Shaq close to deal with Celtics

Vol4ever

The Celtics, the source said, have told O'Neal that he has to come off the bench next season, and that O'Neal said he could accept a reserve role for the first time in his career. The three-time Finals MVP has not had many suitors this summer that had either the playing time or money to offer him, and O'Neal is running out of places that can give him a chance to compete for a championship as his career draws to a close.

Boston was leery of signing O'Neal because if he became unhappy with his role, that unhappiness could pervade the entire team, as the Celtics believe happened with O'Neal in some of his previous stops in recent seasons. O'Neal started in his one season last year with the Cavaliers, including after his return from a right thumb injury that kept him out of the final five weeks of the regular season.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/08/03/shaq.celtics/index.html#?ls=iref:nbahpt1

So far he's been open to making concessions for the Celtics that he wasn't otherwise willing to do for us yet the reluctance still remains.

• Premium Member

The sarcastic side of me wants to keep blasting the ASG but honestly as I said in other thread I didn't want any part of Shaq. It isn't money or his age or his weight. It is his attitude. He has been a cancer in every city he's played for. He has to be the most immature veteran player I've ever seen in any sport with the way he takes public personal shots and attacks at other players and coaches. I do not think for a second he can truly be happy with a backup role and minutes.

If he didn't have that attitude I'd love to have him but that's like saying you'd like to have JR Rider in his hey day but wish he wasn't crazy. You can't have both so I'm happy with neither.

• Like 2

The sarcastic side of me wants to keep blasting the ASG but honestly as I said in other thread I didn't want any part of Shaq. It isn't money or his age or his weight. It is his attitude. He has been a cancer in every city he's played for. He has to be the most immature veteran player I've ever seen in any sport with the way he takes public personal shots and attacks at other players and coaches. I do not think for a second he can truly be happy with a backup role and minutes.

If he didn't have that attitude I'd love to have him but that's like saying you'd like to have JR Rider in his hey day but wish he wasn't crazy. You can't have both so I'm happy with neither.

co-sign...we already have immaturity in Josh Smith... last thing i'd want is for Shaq to get inside his head.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

co-sign...we already have immaturity in Josh Smith... last thing i'd want is for Shaq to get inside his head.

I'm more worried about the way Shaq's presence would undermine Horford's emergence as a team leader than I am about him making Josh less mature.

Shaq isn't going to help them overcome the loss of Perkins. Jermaine O'Neal will help some, but even with Shaq, their depth is limited now. Shaq will give them basically what Rasheed Wallace gave them last year, and Rasheed had a negative impact on the Celtics when he was on the floor.

Nobody wants to play for the Hawks unless their forced to. This team ahs to break the bank to even keeps it's own players.

That is hilaroius. Sad. and true. It is also what they should have done with Shaq. What is this...Shaq hate. To rather have Jason Collins than Shaq has to be a hate. I'll say, Liking Shaq has nothing to do with my belief that signing him is in order.

And this Poppycock of Al emerging as a leader being hampered with Shaq here. That is some female engineered BS.

Whoever believes that, has never coached young men to men or raised a son to be a Man. I say here, Iron sharpens Iron. That soft approach produces a b*tch-made cissy.

• Premium Member

Boston has a title and another finals appearance and they're still trying to improve.

The Hawks suffer the worst playoff series ever and add Josh Powell and the cheapest head coach in the league.

What a team!

X1000 Hot. Ignorance abounds. I guess those making statements on Hawksquawk against Shaq will be chearing when the Celtics, Heat, and Magic blow past the Hawks in the playoffs.

All of you naysayers won't answer my question. Is Doc Rivers an idiot for signing Shaq????????????

He didn't really want to come here. That was why he was forcing the issue on Atlanta to pay more then anyone else.

Well, if you want a faster car, you have to spend money.

• Premium Member

Boston has a title and another finals appearance and they're still trying to improve.

The Hawks suffer the worst playoff series ever and add Josh Powell and the cheapest head coach in the league.

What a team!

i agree but still want no part of Shaq. The Hawks already have a horrible locker room. I don't see Shaq's constant backstabbing making things better.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

I want him to show up at the press conference in that logo outfit, winkin' at the cameras with the clover vest, bowtie and derby, the stovepipe, knickers and buckle shoes, walking stick...

Hey, if all this "cancerous" stuff we've been led to presume is true, then it's not all bad for us. Shaq joins the Grumpy Old Men, then:

* insists on being the fourth "Amigo," then settles on "Horsemen" when told there can only be three Amigos ("I'm Ole Anderson."),

* sulks and pouts when he's asked to start the season behind Jerm Daddy,

* misses a week after burning his hand trying to out-cook Paula Deen during a "Shaq Vs." episode,

* refuses to relinquish minutes when Aunt Eunice** comes back post-AllStar Break (** I call Perk that 'cause his scowls make him look like one of my relatives),

* talks down to Rondo and fumes about him in the media ("Lil Bow Wow won't gimme the damm ball. He don't make no free throws neither."),

* deems Jerry Buss, "the greatest owner in the history of American sports,"

* has fellow Tiger alum Big Baby absolutely weeping after every practice ("I could get a fat Carlton Banks to guard me and nobody'd know the difference"),

* argues with reporters that Manhattan has, far and away, the best clam chowder,

* nearly gets Paul fresh new stab wounds after hitting sketchy bars in South Boston every other night,

* calls out KG for his "faux intensity" ("Give it up, even Zaza Pachulia ain't skerred of ya."),

* repeatedly strains his back after mistaking every Ray Allen airball for an alley-oop,

* has the whole end of the bench smellin like Icy Hot,

* challenges Nate to Soulja Boy dance-offs during 20-second timeouts,

* repeatedly refers to Harangody as "Scalabrine" and wonders aloud why he's on the floor, like, ever,

* "How many rings I got? How many rings Doc got? And he won't play me?",

* opens old wounds by calling Beantown "the most racist city ever,"

* has Rondo so mad he demands a trade, sending Bibby to Boston (Oak Hill South, baby!) and completing the Jurassic Park debacle,

* takes himself out for the postseason after trying in vain to tear down the rim in Miami and falling flat on his *ss,

* admits after the season his real goal all along was to make it easier for Kobe's Lakers to catch the Celtics' title tally.

Now I really can't wait... has he signed yet?

~lw3

• Like 2

I can't believe that anyone thinks that Shaq for the minimum is a bad deal for the celtics. I mean, really? It's the minimum. If he messes things up, they can cut him at minimal cost.

Nobody thinks that's a bad deal, at one year no less? Christ almighty, it's a great deal! It's why I and others wanted him here on a smaller deal all along but half these jockers thought tying up two years and 16 mil in the guy was a worthy investment no matter what even if he goes off the reservation. Boston has the vets to handle him, and if he becomes a nuisance, have zero problem eating a prorated 800K when they release him to the trash bin or just tell him to stay home.