• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Broussard of ESPN just said Hawks are frontrunner for signing Shaq

gutz

LOL . . my 2 favorite sports teams, the Hawks and the Bengals,are considering old vet "divas" who nobody seems to want, but can at least still play the game. Hawks need help on the frontline . . Bengals need help in the receiving core. Bengals seem more willing to bring in the even more volatile Terrel Owens into the mix, than the Hawks are willing to bring in Shaq. Both players are going to have to accept a reduced role, even though they're the big name player.

Bengals ownership says . . "I'd rather have him line up with us than on other side. He can change field position he makes big plays"

Bengals coach says . . . "Terrell has been a productive player. His goals and our goals match up"

Hawks say . . "We want to build an elite team without exceeding the Luxury Tax"

Hawks say on Shaq . . . ** crickets **

I have rooted for these two franchises for going on 25 years. The Bengals are obviously the worse of the two. But I'm so glad that at least one of my teams are wiling to take risks even with highly questionable players who were "locker room cancers" . . ( Cedrick Benson, Pac Man Jones, and now possibly Terrell Owens ).

Mike Brown is one of the worst owners in sports. But he's at least willing to take risks.

northcyde,

That is kind of funny since I am in kind of the same boat as you are. My favorite NBA Team is of course the Hawks (going after Shaq) and my favorite NFL Team is the Rams (who is the other Team battling your Bengals for Owens!). But, I honestly think the best place for Owens is Cincinnati where he will have an established QB (Palmer) and a Playoff Contender (and, of course we all know the Rams are years away from contending). So, I hope the Hawks do get Shaq and I hope your Bengals get Owens. Good Luck!

Ochocingo and TO on the same team? I can't tell if this is idiotic or genius... Might be worth watching their games just for the celebrations.

Would be great if the Hawks can get Shaq at a reasonable price. Heck, I might even have to buy a Hawks Shaq jersey just for fun.

It shouldn't effect Zaza, Powell is not a center. But Powell is a good BU PF. Shaq's marketing value for sponser's is higher than any three present Hawks combined.

This is a very good point. How would the signing of Shaq not only affect the box office, but other things like corporate sponsorships and in arena advertising. I have an advertising background. If I'm the ASG, and they're trying to woo Shaq, I'm even talking to some of the other corporations in Atlanta, to get their take on the situation. Even seeing if they would possibly use Shaq in their marketing plans to advance their brand. The "old man" secured 15 million in endorsements last year. That's #5 amongst American sports athletes and #2 amongst NBA players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/2009/

He'll . . if I'm the ASG, I'm calling Coca-Cola as we speak, and see if I can secure extra money for Shaq that way, instead of having to giving up a big money deal to bring him in.

People should not underestimate the box office ability from both a fan and corporate standpoint, that a Shaq brings in.

ouch.

~lw3

LOL . . dude . . I have caught HELL for rooting for both of those teams. The late 80s were great, because both the Bengals and Hawks were good. The 90s were horrific for the Bengals. The early 2000s was horrific for BOTH the Bengals and Hawks. So I've caught hell. But I've stayed loyal throughout. I almost gave up on the Bengals though, with the Akili Smith debacle.

LOL @ Pimp . . . I'm also a Cincinnati Reds fan . . . who have been pretty much non-existant for about 15 years. This year though, they're right in the running.

For the first time possibly ever, all 3 of my favorite teams are looking to make a little noise this year. Now if the U. of Tennessee football program could get themselves back on track, this may turn out to be a very good fall and winter for me as a sports fan. Not holding out much hope for them though.

Ochocingo and TO on the same team? I can't tell if this is idiotic or genius... Might be worth watching their games just for the celebrations.

Would be great if the Hawks can get Shaq at a reasonable price. Heck, I might even have to buy a Hawks Shaq jersey just for fun.

T.O. has proven that he can't be the #1 guy anymore. But I think he may be able to be a valuable complimentary receiver, as long as he's used on 3rd down and in the red zone. Carson Palmer is pretty much the Joe Johnson of Cincinnati, although people respect Carson much more than JJ. But Carson, along with the receivers, sold us out in that playoff game. The Bengals have dedicated almost the entire offseason to upgrade this part of the team.( TE - Grisham out of Oklahoma . . WR - Shipley out of Texas ). It's almost the opposite of what the Hawks have done so far. The Hawks think everything is "fine".

To me, the Bengals are in the same situation as the Hawks. We're not the favorites to win anything, because we play in a division with Pittsburgh and Baltimore, so they will always get more respect than the Bengals. And you have the Patriots, Colts, and Chargers still out there as probably the class of the league. And the Jets made themselves major players in the AFC last year.

