• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why can Noah play Center and not complain, but Al can't?

HawkItus

Noah is going to play Center next to Boozer and you haven't heard a peep from him complaining about that. Horf outweighs him is maybe and inch shorter. What's the issue?

Maybe because he's playing next to a natural PF and he's actually almost 2" taller?

I'll take Horford playing 80 games a season and occassionally complaining to Noah being in streetclothes half the time. Maybe there is a reason Noah can't stay healthy.

I agree, but I'm just saying, if Noah can do it Al can do it.

Maybe because he's playing next to a natural PF and he's actually almost 2" taller?

Okay I'll give you the 2 inches, but Al has him by at least 15lbs. I think the 15 pounds is more beneficial than the height. No?

Edited by sultanofatl

• Moderators

I saw Noah listed as 6'11" and i've never seen an nba player listed shorter than he actually is.

one inch short

The reason he's happy with being center is he has no offensive game at all. Al has some post up moves and can handle the ball. I think the difference is overblown. I'm guessing Al's complaint is having to guard centers which i can understand.

I saw Noah listed as 6'11" and I've never seen an nba player listed shorter than he actually is.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2007&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

He measured 7' even at the combine. However, his standing reach is not good for a guy his height. Horford's standing reach is actually 1/2'' higher then Noah's even though Noah is almost 2 inches taller. Standing reach is more important the height.

Horford has what it takes to play center. We all know that already. The problem is Howard is stronger and has a 6 inch standing reach advantage over him. We need some beef in the paint oto give Al a break in case of another 7 game series with Orlando.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

How is Josh not a natural PF? When did 6'8/6'9 suddenly become too short for a PF?

Edited by niremetal

How is Josh not a natural PF? When did 6'8/6'9 suddenly become too short for a PF?

Because until he came into the NBA he was a skinny SG/SF combo player and it wasn't until his 3rd year (I think) that we moved him to PF full-time so he hasn't been playing the position long. On the other hand you've got guys like Boozer who have always been bigger guys and have been playing PF for most of their adult lives. Josh is certainly big enough to survive at PF but he's not a natural PF and I don't think that he plays like a guy who is 240+ pounds and mostly because he hasn't been that size for long. You have to remember that he was only 200lbs his senior year of high school and we've converted him to PF and that is a pretty big transformation. I think that is why there are times when he doesn't rebound like he should for a guy his size.

Even if Horford plays center how does the Hawk front line defend the likes of Dwight Howard and the Celtics.The Hawks can beat most teams but when it becomes the playoffs if you don't have a physical front line your not winning. Howard manhandled the Hawks just like the year before the Hawks couldn't stay up with Cleveland and then there is the Celtics. Do you want to win in the regular season and be ousted every year with what the hawks have now? I think most on the board want to advance and be a championship threat but there is no way to do that with the current group of players.

Noah is going to play Center next to Boozer and you haven't heard a peep from him complaining about that. Horf outweighs him is maybe and inch shorter. What's the issue?

Why you ask...because Noah's position has always been center...Al played PF next to Noah in college.

Noah is a 7 footer. And Horford doesn't complain about playing Center he just says he needs more help down low which is true.

Hopefully we can get Shaq

I would hardly call what Al has said as "complaining".

Also Noah is close to 7' tall and Horford is barely 6' 9".

Boozer is 266 pounds. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/carlos_boozer/index.html

Smoove is 240. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_smith/

Your better then that JB !

Plus Boozer plays hard most of the time.

Josh, well.........

When was the last time Smoove boxed someone out by putting a body on him?

Let me get back to you on that :)

Even if Horford plays center how does the Hawk front line defend the likes of Dwight Howard and the Celtics.The Hawks can beat most teams but when it becomes the playoffs if you don't have a physical front line your not winning. Howard manhandled the Hawks just like the year before the Hawks couldn't stay up with Cleveland and then there is the Celtics. Do you want to win in the regular season and be ousted every year with what the hawks have now? I think most on the board want to advance and be a championship threat but there is no way to do that with the current group of players.

Exactly scout...I think the Hawks are finally being forced into a little "strategery". Many of us have argued before that the Hawks need a team identity (run vs half-court). The mega-sweep to ORL combined with the new three Amigos in MIA is basically forcing us to adapt to compete within the top 4 in the EC. The logical thing to do is get bigger and become more physical. I think our primary objective should still be to get physical enough to compete with ORL. To do that we have to create advantages. We have to improve at Center. Horford doesn't give us a physical advantage when he is at C (although he isn't bad) - but he CAN give us an advantage if he is at PF. Playing Smoove at SF would normally be sacrificing some skill for size and athleticism (but he'd just be replacing Marvin...so no big sacrifice)...but he would have to fit in as the "Rodman role" guy. With JJ not being an "attack the rim" SG (but being big for the position) I think we have to go to an old Pistons-type approach and basically be a half-court type team that only runs when the opportunity arises. Bibby is also best at this stage in his career as a half-court PG.

I think most of us would love to see the "high-flying, highlight factory, running Hawks", but with our current personnel I just can't see it happening - at least not in the near future.

So - all we gotta do is find a Center - easy - :rolleyes: .