• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

who do you hope buys the team?

chuck15

• Premium Member

I just can't put into words how badly this team needs a facelift. We are probably the most mediocre, incompetent, cheap, poorly thought out, blind, stubborn, irrelevant, nickle-and-dime, 50+ win franchise in the history of the NBA.

• Like 1

This is why I want them to go out and secure a deal for Shaq. I realy want to see if a deal like that changes the perception of the ownership group with the fan base.

It's just funny that people are rattling off a lot of off the field stuff, rather than what the Falcons actually put out on the field. And people readily make excuses for why the Falcons did this or that, but the Hawks get no leeway whatsoever.

It is what it is though. I'd love to see if bringing in Shaq would help a little to change the perception. Or will the apathy toward Atlanta's best pro sports team continue.

Oh I forgot . . . the Braves are finally winning in the regular season again . . so people will hype them up over the Hawks as well.

• Like 1

This is why I want them to go out and secure a deal for Shaq. I realy want to see if a deal like that changes the perception of the ownership group with the fan base.

It's just funny that people are rattling off a lot of off the field stuff, rather than what the Falcons actually put out on the field. And people readily make excuses for why the Falcons did this or that, but the Hawks get no leeway whatsoever.

It is what it is though. I'd love to see if bringing in Shaq would help a little to change the perception. Or will the apathy toward Atlanta's best pro sports team continue.

Oh I forgot . . . the Braves are finally winning in the regular season again . . so people will hype them up over the Hawks as well.

What do the falcons put out on the field besides a winning football team?

We did just sign the best cornerback on the market to help our defense. We did draft maybe the best all-around linebacker in the draft.

What are you talking about?

How long have you worked in the Hawks PR department?

• Like 1

How long have you worked in the Hawks PR department?

cyde is a HS lifer. I wouldn't say that even though I disagree w/ signing Shaq when we can get just as much defense for much less in Kurt Thomas. Maybe the offense and the box draw isn't the same but Shaq will only spark about 300-500 fans to attend, not a huge enough draw to go over the tax.

And Wretch proves the exact type of apathy I'm taking about.

Despite 3 consecutive playoff appearances, 90 home wins in the past 3 years, and our first 50+ win season in 12+ years, he STILL has only negative things to say about this team . . . despite us being in position to duplicate at the very least what we did this season.

The entire core from last year is coming back ( minus ) the coach that 90% of the fans hated . . and the apathy is STILL THERE.

Why?

Because we sold a dang 2nd round pick?

Because we traded Chill for peanuts, even though he obiously didn't want to play here?

Because "insert favorite scrub player here" is no longer with the team anymore?

Because we overpaid to retain our 4-time All-star?

The scrutiny this team takes, not only from the media, but also from the fans, is amazing to me. The Hawks could win 55 games, but lose to the 65 win "SuperFriends" team in Miami, and fans would STILL be pizzed at the Hawks like they were a below .500 team.

• Like 3

Despite 3 consecutive playoff appearances, 90 home wins in the past 3 years, and our first 50+ win season in 12+ years, he STILL has only negative things to say about this team . . . despite us being in position to duplicate at the very least what we did this season.

The entire core from last year is coming back ( minus ) the coach that 90% of the fans hated . . and the apathy is STILL THERE.

Why?

Because we traded Chill for peanuts, even though he obiously didn't want to play here?

The scrutiny this team takes, not only from the media, but also from the fans, is amazing to me. The Hawks could win 55 games, but lose to the 65 win "SuperFriends" team in Miami, and fans would STILL be pizzed at the Hawks like they were a below .500 team.

It's because the Hawks have no singular face to their franchise. Not a (hawks) player or owner is as popular of a figure as Arthur Blanks is in and around Atlanta. Teams need someone to be out front with the fans and media, that will discuss the issues of the team. No one like that exists on the Hawks; Joe Johnson is to mute, and you barely hear peep out of Josh Smith. Also, Josh is not as popular around Atlanta as some people think (on this board).

Edited by D.R.P.

There's more excitement around the Braves and Falcons because there's no limit on what they can accomplish. Both teams have serious championship aspirations, but we all know the current Hawks have next to no chance of advancing past the 2nd round.

• Like 1

@ nbasuperstar . . . my loyalty is to the Hawks . . . period. Has been for 25+ years. And if Shaq represents a 500 per game increase in fans, that could translate into possibly 3 million extra dollars in revenue, when you count ticket sales, concessions, team merchandise, arena advertising, etc.

