• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Current assessment of the 'Childress S&T' situation.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

The AJC's Michael Cunningham recently said he thinks that both the Hawks and Childress' camp are looking for a S&T this offseason. Assuming that is true, there are three teams* I think will have something of value to the Hawks in a S&T and an interest in Childress:

Cleveland: Delonte West + lotto-protected 1st + $500K cash

There was mutual interest last season, and I think that desire grows this season. I believe the Cavs fully expect LeBron to re-sign in Cleveland and believe that the media extravaganza is merely for LeBron's ego/marketing. Only $500K of West's contract is guaranteed, and that amount is covered by the cash. In essence, the Cavs acquire Childress for a late first. They can then use their expirings (e.g., Moon, Parker, etc.) to make other, splashier moves.

The Hawks' incentive is the draft pick, even if it's not as good as they would like. They would waive West.

Milwaukee: Carlos Delfino + filler**

A wing -for- a wing. The Bucks will want to re-sign Salmons, which makes Delfino expendable. There was definite interest there last season..

The Hawks get a perimeter shooter off the bench who happens to have an expiring contract. Can never have too many of those.

Utah: TPE + lotto-protected 1st -or- C.J Miles

Utah has the benefit of a TPE large enough to absorb Childress' starting salary. Josh would take over Ronnie Brewer's role, and I expect him to be highly valued by their coaching staff because of his energy and intelligence.

The Hawks would have the choice of getting a decent draft pick or CJ Miles. My guess is that they'd opt for the pick. The Jazz own a future, protected pick from Memphis, FWIW.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= =-=-=-=-=-=-=-= =-=-=-=-=-=-=-= =-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-= =-=-=-=-=-=-=-= =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Note that I assume Childress' starting salary is around the MLE, which I expect to be around $5.5M. (For the nerds: this limits the Hawks' incoming salary to somewhere in the range of $4.3M and $4.6M due to his BYC issues).

*There are other teams with cap room, but I do not expect them to turn toward Childress until after all the big names settle. Also, Orlando and Washington have TPE's large enough to absorb Childress' contract, but I don't see the Hawks dealing Childress within their division.

**Non-guaranteed contracts (e.g., Darnell Jackson)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= =-=-=-=-=-=-=-= =-=-=-=-=-=-=-= =-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-= =-=-=-=-=-=-=-= =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

If I'm the Hawks, I do not consider the Cleveland trade because they stand in the way of a championship. Trading him to Utah gets him out of the conference, so that would be my favorite option.

Edited by mrhonline

I think it would be a mistake for Atlanta to move Josh Childress. With the new offense that is going to be focused on ball movement and player movement, Josh Childress is the cog that could help offset a potential loss of Joe Johnson in free agency. Josh Childress, when he was with the Hawks, was the best player on the team at moving without the ball. While he cannot create his own offense, he can get himself open on cuts and slashes better than anyone else on the team. This will be a big key to create some offense with a young, penetrating point guard that will be looking for a player on the cut like Josh. If the Hawks were to lose Joe Johnson, I think Josh could step up and be a 15-18 PPG scorer in this style while also bringing some of the "glue" qualities he brings to the table. I'd be tempted to start Josh Childress at small forward, but he would have to prove to me that he can defend the position better than Marvin Williams. If he can defend the position, then this would allow the Hawks to utilize Marvin as the main source of offense off the bench, a role he could very well thrive in. Obviously, Jamal Crawford would then be elevated to the starting shooting guard position, which is why the Hawks will need a strong perimeter defender at the small foward position. IMO, the Hawks absolutely cannot lose Joe Johnson and trade Josh Childress this offseason. It would be a tremendous blow to the team's depth and a set back overall.

• Premium Member
I think it would be a mistake for Atlanta to move Josh Childress.

I just don't see how that's going to happen. The reasons why are broad - his frustration with Sund, his timeline (he has until 7/15 to get something worked out), the lack of guaranteed minutes, the Hawks' distracted focus (JJ is the more important FA).

Add to that the information we learned from last season (Childress was seeking a S&T) and I think we all need to expect him to be traded.

