• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford "not sure" about staying in Atlanta

Sothron

Actually, a simple majority of posters find Horford superior to Smith.

I would disagree. It's not cut and dry. They bring different things to the table.

To me, Al is very mechanical in his approach in the post and it throws off the timing to the offense. This is why you don't see many plays where we dump the ball in low to Al. Josh is a superior passer and decision maker which is why you don't see offensive sets run through Al. Al rebounded more based on positioning in Woody's offense. I think Al plays within himself much better and obviously is a better midrange shooter. But to say Al is hands down better than Josh and the majority of posters agree is not accurate.

Statistically speaking, Josh had more points, assists, steals, blocks. All significantly more. Al got 1.2 more rebounds per game. Al shoots a better free throw percentage and a better percentage from the floor. Al turns the ball over less but that's mainly because he isn't given the roll of passer near as much. Josh also got to the line 150 more times which leads you to believe he was more active offensively.

I'm not saying one is more valuable than the other, I like both players fine, but to say Horford is "Superior" to Smith and the majority of posters agree isn't really accurate.

I think people get tied up in Josh's inability to accept his role on the team offensively (which is reason one for the whining) and his problem with inequity with foul calls (reason 2) that lead to his mini tantrums and forget his physical impact on the game. Statistically, Josh was 3rd in points, 1st in steals, 1st in blocks, 2nd in assists and 2nd in rebounds on the team. Taking those stats deeper, Josh accounted for 42% of the teams blocks, 22% of the teams steals, 20.6% of the team's rebounds,19.1% of the teams assists and 15.2% of their points. That's a monstrous impact on the game that can not easily be replaced. I contend he makes everyone else around him better and would be sorely missed were he not on the floor for us next year. I would say the same for Al, but Al does not have the total impact on the game that Josh does.

Who would you guys rather have?

Player "A"

-smart

-great work ethic

-plays tough "D"...tries hard all the time

-know his limitations...almost never a liability on the court

-plays well on the road and at home

-averages a double/double and has improved every year

-unspectacular, but VERY consistent

-is respected by refs due to his proffesionalism on the court

Player "B"

-dumb as a rock

-lazy...walks back on "D"...plays hard only when he feels like it

-doesn't know his limitations. Still takes dumb shots ever game

-plays horribly on the road

-very inconsistent on offense

-can be spectacular, but VERY inconsistent

-argues with refs at every opportunity

I will take player "A" every time. And I think you know who player "A" is :)

Edited by JackB1

What I don't get about Horford is that as a 4, he would be a little above average as a starter. As a 5, he is an All-Star. You are paid more if you are an All-Star, and also on average (when controlling for talent) a 5 makes more than a 4. It seems to me that he should realize he's a really good 5 and play to it. If he were a 4, there would have been absolutely no doubt that Al does not make the All-Star team.

Who would you guys rather have?

Player "A"

-smart

-great work ethic

-plays tough "D"...tries hard all the time

-know his limitations...almost never a liability on the court

-plays well on the road and at home

-averages a double/double and has improved every year

-unspectacular, but VERY consistent

-is respected by refs due to his proffesionalism on the court

Player "B"

-dumb as a rock

-lazy...walks back on "D"...plays hard only when he feels like it

-doesn't know his limitations. Still takes dumb shots ever game

-plays horribly on the road

-very inconsistent on offense

-can be spectacular, but VERY inconsistent

-argues with refs at every opportunity

I will take player "A" every time. And I think you know who player "A" is :)

Smoove is just as good as Al Horford, we all know you're biased.

What I don't get about Horford is that as a 4, he would be a little above average as a starter. As a 5, he is an All-Star. You are paid more if you are an All-Star, and also on average (when controlling for talent) a 5 makes more than a 4. It seems to me that he should realize he's a really good 5 and play to it. If he were a 4, there would have been absolutely no doubt that Al does not make the All-Star team.

What are you talking about? Horford would almost certainly be an All Star as a 4.

Setting aside the whole Smith vs Horford issue, Horford needs help. He plays virtually all of his time at center and i can say from experience that it is tough fighting for position inside with someone 20+ pounds heavier. Doing it over 82 games must be rough.

I don't think there is anything wrong with playing Horford 15-20 minutes at center but playing 30 minutes a game at center is too much.