500 fans per game would only equal a 20,500 jump in attendance. But it would push our attendance numbers over 700,000 per year for the first time in franchise history.

@ High5 . . . PR Dept? No. I'm a fan just like you are. I guess the difference in me, is that I see much more positive in this team, than the majority of the fans.

While I didn't initially like the Drew hire, I'm at least willing to give him a chance. And if he turns out to be a real good coach, how many people will give the ASG credit for hiring the right guy, at an absolute bargin basement price?

• Like 1

As others said he regularly goes out and recruits high name free agents and spends money to keep our own free agents. The Falcons are considered by many to be a Super Bowl dark horse this year. I don't see how anyone can question his credibility or his commitment as an owner to his product. If you are a Falcons fan old enough to remember the horrible Rankin Smith family then you know what I'm talking about.

Comparing the Don to the Notorious A.S.G. is like comparing the new Cowboys Stadium to the Omni. He bought a one-man team with one of the worst stadium deals in football and without uttering a single word about losing $$$, continue to recruit and attract high priced players to this town every year. He could've easily sat on his hands when you-know-who was selling out the Dome each week like Kasten did with Nique in the '80s but the Falcons had one of the highest payrolls in football, which was never, EVER the case when Rankin and Co. ran the show. The only reason that changed was because of, well, you know...

Blank has stood by as his franchise player was sent to federal prison and his head coach leaving for the SEC less than a year after firing one after not making the playoffs with what seemed to be a loaded team (funny, one fires a coach for not making the playoffs while another gives theirs an extension after missing the playoffs his first four seasons).

The Falcons are perceived as a real player in the NFC two years after the Mora mess, the Vick debacle, and Petrino's abrupt departure. Stuff like that normally takes 4-5 years minimum to get over but that didn't stop Blank from put his $$$ where his mouth was and demanding top performance. Meanwhile, the Hawks, despite their recent winning, is still considered to many locally and nationally as a live manual as to how not to run a professional franchise. None of their key players were hauled off to jail for months at a time; neither did BK or Woodson leave in the middle of the season to go elsewhere (although I wished BK would have before the '04 Draft).

The Falcons aren't there yet but they are lightyears ahead of where the Hawks are, especially in light of Team Voltron in Miami. They have a realistic shot of winning their division as currently constructed; can we say the same about our favorite NBA team right now?????

• Like 2

Why?

The NBA is about playing for a championship. Shooting for mid level is not something that satifies everyone.

You don't get a ring for winning 50 games. What you get is forgotten in a few years. That's what happens.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 3

Comparing the Don to the Notorious A.S.G. is like comparing the new Cowboys Stadium to the Omni. He bought a one-man team with one of the worst stadium deals in football and without uttering a single word about losing $$$, continue to recruit and attract high priced players to this town every year. He could've easily sat on his hands when you-know-who was selling out the Dome each week like Kasten did with Nique in the '80s but the Falcons had one of the highest payrolls in football, which was never, EVER the case when Rankin and Co. ran the show. The only reason that changed was because of, well, you know...

Blank has stood by as his franchise player was sent to federal prison and his head coach leaving for the SEC less than a year after firing one after not making the playoffs with what seemed to be a loaded team (funny, one fires a coach for not making the playoffs while another gives theirs an extension after missing the playoffs his first four seasons).

The Falcons are perceived as a real player in the NFC two years after the Mora mess, the Vick debacle, and Petrino's abrupt departure. Stuff like that normally takes 4-5 years minimum to get over but that didn't stop Blank from put his $$$ where his mouth was and demanding top performance. Meanwhile, the Hawks, despite their recent winning, is still considered to many locally and nationally as a live manual as to how not to run a professional franchise. None of their key players were hauled off to jail for months at a time; neither did BK or Woodson leave in the middle of the season to go elsewhere (although I wished BK would have before the '04 Draft).

The Falcons aren't there yet but they are lightyears ahead of where the Hawks are, especially in light of Team Voltron in Miami. They have a realistic shot of winning their division as currently constructed; can we say the same about our favorite NBA team right now?????

This.

Northcyde still hasnt commented about how Blank is a worse owner than ASG...

Quesiton to you ATLiens.

