• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Even Sekou Smith insist that the Hawks and Denver make a trade agreement with each other

JTB

Obviously melo would have to sign an extension before we trade away smoove. Denver fans would laugh in your face but that's because josh isn't a huge star - yet. On the flip side they need to consider armegeddon as witnessed in toronto and cleveland.

Getting an emerging star who lacks only good coaching and tv exposure would be a coup by denver.

They'll probably be hard headed and let him walk though.

Honestly man thats the only thing that I see would hold the trade from happening, melo signing that extension! I dont think he minds playing with Atlanta especially since he see's us being a good team and JJ being locked up for 6 years but im not sure if he would sign a long extension but who knows maybe he does sign a 3 year extension and play with us for 3 years! he cant be ruling us out! and I doubt denver do what cleveland and toronto did and just let him walk, their eyes are open they cant be that dumb! melo is going somewhere thats for sure...... he's only 26 if he doesnt like his situation 3 years from now he will have the opportunity to test the market!

i say melo signs a 3 year extension with the hawks prior a trade!

I didn't see where he said the Hawks have an agreement just that it will be a win-win trade which is rare if Melo signs the extension.

As for me, after Kobe, Melo is my favorite player and probably right there with Kobe at that. I can't get hype till it happens because I am a HUGE Melo fan. But anyway, with Etan Thomas with Horford, Joe and Teague as starters and Marv coming off the bench as a 6th man and likely to be traded as part of a three way, this could be awesome for the Hawks at the end of the day. Even though I really like Marvin, hey, sh*t happens. I wouldn't get hyped until it's official.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

The current ownership isn't looking to add any more large contracts, so this ain't happening. We might as well suck it up and be happy with what we have until someone with deep pockets actually buys the team. :shake_puter:

+1 You guys are just getting your hopes up. I did the same thing when CP3's name was brought up during the whole PaulSquawk thing over the summer. lol

Who would start at PF for us? Melo, Marvin, Al......? I would rather keep Smoove and trade Marvin + Bibby

HA HA so your Atlanta on NBA.com huh? I noticed that. Yeah but I agree with you completly. We shouldn't, and I don't think we would need to trade smoove to get Melo. I think Marvin, Bibby, Crawford, and cash considerations/draft pics would get the job done. that would give us the ability to have a strong sqaud and can keep both AL and smoove... then with what's left try to get Melo to stay.

Obviously melo would have to sign an extension before we trade away smoove. Denver fans would laugh in your face but that's because josh isn't a huge star - yet. On the flip side they need to consider armegeddon as witnessed in toronto and cleveland.

+1

The trade is a no brainer if Melo signs an extension.

If you are in touch with reality, you'd know that ASG ain't giving out no cash to nobody.

If they gave it to JJ they will give it to Melo. The owners have said they would pay the luxury tax for a real difference maker like Lebron.................assuming Melo fits that mold with both his age and ability. Plus he is a mega fan attraction that the ATL would love more then anyone since Nique.

Crawford / Smoove will make more then Melo and a minimum salary guy next year. JR Smith is an expiring contract we could flip for a capable big if Jordan Crawford shows he can score off the bench.

Plus the max contracts will probably go down next season.................if there is a next season.

At some point we have to stop playing it safe. Its just a dream I know. I was originally 100% against this deal in fear of Melo leaving us like Bron did Cleveland. However, JJ and Horford are more talented then any side-kicks on that Cleveland team and are better then anyone on the Knicks or Nets. Then is their the whole tax issue too. Take a homerun swing Sund. Melo may fall in love with the ATL.

• Like 1

I didn't see where he said the Hawks have an agreement just that it will be a win-win trade which is rare if Melo signs the extension.

As for me, after Kobe, Melo is my favorite player and probably right there with Kobe at that. I can't get hype till it happens because I am a HUGE Melo fan. But anyway, with Etan Thomas with Horford, Joe and Teague as starters and Marv coming off the bench as a 6th man and likely to be traded as part of a three way, this could be awesome for the Hawks at the end of the day. Even though I really like Marvin, hey, sh*t happens. I wouldn't get hyped until it's official.

same thing.....win-win situation that they would agree on! likely anyhow.

If they gave it to JJ they will give it to Melo. The owners have said they would pay the luxury tax for a real difference maker like Lebron.................assuming Melo fits that mold with both his age and ability. Plus he is a mega fan attraction that the ATL would love more then anyone since Nique.