This whole thing about Al come down to one thing or should I say one player. He is tired of Howard whipping his *ss everytime they play. Get someone who can play Howard anytime the Hawks/Magic play. Then Horford will be ok playing C. Horford and Smoove compliment each other very well that is why they have been successful playing together for so long. Only the Magic have been able to exploit our frontcourt. If we learn anything from the Celtics. That is stay at home with your defender and don't double Howard.

• Premium Member

Setting aside the whole Smith vs Horford issue, Horford needs help. He plays virtually all of his time at center and i can say from experience that it is tough fighting for position inside with someone 20+ pounds heavier. Doing it over 82 games must be rough.

I don't think there is anything wrong with playing Horford 15-20 minutes at center but playing 30 minutes a game at center is too much.

Absolutely. Folks who've never played basketball and had to guard bigger players just don't understand this. I think Al knows that if he continues to play center primarily, his career and talent will continue to be marginalized and that's why he's speaking out about it.

Edited by Jody23

Smoove is just as good as Al Horford, we all know you're biased.

Sorry - it's not even close when you talk about who is more valuable. I would love to see the difference in STATS

if Smoove played Center every night and Al played PF.

The ONLY think Josh does better than Al is block shots and that gap is getting smaller and smaller.

Better shooter: Al

Better man on man defender: Al

Better ball handler: Al

Better FT shooter: Al

Smarter Bball IQ: Al

Better Work Ethic: Al

Better post up player: Al

Better pick & roll player: Al

Better leader: Al

Better shot blocker: Smith

Better passer: Smith

Better player on the road: Al

Is it really up for debate?

Edited by JackB1

I am still laughing at Al saying, he thinks a team could be built around him , When we all know that's false. Al still has a long way to go before he becomes a star in this league.IF Al didn't play for us, he would not have made the all star team, his numbers were not that great at all..

.You guys will never admit it, but Smoove is the more important player to this team and it is not even close...

Sorry - it's not even close when you talk about who is more valuable. I would love to see the difference in STATS

if Smoove played Center every night and Al played PF.

The ONLY think Josh does better than Al is block shots and that gap is getting smaller and smaller.

Better shooter: Al

Better man on man defender: Al

Better ball handler: Al

Better FT shooter: Al

Smarter Bball IQ: Al

Better Work Ethic: Al

Better post up player: Al

Better pick & roll player: Al

Better leader: Al

Better shot blocker: Smith

Better passer: Smith

Better player on the road: Al

Is it really up for debate?

Your list is pretty bad. First of all Horfords post game is lame. That is probably his biggest weakness. Pick and roll? Please Horford needs to be hit with a cattle prod to get him to roll to the basket. Time and again guys will lead him with a pass to the basket but he stops after a step or two instead of rolling all the way to the basket, leading to a turnover.

Horford's ball handling skill doesn't amount to a hill of beans since he doesn't use it in the half court set. If he did he would be able to beat opposing centers off the dribble routinely.

Smith scores more points which is obviously a key stat. He also gets more steals and free throw attempts. Horford doesn't get to the line much because he isn't aggressive when he has the ball.

• Like 1

I am still laughing at Al saying, he thinks a team could be built around him , When we all know that's false. Al still has a long way to go before he becomes a star in this league.IF Al didn't play for us, he would not have made the all star team, his numbers were not that great at all..

Where did Al say that the team should be built around him? Actually no Al does not have a long way to go before he becomes a star since he's been to the All-Star game and every team in the league would love to have him on their roster. And sorry but you're delusional if you think the reason a player makes an All-Star team is because he plays for the Hawks. If anything playing for the Hawks has been a major hindrance to getting national attention.

.You guys will never admit it, but Smoove is the more important player to this team and it is not even close...

J-Smoove is an athletic, shot blocking, highlight reel 5 tool player and affects the game in ways that Al cannot.

Josh Smith is a selfish, immature, lazy, whiny player that completely takes the team out of the game in ways that Al cannot.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Josh Smith is a selfish, immature, lazy, whiny player that completely takes the team out of the game in ways that Al cannot.

i guess you guys haven't been reading Al's quotes in the media of late.

• Premium Member

It's clear you guys r haters, so there is no point in having this discussion with some of u. U won't change my mind, no matter what you say, or stats you try to pull up..

Are you his agent or something? I have never seen any poster so slavish in their fawning over one player. The fact you hate another player on the team just because he's better than your guy just floors me. Are you a Hawks fan or just a Josh Smith fan?