• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks close to signing Josh Powell

5ATL15

I like him as a back up PF. Just read the article as well and thought well that makes sense because isn't he from Atlanta? But I think we will work out a Shaq deal, sign powell, and the third roster spot is really up in the air at this point. I would love for us to pick up a vet winger, but in the back of my mind I kind of want the Hawks to buyout the last year of Sy's contract and bring him on lol....let's see what happens :line dance:

He brings a tenacity to the front court that we have lacked. Good pick up for the second team.

Yep I like the signing too compared to the option of Joe Smith at least. He is a high energy player and solid defender and we certainly need all of that we can get. Still need to get Shaq though for me to feel ok about our front court.

• Like 1

Not sure who I would prefer more between Joe Smith or Josh Powell. I don't expect either of them to be our answer to winning the championship so it doesn't really matter. I don't mind the signing at all since we do need to fill in the void we have in the backup PF. It sucks that we don't have a player that will make a song about the whole team anymore.

• Moderators

A Phil Jackson disciple, and another local-guy-made-good (Riverdale HS) story. Young but lots of pro (NBA and international) experience. I was going to suggest him for my "Backup PF is ?" thread, but thought it was premature at the time.

Hawks first-year Coach Larry Drew said, "that's about a done deal."

Powell's contract would be for one year for the veteran's minimum of $1.1 million. He'll probably sign it on Monday.

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2010/07/josh-powell-who-spent-the-last-two-seasons-with-the-lakers-is-nearing-siging-a-one-year-contract-with-the-atlanta-hawks--h.html

~lw3

The Atlanta Hawks are close to addressing their need for a backup big man by acquiring Los Angeles Lakers reserve forward Josh Powell on a one-year deal expected to be for the veteran minimum $992,680, according to league sources. Powell is expected to pick the Hawks over Cleveland, Chicago and New Jersey in the next couple of days.

The 27-year-old Powell has played the last two seasons for the Lakers after signing with them in 2007. Injuries to starting center Andrew Bynum created time for Powell as a backup forward when Pau Gasol had to move into the middle; Powell appeared in 60 and 63 regular season games the last two years, though his minutes dropped from 11.7 per game in 2008-09 to 9.2 last season. He played in 13 playoff games this past season, including an appearance in Game 6 of the Finals against the Celtics.

Powell was well-liked among his Lakers teammates and Coach Phil Jackson, who respected the 6-9 forward's work ethic in practice and his positive demeanor on the bench. But Powell is seeking an opportunity for more playing time, and is likely to get a little more run in Atlanta behind Josh Smith.

The Hawks have been looking for a veteran big to replace Joe Smith, who fell out of favor with former Coach Mike Woodson's staff last season. They explored centers like Brad Miller, who wound up signing with the Rockets, and looked into free agent Shaquille O'Neal, but weren't willing to promise him the money or minutes he was seeking.

Powell has also played for the Mavericks, who signed him out of the NBA Developmental League in 2005, along with the Pacers, Warriors and Clippers.

link:http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency/#HawksPowell

• Like 1