• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Team USA

buckeye242424

I know it's just one man's opinion, but if he's semi-accurate

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/chris_mannix/07/29/usa.predictions/index.html?eref=sihp

Did Smoove get invited to try out? Did he get cut? I'm puzzled why Smoove isn't on the team or being considered. Why? The lack of front court depth on the National Team is apparent, but no Smoove, no second team all-NBA defensive player?

Chandler, Love, Iggy, Lopez, Odom, Gay....? No Josh Smith??

• Premium Member

Andre Iguodala makes zero sense. He's OK but not good enough to be on Team USA.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Tried out last summer and got really poor reviews (doesn't stop shooting jumpers). In FIBA ball tweener forwards that can stroke it usually populate the PF position so if you are going with an undersized forward you might as well go with Green, Gay or Granger rather than Smoove.

Tried out last summer and got really poor reviews (doesn't stop shooting jumpers). In FIBA ball tweener forwards that can stroke it usually populate the PF position so if you are going with an undersized forward you might as well go with Green, Gay or Granger rather than Smoove.

Gotcha. Wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense...thx

After all the f***ing snubs Smoove got last year this is no surprise.

Maturity and character are traits valued by team USA. They do not want Smoove's temper tantrums, and refusing to walk down the court to play defense, casting all Americans into the unflattering stereotypes many countries already have for us.

• Premium Member

I know it's just one man's opinion, but if he's semi-accurate

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/chris_mannix/07/29/usa.predictions/index.html?eref=sihp

Did Smoove get invited to try out? Did he get cut? I'm puzzled why Smoove isn't on the team or being considered. Why? The lack of front court depth on the National Team is apparent, but no Smoove, no second team all-NBA defensive player?

Chandler, Love, Iggy, Lopez, Odom, Gay....? No Josh Smith??

If Granger doesn't make the cut, don't expect Smoove to either.

Andre Iguodala makes zero sense. He's OK but not good enough to be on Team USA.

Not true actually...apparently, Iggy asked his new Sixers coach Doug Collins to find out what his role would be on Team USA....Coach K's response...play strong aggressive defense and from reports coming from the camp he has been just that and has been good offensively within the team framework.

Not true actually...apparently, Iggy asked his new Sixers coach Doug Collins to find out what his role would be on Team USA....Coach K's response...play strong aggressive defense and from reports coming from the camp he has been just that and has been good offensively within the team framework.

This is what Smoove does! Why I posed the question in the first place....Smoove is better defensively than Iggy, IMO.

Smith is an excellent weakside defender but he can't defend the perimeter.

But if old man Billups, or Westbrook, and/or Stephon Curry are representing us, can anyone defend the perimeter? There's not a lot better than J. Smith! I'd take my chances with Smoove.

But if old man Billups, or Westbrook, and/or Stephon Curry are representing us, can anyone defend the perimeter? There's not a lot better than J. Smith! I'd take my chances with Smoove.

Those guys are all much better perimeter defenders than Smoove so I don't get your problem. Rose, Rondo and Westbrook are defenders that will pressure the point, Iggy will pressure on the wing, Billups is older but can still play D and is there for veteran leadership. Josh is a frontcourt player so I don't see your issue with backcourt players and I already mentioned that the only position he can play is the 4 which is usually reserved for guys who can score both from the post and the perimeter. If Josh could even shoot half as well as Odom he would of been in camp with them but he can't and his only advantage is mitigated by the fact both Chandler and Granger can block shots too so he wasn't invited.

Those guys are all much better perimeter defenders than Smoove so I don't get your problem. Rose, Rondo and Westbrook are defenders that will pressure the point, Iggy will pressure on the wing, Billups is older but can still play D and is there for veteran leadership. Josh is a frontcourt player so I don't see your issue with backcourt players and I already mentioned that the only position he can play is the 4 which is usually reserved for guys who can score both from the post and the perimeter. If Josh could even shoot half as well as Odom he would of been in camp with them but he can't and his only advantage is mitigated by the fact both Chandler and Granger can block shots too so he wasn't invited.

+1..you saved me from having to answer....I'm a J-Smoove fan but his previous tryout did not go well.

Atl fans overrate smoove

he's a good player and an exciting player and can fill up a stay sheet

but he's not a championship team type of player, mostly due to his woody traits: doesn't adjust, stops doing things that works and keeps doing things that don't...as well as his poor shooting, combined with desire to shoot that low % shot, attitude and low bball iq

that's why we should trade smoove, not al, if we can get Paul

getting Paul gives us a real shot at a title or at least finals appearance, and so we want winners like al on our team to help us get there, not inconsistent, nonchampions like smoove, no matter how exciting Paul to smoove alley oops would be

also, al can play center if our center is injured, which gives him a big leg up as well when deciding between the 2

• Moderators

You need to be able to hit a perimeter jumper to play FIBA ball. Josh isn't a good fit at this point in his career. A guy like Carmelo Anthony was used at PF for this reason.

Matt

Atl fans overrate smoove

he's a good player and an exciting player and can fill up a stay sheet

Blocks and steals:

Smoove: 1.6 spg, 2.1 bpg

Gerald Wallace: 1.5 spg, 1.1 bpg

Should he have not been on the all defensive number one team or no? Scratch that, DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR.... A player at Smoove size averaging those numbers is far from overrated.

Again, Smoove was snubbed countless amounts of times last season.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Smoove's a superb help defender, which is useful only for teams that really need help defending.

Shooting 28% on two-pointers outside the key won't raise terribly many eyebrows for international play. He'll be a perennial USA Select member, though.

Now, if FIBA institutes a halftime dunk contest...

~lw3