• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mark Bradley hits the nail on the head with a bowling ball

NJHAWK

• Premium Member
Stan Kasten, once the Hawks’ general manager, used to say: “If you’re going to make a change, make a change.” The current Hawks had the chance to do it and passed. They found their new head coach in an assistant who has worked here for six seasons, an assistant whose most persuasive argument was, in essence, “Mike Woodson never listened to me.”

I stopped reading at Stan Kasten

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2010/06/14/given-the-chance-to-change-the-hawks-opt-only-to-tweak/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

Perhaps the best thing Bradley has ever written imho. An honest assesment that is not sugar coated. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

He forgot to mention Fratello and Riley as well. Point being there is just as many recent HOF coaches who were promoted from within as assistants who were promoted from other teams. Bradley really does not make many solid points; just huge generalizations IMO. Perect example...Kastens quote “If you’re going to make a change, make a change.” .

Seriously, the chances of Drew not being a dramatic change vs Woody is slim and none.

• Premium Member

I agree with Bradley. The ASG are like the horrible Smith family returned from the grave to torture Atlanta fans.

don't forget that It was the Smith family that got the Falcons to the Super Bowl.

I agree with Bradley. The ASG are like the horrible Smith family returned from the grave to torture Atlanta fans.

And here again we see the problem with the Atlanta Spirit. Gearon Jr. is the principal basketball man among ownership, and he’s a fine fellow who knows the sport. But he — like his father Michael Gearon Sr., once the Hawks’ president and now a co-owner — tends to fall in love with the talent on hand. And when the Gearons hear that a few minor alterations are all that’s warranted … well, they’re the Amen Corner swooning to string music.

Can anyone deny this is 100% on the money?

• Premium Member

He forgot to mention Fratello and Riley as well. Point being there is just as many recent HOF coaches who were promoted from within as assistants who were promoted from other teams. Bradley really does not make many solid points; just huge generalizations IMO. Perect example...Kastens quote “If you’re going to make a change, make a change.” .

Seriously, the chances of Drew not being a dramatic change vs Woody is slim and none.

Buzz, I hope Drew works out and takes the Hawks farther than they have ever been, BUT to make a statement like that when Drew worked under Woody for 6 years is quiet a stretch IMO. I you are like the rest of us and aggravated that the ownership group continues to make us look cheap, but it is what it is!

• Premium Member

And here again we see the problem with the Atlanta Spirit. Gearon Jr. is the principal basketball man among ownership, and he’s a fine fellow who knows the sport. But he — like his father Michael Gearon Sr., once the Hawks’ president and now a co-owner — tends to fall in love with the talent on hand. And when the Gearons hear that a few minor alterations are all that’s warranted … well, they’re the Amen Corner swooning to string music.

Can anyone deny this is 100% on the money?

still don't like the tone of the article but I can't disagree with that quote.

weird article because didn't his boy Schultz recommended Drew?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Let's not try a new coach. Let's hire one who has already been a head coach and failed.

If these former head coaches were so great, why don't they still have their job? Woody

is a fine example. He won with the Hawks, year after year the win total increased. Surely,

when the Hawks didn't renew his contract, all the other NBA clubs who were loking for a new

head coach hurried to be first in line to offer him their position.

Dang Atlanta team. The Hawks hired a new head coach who has never failed as a head coach.

How about that! And, he is already familiar with all the players on the roster. They know him too.

What if they won't listen to him? They had, many of them, quit listening to Woody, or so we hear.

About the Joe Johnson problem. JJ has three things facing him. He can and must do one of

the three, and only one. (1) Lead, (2) Follow or (3) Get out of the way.

Will JJ stay with the new coach? Or, will he demand that he be sent somewhere else where he

can dump on the fans? If he stays, is he willing to change. Can he become a real leader? If not,

will he be willing to be a follower of some one else who becomes the Hawk leader? The choice is

his and his alone.

If JJ doesn't want to be in Atlanta, if he is unhappy being here, he needs to pack up his ditty bag

and be on his way. Hawks don't need or want a player who doesn't want to be a Hawk.

I believe, for the most part, fans want JJ to stay here, to remain a Hawk. However, I believe most

of us do not want to break the bank to pay for his services. He's good. He's very good. He is needed

here - - But, only if he's happy.

:conversation:

• Like 1

• Premium Member

man, that reading really was bad! All I got was, "I'm trying to make some money so I better write something" lol

AJC needs some young blood

yeah that was bad but I'll give him a pass since it's for the blog

Buzz, I hope Drew works out and takes the Hawks farther than they have ever been, BUT to make a statement like that when Drew worked under Woody for 6 years is quiet a stretch IMO. I you are like the rest of us and aggravated that the ownership group continues to make us look cheap, but it is what it is!

I do not see it as a stretch at all. Humans are not clones lol. I am no more like my boss as my employees are just like me. We have company rules to follow but the way we manage within them is completely different. Even if Drew fails it will not be because he tried to emulate Woody; it will because his changes did not work out.

A lot of people already see failure in Drew; yet somehow see success in the other coaching options. No one we interviewed was a lock to succeed given their track records and coaching experience. Its not like we were choosing between Jackson, Riley, and Pop.

Drew has just a good a shot as anyone. Do not forget his resume before Woody included playoff stops also...

still don't like the tone of the article but I can't disagree with that quote.

weird article because didn't his boy Schultz recommended Drew?

His ( Shultz ) 1st choice was Avery Johnson. He did say early on that you cant count out Larry Drew. Funny thing about that paragraph above from Bradley is it not only describes the Drew hire but the Sund hire as well.

don't forget that It was the Smith family that got the Falcons to the Super Bowl.

It was also the ASG that got the Hawks back in the playoffs. We all love to hate them, but just sayin' :newspaper:

No matter what coach we hired there would have been pros and cons, Drew is no different. BUT the biggest fear concerning him is that he will be the same as the coach that was not brought back after a 53 win season and 3rd best team in the east record wise????

People need to realize that this team is not and was not planning on rebuilding. Therefore there only needed to be tweaks made, not wholesale changes. You take the same roster from a 50+ win team, and bring in somebody who can get better results from those players. That is the goal of the Hawks new coach regardless if he may have worked on the last staff.

The advantage that Drew has over any candidate that we could have brought in is that the players he will be coaching in a few months already RESPECT him, Enjoy the scheme he ran in practices, and want him to succeed. Where as any new guy would not know where he stood with this roster until midseason next year Add to that he already KNOWS where the problems are and has been probably planning solutions to our deficiencies for years.

(Woody: I dont give s--t about offense." Drew: well, there goes all the work I put into this years new offensive sets, maybe I'll get to use them one day")

The thing ppl arent seeing is that Drew's hire is another litmus test for this team which I already stated is not rebuilding RIGHT NOW. Managemnt will see now if Woody was really the problem or if this roster needs to be blown up someday. In which case a brand new coach can be brought in, bring in the players he wants for his system instead of being forced to make it work with somebody elses players. The best thing about this deal is that we arent obligated alot of money to Drew, SO EVEN IF HE DOES FAIL, we can let him go with not much burn.

• Like 1