So from my standpoint, I don't mind at all for the Bengals to take risks to try to improve themselves. If we stand pat, we may have no shot at advancing anywhere ( lol . . and we still maybe don't ). But if they sign T.O., I can't say that they're not trying.

So when it comes to Shaq, ( even though the financial dynamic seems to be the major reason why we're not considering him ) I'm all for bringing a guy like that in to get us to the next level.

• Like 2

Why are people thinking shaq is going to be a business boom or something. He's going to be nothing more than a freak show circus, interesting for a while and then pathetic immediately afterwards. If gms thought they could get extra ticket sales than I'm sure someone would have signed him already. He views this franchise beneath his presence at the same time demanding 5+ mill as doing us a favor.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

more proof that Mike Brown would play Satan himself if the price was right

imagine if Odell Thurman was still in the league. Bengals would have Odell, Pacman, Chad, and TO on the same freaking team. better hire a therapist for that bunch of nuttys.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

He was wanting a two year contract and I say if we go down that road the contract addresses the areas of concern. If he becomes a distraction, etc that impacts his contract next year . . . . . . and if they don't want him this year no one will touch him next year.

• Premium Member

Why are people thinking shaq is going to be a business boom or something. He's going to be nothing more than a freak show circus, interesting for a while and then pathetic immediately afterwards. If gms thought they could get extra ticket sales than I'm sure someone would have signed him already. He views this franchise beneath his presence at the same time demanding 5+ mill as doing us a favor.

It's very tough to argue that Shaq doesn't sell tickets. The Heat, Suns, and Cavs all had an increase in ticket sales when Shaq came and a drop when he left. As I recall, his jersey is still one of the 10 best selling. On the other hand, with each passing year his "drawing card" potential goes down and the likelihood that he'll hurt rather than help his team (which obviously has the opposite effect on ticket sales) goes up. Add to that his insistence on being overpaid and being given a starting or first-off-the-bench role, and I can see why most GMs wouldn't be interested. That should include Sund, because I don't see how a GM could think Shaq would be a good fit here, but whatever...

T.O. has proven that he can't be the #1 guy anymore. But I think he may be able to be a valuable complimentary receiver, as long as he's used on 3rd down and in the red zone. Carson Palmer is pretty much the Joe Johnson of Cincinnati, although people respect Carson much more than JJ. But Carson, along with the receivers, sold us out in that playoff game. The Bengals have dedicated almost the entire offseason to upgrade this part of the team.( TE - Grisham out of Oklahoma . . WR - Shipley out of Texas ). It's almost the opposite of what the Hawks have done so far. The Hawks think everything is "fine".

To me, the Bengals are in the same situation as the Hawks. We're not the favorites to win anything, because we play in a division with Pittsburgh and Baltimore, so they will always get more respect than the Bengals. And you have the Patriots, Colts, and Chargers still out there as probably the class of the league. And the Jets made themselves major players in the AFC last year.

So from my standpoint, I don't mind at all for the Bengals to take risks to try to improve themselves. If we stand pat, we may have no shot at advancing anywhere ( lol . . and we still maybe don't ). But if they sign T.O., I can't say that they're not trying.

So when it comes to Shaq, ( even though the financial dynamic seems to be the major reason why we're not considering him ) I'm all for bringing a guy like that in to get us to the next level.

I accidentally negged your post while browsing on my phone. My bad....

imagine if Odell Thurman was still in the league. Bengals would have Odell, Pacman, Chad, and TO on the same freaking team. better hire a therapist for that bunch of nuttys.

It's funny you say that because i know Odell's little brother and Odell and pacman are good friends. Really Odell and Pacman aren't crazy but just stupid.

• Premium Member

I accidentally negged your post while browsing on my phone. My bad....

it's all good...I gave him a compensatory +1

It's funny you say that because i know Odell's little brother and Odell and pacman are good friends. Really Odell and Pacman aren't crazy but just stupid.

Many stupid decisions can also be decribed as crazy decsions but whatever.

LOL . . and Bengal fans LOVED Odell. When he came on, he instantly gave that defense a mini Ray Lewis type player. Most fans thought he got a raw deal from the league, seeing that he "only" had an alcohol problem. The Odell suspension is the reason why the Bengals finished 8 - 8 in the following years, instead of 10 - 6 or 11 - 5.

But how about the Hawks. Would you approve of adding Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest, in place of Marvin Williams and Mo Evans, if it could be done?

T.O. looks like he has pretty much no choice. Bengals are the only ones who have made an offer, and a report form the Rams say that they won't sign T.O. ( which on a young team like that, I don't blame them ).

Sign the contract T.O. . . . and welcome to Cincinnati.