Fans praise Blank to no end in ATL . . . but what has Blank actually done for the Falcons, outside of setting up that entertainment / food court outside of the GA Dome? A lot of you act like Blank is spending money left and right on the players that he wants. But the only real commitment he's ever done, was give Vick all of that money.

We're talking about a Falcons team that has won 10+ games only 2 times in 11 years. And they just had their first back to back winning season. In essence, the Falcons haven't done any more than the Hawks have during that time frame.

So what does Blank ACUTALLY do, to gain so much admiration from the fan base?

One thing is he communicates with the fans and doesn't keep any secrets. You can always find great info on their website. I have met him a few times, and he always bring his staff with him like they are a real family. He gets to know his players like they are family also. Just a very genuine man!!!!

The NBA is about playing for a championship. Shooting for mid level is not something that satifies everyone.

You don't get a ring for winning 50 games. What you get is forgotten in a few years. That's what happens.

THIS....

Just ask Nique to show off the five rings he has from being on 50+win squads. Folks nationally don't even bring those Hawk squads up as far as seriously competing in the East back in the '80s.

One franchise is serious about winning a title and doing whatever it takes to get one. Another is serious about staying under the luxury tax and maintaining its 'core' to the point of overpaying its star player to avoid a 1994-05 flashback and further alienating an already jaded fanbase. Until they show otherwise, that's the uphill battle the Hawks will continue to face here and nationally. Sorry for the brutal honesty but I'm a certified football official; I call it as I see it.

We're all fans of the Hawks and all but when the team's payroll is $18-20M behind the other three that made the conference semis, with the Heat, Bulls, and Bucks closing fast, it's mighty hard to throw bouquets at the folks in charge.

GAME, SET, MATCH.

Edited by Dejay

@ DKD . . . and the Hawks didn't have some of the lowest ticket prices in the NBA up until the past 2 years? And do those $100 season tickets still exist, now that the Falcons are at least a playoff contender now? Or did Blank drop the ticket prices down after the Vick fiasco?

@ DLP . . so as you, AHF, and some others point out, this isn't necessarily a performance issue. This is a public relations issue. I guess the Hawks aren't accessible enough to the fans, for them to really embrace them.

The apathy is still crazy though.

The Hawks have made 3 major moves in the past 3 years:

- traded expiring contracts for Mike Bibby, who at the time still had 15 million the next year remaining on his contract.

- traded expiring contracts for Jamal Crawford, a player that most teams around the league would've never taken a chance on, mainly because he still had 2 yrs - 20 million on his contract at the time we traded for him.

- secured JJ to a max contract, to make sure the Hawks at the very least stay a playoff contender for years to come.

So I think people need to stop calling them "cheap". We've been over the salary cap for a few years, due to those contracts. The way to build up your payroll in the NBA, is by signing your own guys to big money, long term contracts . . or by trading players for big money contracts. The Hawks, for the past 3 years, have shwon tha they're willing to do both.

But I'll leave this alone. Blank is defintely a good owner, and he's well-liked. And because of that, the apathy toward the Falcons will never equal the apathy toward the Hawks, unless the Hawks reach the NBA Finals.

I think that's the reason the ASG, JJ, Marvin, and Josh Smith don't worry too much about what the fans and media say about them. Unless they do something truly great, all of them are always going to be in a "damned if you do . . damned if you don't" sitiation in ATL.

I think that's the reason the ASG, JJ, Marvin, and Josh Smith don't worry too much about what the fans and media say about them. Unless they do something truly great, all of them are always going to be in a "damned if you do . . damned if you don't" sitiation in ATL.

That's BS and you know it. Atlanta came out in full force and embraced the Hawks for a losing effort against the Celtics. Even with the embarrassing road blowouts, everyone was talking about how great the Hawks played. The problem is they answered that with a ugly series against Miami and getting swept by Cleveland. Then they answered that with an awful series against Milwaukee and the worst sweep ever against Orlando. It's hard to get excited about a team that humiliates themselves on the biggest stage.

northcyde our onwers are cheap are u serious??? if they arent we would have better players here .....that shows cause they dont go out and recruit they dont make this a place where players wanna play.......they are all about cheap no name washed up players...bibby i love the guy but was washed up when we got him........joe smith??? is he suppose to still be able to play?? go out over spend some money and well have a much better team......make ATL and phillips arena a place where players want to play.....