• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

so we ( THE ATLANTA HAWKS) have lost

chuck15

so how did we start off with such a promising off season of re-signing joe, and upgrading the roster........and then lose out on everybody we said we were trying to get.......i mean to be a realist the hawks we make hte playoffs but then wht? if any kind of front office guy is reading this or ownership is.......you have failed at your job and you do a terrible job of giving us (FANS) anything to cheer for!!!

I think having a core of JJ, Smoove, and Horf -with Craws- (albeit healthy) gets us to the playoffs consistently. That's three all-stars, two of which are getting better. Now once we get there...another thing.

Edited by buckeye242424

It's amazing. If you listen to some fans on here, the Hawks were going to fall out of the playoffs had they not resigned Joe. Now that they resigned Joe, they are still going to fall out of the playoffs because.........? Apparently it centers around the antiquated thought process that a center has to be 7'0", 280 lbs to be an effective center. So, basically, now the Hawks are going to fall out of the playoffs because they didn't sign Shaq. I guess Al Horford and Josh Smith are going to drastically decline at the old age of 24 years old. Oh, and Joe Johnson is about to go into a drastic decline, even though his game is not based on athleticism or drawing contact. He apparently is going to lose his shooting stroke overnight. And apparently there is no hope for improvement or good play out of the 22 year old Jeff Teague or the 21 year old Jordan Crawford.

• Like 4

It's amazing. If you listen to some fans on here, the Hawks were going to fall out of the playoffs had they not resigned Joe. Now that they resigned Joe, they are still going to fall out of the playoffs because.........? Apparently it centers around the antiquated thought process that a center has to be 7'0", 280 lbs to be an effective center. So, basically, now the Hawks are going to fall out of the playoffs because they didn't sign Shaq. I guess Al Horford and Josh Smith are going to drastically decline at the old age of 24 years old. Oh, and Joe Johnson is about to go into a drastic decline, even though his game is not based on athleticism or drawing contact. He apparently is going to lose his shooting stroke overnight. And apparently there is no hope for improvement or good play out of the 22 year old Jeff Teague or the 21 year old Jordan Crawford.

We probably won't fall out of the playoffs (unless we have a major injury), but we'll fall in seeding as well as in relevancy. Other teams in the East improved significantly, while we pretty much are betting that our own internal players will get better. The same goes for those other teams' young players, though. Has Howard hit his ceiling? Rose?

• Like 2

When you become a winning team, you still should try to upgrade the squad. One of the priorities of this team this offseason had to be to try to get some frontcourt help. They had 2 shots to do it:

- draft a player, whether it be a power forward or a center . . . ( especially after they got an extra pick )

- sign a free agent that could become a rotational player on the frontline . . . ( using the entire MLE if need be )

They failed to do it on both accounts.

Offseason moves and grades . . .from my perspective using the 4.0 scale:

A = 4

B = 3

C = 2

D = 1

F = 0

- not hiring Avery Johnson: C

- hiring Larry Drew: C. . ( grade should probably be I = incomplete )

- trading the #24 to move down to #27 and acquire the #31 pick: A

- drafting Jordan Crawford: B

- selling that pick for 3 million: F

- re-signing JJ for 6 yrs - 124 million: B

( edit: ) - trading Josh Childress for a 3 million TPE: D

- signing Josh Powell: D

- signing Jason Collins: F

- failing to secure Shaq when everybody else dropped out of the running: D

Total points: 17 . . . divided by 10 actions

Grade: 1.7 = C-

This grade may be even lower, depending on how one views the JJ Max signing.

It may be higher, depending on how good of a hire they think Larry Drew is.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Yep our big men really took care of Howard and the Magic in the playoffs eh? Howard embarassed them, he is too big for Atlanta to handle.

• Premium Member

We probably won't fall out of the playoffs (unless we have a major injury), but we'll fall in seeding as well as in relevancy. Other teams in the East improved significantly, while we pretty much are betting that our own internal players will get better. The same goes for those other teams' young players, though. Has Howard hit his ceiling? Rose?

Exactly. The Hawks stayed stagnant and every single team but Cleveland got better. It isn't rocket science to figure out we're a worse team than we were a year ago.

I am trying to stay positive but not offering Shaq at least a 2 year contract worth 5-6 million is ridiculous! We still make the playoffs but man, What's the logic behind not signing Shaq to an affordable contract?

Who says that Shaq would have accepted that from Atlanta? The only thing I've read is that Shaq wanted more than the MLE to play for the Hawks and I'd bet you anything that dollar for dollar he'd choose the Celtics and their stars over the Hawks every day.

Exactly. The Hawks stayed stagnant and every single team but Cleveland got better. It isn't rocket science to figure out we're a worse team than we were a year ago.

There's also, the fact the the Hawks were the healthiest team

in the nba last season It's hard to be that lucky 2 years in a row.

The Cavs, Celtics , and Magic all had at least 2 starters miss 10+ games.We don't have the depth to handle injuries,

like those team.

I think Marvin was the only starter to miss a game in the first half

of the season, and that was only because he had an upset stomach before we played the Nets.

This is the same thing that is said every year at this time about other teams improving significantly while the Hawks didn't and yet every year we have improved and we've seen the predictions of being passed in the standings prove false.

Miami has certainly passed us, but Cleveland has fallen big time. The Magic are still better than us but they haven't improved and both Carter and Lewis are a year further down their decline. We're even with the Celtics and I don't think they'd beat us in a series. You could argue that Chicago has done enough to catch us but they'll have to prove it on the court first.

In your opinion who has passed the Hawks in the standings?

• Like 1

I don't think the Hawks are a worse team than we were a year ago. We should be better but not by that much. The problem is everyone around us got BETTER. We will not get the #3 seed this year because of that. Teams like Miami, Chicago and Boston will leap frog us for sure probably. We should be able to get the #4 seed but no way we get the #3 IMO.

• Premium Member

Who says that Shaq would have accepted that from Atlanta? The only thing I've read is that Shaq wanted more than the MLE to play for the Hawks and I'd bet you anything that dollar for dollar he'd choose the Celtics and their stars over the Hawks every day.

We swept all those star last year 1st of all and secondly he is reportedly signing for the LLE there of 1.7 million which is significantly less than what we can pay him!

In your opinion who has passed the Hawks in the standings?

Fear the Deer!

• Moderators

We swept all those star last year 1st of all and secondly he is reportedly signing for the LLE there of 1.7 million which is significantly less than what we can pay him!

Fear the Deer!

and, perhaps, the Steer!

~lw3

We may be about to find out

If you think we won't make the playoffs next season you must be f***ed up on some serious drugs. Baring major injuries we will make the playoffs, it's just matter of getting past the 2nd round. Hell, maybe even the first round next year, considering all of the contenders have upgraded.