Crawford / Smoove will make more then Melo and a minimum salary guy next year. JR Smith is an expiring contract we could flip for a capable big if Jordan Crawford shows he can score off the bench.

Plus the max contracts will probably go down next season.................if there is a next season.

At some point we have to stop playing it safe. Its just a dream I know. I was originally 100% against this deal in fear of Melo leaving us like Bron did Cleveland. However, JJ and Horford are more talented then any side-kicks on that Cleveland team and are better then anyone on the Knicks or Nets. Then is their the whole tax issue too. Take a homerun swing Sund. Melo may fall in love with the ATL.

agreed. we have to stop playing it safe and start making this unit better than ever and here's the opportunity!......Sund/ASG open yo eyes!

HA HA so your Atlanta on NBA.com huh? I noticed that. Yeah but I agree with you completly. We shouldn't, and I don't think we would need to trade smoove to get Melo. I think Marvin, Bibby, Crawford, and cash considerations/draft pics would get the job done. that would give us the ability to have a strong sqaud and can keep both AL and smoove... then with what's left try to get Melo to stay.

lol yea that was me

I say no to trading Josh.

As stated, Marvin, Bibby and Mo for Carmelo satisfies the CBA. Add two number ones and Denver may go for it.

Of course not. We are not a bad enough team for our first round picks to be attractive. I don't understand why people think we can throw our scrubs at Denver for a bonafide superstar. Marvin, Bibby, and Mo are trade filler..not the actual meat.

• Like 4

man +10000000000!!!! this man knows what he talking about! Also I want to add that those worried about melo's contract, shouldnt cause unless it's extended than i doubt the hawks would even consider him, plus i know sund wouldnt try to sign him unless melo agreed to an extension upon a trade for him!...anyways thats nothing to worry about! cause we know how sund operates!

A line up of this can get us places folks!......

-bibby/teague/jordan Crawford

-JJ-JRsmith/jordan crawford

-Melo-Marvin/pape sy

-Horford-Powell

-Etan Thomas-Zaza/Collins

we going places wit that lineup fa show!!!! and we still have players that are interchangable, like horford can still play some center and marvin can play some time at the 4 if needed! ATL we do this and we good!

I would hate to see Smith go but this line up would be very dangerous in any conference. Pencil me in as a supporter.

• Like 1

We have had big dog robinson here once we dont need part deux.............

That's a bad comparison. Carmelo is a superstar in his prime not. He's not on the decline and I still think his best years are ahead of him. Plus, Carmelo is a better scored by far.

• Like 1

I would love to trade for Carmelo without giving up Smoove...something like a Crawford, Marvin, Bibby and 2 first rounders...however I think the Nuggs will want Smoove or Horford in the trade. In this case, I would still trade Smoove and crawford for Melo and JR...I love Smoove but when you get a chance to get a bonified superstar, you have to pull the trigger. GO HAWKS!!!

Always run the numbers, when it comes to this ownership group:

If Melo signs the 3/65 extension ( which would pay him 21.67 a year ), and Horford gets a deal that starts him out at 13 million, the Hawks would have a payroll of roughly 74 million . . . amongst 8 players . . . with 5 more players to add. So we're possibly talking about a payroll of 77+ million in the 2011 - 12 season.

Like I said in the other thread with people kicking around the Crawford + Marvin + draft pick scenario, the ASG will probably freeze up making that deal, because they'd be deep into luxury tax land.

Would I do this trade? Of course. But this ownership group is not a risk taker.

But there are two reasons to do this deal without Melo signing the extension right away:

1) If the trade doesn't at least get us deep into the Eastern Conference Finals, you can simply choose to not re-sign him, and have a ton of money off the books . . even at that point being possibly under the salary cap.

2) If it does work, and Melo desires to come back to ATL, you can sign him to a long term deal that will start out paying him significantly less than the 21.7 mill that he'd make in 2011 under the 3/65 deal.

The MAIN concern though, and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this, is that Smoove is our defensive energizer. This trade makes us a high caliber offensive team, but does little ( if any ), to improve our defense . . unless Horford becomes a dominant rebounder at PF and improves his shot blocking.

This is a deal that I would do, but somebody ( or a collective of bodies ) better come close to replacing what we'd lose defensively with the departure of Smoove.

If we had a legit center here, Smoove would actually be the guy that I'd keep, and trade Horford. But with virtually no one to man the middle, Horford would have to be the one that stays.