Here's some MC's quotes from his most recent blog:

as far as Childress, the feeling i get is both he and the Hawks think the most likely scenario is for Childress to sign an offer sheet elsewhere or be used in a sign-and-trade.

no official word from Chills camp yet. i still think it’s more likely he’d sign elsewhere or be dealt than play for the Hawks.

• Premium Member

This thread is pointless. We don't have cheap owners, so we will just re-sign Childress.

/sarcasm

I can always count on you for levity.

What's funny is that over the past two years I've moved Childress in more potential deals than there are players.

• Moderators

I think everyone involved knows that Chill is NOT staying in Greece. So most of his leverage is gone. The option 'signs an offer sheet' with another team to me means the Hawks will match. How is he going to get a decent offer from anyone? With Woody gone I think he can overlook the way Sund treated him. He may want to play somewhere else but the Hawks know a bargain when they see one.

The AJC's Michael Cunningham recently said he thinks that both the Hawks and Childress' camp are looking for a S&T this offseason. Assuming that is true, there are three teams* I think will have something of value to the Hawks in a S&T and an interest in Childress:

There was mutual interest last season, and I think that desire grows this season. I believe the Cavs fully expect LeBron to re-sign in Cleveland and believe that the media extravaganza is merely for LeBron's ego/marketing. Only $500K of West's contract is guaranteed, and that amount is covered by the cash. In essence, the Cavs acquire Childress for a late first. They can then use their expirings (e.g., Moon, Parker, etc.) to make other, splashier moves.

The Hawks' incentive is the draft pick, even if it's not as good as they would like. They would waive West.

A wing -for- a wing. The Bucks will want to re-sign Salmons, which makes Delfino expendable. There was definite interest there last season..

The Hawks get a perimeter shooter off the bench who happens to have an expiring contract. Can never have too many of those.

Utah has the benefit of a TPE large enough to absorb Childress' starting salary. Josh would take over Ronnie Brewer's role, and I expect him to be highly valued by their coaching staff because of his energy and intelligence.

The Hawks would have the choice of getting a decent draft pick or CJ Miles. My guess is that they'd opt for the pick. The Jazz own a future, protected pick from Memphis, FWIW.

Note that I assume Childress' starting salary is around the MLE, which I expect to be around $5.5M. (For the nerds: this limits the Hawks' incoming salary to somewhere in the range of $4.3M and $4.6M due to his BYC issues).

*There are other teams with cap room, but I do not expect them to turn toward Childress until after all the big names settle. Also, Orlando and Washington have TPE's large enough to absorb Childress' contract, but I don't see the Hawks dealing Childress within their division.

If I'm the Hawks, I do not consider the Cleveland trade because they stand in the way of a championship. Trading him to Utah gets him out of the conference, so that would be my favorite option.

You've got the wrong piece in place. The S&T piece needs to be MARVIN. Not Chillz

• Premium Member

What's funny is that over the past two years I've moved Childress in more potential deals than there are players.

Yes, but did you move Chilz in more potential deals than...

Diesel has...

given his life's mission to finally propose a trade that actually goes down... THAT is the standard, I think. :vacation1:

Yes, but did you move Chilz in more potential deals than...

Diesel has...

given his life's mission to finally propose a trade that actually goes down... THAT is the standard, I think. :vacation1:

LMAO!!! Sooner or later he's got to get lucky and we will never hear the end of it.

You've got the wrong piece in place. The S&T pie Childress ce needs to be MARVIN. Not Chillz

Agreed. It would be a mistake to sign and trade Childress. Lets keep extending the QO and we will get him eventually OR Childress might take the contract that Sund offered him originally.

• Premium Member

mrh, one team that I don't see mentioned here that is considered to be in the SF market is LAC. Are you discounting them because of their cap room? Because it would seem credible, would it not, for us to work out a deal for DeAndre Jordan...?

Strictly Chillz and Sund: Neither did the wrong thing and neither dissed each other in the media much. It was business...strictly business. There is no reason that Chillz couldn't come back to the Hawks (and if he outplays "Mr. Potential") be our starting #3. Sund won't be coaching Chillz and results are results.