if ihe acted more like Kobe; saying things behind closed doors and acting like a professional on the court; he would be viewed as professional.

Kobe gets his way in LA; but he does not make LA look foolish for doing so. A couple of teams will deal with LeBrons antics just like teams were willing to deal with Rasheed and Artest. But I do not think most will let him pick the coach unless said coach is a proven winner.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

Doesn't Sund's disinterest in moving as quickly as possible suggest to you that he suspects he may have another candidate eventually... I'm putting that together with the rumors that I've read suggesting that Doc is leaving Boston regardless after their season's done. (Perhaps this has been discussed in another thread that I've overlooked... sorry if that's the case.)

I heard the same rumors and that would be nice.

However, I also hear that this may be Stan Van Gundy's swan sung if he loses to Boston. Chris Webber capped it off by saying that the players have lost trust in him. It was rumored that the master of panick was on a short leash. If that were the case, an Orlando opening would be perfect for Doc since his children live in Orlando. However, things have changes since both of those things came out. Namely Boston beat Cleveland and Orlando came back from 3-0.

• Like 1

I heard the same rumors and that would be nice.

However, I also hear that this may be Stan Van Gundy's swan sung if he loses to Boston. Chris Webber capped it off by saying that the players have lost trust in him. It was rumored that the master of panick was on a short leash. If that were the case, an Orlando opening would be perfect for Doc since his children live in Orlando. However, things have changes since both of those things came out. Namely Boston beat Cleveland and Orlando came back from 3-0.

SVG isn't going anywhere now that Orlando has fought back and even though I thought I was crazy when I predicted that Orlando would come back and win the series while down 3-0 I definitely think that they're going to win the next 2 and it'll be Doc getting the axe.

• Premium Member

SVG isn't going anywhere now that Orlando has fought back and even though I thought I was crazy when I predicted that Orlando would come back and win the series while down 3-0 I definitely think that they're going to win the next 2 and it'll be Doc getting the axe.

Doc won't get the axe. Doc will leave if anything. However, I don't think Orlando is coming back unless Stern puts the word in. It's really sad what the league has done in this series. I know that they want to make it competitive and I know that there's more revenue made if it goes longer... But damn? Technical fouls that aren't technical fouls that lead to key players being put out of the game.. then later, the NBA comes back and said... opps, we goofed. Or howabout Howard's elbow throwing allowed? Round 1, vs. Charlotte he was not allowed to throw the elbow. Against us.. Free reign. First 3 games against Boston it was mildly called. Now... the refs have gone blind again.

Jeez I couldn't have put the snakebite on Orlando much quicker than I did ... but who could predict Nate freakin Robinson actually doing something in the series?? I had actually forgotten about him since I haven't watched any non-Hawks game in the playoffs but looking at his game log makes me wonder why Doc hasn't played him more as he's a terrific counter-punch to Rondo.